Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Personally I don't think Molson is a problem as an owner, he allows the team to spend to the cap, he allows the team to spend $5 million on a coach and now he even lets them spend more on our AHL team giving guys one way deals to help players clear waivers and get to our AHL team.

On the other hand I have an issue with Molson as president as I'd rather have an experienced person with hockey related background as the president instead of him. If things get bad Molson has shown he's willing to fire the GM previously, however having a more experienced hockey person there would be more proactive and foresee problems before they get bad.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
When people keep leaving or not showing up anymore, things might start to change
Plenty of tickets left for tomorrow night on the site in the reds

Things will change if the demand isn't there, and let's be honest you would have to be really nuts to go spend money to watch this show right now.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He's definitely part of the problem. He clearly cares more about short term profits then building a winning team, cares more about image then substance, and frankly isn't good at his job as President of Hockey Operations.

Sadly nothing will change since the Habs are and will continue to be a cash cow. Even if they weren't very profitable there's the emotional aspect of being owner of the team he loved growing up. So the chances of him selling are extremely low.

My gut says we will be mediocre for a long time (Another 20+ years) in large part because of the corporate culture Molson seems to have instilled.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I appreciate that, as an owner, he tries to give autonomy to the GM. Meddlesome ownership is the bane of every sports team. But don't be President if you want to be hands off. Just keep yourself out of the spotlight.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
What kind of businessman gives a 5-year contract extention to his employee if that employee is still under contract for the next ~2 years? What's the rush?

facepalmalice.jpg

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
PROs: He doesn't seems to meddle into hockey decisions, like some other bad owner do/did (Wang and Katz come to mind here.)
CONs: He is the self-appointed President, the GM report directly to him and he's not the right man for the job.

This team really need someone between the GM and Ownership.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
What's his exact title? Is he president of Club de hockey Canadien Inc. and/or president of Groupe CH?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Personally I don't think Molson is a problem as an owner, he allows the team to spend to the cap, he allows the team to spend $5 million on a coach and now he even lets them spend more on our AHL team giving guys one way deals to help players clear waivers and get to our AHL team.

On the other hand I have an issue with Molson as president as I'd rather have an experienced person with hockey related background as the president instead of him. If things get bad Molson has shown he's willing to fire the GM previously, however having a more experienced hockey person there would be more proactive and foresee problems before they get bad.
We could have had someone like Dean Lombardi or Don Maloney heading hockey ops but instead we have a guy who inherited everything he has and has no hockey experience running hockey ops. Oh well.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
From their web site:
Owner, President and CEO, Club de hockey Canadien, Bell Centre and evenko

Because they also have this new entity called Groupe CH.

I would doubt he leaves his seat as president.

You guys see his presidency as a 'hockey' thing. It's not. In fact, it's unrelated to hockey.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
Because they also have this new entity called Groupe CH.

I would doubt he leaves his seat as president.

You guys see his presidency as a 'hockey' thing. It's not. In fact, it's unrelated to hockey.

I agree he will not move from "president" but he needs to add a layer between him and the GM and have the GM report there. And I don't mean another "suit" but someone with real experience with high level franchise management.

Here are the others involved in ownership from the Habs web site:

In addition to Geoff, Andrew, Justin Molson and other members of the Molson family, other partners in the venture include BCE/Bell, the Woodbridge Company Limited, the QFL Solidarity Fund, The National Bank Financial Group, Michael Andlauer and Luc Bertrand.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
As soon as MB asked about trading Subban for Weber, he should have been fired.
This is Exactly were Molson should have stopped Bergevin and tell him to GTFO
But its hard to do when you don t know anything about the game ,,,,,

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Really? You don’t feel like watching us get shut out? You might be able to catch a glimpse of casperetty too if you’re lucky! :popcorn:

The only place you'll see Casperetti is on Ghost Hunters. He's so invisible on the Habs you'd think it was the playoffs.....

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
This is Exactly were Molson should have stopped Bergevin and tell him to GTFO
But its hard to do when you don t know anything about the game ,,,,,

He knows as much if not significantly more than anyone on these boards.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He knows as much if not significantly more than anyone on these boards.

That's completely made-up. If he actually did, we wouldn't be in this mess. Proof is in the pudding. I'd agree if we were talking about someone with an actual hockey management pedigree and team building success, but we're not.

Most here are advocating putting a buffer between ownership and the GM, someone who knows hockey better than Molson does, someone who has that pedigree I mentionned, which is entirely worth considering, so your intervention is completely irrelevant and is downright ridculous when it comes to an appeal to authority of something that is not science, not an exact science. It's sheepish and lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->