OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Holloway worries me a bit tbh. He's already starting to have problems with his elocution and he's not even 30 yet. All those wars are bound to take a pretty big toll on the guy at some point. I hope he's not all broken down by the time he's in his forties.

I never saw Holloway at 20 but I get the feeling he was never 100% articulate.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Adesanya's face was frightening after his fight. He even was frightened by himself when he saw his face during the judges results.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well PED's alone are not going to make an athlete, or make Jon Jones an elite fighter, but I don't think many argue that to be honest. Most acknowledge Jones would likely be the best with or without them. Some have a problem with him using, some say let him since everyone else is. I actually think the number of clean athletes might be a tad higher than most think.
I disagree. Most people I speak to about PEDs know nothing about them. They think they're terrible drugs. Ask one of your regular joe friend about roids or PEDs. They legit think it's terrible. They have no idea that those are the closest thing to a miracle drug possibly available to us.
I think the number of clean athletes would be shockingly low.

I'm not anti-ped in all circumstances, for instance, baseball used the Sosa/McGwire/Bonds era to re-establish itself as a league, baseball was in trouble for a short time. They profited off the backs of these 3 guys and now they refuse to let them in the hall. I think it's a travesty tbh. These guys weren't even violating any rules at the time and now they are ostracized for being cheaters when the league was freaking marketing these guys, unreal and completely unfair. Not to mention, like you said, PEDs didn't make these guys good ball players, but maybe added a bit of pop to their bats, but I could juice all day and never hit 95 mph heater out of the park.
Agreed. I think it's laughable how they're excluding those guys.

That's one angle I agree with, people are risking their life in combat sports, but even sprinting, I still see it as unfair advantage to those who use, because basically you are taking the decision away from those who would rather be clean. Their choice is either join in on the action or lose, I don't think that is fair. These guys are all elite at what they do, and I find the peds completely unbalances things, it all comes down to who has the best doctors with the most knowledge of how to get the edge, and less about pure skill and sport. I'm not a fan, I'd rather watch 8 sprinters come in at 10 seconds if we know with absolute certainty they are clean, vs the half second shaved off knowing they are dirty. I remember when Ben Johnson lost his gold medal, they took it and gave it one of the biggest users in the business in Lewis, so definitely see your side of it. I think they retroactively tested those 8 sprinters from the 88 games and 7 tested positive, however, the was 30 years ago and I don't think the answer is to just accept it. I also think there are more eyes on these athletes now, there is no escaping the scrutiny, many will risk everything to get the edge, but I believe many would prefer to be clean.

I think you have a very innocent view of these athletes. Do you think these high level athletes care more about winning or competing fairly? Answer is obvious to me.
I get your point, if none were doing it, then no athlete would ever think of doing it. Sadly, that's just not the world we live in. Those drugs are readily available to anybody really. Even your regular joe schmoe could find some with a bit of digging. It's only normal athletes are going to be gravitating towards them. I mean, sometimes it's even bigger than the athletes, like Russia state sponsored program.
I heard in Ukraine they start pushing some kids on PEDs as young as 12, in their olympic weightlifing programs. But that's another discussion.

Like I said, fair or not, most of them are on it imo. It's not going anywhere. So this testing thing clearly isn't the right solution.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed.

I think it even goes beyond the advantage part.

We've seen fights where two guys gas out from the intensity of the fight and slow down in the 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds.

If a PED can give you more endurance, more strength, better recovery, etc..you'll be able to handle more and dish out more during the fight. Everyone will cheer, people will say its a great fight, yada yada.

Problem is, these aren't love taps. A few years down the line UFC will be sued the same way NHL and NFL were for CTE and they'll be blasted for allowing artificially superior athletes in the ring.

UFC is protecting more than the user. They're protecting the opponents and they're covering their ass too.

The UFC will never ever pull out from testing. It's a waste of time to discuss any alternative where they do because they'd rather spend money on the legitimacy of the sport than lawsuits.

The UFC doesn't control what substances are banned or legal, it's the fighting state commissions. If you want to fight in the State of Nevada, then you need to abide by their Commission's rules.
You can sue the UFC if you feel they didn't do a good enough job on protecting their athletes, by making them fight too often I think, but even if you want to sue the Referee for negligence in a case where he didn't stop the fight early enough, those guys fall under the fighting commissions also.
That's why they moved the Jones fight to California, where they operate under different rules than Vegas.

But let's ignore all of this for a second and entertain the argument, it would be impossible for any fighter to determine CTE was caused by repeated blows from a specific fighter who used PEDs. There is no way you could ever win such a case.
First, CTE is a degenerative disease caused by repeated head injuries. You don't get that from one fight.
Second, if they don't test anyways, how in the world are you going to prove CTE was caused by the UFC not testing for PEDs? How do you know the guys you fought were using PEDs if they're never tested anyways??...

Your argument really doesn't add up man, for many reasons.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Are you sure?

It says they tested a december sample before his Cejudo fight, not the Cody ones.

Unless something changed but all i say is cody asking for them to be re-tested, not that they have been.

Joe Rogan just admited he was duped by a clickbait article on this one. Tested negative on the two Cody fights.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Guys, the UFC brought in USADA to legitimize the sport. Before USADA, they had guys growing muscles on their eyeballs. To the general public, it was a freak show and to a certain extent, it was. They've cleaned up the extreme violators for the most part and accomplished their goal with USADA. They are now on ESPN.

They should keep USADA around to keep things under control, but they need to loosen up a little bit. Basically, they need to do what the other major sports are doing. Suspending guys for pot or PED levels that are so low because of 'tainted supplements' is not good for anybody.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 2 targeted for August after Dana White says Brock Lesnar retired

Rumored a few weeks ago but now almost official. I really think Dos Santos is more deserving right now but what are you gonna do I guess.

Anyone is more deserving, Stipe basically did nothing since losing

Stipe:

Fought UFC 226, lost by KO round 1.

Ngannou

UFC 226 Where Stipe and DC fought Ngannou fought as well and lost a boring fight. Both we're losers.
4 months later Ngannou KO'd Blaydes after 45 seconds
3 months later faces Valesquez, KO'd Cain after 26 seconds
Targeted to fight JDS at UFC 239 in July

Stipe? Might fight after July. Kind of ridiculous.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Anyone is more deserving, Stipe basically did nothing since losing

Stipe:

Fought UFC 226, lost by KO round 1.

Ngannou

UFC 226 Where Stipe and DC fought Ngannou fought as well and lost a boring fight. Both we're losers.
4 months later Ngannou KO'd Blaydes after 45 seconds
3 months later faces Valesquez, KO'd Cain after 26 seconds
Targeted to fight JDS at UFC 239 in July

Stipe? Might fight after July. Kind of ridiculous.
It does feel pretty unfair to Ngannou , although Stipe was a long term champ so I can sorta see the logic there.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
First Marc-André Barriault ufc fight tonight. I have a feeling he got a bad match up for his first fight. I could see him go to 170lbs after this fight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
First Marc-André Barriault ufc fight tonight. I have a feeling he got a bad match up for his first fight. I could see him go to 170lbs after this fight.
I don't think it's too bad, Sanchez has more big stage experience obviously but other than that he's mostly just a journeyman. He's got decent hands though so you don't want to underestimate him either.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't think it's too bad, Sanchez has more big stage experience obviously but other than that he's mostly just a journeyman. He's got decent hands though so you don't want to underestimate him either.

He's also a division 1 wrestler, Barriault has never fought such a high level wrestler, he has also won jiu-jitsu tournament. Barriault doesn't want to go on the ground.

They were sparring together at Tristar when they got the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad