OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Zhang and JJ fight was a lot of fun to watch. JJ losing despite pulling 2 cheap shots, one at the end of the 1st round with a straight punch after the bell and one at the end of the 2nd round with a head butt. I had the fight 4 rounds to 1 for Zhang.
Don’t really consider those cheap shots. For one, I don’t think the butt was intentional and the extra shot at the end of the round was just a fired up fighter showing some emotion. It’s not like it landed and caused damage.

I had it 3-2 JJ. I need a second viewing.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Don’t really consider those cheap shots. For one, I don’t think the butt was intentional and the extra shot at the end of the round was just a fired up fighter showing some emotion. It’s not like it landed and caused damage.

I had it 3-2 JJ. I need a second viewing.
JJ is an experienced fighter and knew what she was doing with the cheap shots and that she wouldn't get a warning. The headbutt could have completely change the outcome of the fight. Zhang had take downs, but none for JJ.
Great fight!

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't know about you guys but the empty arena thing feels pretty fine to me , it's not taking much away from my enjoyment. It reminds me of watching Pancrase and Pride way back, with the super quiet japanese crowds.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Missed the fight, was he that bad?

In a way, it went to a decision so its longest he's ever fought so that's something he can learn from.
He got taken down early in all three rounds and ended up spending most of the fight on his back. It wasn't a complete domination , he managed to reverse and gain control on top at the end of the second round. In the end though it really wasn't the kind of performance he needed to get back to where he was before the Anderson fight .

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Haven't watched MMA in years but I'm looking forward to this one. Desperate for sports and this will at least scratch the itch.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Dana ''we secured an island in international waters, we're building the structure''....god what a feeling it must be to have so much funds you can literally do/buy anything.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Dana ''we secured an island in international waters, we're building the structure''....god what a feeling it must be to have so much funds you can literally do/buy anything.

Many Islands are quiet "affordable"

Private Islands For Sale Worldwide

Something like this for 800K looks pretty good.

_1202_image_8b30dfa3a7.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

Arrow Head Caye - Belize, Central America - Private Islands for Sale

From a couple hundred thousands to >100 millions. Will be interesting to see how they price this event on PPV. Typically they are priced expecting mass gatherings, not something recommended these days.

If this is a one time/short term thing, I'm surprised they are not simply renting one.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Many Islands are quiet "affordable"

Private Islands For Sale Worldwide

Something like this for 800K looks pretty good.

_1202_image_8b30dfa3a7.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

Arrow Head Caye - Belize, Central America - Private Islands for Sale

From a couple hundred thousands to >100 millions. Will be interesting to see how they price this event on PPV. Typically they are priced expecting mass gatherings, not something recommended these days.

I'm surprised they are not simply renting one.

I guess it depends on the scale. It's a bit weird to me anyways to have these sporting events without fans. It's like wrestlemania, was weird as hell.
At least the UFC has been producing the Ultimate Fighter, but even then, you still had two teams of fighters cheering and yelling. As it stands, they probably will limit the number of cornermen and press. There won't be anybody there cheering other than maybe a coach or two.
Also, TUF is filmed inside small studios, so if they build something big, it'll be weird.
If it's an outdoor set up by the beach, might be interesting.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You have to wonder if Dana White's insanity will pay off.

Everyone's craving something to watch, especially sporting fans. UFC is only mainstream thing that will be on. Either complete flop or they win over fans.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
UFC 249 cancelled, all other events postponed indefinitely - Sportsnet.ca
Welp, sanity did prevail in the end. You have to think some major secret negociation had to happen in order to make Dana back down on this cause he was 100 % ready to let people potentialy die with zero hesitation. The guy gives no shit whatsoever. The ESPN big boss probably had to be the one to put his foot down.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
UFC 249 cancelled, all other events postponed indefinitely - Sportsnet.ca
Welp, sanity did prevail in the end. You have to think some major secret negociation had to happen in order to make Dana back down on this cause he was 100 % ready to let people potentialy die with zero hesitation. The guy gives no shit whatsoever. The ESPN big boss probably had to be the one to put his foot down.
Why would people die from doing this??? They'd test the fighters and workers beforehand.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Why would people die from doing this??? They'd test the fighters and workers beforehand.
It's not just the fighters and the crew, it's the catering, the doctors,etc. Even with a small crew we're still talking a lot of people in a relatively small place. Plus what if someone gets a serious injury, was Dana going to build an hospital on his private island too? It was just an insane idea all around IMO. I'm the first one who would be over the moon happy with watching fights but there's just no way of doing it right now.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I wanted Lee to win. Especially now that he's basically living in montreal to train. Didn't work out.
Can’t stand Lee. I don’t care where he’s living. His plead at the end of the fight was hilarious. Sore loser, this guy. I wanted to cheer for him, but I just can’t.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's not just the fighters and the crew, it's the catering, the doctors,etc. Even with a small crew we're still talking a lot of people in a relatively small place. Plus what if someone gets a serious injury, was Dana going to build an hospital on his private island too? It was just an insane idea all around IMO. I'm the first one who would be over the moon happy with watching fights but there's just no way of doing it right now.
You know you can’t catch the virus from people who don’t have it, right?? If they ran tests like a week out and then the night before I don’t think that’s an issue.

you do have a good point about the serious injury part though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Glad to get some live sports again, I'll be watching tonight for sure . It's not quite 100% safe yet but at least the crazy private island thing was dropped so the people involved are getting taken care of better.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Glad to get some live sports again, I'll be watching tonight for sure . It's not quite 100% safe yet but at least the crazy private island thing was dropped so the people involved are getting taken care of better.

Nicaruagua hosted a boxing event. They were spraying fighters with disinfectant between rounds.

27666290-8258251-A_fighter_is_sprayed_with_disinfectant_in_bizarre_scenes_at_an_a-a-25_1587904969126.jpg

Fans with social distancing

27666096-8258251-image-a-7_1587896286591.jpg

Temp checks

27668018-8258251-image-a-24_1587902199552.jpg

Ring girls too

27666100-8258251-Ring_girls_were_seen_wearing_face_masks_as_coronavirus_provision-a-48_1587908596076.jpg

Should wear sexy nurses outfits to honor our front line workers. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad