News Article: Georgiev requests trade

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He’ll be an RFA so I don’t think we will lose him for nothing but I agree with your other points. He is a younger goalie and I can see where he’s coming from in not wanting to be a career backup. If that’s his ambition I think it better that he finds a new team to play for.

His QO is 2.65 mil. There's zero chance we are offering that to him. If it gets to that point, we'll let him become a UFA.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
While this could be entirely unsubstantiated, I've seen a bunch mention heavy interest from Edmonton. Maybe it's just people reposting for the clicks, and I sure as hell don't have any inside info.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He’s turned his season around and held down the fort while Igor’s been out injured and then afterwards dealt with his Covid issue. I don’t see the Rangers moving on from him this season. He’s not Igor but he’s helped keep us from falling in the standings and we’ll need a good backup for the stretch run and playoffs (assuming we make it—and at this point we should).

That said with other more important young players to sign and re-sign in the next couple years I don’t see us qualifying a $2.450 mil contract for a backup goalie. He’s got cap casualty written all over his future with us. Next year I expect we’ll have some other cheaper backup—just how cheap or how good will be the question. Sometimes you go too cheap and you get shit. I suspect Alex will be moved in the summer.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Oh he's been really solid. However I do honestly think Kinkaid is a more than capable back up, so if he could be part of a deal in our favor, I cannot see why you wouldn't want to sell high.
Truth. Sell high. He should have at least 1B value but. And I have been impressed with AG. But he’s too costly and backup goalie is fungible. If Igor goes down long term, we’re done-for anyhow.

Reactions: bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think it would be unwise to move Alex at this point in time. Igor’s been hurt once and has gotten Covid. People have gotten Covid more than once and the omicron variant may be less deadly but it’s also a lot more contagious. Kinkaid’s been around a while but he’s 32 and more an AHL’er now than an NHL’er. IMO he should be our third option. I’d rather not roll the dice with him. I’d also rather have more than one backup option. As a for instance the Hurricane's today signed a prospect out of college because Andersen, Raanta and two AHL goalies are currently out of action. Playoff teams are likely not only to lose players to injury but also to losing them for however long to Covid. Depth at all positions might turn out to be really important. This is another weird year and things can go to shit really fast.

The time to move on from Alex is in the off season.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Why help edmonton without helping ourselves?
Yeah, a 3rd is way too cheap to sell Geo. If something happens to Igor, you're scrambling again. A high-to-mid 2nd might entice, but I think you're better off putting together a package to really address a need. I'd add to Georgiev if it puts someone like Holloway (or to a lesser extent Bourgault) in play. I don't know what Edmonton's needs are in their prospect pool, but that's the kind of deal I'd look for.

Reactions: egelband

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I have zero faith in Kinkaid personally so if you’re dealing Georgiev mid year, you’ll have to get a nice return (at least a 2nd) and get another worthwhile backup. Seems like a lot of moving parts so this seems like more of an off-season trade to me.
Kinkaid stats are still better than Georgievs, by a landslide

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
And yet, he's an inferior goalie and anyone watching knows that.
I disagree. Georgiev looks way worse even during his “hot streak”. His rebound control is perhaps the worst I’ve ever seen in a Ranger goalie. He swims around in the crease and leaves so many loose pucks that if not for our D would lead to 5 goals against per game. The difference lately is our defense has tightened up and been great, not that Georgiev has been great

Reactions: cheech70

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Oh he's been really solid. However I do honestly think Kinkaid is a more than capable back up, so if he could be part of a deal in our favor, I cannot see why you wouldn't want to sell high.
Kinkaid as a full time backup would be horrible. He seems like a great teammate but he's just an okay AHL goalie at this point in his career who can come up to the NHL and give you decent play vs bad teams (like he did vs Arizona) but having him as the permanent backup with Igor's injury issues would be a disaster. He was equal or better to the bad version of Georgiev, but the Georgiev we've gotten since Igor went down is head and shoulders better than Kinkaid.

If and when Georgiev is moved, we're going to need to acquire a better back up goalie than Kinkaid.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
He really cannot be moved this season--too much uncertainly as Igor--as much as I love him--just cannot stay on the ice. Every few weeks, there's something else...and Georgie seems to play well with the bigger workload that can be expected when Igor is out.

Wait til the offseason/draft, we'll still have his rights, and there may be more suitors as teams evaluate their situations in net (and may sign him longer term to starter money.)

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad