OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I also felt like when manny had floyd against the ropes in the early rounds with floyd just standing there, manny landed a few right hands to the side of the body and head that he didn't get credit for. I honestly don't think the final punch landed scores were accurately portrayed IMHO. I had a slight advantage to floyd in the shots landed department but not what the final numbers that were shown

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
He coudln't get inside because of the reach advantage Mayweather has. That and the counters made it impossible for him. It's just Mayweathers style of slowing fights down and making them as boring as possible with minimal punches. He wins tactically, but bores the **** out of everyone.

Boxing loses it's appeal with fighters like Floyd. I just don't see how it can recover. This fight had all the hype in the world and could have been the fight that reignited the sport but instead it just left everyone with disappointment. But hey, Mayweather will get close to 200 million and doesn't give a ****.

To be honest, I was thinking that Mayweather might lose the fight on purpose, because the fight contract states that there was no rematch if Mayweather won, but if Pacquiao won, there was a rematch. Mayweather could've easily made another 200 million with the rematch.

Capitaine Subban*

I don't know. Manny's beat the same competition more convincingly. And the fact that in this fight Pac staggered and hurt Floyd 2 to 3 times, where Floyd was forced to cower. Like I said, yeah, Floyd won the points fight, I guess, but the better fighter overall, not so sure.

rofl Floyd is a top 5'ish boxer of all time Pac is only a great fighter of this era. Come on man :laugh:

Capitaine Subban*

I'll not watch boxing again. Mayweather has ruined the sport, and although I'm a fringe fan to begin with, his style and persona just make it brutal.

You would hate Ali charisma then.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Floyd played safe and Manny didn't go all in. He had a bad game plan from the start. If you want to win against Mayweather you have to dictate the tempo from round 1 to round 12.

What a waste of time and $. All because my friend is a huge boxing fan. I don't give a rat ass about boxing unless it's Mike Tyson.

UFC >>> Boxing

Capitaine Subban*

It seems to me that manny's strategy was to outbox mayweather..... Stupidest thing he could have tried. Mayweather is the superior boxer when it comes to skill. If Pacquiao was going to win this fight he had to try to overwhelm MM and throw a **** load of punch's from different angels.

I still don't see what roach's strategy was. Maybe Manny has gotten to old to fight that way

You saw the same thing I saw. I think Pac didnt want to get ko on counter-punches
that is why he tried to outbox Money Mayweather but on the ring he understand what all the other boxers find out, that Mayweather is better than the tape :nod:

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
rofl Floyd is a top 5'ish boxer of all time Pac is only a great fighter of this era. Come on man :laugh:

He's not in my top 5. Fantastic defensive fighter and great reflexes (among the top 5 defensive fighters, sure). But to rank among the best of the best you need to be capable of truly dominating opponents (making them run for dear life or rendering them unconscious), not just winning decisions. In this respect, Manny has the better body of work this era. Losing by a few points against Floyd (a couple of grazing punches here and there settled some rounds) doesn't change that. And when you look at who hurt who in this fight, Floyd was the one rocked a couple of times and was forced to cover up because of it. If they weighed this sort of thing more heavily in judging, the sport would be better off. So better points fighter, sure, but not the better fighter overall, and not one of the top 5 in history, that's for sure.

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
I just hate the way boxing matches are judged. That's why there's such a dark cloud over this industry. It's also all about PPV, sales, Vegas, promotions and sponsors. It's all about the money.

Capitaine Subban*

He's not in my top 5. Fantastic defensive fighter and great reflexes (among the top 5 defensive fighters, sure). But to rank among the best of the best you need to be capable of truly dominating opponents (making them run for dear life or rendering them unconscious), not just winning decisions. In this respect, Manny has the better body of work this era. Losing by a few points against Floyd (a couple of grazing punches here and there settled some rounds) doesn't change that. And when you look at who hurt who in this fight, Floyd was the one rocked a couple of times and was forced to cover up because of it. If they weighed this sort of thing more heavily in judging, the sport would be better off. So better points fighter, sure, but not the better fighter overall, and not one of the top 5 in history, that's for sure.

:shakehead

Ya gallagher is a better player then Turgeon...
To be a better boxer in any era u need to be better at hitting the opponent than getting hit.Money Mayweather beat all the chumps, including your guy who lost 6 fight and 3 by ko, that he faces.

Dominating is a subjective thing because I didnt see floyd being rocked like u said, I saw Floyd controlling the fight from the start, Manny knew he couldnt win being too aggressive that why he got schooled when trying to outbox Floyd.

Haters gonna hate ... 48-0 and counting

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
:shakehead

Ya gallagher is a better player then Turgeon...
To be a better boxer in any era u need to be better at hitting the opponent than getting hit.Money Mayweather beat all the chumps, including your guy who lost 6 fight and 3 by ko, that he faces.

Dominating is a subjective thing because I didnt see floyd being rocked like u said, I saw Floyd controlling the fight from the start, Manny knew he couldnt win being too aggressive that why he got schooled when trying to outbox Floyd.

Haters gonna hate ... 48-0 and counting

Ya i get u a big Floyd fan. But he's not top 5 in terms of entertaining and that's what boxing is all about. **** that lame ass boring defensive crap.

He's only good at counter-attacks and playing defense and scoring points with good percentage punches. That's how he wins.

I'd rather pay $500 to watch Mike Tyson or Roy Jones Jr than pay $100 to watch Mayweather.

Goodnight :)

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I despise Mayweather but the dude is a machine defensively and is accurate in his counter punching. He easily won this fight.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
MMA is facing the same type of challenge. It's all about charisma really, you have to find good guys that people want to cheer and bad guys that people want to boo. It goes back to the circus and pro wrestling. Especially now with so much competition for the entertainment dollar and all. It's what makes me miss the old Pride FC days so much. There were so many characters , Fedor, CroCop, Rampage, Minotoro,Sakuraba, etc...

At least the UFC has Conor Mcgregor.

Capitaine Subban*

Ya i get u a big Floyd fan. But he's not top 5 in terms of entertaining and that's what boxing is all about. **** that lame ass boring defensive crap.

He's only good at counter-attacks and playing defense and scoring points with good percentage punches. That's how he wins.

I'd rather pay $500 to watch Mike Tyson or Roy Jones Jr than pay $100 to watch Mayweather.

Goodnight :)

Lol then Arturro Gatti is the greatest of all time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad