OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Team Microsoft!

I can't wait to blast some sick tunes on my Zune while I play RDR2 :D

I really shouldn't just glance at posts while playing with the dog. My initial take from this was "R2D2 wasn't in Dune." :baghead:

Reactions: TaLoN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm embarrassed by the number of times I've clicked it on my Xbox thinking "Maybe, just maybe, it'll glitch out and let me play early" :laugh:

I'm not embaressed at all by that number... because next time, it just might work...

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
RDR2 pretty close to unanimous perfect scores. Tonight after the Wild beat the Kings, excited to play!

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Is there any other game developer as big as Rockstar, that makes games for PC, that doesn't release their games on PC as the same time as the console versions?

I'd love to play RDR2, but I simply can't for the foreseeable future.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I have tomorrow off work, so I'll probably go pick up RDR2 in the morning and play a bunch. All aboard the hype train.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Played it for about an hour last night. It's going to be a loooong day at work waiting to come home and play some more :laugh:

Just call in sick. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, first impressions? Thinking of getting it once I finish AC: Odyssey.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I requested work off for today for Red Dead, but never got a response from my department head... I got all my work done for the week. So I am just sitting here. Waiting. I normally get really bored with single player games, but Red Dead hits my sweet spot for some reason.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'll probably leave shortly to go buy it, then realize I have to wait about 3 hours for it to download... hopefully not.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I heard it's a huge file...I don't have one of the TB Xbox's so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get my external hard drive out :laugh:

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I'll probably leave shortly to go buy it, then realize I have to wait about 3 hours for it to download... hopefully not.
I heard it's two discs if you buy physically, and 90 GBs to download the digital version. It took me 6 hours to download the whole game digitally.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I heard it's two discs if you buy physically, and 90 GBs to download the digital version. It took me 6 hours to download the whole game digitally.
Ouch. You still have to download something if you get the disks though sadly, so I think I'll be waiting a while.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

In all seriousness, first impressions? Thinking of getting it once I finish AC: Odyssey.
I'm not even out of the tutorial missions yet but so far it's awesome. The game is absolutely beautiful. It looks like a damn movie at times. The lighting in particular is out of this world.

There's an early mission where you're riding through a blizzard, and the moonlight from a full moon is getting through the clouds and snow, and it just looks so... Real.

The way you seamlessly transition from free roam to mission is awesome. There are no "cutscenes", it just switches to a more cinematic, wide-screen camera, no loading screens. It's like the whole game is one big cutscene.

Can't wait until I get past the tutorial and the map opens up. I'm going to spend the first few hours just exploring and talking to NPCs, seeing what trouble I can rustle up :laugh:

Reactions: Lapa

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

I played for about an hour and a half last night. Way to early to give first impressions ... other than perfect 10 scores all over the place. It's very good looking and the voice acting so far is awesome. The couple gunfights I've been in have been fun so far, but not super challenging. The cover mechanic and aim assist is nice while getting used to the controls (which kind of feels odd so far). Like gphr says, I'm also excited to be done with the tutorials and get an open map. Also will be looking forward to when it's not winter. I think it'll look even nicer.

Reactions: Lapa

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I'm like 2ish hours in so far. Too much horseback riding, but I like what I'm seeing so far. Having to hold down 'A' the entire time is really annoying.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I'm like 2ish hours in so far. Too much horseback riding, but I like what I'm seeing so far. Having to hold down 'A' the entire time is really annoying.
I'm finding the cinematic camera to be pretty cool. You hold down select (or whatever that button is called now. I still call it select lol) and you just have to hold A. The horse will automatically stay on the trail to the way point you have set. So you can just hold the controller with one hand, and the horse will go. You get some really cool camera angles while you're riding, too.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
RDR2 - beautiful, well-acted, engaging story. I'm enjoying it but I'm not digging the multitude of systems going on (Cleaning guns, the whole hunting/smell thing, etc.), feels like too much game, I just wanna shoot things and rob people without having to think too much. Also the controls feel clunky to me. Enjoying it a lot but I wish there was like an arcade mode or something.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think they definitely took a risk with the way they crafted this game. I think there will be plenty of people who see a Rockstar game and assume it will be like GTA: fast paced, zany, shoot first ask questions later.

But what you have here is a very grounded, VERY realistic game. I love it personally, but I get why others may not.

My favorite thing so far is riding between point A to point B. There's always something interesting to see as you're riding along. RDR's random encounters were all scripted, but in RDR2, it just feels like the world is alive and things are happening, whether you're there to see it or not. It doesn't feel crafted just for you, which is an immense achievement in an open world game, IMO.

An example is one I just came across. I was riding down the road, and heard some shots ringing out through the woods (by the way, gunshots sound AMAZING echoing up in the mountains, or in the woods). There was no dot on my map telling me I should go there, but I wanted to go check it out.

I snuck up behind 3 guys, shooting bottles on a log, target practice. They were making comments like "We'll make you a real killer!" it was 2 guys teaching another how to shoot. I just got a bad vibe from them. I called out to them, and they were immediately hostile, threatening me to go away. I tried to diffuse but they threatened me again. So, I obliged and walked back the way I came. They watched me for a while and then when I was out of sight they bragged about how they scared me off. I was hiding behind a tree watching them, and after a few more shots they got on their horses and one of them said "Alright, let's go raise a little hell!"

Before they left, I walked towards them again and called out to them again. This time, they immediately drew their guns. I went into Dead Eye and smoked them all.

Coming away from that interaction, I was thinking about how I could have either not gone to investigate those gunshots at all in the first place, because the game never told me to go there. Or I could have just left when they threatened me the first time, and they would have been free to go do whatever it was they were planning to do.

It's a pretty remarkable thing, I can't remember ever having an encounter like that before in any video game.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize how long this post was, lol. I could literally write a novel right now about all the things I love about this game :laugh:

Reactions: FVM

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I heard it's a huge file...I don't have one of the TB Xbox's so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get my external hard drive out :laugh:
They said with the 2 maps and potential for adding more areas unless you have the TB or an external HDD you will probably be able to have just 1 map going at a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->