George McPhee an awful GM

Feb 24, 2017
The way McPhee handled Shipachyov was shameful and bad asset management. He should not have won GM of the year, it is more evidence that the NHL awards being a gongshow and lacking credibility.
Shippashov’s entitled little snot attitude was shameful and bad. Any blame you wanna throw on McPhee is for drawing up that contract without knowing the disruptive attitude of the player.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
After much experimentation with large supplues of crow I've found crow tastes really good if you deep fry it and dip it in honey mustard sauce. You can also put it on a biscuit if so inclined.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
May not have said it on here but have amongst friends for years. He belongs in jail for wasting ovis prime with his terrible drafts a d deadline moves. Always getting veterans long in the tooth or meh players other teams had given up on. We all know the erat trade. Just absolutely terrible gm.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of McPhee and his time in Washington. "Terrible drafts" is not one of them.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Disappointed I didn't post in this thread, would have been interesting. Agree with the general sentiment of the thread, this result has been a complete blindside. I was sure Vegas would be awful and GMGM was wearing his kiddie gloves with the other GM's
Skimmed thru this thread hoping I'd find myself making a terrible prediction and instead I found where I skimmed thru this thread trying to find it months ago. The disappointment hits again.

I still don't trust GMGM. That Tatar trade, lel

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
There are plenty of valid criticisms of McPhee and his time in Washington. "Terrible drafts" is not one of them.
So your giving him credit for the first round no brainer picks? Holtby was a later pick but he got lucky more then anything. He wanted varly or neuvy to be his goalie. It just ended up being Holtby.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The way McPhee handled Shipachyov was shameful and bad asset management. He should not have won GM of the year, it is more evidence that the NHL awards being a gongshow and lacking credibility.
I guess we should probably fire the GM of his KHL team.....They also sent him down and he refused. Retired from 2 leagues in 1 year. Also benched by natl team this last cup.

Reactions: Jeff Babchuk

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why did Vegas even appoint him as their GM?

He failed to surround Ovechkin and Backstrom with a great team. He panicked and traded a bluechip prospect in Filip Forsberg for an old declining meh player in Erat just to try to save his ass.

He said **** our future, gonna trade a potential star just so i might stick around here. Selfish as **** and dumb.

He took Haula + Tuch when he had the upperhand vs Minnesota. Dumba could've been Vegas's player by now.

He overplayed his hand and trade Methot for a 2nd round pick in 2020 and a goalie drafted in the 7th round. That goalie, if he makes it is, is a long way from doing anything for them. A 2nd in 2020, damn... well that may or may not be a bust. Either way that pick will most likely not be on the team before the 2022-2023 season..

He could've kept Methot and flipped him @ the trade deadline for +1st rounder... dumb trade.

Sbisa, Emelin etc were real bad picks, but he'll retain and dump them @ the deadline this season for some mid-late picks in 2020 or something.

All in all i feel like McPhee isn't the right person, he's not competent enough IMHO.

What do Vegas fans and fans of other teams feel towards him and his decisions so far?

had to look at the start date of thread

someone is eating crow

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Shippashov’s entitled little snot attitude was shameful and bad. Any blame you wanna throw on McPhee is for drawing up that contract without knowing the disruptive attitude of the player.

Shipachyov had every right to be upset, McPhee baited and switched him making him think he was going to get the opportunity to get top-six minutes, but instead ended up being unable to play since McPhee was worried about losing Griffin Reinhart (a replacement level player) on waivers. Shipachyov had the option of sign with other teams or not uproot his family and stay in Russia; it is important to keep in mind that if his wife did not speak English. The Olympics were also a factor for him as well when he signed to play in the NHL, not the AHL.

But if you want to keep thinking if these players are "entitled" if they don't act like robots, go ahead.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I guess we should probably fire the GM of his KHL team.....They also sent him down and he refused. Retired from 2 leagues in 1 year. Also benched by natl team this last cup.

According to Wikipedia he had 25 points in 22 games in the KHL last season, so he has been doing something right. I also cannot speak to the competency of the KHL GM, but go ahead and appeal to authority.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Points aren
According to Wikipedia he had 25 points in 22 games in the KHL last season, so he has been doing something right. I also cannot speak to the competency of the KHL GM, but go ahead and appeal to authority.
Points aren't everything. He had a goal in like 30 minutes of ice time for VGK. You are speculating a LOT about what went down. I only go off the fact that vgk, ska sp, and the Russian national team dropped him like he's hot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So your giving him credit for the first round no brainer picks? Holtby was a later pick but he got lucky more then anything. He wanted varly or neuvy to be his goalie. It just ended up being Holtby.

So, trading Eminger and a pick to trade up and take Carlson is luck? Kuzy? Luck? Green at 30oa was luck? OK

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This is ridiculous.
The Capitals achieved plenty of success drafting in the later stages of the 1st round (Green, Carlson, Johansson, Kuznetsov, etc). Those aren't "no brainer" picks in the mid/late 20s.
There's only a few franchises who achieve significant success outside of the first round in the NHL draft. While finding late gems wasn't a hallmark of McPhee's tenure, that's also true of basically every other franchise in the league outside of Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Detroit. Depending on how you define a "career player," only around 25% of 2nd rounders become career NHL players, and only around 12% of players drafted in the 3rd round or later make it. GMGM's drafts are about average in that respect. Since the mid-2000s, those drafts scored wins outside the 1st round on Mathieu Perreault, Semyon Varlamov, Michael Neuvirth, Braden Holtby, Dmitry Orlov, Cody Eakin, and Philipp Grubauer with the possibility of Connor Carrick, Christian Djoos, Chandler Stephenson, Madison Bowey, and/or Zach Sanford joining those ranks.
It's also ridiculous to assume he "wanted" Neuvy or Varly to be his goalie. He drafted Varlamov and Neuvirth when the team desperately needed goalie prospects, and they helped fill the gap (and filled it well, especially Varlamov). Ultimately Varlamov demanded a starter's salary and was traded (for a king's ransom, mind you), and Holtby beat out Neuvirth in the long run. But none of that is who he "wanted" to be goalie, rather than management reacting to the need for a goalie in 2006 and drafing multiple goalies in 2006 as a result. All of this also runs counter to your 1st round "no brainer" narrative, given that none of these three goalies (nor Grubauer for that matter) were 1st round selections.

There are tons of ways to disparage GMGM for his performance in Washington. Drafting is simply not one of them.

Feb 24, 2017
Shipachyov had every right to be upset, McPhee baited and switched him making him think he was going to get the opportunity to get top-six minutes, but instead ended up being unable to play since McPhee was worried about losing Griffin Reinhart (a replacement level player) on waivers. Shipachyov had the option of sign with other teams or not uproot his family and stay in Russia; it is important to keep in mind that if his wife did not speak English. The Olympics were also a factor for him as well when he signed to play in the NHL, not the AHL.

But if you want to keep thinking if these players are "entitled" if they don't act like robots, go ahead.
Could the bait and switch not have been the other way around?

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Could the bait and switch not have been the other way around?

That would suggest that Vadim was essentially trying to grift a paycheck. I just have a hard time believing that to be the case. I think it is more likely an average GM in McPhee made a mistake by overvaluing Reinhart, he wouldn't be the first GM to make that mistake.

Feb 24, 2017
That would suggest that Vadim was essentially trying to grift a paycheck. I just have a hard time believing that to be the case. I think it is more likely an average GM in McPhee made a mistake by overvaluing Reinhart, he wouldn't be the first GM to make that mistake.
And the player in question wouldn’t be the first lazy theiving player from abroad or from home. Anything is possible.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
So, trading Eminger and a pick to trade up and take Carlson is luck? Kuzy? Luck? Green at 30oa was luck? OK

He also drafted Gustafsson and Schultz before those picks in their respective drafts. So yeah, there was some luck involved with those picks

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

97: Boynton
98: Barch
99: ...
00: Sutherby, Pettinger
01: Oduya
02: Eminger, Semin, Gordon
03: Fehr
04: Ovechkin, Schultz, Green
05:...
06: Backstrom, Varlamov, Neuvirth, Perreault
07: Alzner
08: Carlson, Holtby
09: Johansson, Orlov, Eakin
10: Kuznetsov, Grubauer
11: (no pick in first 3 rounds) [maybe Boyd finally makes it?]
12: Forsberg, Wilson, Carrick, Djoos (Stephenson)
13: Burakovsky (Bowey)
14: Vrana (Vanecek, Gersich, Walker)

From 2006 to 2014, he drafted pretty good.

15 of the 25 players that played in the PO were drafted under him. Also Beagle was a UD FA signing, so you can pretty much put it at 16.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Points aren

Points aren't everything. He had a goal in like 30 minutes of ice time for VGK. You are speculating a LOT about what went down. I only go off the fact that vgk, ska sp, and the Russian national team dropped him like he's hot.
Also played in all their Playoff Games.
His Contract ended
And just signed with Dynamo last month

Try again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad