OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm enjoying it, but for some reason it doesn't have the same luster as the original did for me. I'm guessing I'm too old at this point lol.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
RDR2 - beautiful, well-acted, engaging story. I'm enjoying it but I'm not digging the multitude of systems going on (Cleaning guns, the whole hunting/smell thing, etc.), feels like too much game, I just wanna shoot things and rob people without having to think too much. Also the controls feel clunky to me. Enjoying it a lot but I wish there was like an arcade mode or something.

I imagine they are banking on the online portion to be the arcade-y part. But we'll see. I definitely agree it would be fantastic to have a mode like that. Complete with the ridiculous Western shooting sound effects like the original. It'd be like playing two different games. Both fantastic.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Holy crap graphically this game is amazing. The tutorial part seemed to take forever :laugh:

One complaint.. There is no option to invert X-axis. Doesn't matter to me, but my gf begs to differ :laugh:

Reactions: rynryn

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Loving Rdr2 even more now than previously. I may have been a little inebriated my first go around well into chapter 2, didn't get a good grasp on some of the mechanics. Started over, have a better grip on some of the MANY different systems and am just digging this game. I love the pace. I love/hate riding the horse everywhere. I know there's a fast travel to be unlocked, but in not sure I want it. It's a real pain in the ass riding across the map... But some of the stuff that pops up is so fun (getting drunk/ruffied by incestuous hillbillies, robbed, and then subsequently wreaking furious revenge on their asses was AWESOME). Controls are still kinda clunky, but I've gotten used to it.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I love the slower pace. Even riding between destinations on the horse doesn't bother to me. Love walking through town just taking in the sights and sounds. The ambient noise in this game is CRAZY realistic. Whether it's the conversations you hear walking through town, or walking out in the wilderness, hearing the birds chirping, animals rustling, a flock of birds taking off when you get too close. Everything just feels so alive.

The random encounters are fantastic. I've taken to just randomly exploring, hunting, and seeing what I can come across.

One of my favorite random encounters so far:

So I came across a convict running out of the woods in shackles, and he's begging me to shoot off the shackles, saying that he was framed. I figure what the hell, I'll give this guy a second chance. He says thanks, runs off into the woods, and I move on.

Later in the game, I come across him AGAIN in the exact same situation, shackled in a prison jumpsuit running away. I shoot the shackles off again, just for the lulz. He said he doesn't have any money or anything, but he wants to repay me. He knows about a house on the river in south Lemoyne, apparently an old drunk lives there, and it would be an easy target to rob.

So I head down there to scope it out. I sneak into the house, and crouch down on a wall. I can hear an argument in the other room. I see an older guy, and an adult son (like 18-24ish). The dad is obviously drunk, and the son is yelling about how he's going to leave and live with mom. The dad hits the son, and the son runs out of the room, right into me. He screams "Dad! There's someone in the house!" Dad comes at me, draws a gun, and fires at me, so I blast him. The kid is laying on the ground, in fear, asking why I would do this, begging me for his life. I loot the stash of money from the chimney and leave the house.

Later in the game, I was in the area again, so I stopped by the house to see if the kid had left to go live with his mom and left the house abandoned. It looks pretty abandoned, so I start looting everything in sight. I walk into a room, and the kid is sitting on the bed reading a book! He screams, and then says "I'm ready for you this time!!!", he grabs a knife and lunges at me. I push him to the ground and lay a few punches on him, and sprint out of the house.

I actually felt legit terrible about it. So now I've broken into the kid's house twice. Killed his dad the first time, and looted almost everything he owns the second time :laugh: I'm really curious to see if that develops into something later in the game, where he tries to hunt me down.

But just the fact that he remembered me from the first time I was there, and PLANNED for me to come back, is just insane to me. These interactions had enough depth to practically be a mission, and it's just a random encounter with NPCs, that I would have never experienced if I didn't actively seek it out.

This game is seriously the GOAT, for me.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Paused on RDR2 for now after getting Black Ops 4. As a Battle Royale fan, I'm enjoying Blackout, but I love the Zombies mode in this game. I've been pleasantly surprised with the game.

Also bought an Xbox One X. Pretty sweet. HDR is a game changer.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just bought the humble bundle x-mas package (advent calendar). $35 and maybe they'll have some good stuff, maybe they wont. :dunno: All the money goes to a charity that I picked (local boys & girls club) so it was worth it. I got it last year and it was worth the money, so there is that.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Sounds like a cool cause. Is it like a game (or dlc) per day or something and you just don't know what its going to be.

MehMild

Not someone whose name means testicles.
Jan 25, 2017
Sounds like a cool cause. Is it like a game (or dlc) per day or something and you just don't know what its going to be.
The games look like garbage and you just get skins you can buy for the same price to support the troops from BOPS 4. Good cause though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I ended up getting like 50 different things from it last year. I don't mind taking the chance this year. You can wait all the way until x-mas to decide if you want to buy it and still get ~95% of the things. There is only a few limited number of key items that I remember not getting last year (I bought it on like the 22nd of Dec). It's a lot of indie type of games.

I buy a $5 game bundle or two every month from either humblebundle or indiegala. So I'm probably more willing to take a chance on these type of games; hence the 500+ games in my Steam account. :help:

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Was coming to see GDT between my Habs & your Wild... leaving with a comment on RD2 lol. That game is GOAT & I love the slow pace but do understand some might not like it.

Also playing BFV as my FPS, loving it so far... more skills based than previous ones + love the squad importance. However, maps aren't that great IMO.

Reactions: gphr513

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Was coming to see GDT between my Habs & your Wild... leaving with a comment on RD2 lol. That game is GOAT & I love the slow pace but do understand some might not like it.
Yeah, the slow pace is one of my favorite parts of the game. My roommates will walk by and watch me play for a while, and they'll see how long I have to go to get to wherever I'm going, and bitch about how long it takes to ride there, lol. But I still have yet to fast travel in this game. For long rides, I'll usually stop along the way to do a little hunting, try to get a perfect pelt or two, to sell. Plus all the random encounters you'll see along the way!

Reactions: Hardworker33

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It's just a little too slow at times. I appreciate the random encounters, but I loathe the fact you have to press A (or X or whatever) a million times while riding on your horse. I regularly get distracted and stop playing while riding for 5 minutes one way and 5 minutes back.

In general, though, the game is excellent so far. I just started chapter 3.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I feel like you can always fast travel or take stagecoaches somewhere close enough to where you want to go if necessary. I never really found myself saying any parts of it were too slow, but then I've seen that reaction a few places.

I simply couldn't believe how long that game was. I thought it was close to being over and it ended up not even being close. I think the most incredible achievement for the game was in spite of how long it ended up being, I never found myself bored with it or continuing to play just for the sake of finishing it. I did try out Read Dead Online for a little while but I think I realized at that point I did need a break from it, though. But when it's all said and done I have to think it's one of the very best games I've ever played.

Doing 'best games ever' types of lists are really difficult when comparing to different generations of consoles/etc. But I think it's maybe the best 'new' game I've ever played. It'd be fun to go back and try and rank my all-time favorite games...regardless of console/year but I feel like I'd forget a ton.

In conclusion, I like games a lot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does anyone play VR games on Steam? I've only seen one that looks like fun (Beat Saber).

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Starting a replay of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (Enhanced Editions). Haven't played them (dedicated, I've picked it up a couple times and ultimately moved on to something else) since they first released back in 98, so I can't remember much. Just character tidbits (go for the eyes boo!) and the overarching plot. But it's almost like playing the game fresh. Let's see if it holds up, it's been at the top of my all time games list forever.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I have an extra Steam key for Galactic Civilizations II if anyone wants it.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I've been on a stretch of some really great games lately - bought a Switch and played Breath of the Wild. I hadn't really played a Zelda game since Link to the Past but I had heard a lot about this one and how it was open world. It was a ton of fun...it's really cool how you can pretty much 'literally' do whatever you want and in whatever order. No waypoints to the next objective, no blocking you off from areas if you aren't the right level. I really tried to not look at anything online while playing and just explore everything on my own. Once I got to ~75 shrines or so I ended up finishing the game...then I looked up and saw that there are ~120 I think in total. Crazy amount of things to do in that game if you really want to. So good.

Then I went through a couple of free Xbox Gold games they put out for download - first played through Celeste. It was a really cool platformer(?) where it takes a ton of tries to figure out the right way to go, but I never really got discouraged. It was a fun challenging game that didn't really take too long to get through.

I know it's been out for years and years but I had never played Dead Space. I knew it was known for being a bit of a 'horror' game and didn't typically like playing those on my own. One night gave it a shot and now I realize why everyone talked about it at the time. Great game. Definitely had its frightening parts but ended up being a ton of fun. Really intense throughout. Along the way they had made Dead Space 2 and 3 available for download too so those are probably next in line for what I'll play.

In the same vein, I had heard everyone talking about the Resident Evil 2 remake lately. Since it was a similar game, I decided to pick it up. I think it's absolutely incredible. This is another series where I hadn't really played much of it at all before (just Resident Evil 5 I think, surprisingly), but it's great. There are technically four different runs of the game you can do (two different main characters with slightly different paths each time) and I'm close to through my 3rd playthrough right now. Even though you do a lot of the same pathways and puzzles in each playthrough, it still doesn't really get boring playing it. Couldn't recommend the game enough if you like those types of survival horror games.

That's about it for now. Sometime I'm also going to start playing Return of the Obra Dinn on PC since I've heard a lot about that one.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Into Epilogue II of RDR2....I went slow as possible since I already knew what was gonna happen. Can't say I don't regret going past Chapter 2 :(, miss a lot aspects of the game in that moment.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Any Tetris fans? I've always been a big fan, and Tetris 99 is really fun... and addicting. I never thought I would see a battle royale Tetris. :laugh:

One Two wins so far for me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->