OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Well, trade mark victory for Mayweather, he managed to barely get hit by a notoriously good puncher yet again. Just about what I expected, even though my heart really was with Pacman.

RedLeaf099*

So Mayweather just sits back and throws jabs and he wins the fight?
#BoxingIsDead

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't see how that one judge had it 118-110.

I'm down with the other two cards of 116-112 though.

That said, Mayweather barely did anything. Just ran around and counterpunched. Really not fun to watch him fight.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
So Mayweather just sits back and throws jabs and he wins the fight?
#BoxingIsDead

Boxing isn't about killing the opponent. I've seen Leonard win fights the same way. I love technical boxing. Unfortunately, the younger generation is looking more for instant gratification.

And no, boxing is not dead, as shown by the money this fight brought.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
This fight would have been VERY different 5 years ago. Manny was a punching machine then.

Yeah, his punches did damage. He wold only have needed one or two connecting solidly and Mayweather would have been in trouble.

And he also threw more of them.

A guy like Mayweather who relies on defense will clearly age better than Pacquiao. Also, Mayweather had an obvious reach advantage which didn't help.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Money did just enough, as usual, and he won.

He will be remembered as the most boring great of all time.

I hope that fact pisses him off.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As much as he's maddening to watch fight sometime you have to respect what Mayweather is able to do. He's fought every big puncher out there in his division over the years and every time he manages to end the fight with a baby face and his hand raised. He's refined his style to the point where people just don't have an answer for it. It's a lot like GSP in his prime with his takedowns.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Money did just enough, as usual, and he won.

He will be remembered as the most boring great of all time.

I hope that fact pisses him off.

he'll be fine sleeping in his 24 carat sheets in his 24 carat bed in his 24 carat painted house

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Boxing isn't about killing the opponent. I've seen Leonard win fights the same way. I love technical boxing. Unfortunately, the younger generation is looking more for instant gratification.

Leonard had mastered the art of throwing flurries at the end of rounds to win them. He was more offensive than Mayweather and threw combos, he could let his hands go unlike Mayweather one punch at a time and dance away. He was way more fun to watch IMO.

Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran... golden age of boxing

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
As much as he's maddening to watch fight sometime you have to respect what Mayweather is able to do. He's fought every big puncher out there in his division over the years and every time he manages to end the fight with a baby face and his hand raised. He's refined his style to the point where people just don't have an answer for it. It's a lot like GSP in his prime with his takedowns.
Great comparison.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Leonard had mastered the art of throwing flurries at the end of rounds to win them. He was more offensive than Mayweather and threw combos, he could let his hands go unlike Mayweather one punch at a time and dance away. He was way more fun to watch IMO.

Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran... golden age of boxing
That how he beat marvelous Marvin, by stealing every round in the last few seconds. I agree though, Sugar Ray was a treat to watch, he always gave a spectacle.

bmil

Mar 1, 2006
Kitchener, ON

This was boxing's last fight. It's officially dead. This was the last fight to be had and it was as underwhelming and boring as it could have ever been. For anyone to think boxing has a future after this DUD is delusional.

RedLeaf099*

I agree with you. I was just a casual person tuning in for a nice fight. All i saw was Manny chasing Floyd around the ring. Not very exciting. Floyd will always draw huge money because he's undefeated. But the entertainment value is very poor nowadays. It's clearly just about scoring points now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad