OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Would be good for whichever mod that closes the previous thread to start a new one...Just sayin'.

@LyricalLyricist Again, JJ looked bigger at the weigh ins already.

Sure. I won't pretend to know how the weight cutting impacts the look of the body.

Like I said, in the behind the scenes stuff they clearly suggest Smith did very little weight cutting though. So yeah, Jones would be bigger at fight night. Whether he looked bigger before doesn't really change that. Jones does cut.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
So how is weight cutting before the fight to make weight make sense when they end up re-hydrating and going back close to what they weighed before the cuts?

Why not just weigh the fighters periodically like when they're doing the doping tests and take the average weight over the year as their fight weight? Wouldn't that make more sense and have people fighting close to their natural weight and stop the dangerous weight cuts the guys do?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So how is weight cutting before the fight to make weight make sense when they end up re-hydrating and going back close to what they weighed before the cuts?

It's all about an advantage. IF the other guy can do it, you don't want to not do it or you're giving up significant weight come fight night. A lot of guys push themselves to have that competitive advantage. Guys like Till are better off as middleweights(185) than welterweight(170). Its just the name of the game and I believe it's very popular from wrestling circles.

Why not just weigh the fighters periodically like when they're doing the doping tests and take the average weight over the year as their fight weight? Wouldn't that make more sense and have people fighting close to their natural weight and stop the dangerous weight cuts the guys do?

There are certain organizations like ONE championship(I think) who have a certain level of hydration they'd expect so you can't dehydrate too much or you get flagged.

The problem with testing the average is that suppose a fighter isn't one of these jacked fitness types who stays lean all year round. A lot of times they're working on technique at the gym but going out for beers, eating burgers, cake, etc... It's not their training camp shape.

ONE's model does several weight cut checks through fight week which is good but I am unsure if they are had issues too. It seems like a more practical model but who knows.

Reactions: Edgy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure. I won't pretend to know how the weight cutting impacts the look of the body.

Like I said, in the behind the scenes stuff they clearly suggest Smith did very little weight cutting though. So yeah, Jones would be bigger at fight night. Whether he looked bigger before doesn't really change that. Jones does cut.
Sure, my point was just to say Jones has an edge on bone and muscle density. I think he's also taller, not sure how their height was listed as the same...or maybe I misread that stat.

I know JJ was around 222lbs for Gustaf fight. For the record, AG was 219.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sure, my point was just to say Jones has an edge on bone and muscle density. I think he's also taller, not sure how their height was listed as the same...or maybe I misread that stat.

I know JJ was around 222lbs for Gustaf fight. For the record, AG was 219.

Yeah, he looks, bigger, longer, taller but height is listed as the same for whatever reason.

Either way, Jones is a big dude.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's all about an advantage. IF the other guy can do it, you don't want to not do it or you're giving up significant weight come fight night.

Then again, it stops being much of an advantage when everyone is doing it, potentially affecting their health in the process.

It's definitely an issue that should be adressed. Especially considering it would change nothing. The '170lbs' guys would still be fighting between themselves, but instead they would all be at 185.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Then again, it stops being much of an advantage when everyone is doing it, potentially affecting their health in the process.

It's definitely an issue that should be adressed. Especially considering it would change nothing. The '170lbs' guys would still be fighting between themselves, but instead they would all be at 185.

I'm no expert but I don't think everyone has the same ease in doing this.

Younger guys can cut weight easier than older guys. Maybe taller guys have easier time cutting weight and exploiting the advantage than a smaller guy.

I really don't know but in some cases it is excessive and dangerous.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'd argue these days it's more of an advantage to move up one division and be the lighter and faster fighter. Cormier is HW champ, LHW's top 5 is being invaded by mid level middleweights, Middleweight has a former lower-end welterweight as a champ in Whittaker, Nunes murked the terrifying Cyborg. Speed absolutely kills, especially when your opponents can't see your strikes coming.

I legit think if someone beats Jones, it's has probably to be an elite middleweight with size deciding to move up.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Even with the additional angles and slow mo replays, I still think Robbie was out. Your arm doesn't go limp like that for no reason, no he wasn't trying to relax to ease pressure ffs, his arm fell at free fall speed. Maybe Herb, grabbing his arm woke him up, but he was definitely out for a few seconds imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Even with the additional angles and slow mo replays, I still think Robbie was out. Your arm doesn't go limp like that for no reason, no he wasn't trying to relax to ease pressure ffs, his arm fell at free fall speed. Maybe Herb, grabbing his arm woke him up, but he was definitely out for a few seconds imo.
Ya, that's my belief too, there is no way his arm moves this way. His arm dropped and it looked dead. It wasn't tensed as someone who consciously brings an arm down would do.
And when Herb slaps the arm, it wouldnt move so easily as if its motionless. He would feel muscle tension after slapping it.
Herb stopped the first because 1) arm appeared to go limp, 2) Lawler was non responsive to his vocal warning, 3) after slapping his arm be felt no muscle tension.

I also think slapping the arm caused Lawler to wake up a bit, and at the same time, Akren let go so he came straight back to consciousness.

Not a freaking chance I believe Lawler wasn't out. Fact he isnt even upset about this also makes it look like deep down he knows he was out for a bit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd argue these days it's more of an advantage to move up one division and be the lighter and faster fighter. Cormier is HW champ, LHW's top 5 is being invaded by mid level middleweights, Middleweight has a former lower-end welterweight as a champ in Whittaker, Nunes murked the terrifying Cyborg. Speed absolutely kills, especially when your opponents can't see your strikes coming.

I legit think if someone beats Jones, it's has probably to be an elite middleweight with size deciding to move up.
There is no one way for this. Body composition can be very different. Not to mention, your entire life training can also have a huge impact.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ya, that's my belief too, there is no way his arm moves this way. His arm dropped and it looked dead. It wasn't tensed as someone who consciously brings an arm down would do.
And when Herb slaps the arm, it wouldnt move so easily as if its motionless. He would feel muscle tension after slapping it.
Herb stopped the first because 1) arm appeared to go limp, 2) Lawler was non responsive to his vocal warning, 3) after slapping his arm be felt no muscle tension.

I also think slapping the arm caused Lawler to wake up a bit, and at the same time, Akren let go so he came straight back to consciousness.

Not a freaking chance I believe Lawler wasn't out. Fact he isnt even upset about this also makes it look like deep down he knows he was out for a bit.
He said he wasn't out and I don't think he's lying. I think he just doesn't know or remember.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He said he wasn't out and I don't think he's lying. I think he just doesn't know or remember.
He said he put his arm down to relax it, I think that was a lie. Nobody brings their arm down like that, especially when you're getting choked, no way you do that.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Never seen that submission before. Pretty slick move and must be painful

Reactions: TRG

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah if he said that, he's full of **** IMO.
He did, you can here him at the post-fight interview say it:

Around the 30sec mark ''I'm not just going to dangle a hand there so I just put it down''.
Ya...nah..I don't buy that for a second. That arm went limp.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dariush has always been real frustrating to me. The dude should be so much better than he is, he never became the fighter he could have been.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Dariush has always been real frustrating to me. The dude should be so much better than he is, he never became the fighter he could have been.

Seems to be lacking physical strength and distance.

Derrick Lewis started throwing head kicks, but gets KOed. Surprisingly good kicks.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Seems to be lacking physical strength and distance.

Derrick Lewis started throwing head kicks, but gets KOed. Surprisingly good kicks.
Yeah he really did add to his repertoire a bit, I was surprised to see him throw so many kicks. He even threw a switch kick at some point, which is real athletic for a 280+ pounds guy.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
So McGregor got arrested last night, because he smashed the cell phone of a guy who took a picture of him at 5am. I think you should be legally allowed to smash the phone of someone who takes a picture of you without your consent.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So McGregor got arrested last night, because he smashed the cell phone of a guy who took a picture of him at 5am. I think you should be legally allowed to smash the phone of someone who takes a picture of you without your consent.
Hmm..when you're someone who's always asking for attention like CM though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->