Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
he is winning faceoffs and shooting plenty. just needs the puck luck now.

agreed aside from stat watching there has not been a complaint about him at center. id rather him finish off the year at C before we get too crazy and say he needs to be a winger. Newhook got moved down to 3C and has played well, I wonder what role Boldy has as the highlights seem to show him off the PP units, at least from what I can see.
I'm not sure where he's been the last few weeks, but he was at the left point on their second PP unit for the handful of games I saw early in the year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don’t move Boldy to wing just because he hasn’t produced in 12 games. Keep him at center and let him work it out. m

Y’all were fine with giving Parise 20-25 games in the NHL as a top line player when he clearly wasn’t one, why would you want Boldy moved from center after 11 games in the NCAA when he’s actually playing well?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So we have another player that looks good, but can't put the puck in the net?:rolleyes:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Don’t move Boldy to wing just because he hasn’t produced in 12 games. Keep him at center and let him work it out. m

Y’all were fine with giving Parise 20-25 games in the NHL as a top line player when he clearly wasn’t one, why would you want Boldy moved from center after 11 games in the NCAA when he’s actually playing well?
I agree, but the reason we were fine with Parise's ice time, was because he wasn't exactly taking away ice time from anyone who showed they deserved it either.

Boldy is playing well from all first hand accounts, so I'm willing to let things play out and see what develops. Surely with his high quality shot, that 2.5 shot percentage will improve.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So we have another player that looks good, but can't put the puck in the net?:rolleyes:
It's frustrating, but he's going from playing wing against 18-19 year olds to playing center against 20-23 year olds. The fact that he's passing the eye test while doing it is a good sign, shooting percentage aside.

Assuming he makes the WJC team it'll probably be as a winger, so we'll see if that plus playing against 18-19 year olds again changes things.

Reactions: TaLoN

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm not sure where he's been the last few weeks, but he was at the left point on their second PP unit for the handful of games I saw early in the year.
i agree early in the year I saw him up top or on the left side from highlights but the recent ones I have seen don't showcase him out there. hard to really know without watching the entire game though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
im not ripping boldy (yet) but i have to laugh at the people who ripped me for being so high on newhook. cheers!

Who in the blue sky f*** ripped you for liking Newhook?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't want to overreact after 11 games, but I just hope that they aren't forcing it because of their team needs.

This is my concern as well. I remember when this team forced Demitra to center and he didn't really like it or perform well. I also can't think of a top prospect performing this badly before. Even Riley Tufte, who came off a rough season his freshman season (injury) managed 9 goals.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is my concern as well. I remember when this team forced Demitra to center and he didn't really like it or perform well. I also can't think of a top prospect performing this badly before. Even Riley Tufte, who came off a rough season his freshman season (injury) managed 9 goals.
Blake Wheeler only managed 9 goals and 23 points in 39 games his freshman year.

He didn't have the change of position situation to deal with that Boldy does.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Blake Wheeler only managed 9 goals and 23 points in 39 games his freshman year.

He didn't have the change of position situation to deal with that Boldy does.

Boldy's 1+1 in 13 games would amount to 6 points in the 37 games Wheeler played his Freshman year. A pretty far cry from 23.

Also, Wheeler's D+1 season was in the USHL, not the NCAA.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boldy's 1+1 in 13 games would amount to 6 points in the 37 games Wheeler played his Freshman year. A pretty far cry from 23.

Also, Wheeler's D+1 season was in the USHL, not the NCAA.
Yeah, but the season isn't over yet. Unless you think he's really going to finish the season on this same pace?

I don't think he will, I think the points will eventually come.

As for the D+1, credit to Boldy for not needing another season before being able to play NCAA level competition? Can't knock him for going to the higher level at a younger age.

Last edited:
Reactions: 123TripleDoge

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
NCAA is a small sample size against guys 2-5 years older than a freshman. As much as I want Boldy to be putting up a PPG right now, it is a long time before he gets put in the bust category with Sheppard and Pouliot.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't want to overreact after 11 games, but I just hope that they aren't forcing it because of their team needs.
If they were desperate for centers, Newhook wouldn't have started the season on the wing. If they weren't happy with Boldy they would have given the #2C spot to Newhook when they moved him.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, but the season isn't over yet. Unless you think he's really going to finish the season on this same pace?

I don't think he will, I think the points will eventually come.

As for the D+1, credit to Boldy for not needing another season before being able to play NCAA level competition? Can't knock him for going to the higher level at a younger age.

I'm guessing/hoping his pace improves, but at this point, I doubt it's going to be enough to catch his contemporaries.

I don't know. It seems to me that completely brushing everything off as nothing is probably just as foolish as proclaiming him a bust.

If they were desperate for centers, Newhook wouldn't have started the season on the wing. If they weren't happy with Boldy they would have given the #2C spot to Newhook when they moved him.

Maybe they did. What's the Boldy vs. Newhook TOI since they've been split?

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm guessing/hoping his pace improves, but at this point, I doubt it's going to be enough to catch his contemporaries.

I don't know. It seems to me that completely brushing everything off as nothing is probably just as foolish as proclaiming him a bust.
At what point did I call it nothing? I just said in this thread I'm wanting to see how it plays out before getting too concerned.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No ice time stats, but this confirms Boldy stayed in place as 2nd line Center, Newhook moved to 3rd line Center.

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/hockey/bc-hockey-new-lines/

There was one other adjustment which went unnoticed against the Friars but paid big dividends the following weekend against UConn. For the first time all season, Newhook and Boldy were separated, with Newhook slotting down to the third line center position. The speedy forward scored the first goal in the Providence game, but it was a power play goal, and he was on ice with the second line.

Hutsko returned against UConn, allowing BC to experiment with the lines even more. He was plugged back into the first line right wing slot. Boldy and Newhook stayed as the second and third line centers, respectively. And Rasanen, dropped to the third line, bumping Marc McLaughlin to the fourth line.

Here are the line the Eagles rolled out against UConn:

Cotton-Mattila-Hutsko
McBain-Boldy-McPhee
Hardman-Newhook-Rasanen
Greco-McLaughlin-Walker

Two games and 11 goals later, it's clear that these should be the Eagles lines for the foreseeable future. Splitting Boldy and Newhook has given BC three offensively-driven lines to roll out on a given night. At the beginning of the season, when the pucks weren’t bouncing the right way for McPhee, Boldy and Newhook, the top line was really the only offensive option. Now, any line can have an off night and be picked dup by the other.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
At what point did I call it nothing? I just said in this thread I'm wanting to see how it plays out before getting too concerned.

Nobody is advocating dumping him off for a 3rd rounder or anything, but we're beyond the point of 'small sample size'. He's a 3rd of the way through his season.

That's where the Wild currently sit, and he had a lot of concerns about a lot of players weeks ago.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
NCAA is a small sample size against guys 2-5 years older than a freshman. As much as I want Boldy to be putting up a PPG right now, it is a long time before he gets put in the bust category with Sheppard and Pouliot.

I don't think anyone is expecting Boldy to put PPG, but maybe what? 5 goals? Wouldn't be a tall order. Maybe 10 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad