Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To put things in perspective, one of the main reasons the Habs have underperformed is because they have a beer magnate overseeing Hockey Ops. That doesn't speak well to Molson's own leadership, as he can't admit he's awful at that job.

That awful job he's doing is exactly why Bergevin got an absurd extension before the contract he was on had even expired. He also gave Bergevin carte blanche to sign and re-sign all those buddies, sychophants and do-nothings.

Apologists, enablers and sycophants, as I've dubbed them in past posts.

There are just no boundaries in this ownership group's overseeing of the management contingent. Any GM would have been fired following the disastrous 2017-18 season. Geoff, speaking on behalf of the ownership group, pontificated high and wide about how no stone would be left unturned, how there needed to be wholesale changes and how the then situation was unacceptable.

With all these feel-good speeches Geoff gave as the 2017-18 was winding down, what was his first post-season announcement? Confirming Bergevin would still be the GM. His second move? Digging further into the absurdity that while the season and everything about it was "unacceptable", Geoff announced that ownership announced that continuing with the individual who was responsible for the decisions that led to the disastrous result, was acceptable.

Luckily, Bergevin had the best off season of his tenure in 2018. But, that could have easily gone the other way as there was no indication based on his past record, that he might have been able to implement viable corrective measures and results within such a short timespan.

How clueless is Geoff? Sits next to his GM at the year end presser following the worst or one of the worst seasons in Habs's history and instead of dealing head on with the elephant in the room, his prepared speech was about improving the patrons's food experience at the BC. Priorities, shpariorities.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Apologists, enablers and sycophants, as I've dubbed them in past posts.

There are just no boundaries in this ownership group's overseeing of the management contingent. Any GM would have been fired following the disastrous 2017-18 season. Geoff, speaking on behalf of the ownership group, pontificated high and wide about how no stone would be left unturned, how there needed to be wholesale changes and how the then situation was unacceptable.

With all these feel-good speeches Geoff gave as the 2017-18 was winding down, what was his first post-season announcement? Confirming Bergevin would still be the GM. His second move? Digging further into the absurdity that while the season and everything about it was "unacceptable", Geoff announced that ownership announced that continuing with the individual who was responsible for the decisions that led to the disastrous result, was acceptable.

Luckily, Bergevin had the best off season of his tenure in 2018. But, that could have easily gone the other way as there was no indication based on his past record, that he might have been able to implement viable corrective measures and results within such a short timespan.

How clueless is Geoff? Sits next to his GM at the year end presser following the worst or one of the worst seasons in Habs's history and instead of dealing head on with the elephant in the room, his prepared speech was about improving the patrons's food experience at the BC. Priorities, shpariorities.

Its a good post that summarizes well the situation.

for me, personally, I always liked the magic around our team and how we did things differently. There was always a bond between the fans and the players that felt more important than management, to a point. When Gainey took a walk with Kovalev, when Saku came back from his cancer, when sheldon sourray became public enemy #1 on the powerplay. I'm talking about our worst years and I still have fond memories. Yes , we felt short, but I saw defiance in our team.

I saw that defiance this year, too. seldom moments, but the romantic relationship I had with the org is over. when you lose radulov and markov in one offseason, you just basically send me a message that you don't care about my eye candy. I believe, unlike you, that we are heading in the right direction, but I wished I had enjoyed the ride more the last couple of years. I enjoyed our season, and I hope we will build on it.

as far as owners are concerned... when I'll see Geoff Molson as emotional about the habs as george gillette, when I will see him create a family, I'll start to respect him. His ''improved'' experience speech ... it did it for me man, I realized how stupid and money-driven he was.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its a good post that summarizes well the situation.

for me, personally, I always liked the magic around our team and how we did things differently. There was always a bond between the fans and the players that felt more important than management, to a point. When Gainey took a walk with Kovalev, when Saku came back from his cancer, when sheldon sourray became public enemy #1 on the powerplay. I'm talking about our worst years and I still have fond memories. Yes , we felt short, but I saw defiance in our team.

I saw that defiance this year, too. seldom moments, but the romantic relationship I had with the org is over. when you lose radulov and markov in one offseason, you just basically send me a message that you don't care about my eye candy. I believe, unlike you, that we are heading in the right direction, but I wished I had enjoyed the ride more the last couple of years. I enjoyed our season, and I hope we will build on it.

as far as owners are concerned... when I'll see Geoff Molson as emotional about the habs as george gillette, when I will see him create a family, I'll start to respect him. His ''improved'' experience speech ... it did it for me man, I realized how stupid and money-driven he was.

Thanks, the gyst of my comments was only meant to point out how Geoff's continued role as MB's direct overseer is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

I don't know that I've said anything about which direction we're taking or that it's the right or wrong one. Geoff's cluelessness is abhorrent however, thanks to it, MB was allowed an opportunity to redeem himself in the summer of 2018.

How could I not like what happened last summer? An pronounced accent on youth and speed, depth at center finally arriving, quality prospects (even if short on elite types) in the pipeline, Bouchard in charge of development ... these are positives.

The "right" direction for me is what they did this past season. Not trade away the team's best prospects and draft picks for rentals, amass draft picks, make a smart trade by using the team's cap room.

The nuance is that we're left to ourselves to guess what the real direction might be. We're seeing several elements that involve building from within while we're hearing the GM say that the goal is to make the playoffs in the same year that he claimed the goal was a reset. To me these goals are incompatible within the same, short timespan.

Seems to me that when you rebuild, you hold on to futures, develop and set yourself up for future years. Meantime, if you're going for the playoffs, then you're going to be inclined to sacrifice some long-term assets for short-term gains. The latter did not happen, so were they really vying for the playoffs? It's not clear as the team was knocking at the door til the bitter end of the regular season.

The "right" direction, whether they arrived at it by default or by design (and we will never know since the GM's approach is not to be open about divulging what the club's plan is since he believes that "other GMs might be listening"), is to keep doing what they did last summer and see to it that as many of their best assets are given an opportunity to develop such that the org. has for the first time in a long time, the type of quality organizational depth that is available in such an excess that it is disposable in the right deal to fill a glaring need.

The "right" direction also involves, IMHO, that the GM takes back his silly comment about not "believing in windows" when his highest paid players are on the wrong side of 30, esp. Weber at age 34. There is definitely a window and it needs to be attended to.

Didn't mean to enter into this type of discussion here as it's a thread about Geoff, but since an argument was raised in your post about direction, thought it deserved a response.

Reactions: hvac412 and BLONG7

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks, the gyst of my comments was only meant to point out how Geoff's continued role as MB's direct overseer is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

I don't know that I've said anything about which direction we're taking or that it's the right or wrong one. Geoff's cluelessness is abhorrent however, thanks to it, MB was allowed an opportunity to redeem himself in the summer of 2018.

How could I not like what happened last summer? An pronounced accent on youth and speed, depth at center finally arriving, quality prospects (even if short on elite types) in the pipeline, Bouchard in charge of development ... these are positives.

The "right" direction for me is what they did this past season. Not trade away the team's best prospects and draft picks for rentals, amass draft picks, make a smart trade by using the team's cap room.

The nuance is that we're left to ourselves to guess what the real direction might be. We're seeing several elements that involve building from within while we're hearing the GM say that the goal is to make the playoffs in the same year that he claimed the goal was a reset. To me these goals are incompatible within the same, short timespan.

Seems to me that when you rebuild, you hold on to futures, develop and set yourself up for future years. Meantime, if you're going for the playoffs, then you're going to be inclined to sacrifice some long-term assets for short-term gains. The latter did not happen, so were they really vying for the playoffs? It's not clear as the team was knocking at the door til the bitter end of the regular season.

The "right" direction, whether they arrived at it by default or by design (and we will never know since the GM's approach is not to be open about divulging what the club's plan is since he believes that "other GMs might be listening"), is to keep doing what they did last summer and see to it that as many of their best assets are given an opportunity to develop such that the org. has for the first time in a long time, the type of quality organizational depth that is available in such an excess that it is disposable in the right deal to fill a glaring need.

The "right" direction also involves, IMHO, that the GM takes back his silly comment about not "believing in windows" when his highest paid players are on the wrong side of 30, esp. Weber at age 34. There is definitely a window and it needs to be attended to.

Didn't mean to enter into this type of discussion here as it's a thread about Geoff, but since an argument was raised in your post about direction, thought it deserved a response.
i almost forgot about the window thing,one of the dumbest comments to come out of a gm's mouth,talk about poor asset management i said it before and i'll say it again bargain bin was directly responsible for Price's attitude problem and sub par performances the last couple of years due to his pathetic team building approach.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
i almost forgot about the window thing,one of the dumbest comments to come out of a gm's mouth,talk about poor asset management i said it before and i'll say it again bargain bin was directly responsible for Price's attitude problem and sub par performances the last couple of years due to his pathetic team building approach.
6 yrs of Price @ 6.5M wasted by a GM who says he doesn't believe in " windows of opportunity " and here we are, still.............

Reactions: Miller Time

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Listening to George McPhee radio interview the other day. He said when he was putting together his front office he called Monteral about Larry Carriere. Montreal was exactly obliging. Said they told him they couldn't stop it in case of an advancement, but if they wanted to interview Carriere they had to hire him. They didn't want anybody interviewing their guys just to pick his brain what is going on in Habs organization. He also said Canadiens told him not to come calling back in future to hire more guys. Said they not are losing more then one guy to same organization.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to George McPhee radio interview the other day. He said when he was putting together his front office he called Monteral about Larry Carriere. Montreal was exactly obliging. Said they told him they couldn't stop it in case of an advancement, but if they wanted to interview Carriere they had to hire him. They didn't want anybody interviewing their guys just to pick his brain what is going on in Habs organization. He also said Canadiens told him not to come calling back in future to hire more guys. Said they not are losing more then one guy to same organization.

:laugh:

What was Carrière going to divulge, exactly? How to miss the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years?

How to get your son hired as assistant coach of an AHL team when he didn't deserve the job?

Chuckles Carrière might have made a mighty fine mascot, tho.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
In the past four years, the Habs have had 3 playoff home games to create revenue....you would think the board would not be happy with Geoff, and his clown GM? Someone must be embarassed? Pi$$ed?? Besides the fans of course...

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The more a team wins, the more money it makes. Making profit is not the same as making the maximum profit. Not spending to the cap when you can afford to is not a great strategy.
I get your point but that still remains to be proven. Although some businesses get a better ROI when keeping things down, you are probably right it is not the case with NHL hockey.

That said, I don’t think that’s the Habs strategy here.

I just think MB sold Molson on not spending the money just to spend it and keeping it till it is worth it aka Tavares, Panarin or maybe even Duchene type of players ( who knows)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I get your point but that still remains to be proven. Although some businesses get a better ROI when keeping things down, you are probably right it is not the case with NHL hockey.

That said, I don’t think that’s the Habs strategy here.

I just think MB sold Molson on not spending the money just to spend it and keeping it till it is worth it aka Tavares, Panarin or maybe even Duchene type of players ( who knows)
Taveres wouldn't even consider the Habs, will any other ufa's this year??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That is not the point.

But, MB did get Radulov so he might get someone else.
Not the point?? High end UFA doesn't even return a call from the Habs, but you expect MB to land us a big fish this year?? We had a better year, so we can hope, but players know how badly others have been treated by the clown GM in MOntreal, so..............?

Reactions: the

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
From an interview on The Athletic:

“The biggest dilemma we have, that really nobody (in the league) has found a solution to and we continue to work towards, is giving our fans a chance at the end of a period to leave their seats, get some food or a drink, use the bathroom if they need to use the bathroom and get back to their seat in time for the faceoff of the next period,” Molson said. “It’s really hard to do . . . we’re looking at speed of service, more points of sale, so people can have the chance they need to do everything they need to do.”

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

“The biggest dilemma we have, that really nobody (in the league) has found a solution to and we continue to work towards, is giving our fans a chance at the end of a period to leave their seats, get some food or a drink, use the bathroom if they need to use the bathroom and get back to their seat in time for the faceoff of the next period,” Molson said. “It’s really hard to do . . . we’re looking at speed of service, more points of sale, so people can have the chance they need to do everything they need to do.”
Wow Geoff, most people think our biggest challenge is not about food/washrooms, but more along the lines of getting a GM and President who actually know how to build a team who can compete for the Stanley Cup...

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

Thats the biggest dilemma? And here I was worrying what our bonehead GM was going to do next. Guess we can all relax now, crises averted.

Reactions: Tyson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
George N. Gillett Jr .

I blame him for everything because he's the one that sells his team to Molson . He's also the one who wanted Gainey to manage the team .

:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad