125idxk.jpg

The nearly completed finished product:

24378491282_437df0c6fb_h.jpg

That is a nice bike.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Wasn't sure to post this here or in the Non-Minnesota NHL News thread, but Clayton Stoner has pleaded guilty on that illegal bear hunting incident from a few years ago.

http://www.timescolonist.com/nhl-de...xfs&st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/ZZghNbRqMe

Yeesh, falsifying his address to illegally get a license?

It's one thing for Joe Blow to say "Oh, yeah, I totally live there" and maybe get away with it; not as easy when your whereabouts are broadcast on regional/national TV for more than half the year, Clayton....

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeesh, falsifying his address to illegally get a license?

It's one thing for Joe Blow to say "Oh, yeah, I totally live there" and maybe get away with it; not as easy when your whereabouts are broadcast on regional/national TV for more than half the year, Clayton....

Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten about this *******.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
any other Rooster Teeth fans go and see Lazer Team last night?

I thought it was a good movie overall, and loved a lot of the Easter Eggs they threw in for the fans. My wife who is a complete non fan of them enjoyed parts of it too. I hope this can lead to more movies from them in the future. Also, there is no denying that they have one hell of a community established. Never have I seen a movie theater full of people so hyped and cheering on things before and after a movie. Well done RT.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Hmm. So I was just offered a job (woot! been looking for FT for a while) that will last a few months. That's the good part. The bad part is that there were, as far as I know, only two candidates: me, and my friend's spouse. This was because he had originally accepted the job, but then had to decline when something better for him came up. They apparently asked for his recommendation, and he gave them both of our names, which... I can only assume he gave them my info just to be nice and throw me a bone, because his spouse is outlandishly more qualified for the position than I am. But despite this, they offered me the job, and I'm struggling a bit with the "why". For various reasons, I highly doubt it's sexism, but it's really tough to get my head around the idea that I simply interviewed better than someone else :huh:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hmm. So I was just offered a job (woot! been looking for FT for a while) that will last a few months. That's the good part. The bad part is that there were, as far as I know, only two candidates: me, and my friend's spouse. This was because he had originally accepted the job, but then had to decline when something better for him came up. They apparently asked for his recommendation, and he gave them both of our names, which... I can only assume he gave them my info just to be nice and throw me a bone, because his spouse is outlandishly more qualified for the position than I am. But despite this, they offered me the job, and I'm struggling a bit with the "why". For various reasons, I highly doubt it's sexism, but it's really tough to get my head around the idea that I simply interviewed better than someone else :huh:

First off, congrats on the job!!! :handclap::handclap::yo::yo::pickle::pickle:

If you don't mind, what field is it in? (You don't have to answer)

I highly doubt it's sexism as well. Many companies now are taking people with good attitude and personality, who are still qualified but are not to the point where they are set in their ways. Most owners I deal with (I am a consultant,) would rather take someone they can mold into what they want rather than someone who has been around the block and may not be as open to different style of whatever it is your doing.

Again, congrats on the gig!

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Do a 1½ hour broadcast and have the Mumble server experience the first connection problems in ages just before interviews:

TQzcFsX.gif

That was, like, 16th or so broadcast I've been the main commentator in, and I think about half of them have had some issues. It's fun to get reports that "You sound like some robot chicken", and have no idea what causes it until everyone gets it just during the first interview. We had to eventually switch to TeamSpeak for interviews, during live broadcast.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I swear it seems like the last 3 days it has been sunny at some point during the day, just teasing me. And then by the time I leave work it's all cloudy and dreary again.

Here we are again, the skies have parted and the sun is shining. And it'll probably cloud up right at 4:25. Just in time for me to leave work.... :laugh:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So I've been thinking about this for a while now and believe I'm ready to go through with it. In doing so, I need some advice if anybody has any.

I'm looking to move to Germany. Has anybody done so, or know someone that has? I'm not entirely sure on the process but would like to know what I have to do.

Thanks,
Me

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Welp, I'm happy to announce that Baby #2 is on the way. Should get a brand new Wild fan sometime around training camp. :D

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
First off, congrats on the job!!! :handclap::handclap::yo::yo::pickle::pickle:

If you don't mind, what field is it in? (You don't have to answer)

I highly doubt it's sexism as well. Many companies now are taking people with good attitude and personality, who are still qualified but are not to the point where they are set in their ways. Most owners I deal with (I am a consultant,) would rather take someone they can mold into what they want rather than someone who has been around the block and may not be as open to different style of whatever it is your doing.

Again, congrats on the gig!

Thanks! I'm in education by default, but have been exceedingly open-minded about what kind of jobs I'd take over the last six months. I seriously applied to I don't know how many postings for everything from teacher to administrative assistant to part-time clerk at Barnes & Noble, but I heard back from almost none of them. The most heartbreaking are the "rejections" you get for state/government positions where it's obvious they don't even read your **** before telling you you're disqualified. I'm just like, "************.... your 'qualifications' for the position included 'minimum proficiency in English' and 'ability to lift 25lbs'" :help:

But anyway, I'm a little more hopeful for the future now (since every decent job you get looks good on a resume), though very much disheartened by the process. The "it's not what you know, it's who you know" saying really applied in this case; for the position I got, if I were just applying for it out of the blue, I guarantee they wouldn't give me a second look based on my resume.

Meanwhile, Baby Boomers complain about Gen-Y'ers/Millenials being lazy and unemployed, when back in their day they were--if you believe them--able to just walk into a building and be offered a job based on gumption alone. If we did that, they'd call security, and we'd end up with a police record, and the associated even further lowering of job prospects :rant:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
So I've been thinking about this for a while now and believe I'm ready to go through with it. In doing so, I need some advice if anybody has any.

I'm looking to move to Germany. Has anybody done so, or know someone that has? I'm not entirely sure on the process but would like to know what I have to do.

Thanks,
Me

It is extremely difficult. The "easiest" way is to get an American job with a company that has a big presence overseas, and apply for a transfer. Also, there are some professions that are considered highly desirable by the German government, and if you have one of those, you can get fast-tracked for residency (and employment). Otherwise, if you have work that is "location independent"--whether writing, consulting, or whatever--you can move to Germany, but you need a good chunk of change in the bank from the start; I forget what it is exactly, but let's just say $10,000. You can also try just straight up going on Indeed.com or whatever and looking for job postings in Germany, but again, unless you're basically a rock star at what you do, the German companies who will pay to fly you out to interview and so on are few and far between; oftentimes they'll bury it somewhere in the job posting that if you don't already reside in Germany, your application will be discarded.

So, all that said, it's something worth looking into if you really, really want to do it. But if it's just "I think Germany's neat, I might like to live there", it's probably not going to work out. Anyway, there are actually a ton of online resources for this, believe it or not, and seemingly contrary to what I just told you, there are thousands of Americans living in Germany right now. A good place to start is--oddly enough--the ToyTownGermany forums.

Good luck and hey, if you should happen to find some mystical shortcut through the ********, please by all means let me know :D

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, freelancing is a totally legit means of income in Germany, just as it is here. Also like here, it is extremely difficult to get your "business" up and running, since you mostly work off reputation. But if it's something you can get off the ground, this would count towards your "location-independent" income requirement.

EDIT II: One more thing--I suppose it goes without saying, but teaching English is also a valid occupation, though you'd be hard pressed to make a super comfy living doing it. You could probably make enough to cover rent, groceries, etc., but this wouldn't be your means of starting a nest egg and settling down in an Alpine chalet, ya know? Still, there are a lot of opportunities for this. Like I said, just check out Indeed.com, and the other things I listed above.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

I thought it was a good movie overall, and loved a lot of the Easter Eggs they threw in for the fans. My wife who is a complete non fan of them enjoyed parts of it too. I hope this can lead to more movies from them in the future. Also, there is no denying that they have one hell of a community established. Never have I seen a movie theater full of people so hyped and cheering on things before and after a movie. Well done RT.

I'm going to go with a few friends tomorrow. I've always been a huge fan of RT especially AH.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN

I didn't feel like driving down to Houston to see it. There were 3 showings set up in the Houston area and they were all basically downtown within the loop. I know I could've set up a showing closer to me (in a better theater that allows you to order food and beer at your seat and stuff), but I didn't feel like it.

I was an IndieGoGo backer, so I get the movie anyway when it comes out digitally.

I've heard it's good, but if it weren't a RT movie and you aren't an RT fan it would be pretty cheesy.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It is extremely difficult. The "easiest" way is to get an American job with a company that has a big presence overseas, and apply for a transfer. Also, there are some professions that are considered highly desirable by the German government, and if you have one of those, you can get fast-tracked for residency (and employment). Otherwise, if you have work that is "location independent"--whether writing, consulting, or whatever--you can move to Germany, but you need a good chunk of change in the bank from the start; I forget what it is exactly, but let's just say $10,000. You can also try just straight up going on Indeed.com or whatever and looking for job postings in Germany, but again, unless you're basically a rock star at what you do, the German companies who will pay to fly you out to interview and so on are few and far between; oftentimes they'll bury it somewhere in the job posting that if you don't already reside in Germany, your application will be discarded.

So, all that said, it's something worth looking into if you really, really want to do it. But if it's just "I think Germany's neat, I might like to live there", it's probably not going to work out. Anyway, there are actually a ton of online resources for this, believe it or not, and seemingly contrary to what I just told you, there are thousands of Americans living in Germany right now. A good place to start is--oddly enough--the ToyTownGermany forums.

Good luck and hey, if you should happen to find some mystical shortcut through the ********, please by all means let me know :D

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, freelancing is a totally legit means of income in Germany, just as it is here. Also like here, it is extremely difficult to get your "business" up and running, since you mostly work off reputation. But if it's something you can get off the ground, this would count towards your "location-independent" income requirement.

EDIT II: One more thing--I suppose it goes without saying, but teaching English is also a valid occupation, though you'd be hard pressed to make a super comfy living doing it. You could probably make enough to cover rent, groceries, etc., but this wouldn't be your means of starting a nest egg and settling down in an Alpine chalet, ya know? Still, there are a lot of opportunities for this. Like I said, just check out Indeed.com, and the other things I listed above.

Thanks! I'm currently employed by 3M, which has quite a few offices in Germany. The biggest one is in Dortmund. I'm certainly not in the "Hey this would be neat phase", I've been thinking of doing it for 10 years or so now. I'm going to assume Germany is much like here in the fact that, currently, IT professionals are hard to come by. At least good ones.

I have told my boss, at 3M, that I would like to transfer out to Germany. I have my review in a few weeks; I was going to bring it back up then. I'm covered on savings in the bank. Especially if I were to sell my house. I have plenty of friends over in Germany so I don't think getting help to get myself off the ground would be that difficult to find.

Here's hoping 3M just transfers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad