OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
EPO stays for a short amount of time in the body, you could go the full training camp on EPO and stop a week before the fight and test negative, while benefiting for all the extra rounds in training.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
EPO stays for a short amount of time in the body, you could go the full training camp on EPO and stop a week before the fight and test negative, while benefiting for all the extra rounds in training.

Maybe so but testing is random and relatively frequent for champs.

TJ had 27 tests in 2 years. Tests are random and I think EPO stays for a week. It's a dangerous game to play if on average you're testing once every 3-4 weeks.

Last year the OIC said they were developing methods to have longer testing windows for these things.

In any case the most disturbing thing is what Ali Abdelazi said. He knows people on EPO but refuses to turn them in and expects sport to get better. I feel like it's a cop out move. "I'm no snitch but I will complain afterwards". It's one or the other.

------------

Either way the point of that was that if Joe Rogan said it was tested positive he's wrong. Does it mean he was or wasn't on it? No. It just means he didn't test positive.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Maybe so but testing is random and relatively frequent for champs.

TJ had 27 tests in 2 years. Tests are random and I think EPO stays for a week. It's a dangerous game to play if on average you're testing once every 3-4 weeks.

Last year the OIC said they were developing methods to have longer testing windows for these things.

In any case the most disturbing thing is what Ali Abdelazi said. He knows people on EPO but refuses to turn them in and expects sport to get better. I feel like it's a cop out move. "I'm no snitch but I will complain afterwards". It's one or the other.

------------

Either way the point of that was that if Joe Rogan said it was tested positive he's wrong. Does it mean he was or wasn't on it? No. It just means he didn't test positive.

There are ways to not be tested for a specific amount of time. Let's say you pretend to go for a week long camping trip, you can't be tested during that week, but he could be in a garage hitting the mits, that's just an exemple. They know all the tricks.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There are ways to not be tested for a specific amount of time. Let's say you pretend to go for a week long camping trip, you can't be tested during that week, but he could be in a garage hitting the mits, that's just an exemple. They know all the tricks.

There are ways for sure but I think USADA has limits on how many times you can appear gone without prior notice.

Either way, like I said it was to point out Cody's losses will not be overturned.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They found a hole, up to them to fix it.

We argue two different things. Drug testing needs work, so improve it. You say abolish it.

They never will.
They will never improve to where you want it to be.
They'd be better off education the people who clearly have no understanding on what PEDs are or do.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So they'll never be 100% effective so they should settle on 0%?

What's logic in that?
Euh...okay...bring up %...Just how effective do you think those tests are? Do you think most users are getting caught? Do you think TJ really only used EPO once for his last fight? Or he was probably on it for most of his career? What about Jones? You think he only used the times he tested positive?

Get real man. They are nowhere near 100%. Not even 50%. Considering I think most of those guys are using some form of PED, the amount of time fighters test positive vs number of fights is incredibly small. Not sure exactly why you think most of them are getting caught, as I always said, you seem to have a very naive view of PEDs and testing.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Euh...okay...bring up %...Just how effective do you think those tests are? Do you think most users are getting caught? Do you think TJ really only used EPO once for his last fight? Or he was probably on it for most of his career? What about Jones? You think he only used the times he tested positive?

Get real man. They are nowhere near 100%. Not even 50%. Considering I think most of those guys are using some form of PED, the amount of time fighters test positive vs number of fights is incredibly small.

Jones tested positive several times and got suspended several times.

I never said they were at 100%. Not sure where you got that from my post.

You said "They will never improve to where you want it to be." and I mentioned 100% because I wish they were 100% effective. I never implied they are.

I have no idea how effective they are but if they're even 1% effective better that than 0. Odds are they're way more than 1% obviously.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure if you mean testing is working or it isn't.

it's not. most sports and sport leagues don't bother to test as far as the UFC does, because no one wants that "this sport has PED problems" tag. All the reprecution the UFC gets for doing heavier drug testing is even more of an incentive for other sports to never improve it.

As such, war on PEDs will pretty much remain useless

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
it's not. most sports and sport leagues don't bother to test as far as the UFC does, because no one wants that "this sport has PED problems" tag. All the reprecution the UFC gets for doing heavier drug testing is even more of an incentive for other sports to never improve it.

Maybe so but UFC's claim to legitimacy rests on the belief testing works. Whether it's 25% effective or 75% the UFC can't pull out now.

The NHL's policy is different. USADA will test a player randomly several times a year so in a way they anticipate it. The NHL tests twice completely randomly but you cannot put it off. Unlike figthers saying they're out of town the NHL does testing knowing exactly where you'll be so you can't avoid it.

Either way your statement doesn't suggest drug testing detects or doesn't detect PEDs, it just suggests sports leagues avoid testing for fear of anyone getting caught and tarnishing the sport.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jones tested positive several times and got suspended several times.

I never said they were at 100%. Not sure where you got that from my post.

You said "They will never improve to where you want it to be." and I mentioned 100% because I wish they were 100% effective. I never implied they are.

I have no idea how effective they are but if they're even 1% effective better that than 0. Odds are they're way more than 1% obviously.
Better for whom exactly? The company? the users? the fans? I don't see how that is.
Just for the guys losing? Okay, but then chances are most losers are also using, just like everyone losing to Armstrong was also using.
Bottom line is drug testing is a massive failure. Suggesting we should keep doing what's obviously failing is asinine.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I still believe we need to try to reduce the cheating and I do believe it is already working to varying degrees. Yes many use and don't ever get caught, but many have been caught, and others have never been the same.

You can see a massive difference in performance/physique in some of these guys post USADA, its laughable.

I don't believe you quit something just because it is difficult. I also think many of these guys will continue to get caught because I don't believe most of these fighters even make enough money to stay ahead of the game like they do in other fairly compensated sports.

The reason testing needs to continue is because being on the juice is not fair to those who want to compete without being on gear. They shouldn't have to. I don't believe these guys are that ahead of the curve when it comes to beating the tests, actually they seem quite amateurish at it. I'm sure if I was on something to give me an edge that I knew was illegal and potentually career ending I would never pop. A lot of these guys seem either very poorly disciplined or receiving bad advice or both. I think USADA has made huge strides in a relatively short period, lots of ppl popping. Nothing is ever perfect.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Better for whom exactly? The company? the users? the fans? I don't see how that is.
Just for the guys losing? Okay, but then chances are most losers are also using, just like everyone losing to Armstrong was also using.
Bottom line is drug testing is a massive failure. Suggesting we should keep doing what's obviously failing is asinine.

So again, unless it's working really well no point trying?

If it deters a few people it's worth it. Look at Hendricks before and after USADA. Look at Overeem lose some of his cut. Etc...

Let it keep going. It's UFC's money, what do you care?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I still believe we need to try to reduce the cheating and I do believe it is already working to varying degrees. Yes many use and don't ever get caught, but many have been caught, and others have never been the same.

You can see a massive difference in performance/physique in some of these guys post USADA, its laughable.

I don't believe you quit something just because it is difficult. I also think many of these guys will continue to get caught because I don't believe most of these fighters even make enough money to stay ahead of the game like they do in other fairly compensated sports.

The reason testing needs to continue is because being on the juice is not fair to those who want to compete without being on gear. They shouldn't have to. I don't believe these guys are that ahead of the curve when it comes to beating the tests, actually they seem quite amateurish at it. I'm sure if I was on something to give me an edge that I knew was illegal and potentually career ending I would never pop. A lot of these guys seem either very poorly disciplined or receiving bad advice or both. I think USADA has made huge strides in a relatively short period, lots of ppl popping. Nothing is ever perfect.

This, 100%.

Even if it's not perfect why pull out now? Because it's hard? Jeez.

Make it better, that's it. Let testing improve rather than cutting it off.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This, 100%.

Even if it's not perfect why pull out now? Because it's hard? Jeez.

Make it better, that's it. Let testing improve rather than cutting it off.
No. Because it's a massive failure. Just because its “better” doesnt mean its effective or working.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I dont think it's working at all. Do some get caught and stop? Ya. But that's pretty irrelevant if the guys behind are pretty much all taking it.
Go back to Armstrong getting caught. Great man, except all the guys trailing were also on it.
Do I believe Overeem getting caught means Brock stopping? Nope.
Look at Jones...on it or not...no difference, does that mean he's still using?

Bottom line is testing doesnt work. Sure, you might catch one guy, all that does is make the next one in line, who's likely also using, the next champ.

If they went back to test the Sean Sherks, Liddells, Coututes, Arlovskis, Hughes, Ortizs...Im sure they were all on some stuff.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
No. Because it's a massive failure. Just because its “better” doesnt mean its effective or working.

What’s wrong with better?

You’re not advocating changing the program. You’re advocating removing it to a worse success rate(0%).

If your point was they need better tech, more science, etc then sure.

You’re saying give up and have it worse.

Again, it’s not your money. There’s no cap type of issue here. Let UFC try.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What’s wrong with better?

You’re not advocating changing the program. You’re advocating removing it to a worse success rate(0%).

If your point was they need better tech, more science, etc then sure.

You’re saying give up and have it worse.

Again, it’s not your money. There’s no cap type of issue here. Let UFC try.

1) Because its failing miserably.
2) Because there is a complete lack of understanding of what PEDs are.
3) Because I'm way more interested in money being pumped into development of safe drugs vs a completely failing strategy.

They tried controlling it, it hasn't worked...so let's try an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad