OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He has 48 good reasons to say that and no defeat. It is a solid case.

If the best boxer of all time never sees someone truly great and beats guys who are washed up or average his entire career on the way to a perfect record and does it in very unconvincing fashion, can he really claim to be the best? Mayweather has some good names on his record but he doesn't have great names. Not like Ali with Foreman, Frazier, etc. And not like Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran did with each others.

If Mayweather had fought Pacquiao in his prime, this would have been a way different fight and the 48-0 record wouldn't have been quite the same. Pacquiao's punches weren't as heavy as they used to be, and he didn't seem to have the juice to throw more of them. When he let his hands go in the middle rounds he did touch Mayweather. An old washed up version of Pacquiao managed to touch and hurt Mayweather. I would have liked to see both guys in their prime but no point crying over spilled milk.

Guys like Hopkins, Mayweather age well, but not power punchers who rely on speed and endurance like Pacquiao or RJJ.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
If the best boxer of all time never sees someone truly great and beats guys who are washed up or average his entire career on the way to a perfect record and does it in very unconvincing fashion, can he really claim to be the best? Mayweather has some good names on his record but he doesn't have great names. Not like Ali with Foreman, Frazier, etc. And not like Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran did with each others.

If Mayweather had fought Pacquiao in his prime, this would have been a way different fight and the 48-0 record wouldn't have been quite the same. Pacquiao's punches weren't as heavy as they used to be, and he didn't seem to have the juice to throw more of them. When he let his hands go in the middle rounds he did touch Mayweather. An old washed up version of Pacquiao managed to touch and hurt Mayweather. I would have liked to see both guys in their prime but no point crying over spilled milk.

Guys like Hopkins, Mayweather age well, but not power punchers who rely on speed and endurance like Pacquiao or RJJ.

Dude do you even know what your talking about? FMJ has been beating the best since 1996 the guy is 38 excuse him for not being as explosive!!! You talk about washed up fighters??? He beat pretty much all comers and beat them before PAC did? Stop making excuses the better fighter won and that's that.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Shame that a women beater POS like Mayweather is running away with that paycheck. Glad i didbt spend a cent on this loser.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dude do you even know what your talking about? FMJ has been beating the best since 1996 the guy is 38 excuse him for not being as explosive!!! You talk about washed up fighters??? He beat pretty much all comers and beat them before PAC did? Stop making excuses the better fighter won and that's that.

Where did I say Pacquiao has had a better career ?

I'm not saying that Pacquiao's record is way more impressive but then again Pacquiao isn't saying he's the best of all time either.

If you had read and understood my post instead of going into FMJ fanboy mode, you would have understood I was disputing FMJ's claim that he is the best of all time. He simply doesn't have the great opponents that actual legends had.

Ever heard the saying to triumph without risk is to triumph without glory ? It fits Mayweather to a tee. Minimize risks as much as possible in his opponents and inside the rink.

Fighting a 36 year old washed up Pacquiao might actually be the most opposition he's ever gotten. Or a 34 year old DLH who wasn't the same guy he used to be.

Let's list FMJ's most impressive accomplishments :

34 year old washed up DLH
36 year old washed up Pacquiao
39 year old washed up Mosley
Cotto who had been destroyed by Margarito and Pacquiao
36 year old Marquez
Castillo ? Not exactly the stuff of legends.
Never fought Morales
Hatton ? Meh..

That doesn't scream greatest of all time to me.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal

I'm not saying that Pacquiao's record is way more impressive but then again Pacquiao isn't saying he's the best of all time either.

If you had read and understood my post instead of going into FMJ fanboy mode, you would have understood I was disputing FMJ's claim that he is the best of all time. He simply doesn't have the great opponents that actual legends had.

Ever heard the saying to triumph without risk is to triumph without glory ? It fits Mayweather to a tee. Minimize risks as much as possible in his opponents and inside the rink.

Fighting a 36 year old washed up Pacquiao might actually be the most opposition he's ever gotten. Or a 34 year old DLH who wasn't the same guy he used to be.

36 year old Marquez
Never fought Morales
Hatton ? Meh..

I'll have to agree with Des Louise here..

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal

36 year old Marquez
Never fought Morales
Hatton ? Meh..

I am not calling FMJ the greatest of all time but he is and always was better the PAC. No more debate both guys are still on top they fought Mayweather won just like Marquez said he would. Who better then Marquez to say who is better. He fought pac in his so called prime like 3 fights? Mayweather has been champion since 1996. Some people always make excuses.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal

36 year old Marquez
Never fought Morales
Hatton ? Meh..

When Matweather fought Hatton he was undefeated and a beast for you to say meh? Let's me know the type of person I m debating with.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I am not calling FMJ the greatest of all time but he is and always was better the PAC. No more debate both guys are still on top they fought Mayweather won just like Marquez said he would. Who better then Marquez to say who is better. He fought pac in his so called prime like 3 fights? Mayweather has been champion since 1996. Some people always make excuses.
You aren't, but Mayweather called himself the greatest. The post you originally quoted was discussing this fact. Try to follow the conversation, especially if you are going to take aggressive jabs at someone's knowledge.

Also, it's funny that you think that one fight when both boxers are 36 and 38 years old means that one boxer is better than the other in absolute terms no matter the circumstances. You are aware that boxers sometimes lose rematches against the same opponent ? If you were objective you'd acknowledge that Pacquiao's style of speed and power doesn't age as well as Mayweather's defensive style. At 36, we saw that Pacquiao actually hurt Mayweather 1-2 times. At one point after hurting him Pacquiao wasted himself on Mayweather's gloves and then ran out of gas really fast. The young Pacquiao would have been throwing punches 20 seconds after the old one had stopped. I'm not making a far fetched claim here. Perhaps Mayweather would have won when both were in their prime. But I'm sure that time has been in favor of Mayweather here. I think even before the fight happened everyone said that it was too late. And it was. It was a boring fight where one guy's primary weapons had been dulled by time.

I'm not making excuses just pointing out how I see things, I don't really care that much. Boxing has lost most of its luster to me. Hard to watch what's going on and not find it lacking compared to what it once was.

When Matweather fought Hatton he was undefeated and a beast for you to say meh? Let's me know the type of person I m debating with.

These euro champs who have undefeated records beating no name opponents on their own turf are nothing to write home about. He has 2 wins on anyone resembling a real opponent : Castillo and Tszyu. Won a vacant title at home. These undefeated records are quite meaningless. Hatton wasn't a total scrub but all the greats have a Hatton on their record and don't use him as proof they are great. It's like I said.. meh. Wasn't a special opponent. A good one who can surprise you if you don't take him seriously but that's it.

Not sure why you are taking things so personally though.

Microsens

Jul 18, 2014

36 year old Marquez
Never fought Morales
Hatton ? Meh..

He also lost to De La Hoya.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Everybody knew Mayweather was going to win. I don't know one person that chose Pac to win. Most wanted him to win because FMJ is a twit, but Pac wasn't impressive in his previous fights, not to mention losing two of them.
It was a lackluster fight though, FMJ just dodged and ran away, throwing just enough efficient punches to win him the rounds.
Pac at least was pressing, but you could see he's just not the same anymore.
Would have liked to see FMJ be more aggressive and go for it. He didn't.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm proud to say i did not pay nor watch this fight. It seemed so BS from the start, and although i was tempted in the end it delivered exactly what i hate about boxing: either it goes the distance and is boring, or it is a Mike Tyson 1st round knockout and exciting.
it's a flawed sport for for the viewing public, but then again this same public listens to Banksters.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
You aren't, but Mayweather called himself the greatest. The post you originally quoted was discussing this fact. Try to follow the conversation, especially if you are going to take aggressive jabs at someone's knowledge.

Also, it's funny that you think that one fight when both boxers are 36 and 38 years old means that one boxer is better than the other in absolute terms no matter the circumstances. You are aware that boxers sometimes lose rematches against the same opponent ? If you were objective you'd acknowledge that Pacquiao's style of speed and power doesn't age as well as Mayweather's defensive style. At 36, we saw that Pacquiao actually hurt Mayweather 1-2 times. At one point after hurting him Pacquiao wasted himself on Mayweather's gloves and then ran out of gas really fast. The young Pacquiao would have been throwing punches 20 seconds after the old one had stopped. I'm not making a far fetched claim here. Perhaps Mayweather would have won when both were in their prime. But I'm sure that time has been in favor of Mayweather here. I think even before the fight happened everyone said that it was too late. And it was. It was a boring fight where one guy's primary weapons had been dulled by time.

I'm not making excuses just pointing out how I see things, I don't really care that much. Boxing has lost most of its luster to me. Hard to watch what's going on and not find it lacking compared to what it once was.

These euro champs who have undefeated records beating no name opponents on their own turf are nothing to write home about. He has 2 wins on anyone resembling a real opponent : Castillo and Tszyu. Won a vacant title at home. These undefeated records are quite meaningless. Hatton wasn't a total scrub but all the greats have a Hatton on their record and don't use him as proof they are great. It's like I said.. meh. Wasn't a special opponent. A good one who can surprise you if you don't take him seriously but that's it.

Not sure why you are taking things so personally though.

I personally disagree with everything you said. Great Defence always wins. Few years ago PAC was faster well guess what! So was May. The debate is closed mate sorry for you don t like the outcome. Stop making excuses it's not cool. By the way Hatton wins vs Castillo and Tzsyu ...do you even know how good those guys were at the time? No you don t that's why you say the things you say. Sorry but you don t know boxing.

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Sounds like Pacquiao had a shoulder injury and Top Rank improperly disclosed the injury and he couldn't receive a shot before the fight. Not to make an excuse for him but it would explain part of why he failed to be aggressive at all.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I personally disagree with everything you said. Great Defence always wins. Few years ago PAC was faster well guess what! So was May. The debate is closed mate sorry for you don t like the outcome. Stop making excuses it's not cool. By the way Hatton wins vs Castillo and Tzsyu ...do you even know how good those guys were at the time? No you don t that's why you say the things you say. Sorry but you don t know boxing.

You're the only one that seems to be having this Pac vs FMJ debate.
DL is simply stating that FMJ is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Not sure why you're being so defensive here and keep bringing up FMJ vs Pac. It's irrelevant.
Who would have won 5 years prior? MY money would be on FMJ again, but you can't know for sure. FMJ doesn't seem to have declined as much as Pac. But again, that's not the point DL was making. FMJ's resume is not as impressive as the one of Ali or some others, that's his point. It doesn't mean the opponents of FMJ weren't good. Just not as impressive. I guess it's comparable to Tyson, who destroyed his opponents but most of which weren't these really good boxers. When he did face some legit contenders like Lewis or Holyfield, he lost.

FMJ is not the greatest boxer of all time.

Last edited:

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
You're the only one that seems to be having this Pac vs FMJ debate.
DL is simply stating that FMJ is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Not sure why you're being so defensive here and keep bringing up FMJ vs Pac. It's irrelevant.
Who would have won 5 years prior? MY money would be on FMJ again, but you can't know for sure. FMJ doesn't seem to have declined as much as Pac. But again, that's not the point DL was making. FMJ's resume is not as impressive as the one of Ali or some others, that's his point. It doesn't mean the opponents of FMJ weren't good. Just not as impressive. I guess it's comparable to Tyson, who destroyed his opponents but most of which weren't these really good boxers. When he did face some legit contenders like Lewis or Holyfield, he lost.

FMJ is not the greatest boxer of all time.
Tyson faced those guys at the end of his career.. a 1989 Mike Tyson was better than a 2001 one.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm not bothered at all by Floyds style, I thought he put on a boxing clinic, a treat to watch for me, against a very very good opponent.

He's definitely in discussion as the GOAT, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Watched it for free and wish i could have got that extra hour of sleep back. If that was the fight of the century all I have to say R.I.P boxing. I actually wouldn't mind if more people start seeing boxing for the total sham that it is and start focusing on the much more exciting world of MMA.

It's also sad that people care more to see an undefeated Boxer fight even though he is reputed as being boring, and by extension make him 100's of millions, than they are to make a stand on issues that affect our societies as a whole.

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
Floyd won the fight clearly, but this fight happened 5 years too late for it to be meaningful in any way. I hate the fact though that so many casual fans will look at the result and say ''SEE! I told you Floyd would school Manny!'' without taking into account the myriad of factors that make this result less than impressive.

For starters, Manny has 16 more fights than Floyd on his ledger and he turned pro whilst still in his teens, and with his aggressive style of fighting he's shipped much more punishment over the course of his career than Floyd has in his entire life.

Secondly, Manny's physical gifts are such that his entire style of fighting relied upon them for sustained success at the elite levels of the sport, but once those physical attributes diminished with age, wear and tear and lots of mileage against top contenders and fellow champions he, much like RJJ before him, was no longer the destructive fighting force he once was.

And yet with all of that factored against him, saturday's version of Manny STILL managed to clearly stun Mayweather twice during the fight, forcing him to retreat to the ropes and cover up while he got his bearings back. And contrary to the Manny of 5 years ago, the punches that stunned Floyd were much slower, his stamina was dramatically worse and thus he could not sustain his attack without getting gassed after several seconds.

His timing and accuracy were off as well and most importantly of all, his agility and footspeed have greatly diminished from his heyday when he would bounce around the ring on his toes and then launch himself forward to unleash another two-fisted attack on his foes before stepping back out of range of any counters.

So, based on the above, it is clear that at the very least, the version of Manny that flattened Hatton in 2, dropped and stopped Cotto in 12 and fractured Antonio Margarito's cheekbone over the course of a 12 round one-sided beating would have given much, much more difficulty to Mayweather.

He might not have beaten him, but at the very least Floyd would've had to walk through fire and show his mettle at several points in the fight if he wanted to win, because Manny of 5 years ago was arguably quicker than Floyd mobility wise and definately in terms of handpseed when unleashing multiple punch combinations.

Floyd defeated a diminished version of what was once a great fighter, but who has been for the last 18 months a shell of his former explosive and highly aggressive self, hence for that reason this victory will always have an asterix next to it on his win column.

And for the record, Floyd is nowhere near the greatest fighter of all-time, that honor would go to one of Ray Robinson or Harry Greb for my money, both men's body of work leaves anything Floyd and most champions past and present can hope to ever accomplish in their careers in the dust.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Watched it for free and wish i could have got that extra hour of sleep back. If that was the fight of the century all I have to say R.I.P boxing. I actually wouldn't mind if more people start seeing boxing for the total sham that it is and start focusing on the much more exciting world of MMA.

It's also sad that people care more to see an undefeated Boxer fight even though he is reputed as being boring, and by extension make him 100's of millions, than they are to make a stand on issues that affect our societies as a whole.

There's so many boring MMA fights nowadays.... Where they're stuck against the cage or hugging themselves in the ground with no intention to try a submission. It's no wonder UFC and others MMA organizations are stagnating.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
MMA is kind of in a transition period now with some of the older guard fading and the various companies looking for new bankable stars. You could make an argument Ronda Rousey has the biggest pure draw power in the sport right now. For my money though nothing compares to mid 2000's Pride FC in terms of pure fun. A lot of the stuff there was admittingly a bit dumb and had to eventually go, like the sucker kicks and the stumps on a downed opponent . But it all had that little ''something'' you know, that aura of danger for lack of a better term, that make it so super exciting. So many great characters too. I wish the penalty card system and the judging system from Pride was still around, that and the ref standing guys up quickly if there wasn't any action. All those made for more action oriented fights.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Floyd won the fight clearly, but this fight happened 5 years too late for it to be meaningful in any way. I hate the fact though that so many casual fans will look at the result and say ''SEE! I told you Floyd would school Manny!'' without taking into account the myriad of factors that make this result less than impressive.

For starters, Manny has 16 more fights than Floyd on his ledger and he turned pro whilst still in his teens, and with his aggressive style of fighting he's shipped much more punishment over the course of his career than Floyd has in his entire life.

Secondly, Manny's physical gifts are such that his entire style of fighting relied upon them for sustained success at the elite levels of the sport, but once those physical attributes diminished with age, wear and tear and lots of mileage against top contenders and fellow champions he, much like RJJ before him, was no longer the destructive fighting force he once was.

And yet with all of that factored against him, saturday's version of Manny STILL managed to clearly stun Mayweather twice during the fight, forcing him to retreat to the ropes and cover up while he got his bearings back. And contrary to the Manny of 5 years ago, the punches that stunned Floyd were much slower, his stamina was dramatically worse and thus he could not sustain his attack without getting gassed after several seconds.

His timing and accuracy were off as well and most importantly of all, his agility and footspeed have greatly diminished from his heyday when he would bounce around the ring on his toes and then launch himself forward to unleash another two-fisted attack on his foes before stepping back out of range of any counters.

So, based on the above, it is clear that at the very least, the version of Manny that flattened Hatton in 2, dropped and stopped Cotto in 12 and fractured Antonio Margarito's cheekbone over the course of a 12 round one-sided beating would have given much, much more difficulty to Mayweather.

He might not have beaten him, but at the very least Floyd would've had to walk through fire and show his mettle at several points in the fight if he wanted to win, because Manny of 5 years ago was arguably quicker than Floyd mobility wise and definately in terms of handpseed when unleashing multiple punch combinations.

Floyd defeated a diminished version of what was once a great fighter, but who has been for the last 18 months a shell of his former explosive and highly aggressive self, hence for that reason this victory will always have an asterix next to it on his win column.

And for the record, Floyd is nowhere near the greatest fighter of all-time, that honor would go to one of Ray Robinson or Harry Greb for my money, both men's body of work leaves anything Floyd and most champions past and present can hope to ever accomplish in their careers in the dust.

Mate too many excuses but because you like making excuses here we go: the version of Pac that impress you so much vs Hatton 1. Floyd beat him first when he was considered unbeatable and any fight fan knows the hardest thing to do is beat an undefeated fighter. Floyd did that. Cotto vs Manny at 147lbs cotto like DLH was weight drained reason they both look like crap. DLH and Cotto are at their strongest at 154lbs in boxing it makes a world of difference. Floyd beat them both at 154. Give credit where credit is due. Boxing is not about going toe to toe it's a science!! Floyd had a great game plan and simply frustrated Manny with his technique and elusiveness, quickness and smarts.

SlappyHabby

Jun 11, 2014
Mate too many excuses but because you like making excuses here we go:

Excuses? Since when does making an observation/s equate with making excuses?

the version of Pac that impress you so much vs Hatton 1. Floyd beat him first when he was considered unbeatable and any fight fan knows the hardest thing to do is beat an undefeated fighter. Floyd did that.

Sorry, but the bolded bit is a crock of ****, and not by a little margin either. Being undefeated in this day and age usually means that the fighter in question has been very carefully managed and fed scrubs and fighters to pad his record with. Billy Conn once said show me an undefeated fighter and I'll show you someone who hasnt fought anyone, and there is a lot of truth to that statement.

Hatton while undefeated was nevertheless a very good fighter, but he was carefully managed and built up on his way to his title fight against Kostya Tszyu which to his credit he won the fight albeit not without some significant leeway being accorded to him during the fight by the ref Dave Paris.

And for the record Hatton was never, at any point in his career, considered unbeatable by boxing pundits and experts who know and regularly follow the sport of boxing, so I have no clue where you came up with that statement.

Cotto vs Manny at 147lbs cotto like DLH was weight drained reason they both look like crap.

Cotto was not weightdrained while he was campaigning at 147lbs, at 140lbs I would agree that he was and he admitted as much himself, and that is why he moved up to welterweight shortly after his nearly disastrous but highly entertaining fight against Colombian power-puncher Ricardo Torres in which he was dropped twice and wobbled several times before prevailing by KO in the 7th.

DLH on the other hand was a walking corpse the night he fought Pacquiao, on that we can both agree on however, and as a result I dont rate it particularly highly as a victory for Pacquiao in terms of significance.

DLH and Cotto are at their strongest at 154lbs in boxing it makes a world of difference. Floyd beat them both at 154.

DLH arguably defeated Mayweather in their fight... personally I scored it a draw but it was not a runaway and one-sided affair for Floyd by any stretch, and Cotto also gave him a lot of difficulty but to his credit he handled it well and won the fight.

Give credit where credit is due. Boxing is not about going toe to toe it's a science!!

I've been following the sport of boxing since I was 8, started boxing at 9 and have continued to do so for over two decades, and I've also witnessed thousands of fights of fighters starting from the early 1900s up to today's era by amassing a collection of over 6 thousands fights.

So no need to tell me what the Sweet Science is all about for I am well aware, and I never suggested that Floyd should have gone toe-to-toe with Pacquiao so I dont know what your comment was supposed to achieve here?

Floyd had a great game plan and simply frustrated Manny with his technique and elusiveness, quickness and smarts.

Indeed, the point that I was making however is that the Manny of 5 years back who was a wrecking ball of a welterweight would have given Floyd the fight of his life, and arguably defeated him had they fought back when the fight made the most sense with both men at the peak of their abilities.

The Manny we saw this past Saturday was a mere shell of his former self, and thus a win over such a depleted and diminished fighter doesnt rank as highly all-time as it would have had he defeated him when Manny was cutting a destructive swath through the welterweight division annihilating everyone in his path.

Pac flattened Hatton and ended his career, battered Cotto en route to a 12th round stoppage and fractured the much bigger and tough as nails Antonio Margarito's cheekbone en route to a 12 round sustained beating, a fighter that Mayweather avoided at all costs under the pretext that there was no money to be made in a fight against a tough as nails come forward pressure fighting mexican Margarito.

Yet funnily enough there was a market for a fight against the boxer-puncher Canelo a few years later, so yes that was a clear duck on Mayweathers part for my money. Pac on the other hand fought JMM 4 times even though he was a stylistic nightmare for him and he got KOed in their 4th and final meeting as a result, but at least he challenged himself and took risks, whereas Floyd will always be remembered for his aversion to taking on risks where the odds where not significantly in his favor.

And it is for that reason, among many others, that his all-time standing will suffer greatly. I will concede that he is among the ten best defensive fighters of all-time (somewhere in the #4-7 range) and that at 130lbs he was as good as anyone that ever fought at the weight from what I have seen, but to say that he is THE GOAT with his body of work is simply not going to cut it.

He could have done more, but money and keeping that 0 where concerns #1 and #2 respectively for Floyd, legacy and the history books came a very distant 3rd in terms of importance to him.

And thats all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad