OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
No rematch ...and who ever paid $99 for that got Toronto Maple Leafed....

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
giphy.gif

#TMT

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Leonard had mastered the art of throwing flurries at the end of rounds to win them. He was more offensive than Mayweather and threw combos, he could let his hands go unlike Mayweather one punch at a time and dance away. He was way more fun to watch IMO.
Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran... golden age of boxing

Leonard was my boxing idol whm I was young. He threw a lot, and was a showman. But he did win fights by counterpunching like Floyd. The 2nd Duran fight was a perfect example.

It wasn't a hellraiser for sure. Not even remotely close. Age and weight were the factors IMHO. But I still liked the show. Jim Lampley is the best. And so is Jim Gray.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
great comparison indeed. People complained all the time about GSP too yet his technique was effective

Yeah but GSP never backed off and was the one applying the pressure, but his opponents mostly defended and his fights were mostly on the ground... Mayweather never really applies pressure because he's so quick at moving around.

It's an amazing thing to watch but boring, at least GSP was boring while applying the pressure.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
I guess Floyd won. But he ran and clinched his way to a reasonably close points decision. He compared himself to SRR and Ali. God, not even ****ing close! Almost wanted to give it to Manny on principle. I love boxing and can appreciate skill but when you talk like Floyd you better bring it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hagler retired too young, 33 !!

Yeah, it's a real shame, he still had a lot in the tank too. I would have really liked to see him against the new generation of guys, Cesar Chaves, Sweet Pea Whitaker,etc...Still one of my all time favorites.

I guess Floyd won. But he ran and clinched his way to a reasonably close points decision. He compared himself to SRR and Ali. God, not even ****ing close! Almost wanted to give it to Manny on principle. I love boxing and can appreciate skill but when you talk like Floyd you better bring it.

Oh as far as the best ever is concerned I would not put him in the top spot. I have respect for the guy but he's not fighting in the hardest era. Guys like Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson fought against harder opposition, in an era where guys would fight every other month too. And Ali lost most of his prime years due to his Vietnam thing.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
It was off to a good start, but this fight ended in a snoozefest and it will really help to pave the way for the UFC.

UFC has gone the same route. The exciting and violent fights for world titles of old have given way to more technical and less 'exciting' matches. GSP brought the sport to a technical and tactical level that has given more maturity to the sport. And at the same time has ticked off a lot of the early fans who craved the violence. UFC has gone the boxing route.

And I might add that since GSP retired, PPV fights have been less lucrative.

UFC is still searching for a valid replacement.

Last edited:

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Money May! Legend.

I don't know. Manny's beat the same competition more convincingly. And the fact that in this fight Pac staggered and hurt Floyd 2 to 3 times, where Floyd was forced to cower. Like I said, yeah, Floyd won the points fight, I guess, but the better fighter overall, not so sure.

RedLeaf099*

I don't know. Manny's beat the same competition more convincingly. And the fact that in this fight Pac staggered and hurt Floyd 2 to 3 times, where Floyd was forced to cower. Like I said, yeah, Floyd won the points fight, I guess, but the better fighter overall, not so sure.

Yeah, i thought Manny was winning this fight until my friend told me how they score matches...

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
UFC has gone the same route. The exciting and violent fights for world titles of old have given way to more technical and less 'exciting' matches. GSP brought the sport to a technical and tactical level that has given more maturity to the sport. And at the same time has ticked off a lot of the early fans who craved the violence. UFC has gone the boxing route.

Well at least the big title matches are exciting. Hendricks vs Lawler i.e.

Honestly what is missing with boxing is perhaps what's at stakes and charisma (or extreme characters) from its boxers. If Mike Tyson was in his twenties and boxing right now I think the sport would be much more hyped. We need boxers that will be interesting in and out of the ring. Adonis Stevenson is a good example of what can make boxing more interesting, although his cockiness might cause him troubles in the ring.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Well at least the big title matches are exciting. Hendricks vs Lawler i.e.

Honestly what is missing with boxing is perhaps what's at stakes and charisma from its boxers. If Mike Tyson was in his twenties and boxing right now I think the sport would be much more hyped. We need boxers that will be interesting in and out of the ring. Adonis Stevenson is a good example of what can make boxing more interesting, although his cockiness might cause him troubles in the ring.

I agree in regards to boxing. And that can be attributed to the decline in boxing superstars in the US, and the influx of tooons of fighters from Eastern Europe, for which most of us don't really care for. Inodore, incolore et sans flavor.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
MMA is facing the same type of challenge. It's all about charisma really, you have to find good guys that people want to cheer and bad guys that people want to boo. It goes back to the circus and pro wrestling. Especially now with so much competition for the entertainment dollar and all. It's what makes me miss the old Pride FC days so much. There were so many characters , Fedor, CroCop, Rampage, Minotoro,Sakuraba, etc...

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Mayweather showing his tactical brilliance again. Not that exciting a fight, but tactically brilliant.

Hurts to type that with my MP shirt on =[

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'll not watch boxing again. Mayweather has ruined the sport, and although I'm a fringe fan to begin with, his style and persona just make it brutal.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
It seems to me that manny's strategy was to outbox mayweather..... Stupidest thing he could have tried. Mayweather is the superior boxer when it comes to skill. If Pacquiao was going to win this fight he had to try to overwhelm MM and throw a **** load of punch's from different angels.

I still don't see what roach's strategy was. Maybe Manny has gotten to old to fight that way

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It seems to me that manny's strategy was to outbox mayweather..... Stupidest thing he could have tried. Mayweather is the superior boxer when it comes to skill. If Pacquiao was going to win this fight he had to try to overwhelm MM and throw a **** load of punch's from different angels.

I still don't see what roach's strategy was. Maybe Manny has gotten to old to fight that way

He coudln't get inside because of the reach advantage Mayweather has. That and the counters made it impossible for him. It's just Mayweathers style of slowing fights down and making them as boring as possible with minimal punches. He wins tactically, but bores the **** out of everyone.

Boxing loses it's appeal with fighters like Floyd. I just don't see how it can recover. This fight had all the hype in the world and could have been the fight that reignited the sport but instead it just left everyone with disappointment. But hey, Mayweather will get close to 200 million and doesn't give a ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad