George McPhee an awful GM

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
McPhee can build a good foundation. He did that with the Capitals. He won't be the GM that takes a franchise from perennial playoff team to bonafide Stanley Cup contender.

I dunno about that. New GM's haven't fixed the Caps either. People said these same things about Coach Q after his long run of not-winning in STL. He's been fine in Chicago.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
First of all, McPhee is extending his career a little because he's a blue-eyed fast talker. They like shiny things in Vegas and they need PR. McPhee will eventually disappear like Rick Dudley when people catch up to the fact he is a doofus.

However, I'm under the impression people think Vegas benefitted from generous draft rules and are under ideal conditions to build a great team fast. It isn't the case. NHL teams did their homework and the players available were either lacking in talent and/or chained to nausea-inducing contracts. McPhee is coming to double realisation that:

A) Rotating assets very quickly in the salary cap era is very difficult. He's stuck with the worse group of players in the entire league, yet it is the *4th best paid* group. GMs are extremely conscious of these things.

B) The value of picks throughout the league seems to be increasing.

Best and only course of action: wait until march to trade as many players as you can. The salary concerns will be lessened, nervous teams will be looking to fill needs and maybe Gallant will have given second life to some of these outcasts, increasing their value.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
One move that was really panned on expansion day was getting Haula and Tuch from Minnesota but that one really worked out well in hindsight.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
eating-crow.jpg

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
First of all, McPhee is extending his career a little because he's a blue-eyed fast talker. They like shiny things in Vegas and they need PR. McPhee will eventually disappear like Rick Dudley when people catch up to the fact he is a doofus.

However, I'm under the impression people think Vegas benefitted from generous draft rules and are under ideal conditions to build a great team fast. It isn't the case. NHL teams did their homework and the players available were either lacking in talent and/or chained to nausea-inducing contracts. McPhee is coming to double realisation that:

A) Rotating assets very quickly in the salary cap era is very difficult. He's stuck with the worse group of players in the entire league, yet it is the *4th best paid* group. GMs are extremely conscious of these things.

B) The value of picks throughout the league seems to be increasing.

Best and only course of action: wait until march to trade as many players as you can. The salary concerns will be lessened, nervous teams will be looking to fill needs and maybe Gallant will have given second life to some of these outcasts, increasing their value.
yep yep seems like thats the cause huh

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sometimes people forget how quickly the Capitals rebounded from a full fledged fire sale and tank. They were out of the playoffs for 3 years including the lockout season. They only had 2 top 5 picks in their lineup when they returned to the playoffs. Don't forget the screw job the league did to the Capitals with that snake draft that had a team with the 3rd worst record in the league drafting 14th or 16th. Cant remember exactly. They didn't even get a player out of that draft. Take the Caps complete tear down to the playoffs in 2 top 5 picks and then look at the Oilers. Look at the Islanders and the Panthers too. He couldn't close the deal. Neither could David Poile and most people think he is a pretty good GM

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is a topic where I'm not sure you can blame people for what they thought at the time. Nobody had Vegas doing what they're doing. Not even close. They're the 9th highest scoring team since 05-06 right now. At best, it was they won't be as terrible as people think, but they'll still be bad. Bottom 8 instead of bottom 3. Not top 2 this year, and the 8th highest points% since 05-06.

Maybe in a bold prediction thread, where someone says Vegas wins the Cup as a joke, but what they're doing so far is ridiculous, and completely unpredictable. Predicting Arizona in 1st place would've been seen as more sane. It's funny reading the no doubt predictions made about Vegas back in the summer, but that shows how crazy a story it is.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is a topic where I'm not sure you can blame people for what they thought at the time. Nobody had Vegas doing what they're doing. Not even close. They're the 9th highest scoring team since 05-06 right now. At best, it was they won't be as terrible as people think, but they'll still be bad. Bottom 8 instead of bottom 3. Not top 2 this year, and the 8th highest points% since 05-06.

Maybe in a bold prediction thread, where someone says Vegas wins the Cup as a joke, but what they're doing so far is ridiculous, and completely unpredictable. Predicting Arizona in 1st place would've been seen as more sane. It's funny reading the no doubt predictions made about Vegas back in the summer, but that shows how crazy a story it is.
You can when the new way to knock the team is that the league handed them a great team. I don't mind any reminder that the majority of people felt Vegas botched up the expansion draft.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This is the same guy that traded Forsberg for Erat and failed to get Washington over the hump. It's going to take more than one season to take away from that
Agreed. People love to bump stuff like this as if they predicted Vegas to be first in the West. It's still a bad team on paper and they're winning games on determination. Once the honeymoon phase is over, it's still hard to see this team doing much anytime soon.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Every GM makes a bad trade at some point.

Exactly.

And what does a bad trade a few years ago have to do with the obviously good job he has done putting together this team?

Does he get no credit for picking players like Karlsson over more well known names? Hired a pretty damn good coach. Has also added extra draft picks while putting together the best expansion team in history.

Some credit where it is due. To slag the guy at this particular moment comes off looking pretty silly.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Disappointed I didn't post in this thread, would have been interesting. Agree with the general sentiment of the thread, this result has been a complete blindside. I was sure Vegas would be awful and GMGM was wearing his kiddie gloves with the other GM's

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Ask Caps fans, he's still trash. The team is overachieving, I'm happy for the team. They're gonna crumble and fall sooner rather than later. They won't be this good or close to it next season.

Obviously they're not this good. Or are you telling me Engelland and Sbisa and so on are real good NHLers?

Reactions: SotasicA

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ask Caps fans, he's still trash. The team is overachieving, I'm happy for the team. They're gonna crumble and fall sooner rather than later. They won't be this good or close to it next season.

Obviously they're not this good. Or are you telling me Engelland and Sbisa and so on are real good NHLers?

ROFL. You're embarrassing yourself.

I'm the first to admit I thought McPhee botched it but give credit where it is due. You make it sound like people cannot improve and learn.

Vegas has had a perfect storm but I'm happy for them and happy to be wrong. What a great story and what a great way to learn hockey for their new fans. Do not see any reason to take away from their accomplishment or enjoyment of their teams success. You're acting like the Grynch and Christmas is over.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He's good for drafting and making a team competitive, but definitely not the dude you want in charge of trying to put a team over the top or even into contender status.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
ROFL. You're embarrassing yourself.

I'm the first to admit I thought McPhee botched it but give credit where it is due. You make it sound like people cannot improve and learn.

Vegas has had a perfect storm but I'm happy for them and happy to be wrong. What a great story and what a great way to learn hockey for their new fans. Do not see any reason to take away from their accomplishment or enjoyment of their teams success. You're acting like the Grynch and Christmas is over.
Wtf are you on about? I said that I'm happy for Vegas, but i doubt it'll last. I'm rooting for them but i doubt that their GM is good for them in the longhaul.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Wtf are you on about? I said that I'm happy for Vegas, but i doubt it'll last. I'm rooting for them but i doubt that their GM is good for them in the longhaul.

Back handed compliments. They'll come back down next year etc etc. Telling them their GM is shit.

It's like going to someone's wedding and saying "I'm happy for you but she's ugly and will leave you next year".

Reactions: Northern Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad