George McPhee an awful GM

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
May not have said it on here but have amongst friends for years. He belongs in jail for wasting ovis prime with his terrible drafts a d deadline moves. Always getting veterans long in the tooth or meh players other teams had given up on. We all know the erat trade. Just absolutely terrible gm.

09 d Corp when ovi was carrying the team
Poti, Morrison, juricna, green, schultz, Erskine with 3ormore in net. Penguins should be ashamed of themselves it went 7 games

Reactions: Bleedred

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
George Mcphee may never get his name on the cup, but what he did this eyar will never be accomplished ever again in sports, and the job he did is the best job a gm in aany sport has ever done.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I'd say being tops in the Pacific warrants this assessment, but completely reversed.
Ovi had two of the best regular season teams surrounding him when they ran into the Penguins. Cant really fault Ovi's failures. McPhee had a great arsenal of players to support the high octane offense the Caps have ran for years.

May not have said it on here but have amongst friends for years. He belongs in jail for wasting ovis prime with his terrible drafts a d deadline moves. Always getting veterans long in the tooth or meh players other teams had given up on. We all know the erat trade. Just absolutely terrible gm.

Poti, Morrison, juricna, green, schultz, Erskine with 3ormore in net. Penguins should be ashamed of themselves it went 7 games

You're both wrong. GMGM built teams that should have gone further than they did.

I'll ask a simple question and let see who can guess the right answer. How many NHL experienced coachs did GMGM hire in almost 2 decades as a GM in 2 franchises?

Exactly 1. Gerard Gallant with Vegas
During the Ovechkin era McPhee hired 4 coaches with a grand total of ZERO games coached as an NHL head coach.
Glen Hanlon
Bruce Boudreau. He's the only one still coaching in the NHL
Dale Hunter
Adam Oates

Oates' failures finally got him sacked. First thing GMBM did was hire Trotz.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Yeah, this doesn't change what he did this year, and what he did this year doesn't change what he did in Washington either.

His resume before this year was really nothing great and he had been employed for a LONG time as an NHL GM prior to this season.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
You're both wrong. GMGM built teams that should have gone further than they did.

I'll ask a simple question and let see who can guess the right answer. How many NHL experienced coachs did GMGM hire in almost 2 decades as a GM in 2 franchises?

Exactly 1. Gerard Gallant with Vegas
During the Ovechkin era McPhee hired 4 coaches with a grand total of ZERO games coached as an NHL head coach.
Glen Hanlon
Bruce Boudreau. He's the only one still coaching in the NHL
Dale Hunter
Adam Oates

Oates' failures finally got him sacked. First thing GMBM did was hire Trotz.

Hiring those coaches also makes him a bad GM. Also more important than Trotz gmbm signed real dmen in nisky and orpik

And if you cant see how fundamentally flawed those powerhouse teams were that he created dont know what to tell you.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Poor OP. Credibility all but gone. Who would have expected George McPhee's Golden Knights to go that far in the post season..

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Hiring those coaches also makes him a bad GM. Also more important than Trotz gmbm signed real dmen in nisky and orpik

And if you cant see how fundamentally flawed those powerhouse teams were that he created dont know what to tell you.

Oh I absolutely understand the patchwork D along with the 2C revolving door were contributing factors to the failures but a quality coach can go a long way in covering deficiencies. In this case, the sheer talent level of players he did draft, some of which fell into his lap, covered for his inability to address those issues.

Reactions: Caps8112

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Oh I absolutely understand the patchwork D along with the 2C revolving door were contributing factors to the failures but a quality coach can go a long way in covering deficiencies. In this case, the sheer talent level of players he did draft, some of which fell into his lap, covered for his inability to address those issues.
We agree for the most part. I wont give him credit for drafting ovi or Backstrom. Couple others were good finds. Imo he was unwilling to make the tough moves to win.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
We agree for the most part. I wont give him credit for drafting ovi or Backstrom. Couple others were good finds. Imo he was unwilling to make the tough moves to win.

We do agree except which fault caused more havoc. I agree completely with the bold.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He built his roster for the short term which is fine and dandy until you realize their messed up draft position, lack of young prospects and higher picks. They might suffer a bit of long term pain much like the panthers who gathered a lot of underrated veterans but sucked at drafting. Mcphee definately sucks at drafting.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
54c.jpg

Reactions: Hivemind

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Never seen someone try to argue someone deserves jail time for being bad at their job. Interesting take.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
GMGM............the guy well known for not rounding out Washington's roster to get over the hump while at the same time gets no credit for developing a tremendous core. I know, I know..........that was what his name - well, WTF, who hired what his name?

This thread was a fun read - all the comments that Vegas will cool off. Yep.......finally did in the Stanley Cup Finals against a very hungry Washington team on their last gasp chance to win it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad