OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
All this talk of Santos being hurt but you just said yourself Jones needed more help leaving the cage...yet...nobody talks about how hurt Jones was and how that likely impacted his performance.

Jones needed a wheelchair to get to post fight presser yet people criticize him for not taking advantage of a hurt opponent, well, he visibly was also very hurt.

To read this thread, it's as if Jones sat back doing very little and was a ***** for not destroying Santos.
Jones was seen dancing at his after fight party. He couldn't have been that hurt.

Oh yeah... cocaine

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
All this talk of Santos being hurt but you just said yourself Jones needed more help leaving the cage...yet...nobody talks about how hurt Jones was and how that likely impacted his performance.

Jones needed a wheelchair to get to post fight presser yet people criticize him for not taking advantage of a hurt opponent, well, he visibly was also very hurt.

To read this thread, it's as if Jones sat back doing very little and was a ***** for not destroying Santos.

Of course it did. When did I say it didn't?

I'm disputing the "Oh Jones just felt like standing against Santos for fun" aspect. Nah, he got clipped hard, Santos had power and he kept his distance. Even his legs were shot.

The big thing about the injury was Santos had a fluke injury, Jones was injured BY Santos. Yet..."Jones clearly won the fight".

You said it yourself, seems like Jones took the most punishment from the actual fight.
The stats are Jones out striking Santos marginally.
The stats are Santos throwing more considerably.

Hence the reason some think he lost. Are you going to dispute what you literally just said? That Santos destroyed Jones' legs to the point he needed a wheelchair. To the point that the guy with a torn MCL, ACL(injuries that Jones did not give him) and so much more had an easier time leaving the cage? Oh...and Jones didn't get takedowns. Oh and Santos had more power punches.

Seems like you're making a case for Santos.

This is what I originally said:

I agree. I don't buy this "Jon wanted to test himself" ****.

They both had injured legs and Jon feared his power. He was running even in last seconds of the fight.

I really wonder how fight goes without Thiago's freak accident. Then again, Jones is so smart he'll be better next time too.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't think Jon purposely wanted to test himself on the feet(God forbid Santos' injury wasn't serious Jones would've suffered for standing). I do think they both were injured. I do this Santos' injury was a freak accident. I also think Jones has a much higher level than Santos but did not show it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course it did. When did I say it didn't?

I'm disputing the "Oh Jones just felt like standing against Santos for fun" aspect. Nah, he got clipped hard, Santos had power and he kept his distance. Even his legs were shot.

The big thing about the injury was Santos had a fluke injury, Jones was injured BY Santos. Yet..."Jones clearly won the fight".

You said it yourself, seems like Jones took the most punishment from the actual fight.
The stats are Jones out striking Santos marginally.
The stats are Santos throwing more considerably.

Hence the reason some think he lost. Are you going to dispute what you literally just said? That Santos destroyed Jones' legs to the point he needed a wheelchair. To the point that the guy with a torn MCL, ACL(injuries that Jones did not give him) and so much more had an easier time leaving the cage? Oh...and Jones didn't get takedowns. Oh and Santos had more power punches.

Seems like you're making a case for Santos.

This is what I originally said:

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't think Jon purposely wanted to test himself on the feet(God forbid Santos' injury wasn't serious Jones would've suffered for standing). I do think they both were injured. I do this Santos' injury was a freak accident. I also think Jones has a much higher level than Santos but did not show it.

I'm saying your version of events paint a very pathetic performance by Jones and a dominant one from Santos. That did not happen.
Jones was running away. Jones got put in a wheelchair. Santos threw way more. Santos had more power punches. Jones no takedown. The only thing Jones got was barely outstriking Santos.

Well dang...if I'm reading this without seeing the fight, Jones got wrecked by Santos.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm saying your version of events paint a very pathetic performance by Jones and a dominant one from Santos. That did not happen.
Jones was running away. Jones got put in a wheelchair. Santos threw way more. Santos had more power punches. Jones no takedown. The only thing Jones got was barely outstriking Santos.

Well dang...if I'm reading this without seeing the fight, Jones got wrecked by Santos.

Let's go through each comment one by one:

Jones was running away.

Not what I said, I said he ran away in the closing seconds of the fight rather than try to make a statement.

Jones got put in a wheelchair.

Damn, I wonder who said that...

So apart from debating with yourself on that front...I didn't even bring that up. So careful calling it 'your version of events' when you brought it up...

Santos threw way more.
Jones no takedown.
The only thing Jones got was barely outstriking Santos.

Again, clearly Jones got credit for 'pressuring' but given he threw less I find that odd. The rest are actual statistics measured by the UFC and easily available online. Are you disputing measured stats now....?

Santos had more power punches.

The only subjective thing here but I'm allowed to have an opinion as well.

Why don't we add what you're suggesting too?

In the same quote above you say Jones was also very hurt, correct? So Santos hurts his leg by fluke and Jones gets hurt by Santos. Let me guess, my opinion of Santos having more 'power shots' still an invalid opinion? It's an opinion you seem to be corroborating. To be fair, I did say "power punches" but I do feel both apply, individually and as a whole. Jones' leg took massive damage. Santos popped a leg he hadn't kicked with!

At end of the day this is how I see it:

No ground time for either guy.
Jones outstriked Santos by a little, Santos seemed to have inflicted more damage.(Stats are available, your comment about Jones requiring more help to leave also supports the opinion).
Jones 'controlled the octagon' but Santos threw more shots.(Center pressure vs stats you can find on UFC website)

There's pros and cons for either but I had it 3-2 Santos. Others had it 3-2 Jones. It happens. It was obviously a very close fight but I wasn't impressed by Jones' performance because I've seen him be much much better. He dominated Anthony Smith and Gus but looked a little more flat vs Santos.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Ryan Hall has managed to make the Elias Theodorou striking style look fun and offensively potent lol

Edit: and of course, as i say that, he's turned it back to trash to watch

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This card is so underwhelming.

The only fights with any remote interest start with Montato just to see if she'll bounce back as a storyline to regain title but she just lost, cementing that she was a joke of a champion and likely terrified of Valentina.

The other is Faber but Simon is ranked 15th so who actually cares? The fight has little consequence. I actually think Simon is going to win, Faber is old and didn't leave on a hot streak either.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i wanna see JJ vs Mousasi (gotta bring him back to UFC) or JJ vs DC @ HW

obviously JJ vs DC @ HW is a way more appealing fight

Tony vs Khabib or GSP vs Khabib

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
i wanna see JJ vs Mousasi (gotta bring him back to UFC) or JJ vs DC @ HW

obviously JJ vs DC @ HW is a way more appealing fight

Tony vs Khabib or GSP vs Khabib

I'm pretty sure GSP has been training for Khabib since his retirement.

Also, I'm really looking forward for OAM next fight in July, he took some time off to change his training. He's been personnaly trained by GSP 2x a week for the last 4 months, I hope it made him a better fighter.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I see Jon Jones is in trouble again. This guy is such a clown show.

Reactions: TRG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad