Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
AJ Thelen's career completely fell apart in his d+1 year.

The truest bust in franchise history.

At least we got a 2nd round pick for not signing Thelen. We got Knight for Phillips and uh...nothing for Cuma. Also we got Zidlicky for Jones and a 2nd round pick and Bordeleau, although didn't play for Minnesota, had at least one decent season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At least we got a 2nd round pick for not signing Thelen. We got Knight for Phillips and uh...nothing for Cuma. Also we got Zidlicky for Jones and a 2nd round pick and Bordeleau, although didn't play for Minnesota, had at least one decent season.
Phillips was raved about for years before flopping in the AHL, and still, we had Brodin to carry that draft.

Cuma was developing far better than anyone expected on draft day, just when everyone was getting excited and penciling him into lineups, he'd tear up a knee... after multiple knee injuries, he couldn't skate, and his entire game was based on his superb skating. Can't fault the guy for bad luck.

Thus, it still goes back to Thelen as the most forgettable 1st round pick that forced later picks to carry the draft in the fans minds.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Cuma was developing far better than anyone expected on draft day, just when everyone was getting excited and penciling him into lineups, he'd tear up a knee... after multiple knee injuries, he couldn't skate, and his entire game was based on his superb skating. Can't fault the guy for bad luck.

No, but he is pretty forgettable 1st round pick. Also Gillies LOL. I forgot we drafted him.

Thus, it still goes back to Thelen as the most forgettable 1st round pick that forced later picks to carry the draft in the fans minds.

I remember everyone wanted Thelen over Stafford. I wanted Stafford, but we had gone forward in the draft a bunch and so we needed defensemen. Also we moved up to grab Cuma. That was such an awful draft (4 picks) and only Scandella was able to salvage that draft. 2007 and 2008 is what killed the Wild.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No, but he is pretty forgettable 1st round pick. Also Gillies LOL. I forgot we drafted him.

I remember everyone wanted Thelen over Stafford. I wanted Stafford, but we had gone forward in the draft a bunch and so we needed defensemen. Also we moved up to grab Cuma. That was such an awful draft (4 picks) and only Scandella was able to salvage that draft. 2007 and 2008 is what killed the Wild.
Yet, back to the original point... only Thelen was so instantly forgettable as was the mentioned criteria. He was literally written off by fans his d+1 season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yet, back to the original point... only Thelen was so instantly forgettable as was the mentioned criteria. He was literally written off by fans his d+1 season.

I don't think it was his play, but the fact that there was some weird crap going down at MSU.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The original also included 2nd-7th rounders carrying the pool, not just 1st rounders putting up forgettable seasons.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think it was his play, but the fact that there was some weird crap going down at MSU.
It was everything about him both on and off ice. His game vanished, then he became a cancer. His game was never seen again as quality at any level he played from then on.

The original also included 2nd-7th rounders carrying the pool, not just 1st rounders putting up forgettable seasons.
As I mentioned, and you did as well, Voloshenko was highly thought of for a time. He was originally expected to be a first round pick. People called him a steal on draft day and were genuinely excited about him for a while. He just never panned out.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It was everything about him both on and off ice. His game vanished, then he became a cancer. His game was never seen again as quality at any level he played from then on.

Was it ever reported what exactly happened?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Color me shocked that a 19 year old was drinking and didn't take his career as seriously as he should.
The drinking was allegedly enough that teammates had brought it up to their coach.

I'm not shocked either that college kids are acting like college kids, but I also can't blame the coach for acting accordingly if he felt it was becoming a problem for the team.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Boldy doesn’t strike me as the alcoholic type, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a little bit of a whiteclaw problem

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
After watching a little more of Sam Hentges, I think he has Joe Pavelski upside

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
why do you say that? I don't catch any of college or nhl games thanks to dish so fill me in please!

he dangles like Pavelski did in college... I remember Pavs having a bigger shot but other then that... the skating, the speed, the playmaking... all very similar

Oh and Hentges has produced in every game but one

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean Pavelski has scored 37 or more goals 4 times. If hentges gives us Haula production I’m elated

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Firstov with a nice goal

His 2nd wasn't bad either;

On top of that Khovanov had 2 more goals last night. (19 goals and 23 assist in 22 games, 6th in the QMJHL in points)
and
Beckman had 1 goal and 1 assist. (12 goals and 25 assist in 23 games, 4th in the WHL in points)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad