Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Molson's negligence is the real problem with this team.

How he let such a failure of a GM continue to lead this team absolutely nowhere for so long is completely inexcusable. Bergevin should have been fired at the very latest 2 whole seasons ago. The way he boasted at the Habs alumni dinner about the "stability" he has brought to the organization is sickening. There is no nobility in the notion of "stability" when you are standing stable in failure.

He's just absolutely clueless when it comes to hockey operations. How he thought he was qualified enough to be the president of this team is laughable.

It really is a shame that owners can't be fired, because he is the real problem here.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
What do you actually mean by the cap will blow up?

And i was being facetious about the great player we had in Cap Space over the last 3 seasons

I have about 15 posts in different threads on here about the 2022 tv contract renewal. $200M baseline (2011) --> $600M baseline (2022) as far as tv revenues go.

It's a massive cap increase and it will benefit all of TOR, TBL, BOS, FLA, you name it. That's just our division. Plenty more RFAs and UFAs will be signed, it'll be the dawn of the 'next cap' era.

We don't sign significant UFAs and the best RFA we've traded for is either Domi or Drouin. We're gonna get blown out of the water by competing teams, summer 2022. But no let's not "try hard" under the current cap, going back to 2014. Let's just not.

:(

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Groupe CH is not en entity, its just a brand.

Groupe CH essentially is Hockey, evenko, spectra, other theaters like corona and metropolis, the condo towers, etc.
Nope. They are a group.
SmartSelect_20200108-192330_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20200108-192241_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Dreger: "Well 8 years is a LONG, LONG time. It's easily to get frustrated. (...) otherwise Marc Bergevin would be on the hot seat. And I don't believe that he is."

Big Marc is so masterful at buying himself time. Politician GM, no accountability.

:banghead:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Molson may not care... but he's slowly cementing a legacy as the worst owner the once proud franchise has had... i suspect that once he starts to figure out that his & his family's reputation is going to be stuck with the stench of mediocrity for decades to come, MB will finally find the long overdue pink slip

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I miss Gillette.
At least George hired good people, and tried to bring a winning culture back to the Habs. Gainey/Boivin were not perfect, but these guys did wonders with bringing the organization back from the Corey/Houle years. We sold out for years on end, and were a playoff team with respect throughout the league.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Molson's negligence is the real problem with this team.

How he let such a failure of a GM continue to lead this team absolutely nowhere for so long is completely inexcusable. Bergevin should have been fired at the very latest 2 whole seasons ago. The way he boasted at the Habs alumni dinner about the "stability" he has brought to the organization is sickening. There is no nobility in the notion of "stability" when you are standing stable in failure.

He's just absolutely clueless when it comes to hockey operations. How he thought he was qualified enough to be the president of this team is laughable.

It really is a shame that owners can't be fired, because he is the real problem here.
Well said....can you post this at the Montreal Gazette, and LeJounal for all to see!!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Molson fired Gauthier after missing the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.
Bergevin is on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years and his job is still secured.

Can we have Gillette back please?

It's not Gillett or Gauthier….it's anybody.
Every GM in Habs history have been fired for a lot less than that….every single one of them.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It's not Gillett or Gauthier….it's anybody.
Every GM in Habs history have been fired for a lot less than that….every single one of them.

He's essentially the anti-Chiarelli, in the worst kind of way. His non-moves killed hope for this team. Chiarelli is horse**** and Bergevin is bull****. Still ****.

Radulov and Markov. Je me souviens.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Xaydhon1

Oct 5, 2019
Well the attention seeking mouth breather have the hockey world attention right now for the epic fail that he is

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I don't agree that Bergevin is THAT bad. This team has heart and most of their top 9 was injured at one point or another this year, last year was fun and I could see we were trending in the right direction.
Many UFAs don't want to come here, and it surely starts with how this team is managed at the top; Molson and cie.

Who would want a guy like Molson as their employer when you can choose to play for someone like Lamoriello, Robitaille, Shanahan, Davidson, etc. It's a business, we've all been here and we know that a team's(or a workplace) culture is one of the most important thing when it comes to make a decision.
The Molson family are probably here to stay as primary shareholders so we can't expect him and them to leave anytime soon, let's leave that out of the equation.

First, hire a President with charisma and leadership that knows what's going on in hockey. THEN you can fire Bergevin. You can fire any GM or Head scout you want, if you don't make any change higher up, don't expect anything to change, the same loophole will start over.

Step 1: Hire a capable President.
Step 2: Fire Bergevin and most of the hockey op. (Please, don't let Larry Carriere near this team ever again)
Step 3: Keep rebuilding for 2 or 3 years with fresh blood.
Step 4: Pray to god

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Guys...Since 2015. All 7 Canadian teams have been out of the playoffs at least twice. And everyone has been near the absolute bottom of the league at least once.

Yet only Edmonton has fired their GM (twice..Chiraelli came in 2015). By comparison 12 GM were let go in US markets

Canadian GMs for some reason are here to stay.

Coaches, Presidents, etc. They are on borrowed time. GMs stay

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Does anyone still truly believe Molson cares about winning? If he did, do you think the franchise would be in the state it is in? Would MB still be here after 8 years of mediocrity and still no clear direction? Would the Habs have almost 10M in unused cap space every year? Would there be no team president? Would the recycling of past french coaches be happening? (it's AV's turn next, btw).

Molson does not give a single dried-up shit about winning. There is nothing to indicate he does. He cares about making money, and as long as the cash keeps rolling in, nothing is ever going to change.

If the fans ever finally get fed up and revenue begins to drop, he will bail. He's here to milk the franchise dry.

Reactions: lo striver

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Molson does not give a single dried-up **** about winning. There is nothing to indicate he does. He cares about making money, and as long as the cash keeps rolling in, nothing is ever going to change.

If the fans ever finally get fed up and revenue begins to drop, he will bail. He's here to milk the franchise dry.

There is nothing worse than an owner whose main purpose is just to make a profit from a team. Needed money does not get spent and the team just waffles in mediocrity. Profits would have to not only drop, but fall into negative before the Molsons would leave. Look at Toronto with Harold Ballard, he didn't care. He hung in there and screwed the Leafs over for three decades (1961-90) just to suck out every penny of profit for himself. He was so bad he was even charged with stealing funds from Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. for personal use.

Geoff Molson isn't that bad, but he and his brothers own the Habs and do get to do what they want with it. ("Geoffrey Eric Molson (born 1971), is a Canadian businessman and current president and chief executive officer and co-owner of the National Hockey League's Montreal Canadiens, Evenko, Bell Centre and L'Équipe Spectra alongside his brothers Andrew Molson and Justin Molson.") For all we know, Geoff might want to improve the team but his brothers say keep it cheap.

Unfortunately, if he and his brothers are happy with just making a profit, and enjoy owning the team, it is doubtful they will leave. At the same time it is also doubtful they will invest the needed funds to overhaul the team and the overall organization, training, and scouting to a point where it can be a winner. Instead, it is easier for them to use and camouflage their purpose with the cheaper MB method of trying for home runs with players without spending any extra.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There is nothing worse than an owner whose main purpose is just to make a profit from a team. Needed money does not get spent and the team just waffles in mediocrity. Profits would have to not only drop, but fall into negative before the Molsons would leave. Look at Toronto with Harold Ballard, he didn't care. He hung in there and screwed the Leafs over for three decades (1961-90) just to suck out every penny of profit for himself. He was so bad he was even charged with stealing funds from Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. for personal use.

Geoff Molson isn't that bad, but he and his brothers own the Habs and do get to do what they want with it. ("Geoffrey Eric Molson (born 1971), is a Canadian businessman and current president and chief executive officer and co-owner of the National Hockey League's Montreal Canadiens, Evenko, Bell Centre and L'Équipe Spectra alongside his brothers Andrew Molson and Justin Molson.") For all we know, Geoff might want to improve the team but his brothers say keep it cheap.

Unfortunately, if he and his brothers are happy with just making a profit, and enjoy owning the team, it is doubtful they will leave. At the same time it is also doubtful they will invest the needed funds to overhaul the team and the overall organization, training, and scouting to a point where it can be a winner. Instead, it is easier for them to use and camouflage their purpose with the cheaper MB method of trying for home runs with players without spending any extra.
I agree, and I don't see them leaving anytime soon either. They are making way too much money. The problem with Geoff Molson (and his brothers) is that he is not one of those owners who has a passion for the game and went out and bought himself a team for his own enjoyment. He basically inherited this franchise, and he comes from a family of business men, so it's really not surprising he treats the Habs like any other business. He is not doing anything wrong technically, and it is his to do with as he pleases. But it is just unfortunate for the fans who care about winning a Cup because I don't see that ever happening with the way they've been running the team.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
If he had any idea how to run a hockey team he would've hired a president years ago and Bergevin would be long gone by now. But instead we're stuck with Dumb and Dumber, nepotism edition. We're the laughing stock of the league and deservedly so.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Still filling 99% of the seats and the money MB is saving below the Cap more than offsets the lost revenue

For there to be change there needs to be an incentive

Fans either need to start embarrassing him like the waffle/jersey throwing in Toronto or vote with their asses and not fill the seats, Habs still ranking 2nd in NHL attendance despite the terrible record, if only 80% showed up that would get his attention

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Dreger: "Well 8 years is a LONG, LONG time. It's easily to get frustrated. (...) otherwise Marc Bergevin would be on the hot seat. And I don't believe that he is."

Big Marc is so masterful at buying himself time. Politician GM, no accountability.

:banghead:

I don't think Dreger has any more sources than Eklund. I'm reasonably confident this is his last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad