OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, I was actually playing a few times last night. It's a lot of fun. Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be some of the best. I think the best I've done is in the 20's so far.

Also just beat Dead Space 2. In that earlier post I was talking about the first Dead Space and how good it was and this one was great too. Sometimes maybe a little too difficult, but not impossible. Terrifying game.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yeah, I was actually playing a few times last night. It's a lot of fun. Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be some of the best. I think the best I've done is in the 20's so far.

Also just beat Dead Space 2. In that earlier post I was talking about the first Dead Space and how good it was and this one was great too. Sometimes maybe a little too difficult, but not impossible. Terrifying game.
Yeah, Dead Space 1 and 2 were excellent. Never got around to playing 3. Just one of those games where you're just tense taking every step forward.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Division 2 is pretty fun. I've never been so just "blah" about a playoff "race" for the Wild, evidenced by the fact that I missed both of the last games while playing Division.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
For those itching to get on the course, The Golf Club 2019 is a great choice to play golf on your console or PC. My brother made me buy it to play with him online, and it's worth $30.00 to play. Reminds me of a better Tiger Woods game back in the mid 2000s. I've probably put in over 30 hours so far in a month or so.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I've seen that game a few times on sale and thought about buying...I used to get the Tiger Woods games every year and kind of miss that a bit. Maybe I'll check it out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm a golf fan, but the more realistic golf games have never been my thing. Give me Mario Golf all day. The GBC version was awesome back then. Most versions have been pretty good.

Reactions: Twoods1623

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I'm a golf fan, but the more realistic golf games have never been my thing. Give me Mario Golf all day. The GBC version was awesome back then. Most versions have been pretty good.
That floods fun memories of long car trips playing the crap out of that game on my Gameboy Advance. Favorite RPG I've ever played.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
is it any different from the first one?
Nah, not much different. Still really fun combat, especially with friends, but bosses are just normal dudes with a ton of hit points. Skills/tech a bit different as well, but for all intents and purposes not much different. All in all, if you like the first one (I did) you'll like the new one.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Nah, not much different. Still really fun combat, especially with friends, but bosses are just normal dudes with a ton of hit points. Skills/tech a bit different as well, but for all intents and purposes not much different. All in all, if you like the first one (I did) you'll like the new one.
i always ran by myself so it was fun to an extent. decently challenging but obviously repetitive with the bosses as most games.

wfode09

Jan 16, 2017
Any PC gamers here? I've been playing a lot of "Squad" and "Escape from Tarkov" recently. I believe both are technically in Beta but are both still basically full games. Both need pretty decent rigs to play but they have more realism than the run and gun BF and COD games.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Any PC gamers here? I've been playing a lot of "Squad" and "Escape from Tarkov" recently. I believe both are technically in Beta but are both still basically full games. Both need pretty decent rigs to play but they have more realism than the run and gun BF and COD games.
I basically have a lower scale gaming laptop just to play PUBG. I don't really play much these days though for various reasons.

I've seen people play Tarkov before and it looks pretty interesting. Isn't it more of a single scenario type game where you're just trying to break out of prison? So if you played it a second time how closely would it match the first run?

Never heard of Squad though.

wfode09

Jan 16, 2017
Squad is basically an in depth modern miltary FPS. Tarkov is like a survival/battle royale style game where you get dropped into a certain area, with other human players and AI and have to reach certain extraction points. You mainly just try kill others and loot everything on the map. Problem is if you get killed you lose everything you brought with, which others can take. That's the part that keeps me on the edge of my seat. The customization is crazy detailed though as far as weapons go.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Has anyone here played Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order yet?

Not yet...but have read a few reviews. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I think I might wait a little bit. Apparently there are some performance issues that should get updated with a patch relatively soon. I think Giant Bomb gave it 3/5 and Game Informer gave it 8.75/10.

I'll probably wait until it's on Game Pass or on sale for a decent price. But definitely will play at some point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not yet...but have read a few reviews. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I think I might wait a little bit. Apparently there are some performance issues that should get updated with a patch relatively soon. I think Giant Bomb gave it 3/5 and Game Informer gave it 8.75/10.

I'll probably wait until it's on Game Pass or on sale for a decent price. But definitely will play at some point.
I'm just wondering on the play style... if it feels too much like The Force Unleashed, I may want to pass.

I like action but not at the expense of story. Hence two of my favorite games of all time are Mass Effect (original trilogy, Andromeda was a massive disappointment story- wise) and the original KOTOR (not the rebooted MMO version).

I know this isn't an RPG like they are, but action games have done solid stories as well... see Resistance: Fall of Man (one of the few first person shooter games I've liked).

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah Mass Effect and KOTOR are two of my favorite games ever as well. I haven't really watched any of the actual gameplay yet just because I like to go into a game without seeing much.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah Mass Effect and KOTOR are two of my favorite games ever as well. I haven't really watched any of the actual gameplay yet just because I like to go into a game without seeing much.
Same, which is why I was hoping I could get first hand account without spoilers. Reading reviews always ends up with spoilers.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
Same, which is why I was hoping I could get first hand account without spoilers. Reading reviews always ends up with spoilers.
Friend played it. Said it was like Tomb Raider meets Dark Souls in a Star Wars universe if that helps.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Also, getting into story gaming. I actually enjoyed the Life is Strange games quite a bit, and they lack action completely!

Life is Strange and Life is Strange: Before the Storm were very good games! I already have Life is Strange 2, but the last episode isn't available until December. I prefer to go through them all at once, don't want to wait for their episode release between playing them, so I'll wait until less than a week before the last episode release before I start.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you plan on getting it and beating it quickly, EA Access or Origin Access Premier might be good bets. Double check that the sub you buy has it available, but then you only have to pay a fraction of the price for the one month, beat it, and not worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad