OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
division 2 is fun to play. decent pvp and they just buffed the AI hardcore so even with strong builds you cant just walk through people. need to use your head a bit.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Man I have RDR2 in my top 5 ever. What a fun time. The lack of open world in the beginning is my only complaint. Once you get to Valentine it's on! I have so many stories about weird stuff happening..... The mini games like fishing are excellent. I play it still from time to time and I avoid the story missions as long as possible. I like training horses and finding the valuable ones. The sheer depth of the game is bottomless. But to each their own. I go back and forth between RDR2, GTA5, and Skyrim. They are my favorites. I did enjoy Spiderman and Fallen Order but they don't really have replay incentive.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Man I have RDR2 in my top 5 ever. What a fun time. The lack of open world in the beginning is my only complaint. Once you get to Valentine it's on! I have so many stories about weird stuff happening..... The mini games like fishing are excellent. I play it still from time to time and I avoid the story missions as long as possible. I like training horses and finding the valuable ones. The sheer depth of the game is bottomless. But to each their own. I go back and forth between RDR2, GTA5, and Skyrim. They are my favorites. I did enjoy Spiderman and Fallen Order but they don't really have replay incentive.
I find it impossible not to explore as much as I can in open world games. I know it can ruin the experience and story for some players but for myself I can't help it. I got all the legendary animals when I was only on the 3rd or 4th chapter because I wanted all that extra gear :laugh:.

Reactions: SMTHook

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I find it impossible not to explore as much as I can in open world games. I know it can ruin the experience and story for some players but for myself I can't help it. I got all the legendary animals when I was only on the 3rd or 4th chapter because I wanted all that extra gear :laugh:.

Literally the only 2 games I've played in the last 2 years have been RDR2 and Zelda:BotW. I probably have about 250 hours into each of them.

RDR2 is just insane the amount of crap you can do in there. Not to mention, outside that horrible epilogue, the story is incredible. They did an absolutely outstanding job on that game.

Reactions: SMTHook

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
NHL 14 Be A Pro stories. I know, previous gen, haven't gone with xbone or PS4.

Right winger, started out of NHL. 6'5", 235lbs, right wing, sniper. Yep.

Made the Wild out of training camp but bounced between main roster and Iowa initially. Was recalled around December and stuck around, working up from 3rd line (with Granlund and Eric Staal, 2017 TDL rosters) to 2nd line and then finally 1st line. Scored 30 goals and added around 20 assists with no PP time. Helped Wild make the Western Conference finals after sweeping the Avs in 1st round and playing a hard-fought 7-game series vs Preds in 2nd. Ended up succumbing to San Jose primarily due to Martin Jones stonewalling us. No, really. I even had a hat-trick in game 5 but it was not enough; they scored a few goals and we dropped the game 4-3 and the series 4-1.

Sharks won the cup after facing Panthers (!) in the finals.

Our main concern was Eric Staal suffering from post-concussion syndrome after getting hit from behind in the Avs series, and few injuries to some key D-men (Marco Scandella and Kevin Bieksa, who was acquired in a trade). In addition, Nate Prosser was out for a bit with a broken leg but came back for the Sharks series. Brodin got injured in game 7 of the final series, too - last five minutes, and I ended up dropping the gloves in response.

So, here was the Wild D-core for most of the playoffs:

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Reilly - Prosser
Folin

So, off-season. Here is me, after my initial 1-year contract worth $750k. 30-goal scorer in the regular season, 1.5ppg pace in the playoffs. Selke winner, too - which came as a bit of a surprise despite my league-leading hits and takeaways. Finished 3rd in the Calder voting despite only playing 60 games in the regular season. Somehow, I was a UFA too. Was expecting 3-4 million AAV maybe, because I was still young and rated 80 overall, even if NHL games tend to be blind about actual scoring numbers.

Here's the deals:

Minnesota: 2 years, 1-way, $575k
NYR: 2 years, 1-way, $575k
PHI: 1 year, 1-way, $550k
FLA: 1 year, 1-way, $550k

At least I made the cover of that year's NHL video game, earning $1m in royalties. So yeah, ended up re-signing with the Wild (which was always the plan, natch), but that... stung.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
NHL 14 Be A Pro stories. I know, previous gen, haven't gone with xbone or PS4.

Right winger, started out of NHL. 6'5", 235lbs, right wing, sniper. Yep.

Made the Wild out of training camp but bounced between main roster and Iowa initially. Was recalled around December and stuck around, working up from 3rd line (with Granlund and Eric Staal, 2017 TDL rosters) to 2nd line and then finally 1st line. Scored 30 goals and added around 20 assists with no PP time. Helped Wild make the Western Conference finals after sweeping the Avs in 1st round and playing a hard-fought 7-game series vs Preds in 2nd. Ended up succumbing to San Jose primarily due to Martin Jones stonewalling us. No, really. I even had a hat-trick in game 5 but it was not enough; they scored a few goals and we dropped the game 4-3 and the series 4-1.

Sharks won the cup after facing Panthers (!) in the finals.

Our main concern was Eric Staal suffering from post-concussion syndrome after getting hit from behind in the Avs series, and few injuries to some key D-men (Marco Scandella and Kevin Bieksa, who was acquired in a trade). In addition, Nate Prosser was out for a bit with a broken leg but came back for the Sharks series. Brodin got injured in game 7 of the final series, too - last five minutes, and I ended up dropping the gloves in response.

So, here was the Wild D-core for most of the playoffs:

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Reilly - Prosser
Folin

So, off-season. Here is me, after my initial 1-year contract worth $750k. 30-goal scorer in the regular season, 1.5ppg pace in the playoffs. Selke winner, too - which came as a bit of a surprise despite my league-leading hits and takeaways. Finished 3rd in the Calder voting despite only playing 60 games in the regular season. Somehow, I was a UFA too. Was expecting 3-4 million AAV maybe, because I was still young and rated 80 overall, even if NHL games tend to be blind about actual scoring numbers.

Here's the deals:

Minnesota: 2 years, 1-way, $575k
NYR: 2 years, 1-way, $575k
PHI: 1 year, 1-way, $550k
FLA: 1 year, 1-way, $550k

At least I made the cover of that year's NHL video game, earning $1m in royalties. So yeah, ended up re-signing with the Wild (which was always the plan, natch), but that... stung.
I just recently picked up NHL 21 for PS4. Been playing NHL 18 for the recent years. Always have been a franchise mode player but figured I'd give Be a pro a try since it is suppose to be rehaul this year.

Made a massive Power forward max height and max weight.

Played over in Europe for Frolunda. Had a really good first game, I feast on rebounds and setting up teammates with one timers. I also enjoy absolutely crippling guys with open ice hits. Second game I got a major penalty after checking a player in the back and getting into a fight in the first 30 secs of the game. I didn't know fighting was banned in Europe my bad.

Got drafted 2OA by the Kings, I guess the Rangers didn't like my cocky interview with them. I've only made it to the preseason games with him. He is fun, but so slow that sometimes I feel it takes me too long to get down the ice before my team turns it over.

Made a second player. 6 foot tall speedy sniper center.

Choose to be drafted by the Wild. Had a really good preseason getting about 2 points a night. Made the NHL roster but haven't be as impactful. my first goal in the NHL was an empty netter I almost passed the puck off because I didn't want that be my first goal, but oh well. Mostly get my points on assists and I'm getting pretty good as poke checking with the new system. NHL 18 you could just jam poke check, but now that results in penalties.

Franchise mode - my bread and butter.

I'm a bit weird when i play franchise modes, I only sim games since I like to play out if I was actually a GM. I'll play a regular season game here and there just to see the team I built but I try not to affect the standings or playoffs if i make them. Love Fog of War since it adds a difficulty so I can't just build a year after year contender.

Sadly the rosters are super out of whack. Dubnyk, Donato, and players like Mikko plus Galchenyuk are still on the team. So, I decided to kick off a rebuild and trade everyone for picks. Ended up with pretty much half the Iowa AHL team in Minnesota.

Somehow the Wild where amazing. I was running away with the division by the TDL with a half AHL team. I decided to be a buyer at the TDL picking up Crawford (who is a 90 overall WTF?) I also got Thornton from the sharks.

Well after the TDL my team came down to earth we ended up losing our massive division lead finishing 2nd behind the Avs. Went to playoffs and beat the stars in the first round but losing in 6 to the Canucks.

Following Season I extended Thornton but let Crawford go. I ended up trading Dumba for Markstrom plus a pick and young center. I traded Thornton to free up some cap to sign some guys to ELCs. I also got rid of Rask for a 5th round pick (If only).

Season didn't go as well and stood pat at the TDL. I ended up making the playoffs as a Wildcard. I swept the Canucks in the first round, Calgary in the 2nd, and beat the Avs to make it to the Cup. However, i was quickly swept in the Finals by Devils because they seem to be the new powerhouse.

Haven't played my 3rd season yet, but I try and keep it a bit realistic by honoring NMCs on the team even though the game doesn't have that feature. I'm in a bit of cap issues since I have a lot of money tied up in Fiala and I signed Reinhart in the off season. By this time Zucc will be on his M-NTC so I'll probably axe him to open up some more cash.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not typically a fan of open world or fps, but I'm really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next month

A open world, first person action and story rpg set in a dark future.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't think I've done Be a Pro since like 2013, but I used to enjoy that a lot. I've never gotten into franchise mode because I'd rather spend my time in a hockey game... playing hockey instead of managing. Maybe I'll pop open either NHL 19 or 20 and play a bit. The arcady 3v3 mode is a nice change of pace every now and then.

As for what I have been playing... Apex Legends and Warzone. Once I got into BRs with PUBG, standard multiplayer games feel pretty boring. The rush/ accomplishment you feel as being the sole winning team/player out of the 20-100 that started (depending on game/mode) is unmatched.

Also, as a huge 3D Mario fan - SM64 is my favorite game ever - I of course bought Mario 3D All-Stars on day one. Beat SM64 the first night, then Galaxy over the next few weeks. Now I'm on to Sunshine, still pretty early in the game. I haven't played it in like 15 years, and my recollection of it being a very difficult game has held up over time.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Cyberpunk will be amazing. New Xbox release can’t get here soon enough.

I can’t get into EAs NHL series. Truly awful games every year. Much in the same vein as Madden. I hate basketball but will play the hell out of the 2K basketball series. They know how to make a brilliant game.

Reactions: GuerinUp

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

I can’t get into EAs NHL series. Truly awful games every year. Much in the same vein as Madden. I hate basketball but will play the hell out of the 2K basketball series. They know how to make a brilliant game.
Yeah 2k makes a great basketball game. I’d love to see them make one nhl 2k.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

You get Cyberpunk on PS4 or Xbox One, those games WILL be playable in PS5 and Xbox series x, you upgrade your console, you get a download to upgrade the game to take advantage of the next gen console.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
You get Cyberpunk on PS4 or Xbox One, those games WILL be playable in PS5 and Xbox series x, you upgrade your console, you get a download to upgrade the game to take advantage of the next gen console.

Only issue is I decided I’m going from PS4 to Xbox. Really only reason I had PS was because of The Show but most people I know are going Xbox so I preordered that.

Been holding off on buying new games the last couple months for that reason. And that Cyberpunk will take up most of my free time for a while.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Only issue is I decided I’m going from PS4 to Xbox. Really only reason I had PS was because of The Show but most people I know are going Xbox so I preordered that.

Been holding off on buying new games the last couple months for that reason. And that Cyberpunk will take up most of my free time for a while.
Meh, I don't care what system others have, I get the system I want.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I actually kinda want to pick up NHL 21 but I'd need a console first, and can't really justify buying, say, xbone to play a single game. Especially after reading that the NHL series has not really improved much over the years, and how toxic the community is.

Would just want to play BGM and EASHL, really, plus some Be A Pro on the side. EASHL is such a wonderful idea, ruined by idiots.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Meh, I don't care what system others have, I get the system I want.
This used to be a big deal if all of your friends got one or the other, but with more and more games coming out with crossplay, it truly shouldn't matter too much soon other than exclusives.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Picked up AC Valhalla recently, been playing quite a bit of it recently. Can't say it is a 100% improvement from Odyssey, but being able to fanboy as a Viking has quenched my video game need for a while now.

If anyone has a PS4 and Valhalla i'll add you so I can hire your Jomsviking.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I actually kinda want to pick up NHL 21 but I'd need a console first, and can't really justify buying, say, xbone to play a single game. Especially after reading that the NHL series has not really improved much over the years, and how toxic the community is.

Would just want to play BGM and EASHL, really, plus some Be A Pro on the side. EASHL is such a wonderful idea, ruined by idiots.

constant glitch goals. its so sad how every year they release a game and the glitches seem to be gone which in turn makes me buy it, then a few weeks later comes the first patch and back come the glitches

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At this point, I'm just patiently awaiting the arrival...

capsule_616x353.jpg

10 days.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is fantastic. I picked it up when Cyberpunk was delayed and I can't recommend it enough. I have about 50 hours into it, hoping I can get it done by the time Cyberpunk is released (and also hoping Cyberpunk isn't pure hype).

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Definitely want to get Yakuza but going to wait until it comes out on PS5. Unless I'm being an idiot and it'd be the same game even if I wait? But have a lot of other stuff to play right now. Working on Demon's Souls and Miles Morales.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Definitely want to get Yakuza but going to wait until it comes out on PS5. Unless I'm being an idiot and it'd be the same game even if I wait? But have a lot of other stuff to play right now. Working on Demon's Souls and Miles Morales.

Thoughts on Demons Souls? The Souls franchise are, far and away, my favorite games of all time. I played Demons Souls when it first came out, before Souls really took off, but never did beat it and never got around to to playing again since I had retired the old PS3. We had PS5's at my base the day they were released, but I missed out and don't anticipate another shipment before I get home. It looks gorgeous, but I've been holding off on watching a playthrough so I don't spoil it ... but its been tough. Can't wait to play it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad