George McPhee an awful GM

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Why did Vegas even appoint him as their GM?

He failed to surround Ovechkin and Backstrom with a great team. He panicked and traded a bluechip prospect in Filip Forsberg for an old declining meh player in Erat just to try to save his ass.

He said **** our future, gonna trade a potential star just so i might stick around here. Selfish as **** and dumb.

He took Haula + Tuch when he had the upperhand vs Minnesota. Dumba could've been Vegas's player by now.

He overplayed his hand and trade Methot for a 2nd round pick in 2020 and a goalie drafted in the 7th round. That goalie, if he makes it is, is a long way from doing anything for them. A 2nd in 2020, damn... well that may or may not be a bust. Either way that pick will most likely not be on the team before the 2022-2023 season..

He could've kept Methot and flipped him @ the trade deadline for +1st rounder... dumb trade.

Sbisa, Emelin etc were real bad picks, but he'll retain and dump them @ the deadline this season for some mid-late picks in 2020 or something.

All in all i feel like McPhee isn't the right person, he's not competent enough IMHO.

What do Vegas fans and fans of other teams feel towards him and his decisions so far?
I'd say being tops in the Pacific warrants this assessment, but completely reversed.
Ovi had two of the best regular season teams surrounding him when they ran into the Penguins. Cant really fault Ovi's failures. McPhee had a great arsenal of players to support the high octane offense the Caps have ran for years.

Reactions: TRG

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Its a regular season award.. Jets went from like lottery pick to 2nd best in the league. Their GM deserves the credit. McPhee was handed a roster of guys he could choose. And lets be honest, if u take away the guys he was given to take this guy or not take that guy... There goes Fleury Marchessault Haula and Tuch... Also Reilly Smith.. Who are they then?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its a regular season award.. Jets went from like lottery pick to 2nd best in the league. Their GM deserves the credit. McPhee was handed a roster of guys he could choose. And lets be honest, if u take away the guys he was given to take this guy or not take that guy... There goes Fleury Marchessault Haula and Tuch... Also Reilly Smith.. Who are they then?

It look Cheveldayoff 7 years to build his team. What year did all the genius happen?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
It look Cheveldayoff 7 years to build his team. What year did all the genius happen?

This year. Its called draft and develop for a reason. It takes time. Mcphee was handed a sheet of paper with guys who were in the prime of their careers and got to choose which guy he wanted. Chevy drafted a guy at 18.. Developed them for a few years in JR or the AHL and reeped the rewards. Its a regular season award and accept it or not.. The Jets went from lottery pick to 2nd best team in the league. Vegas over achieved.. Thats great and that's what the Jack Adams is for .

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
A ton? I count the Tatar trade which can still pay off for Vegas.
I think too many dman is another. There were better players than Sbisa from the Canucks and Hudon/Khaira were also not picked for some reason. The Shipachov is a another although I can see it from both sides. Also, as a Leafs fan didn't like seeing Leipsic traded away for little. One of the few trades Benning has won.

This offseason will be huge for GMGM. Its arguably the harder offseason as he has to make decisions on pending UFA's and free agents.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think too many dman is another. There were better players than Sbisa from the Canucks and Hudon/Khaira were also not picked for some reason. The Shipachov is a another although I can see it from both sides. Also, as a Leafs fan didn't like seeing Leipsic traded away for little. One of the few trades Benning has won.

This offseason will be huge for GMGM. Its arguably the harder offseason as he has to make decisions on pending UFA's and free agents.

Leipsic was not gelling with the system at all and thus his value was probably negligible.

As to the Shipachyov situation there's only one side that matters and it's the side that Ship refused to do what he was told both in the NHL and in the AHL and on a team that was so dependant on chemistry, teamwork, and buying in full on the coaching system that would have been pure cancer. Getting rid of him was absolutely the right move.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Vegas has by far the worst team in the league and I'm surprised how little future assets they got for icing team that abysmal.

Methot trade is another weak trade, I was just saying that why didn't he pick Raanta/Grubauer and sell them or keep as future potential starters. They have so few valuable pieces on the roster left and just 1 2018 1st rounder, 1 2nd round pick and 0 3rd round picks.

How's humble taste?

(this thread is amazing!)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This year. Its called draft and develop for a reason. It takes time. Mcphee was handed a sheet of paper with guys who were in the prime of their careers and got to choose which guy he wanted. Chevy drafted a guy at 18.. Developed them for a few years in JR or the AHL and reeped the rewards. Its a regular season award and accept it or not.. The Jets went from lottery pick to 2nd best team in the league. Vegas over achieved.. Thats great and that's what the Jack Adams is for .

By your logic, McPhee's work in Washington finally paid off after drafting Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Carlson, which yielded a Stanley Cup win, as opposed to a third round exit.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
No it isn't. Vegas was given a roster that everybody though was going to do terribly in the regular season but they passed expectations by a mile.
I don't feel bad at all. It's not like Tampa gave them anything that helped them win. Jason Garrison did nothing! >: D

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't feel bad at all. It's not like Tampa gave them anything that helped them win. Jason Garrison did nothing! >: D

Jets gave them Thorburn. Im not salty either. I just fail to see the logic.. Look at who he actually picked.. Wasnt given. Gallant Deserves the credit.. Mcphee? Not so much.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do people really need to bump threads like this to get people to eat crow? I really don't think McPhee was that great of a GM when this thread was made almost a year ago. He absolutely wasn't the worst of all time or terrible either.

I mean, Jim Rutherford had years and years and years and years of mediocrity (like 5 playoff berths in 20 years?, even though he did win a cup and go to the finals twice before in Carolina) before coming to Pittsburgh. People wanted to get everyone to eat some crow over him after that first cup in 2016. Yeah, he's done a good job in Pittsburgh, but he did a meh job in Carolina. It doesn't change the first 20 years, but it does soften it a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad