OT: General OT Thread #39: Intel Popcorn Processor 39000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Thanks! I'm currently employed by 3M, which has quite a few offices in Germany. The biggest one is in Dortmund. I'm certainly not in the "Hey this would be neat phase", I've been thinking of doing it for 10 years or so now. I'm going to assume Germany is much like here in the fact that, currently, IT professionals are hard to come by. At least good ones.

I have told my boss, at 3M, that I would like to transfer out to Germany. I have my review in a few weeks; I was going to bring it back up then. I'm covered on savings in the bank. Especially if I were to sell my house. I have plenty of friends over in Germany so I don't think getting help to get myself off the ground would be that difficult to find.

Here's hoping 3M just transfers me.

Oh, that's awesome then. In that case, you are way ahead of the curve. I'd just kiss whomever's ass you have to in order to get transferred (being a good worker can also help in this regard :D ). As I understand it, transfers within the company are largely handled in-company, if that makes sense. That is, it's a lot easier than just deciding you want to work in Germany, applying for a work visa on your own, etc. etc.; in your case, your employer might even handle all the gross paperwork for you :amazed:

As for IT, yeah that is definitely one of the areas that is "prioritized", although--I mean no offense at all, but--I've never been quite sure why this is, because it seems like everyone and their brother went [back] to school 10 years ago to go into IT, so I'd think the market would be completely flooded. But hey, it is what it is, so good luck to you, man!

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I assume you've been to Germany at some point before? Just curious because whether you have friends there or not, I would think that there'd be a tremendous amount of culture shock for like the first 4 months you live there. Do you speak German? (Again, maybe a stupid question..) Because while Germans on the whole are pretty good with the whole English thing, you will still encounter people on a daily basis who either don't, are apprehensive about their ability, or simply refuse to speak English to you out of spite. For some reason [*sarcasm alert*], about 90% of these particular individuals seem to work for the government.... including approximately 100% of the people at the local Bundesamt (no idea what the equivalent is in 'Murican English), whom you have to trust not to screw up your residency paperwork.

Also, just throwing this out there since I'm a dick, but if you have a choice in the matter, I personally wouldn't move to Dortmund (or northwestern Germany generally) if there are any other options ;)

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So I've been thinking about this for a while now and believe I'm ready to go through with it. In doing so, I need some advice if anybody has any.

I'm looking to move to Germany. Has anybody done so, or know someone that has? I'm not entirely sure on the process but would like to know what I have to do.

Thanks,
Me

Don't.

Or, at least, take a vacation there first.

It's a great country, very beautiful and has a great work culture.

But, in the current situation that most of Europe is in? Don't.

Billy Mays Here*

Well, it took a lot longer than I was hoping, especially considering I need it by next week for the class portion of it but I finally got an internship. Gonna be working in the Athletic Department for Hamline helping with stats, game day management, social media and other things. Excited to have an internship right on campus so I don't even have to drive or anything, aside from going to games.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
As for IT, yeah that is definitely one of the areas that is "prioritized", although--I mean no offense at all, but--I've never been quite sure why this is, because it seems like everyone and their brother went [back] to school 10 years ago to go into IT, so I'd think the market would be completely flooded. But hey, it is what it is, so good luck to you, man!

IT weenie here. I do pretty well and that is because of what I actually do in IT. Folks tend to think we are all IT Help Desk people who just reset passwords and run Cat5 to a box and the server just works. I do Incident Response and Pen Testing on a Red Team. The amount of training I go through and the long days are worth it when you finally break something lol.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So I've been thinking about this for a while now and believe I'm ready to go through with it. In doing so, I need some advice if anybody has any.

I'm looking to move to Germany. Has anybody done so, or know someone that has? I'm not entirely sure on the process but would like to know what I have to do.

Thanks,
Me

Lived in Germany for 2 years (well stationed there at least). Absolutely loved it but it is definitely a different beast in comparison to the US. Going to McDonalds and getting a beer was neat though. And I miss Doner Kebab :(

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, that's awesome then. In that case, you are way ahead of the curve. I'd just kiss whomever's ass you have to in order to get transferred (being a good worker can also help in this regard :D ). As I understand it, transfers within the company are largely handled in-company, if that makes sense. That is, it's a lot easier than just deciding you want to work in Germany, applying for a work visa on your own, etc. etc.; in your case, your employer might even handle all the gross paperwork for you :amazed:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I assume you've been to Germany at some point before? Just curious because whether you have friends there or not, I would think that there'd be a tremendous amount of culture shock for like the first 4 months you live there. Do you speak German? (Again, maybe a stupid question..) Because while Germans on the whole are pretty good with the whole English thing, you will still encounter people on a daily basis who either don't, are apprehensive about their ability, or simply refuse to speak English to you out of spite. For some reason [*sarcasm alert*], about 90% of these particular individuals seem to work for the government.... including approximately 100% of the people at the local Bundesamt (no idea what the equivalent is in 'Murican English), whom you have to trust not to screw up your residency paperwork.

Also, just throwing this out there since I'm a dick, but if you have a choice in the matter, I personally wouldn't move to Dortmund (or northwestern Germany generally) if there are any other options ;)

Ich spreche nur am bischen Deutsch. :)

I visited Germany for 3 weeks in 2004, 2 weeks in 2005, 2 weeks in 2008, 2 weeks in 2012, 1 week in 2015 and will be going for 1-2 weeks in June. I've been there a few times. Haha.

I understand that there will be some culture shock and adjustment but I think I'm ready for it. Dortmund was the only center that really had any IT services in house.

As far as why IT always seems to be in demand; more and more things are depending on technology, as we all know. With that, like any job, people aren't always good at their jobs. Couple that with generally high turn over in the field and you have companies that are consistently looking to field positions. Now that the baby boom population is starting to retire, there are even more positions to fill.

In the IT realm, you generally only stay at a company for 3-5 years. After that, your skills can become stale.

IT weenie here. I do pretty well and that is because of what I actually do in IT. Folks tend to think we are all IT Help Desk people who just reset passwords and run Cat5 to a box and the server just works. I do Incident Response and Pen Testing on a Red Team. The amount of training I go through and the long days are worth it when you finally break something lol.

I'm a Programmer Analyst at a "small" company that was just purchased by 3M. Out IT was a team of less than 10. When something breaks, man it's all hands on deck. Sadly, this is when I have the most fun.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

In a field of IT as well. I implement/design WMS/TMS systems. Do a little bit of everything and am learning as I go at the ripe age of 25. I leave Tuesday for 2 months on a project oversea's that should be a great learning opportunity.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Congrats to you as well! We've got some fertile people here at HFWild!

giphy.gif

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
A few people I graduated high school with and went to college with have started having kids. And I'm over here like damn, sometimes I feel like I forget how to tie my shoes in the morning. I can't even fathom being entirely and solely responsible for the well being of a baby at this stage in my life. :laugh:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
A few people I graduated high school with and went to college with have started having kids. And I'm over here like damn, sometimes I feel like I forget how to tie my shoes in the morning. I can't even fathom being entirely and solely responsible for the well being of a baby at this stage in my life. :laugh:

Same.

But also, a bunch of kids I went to high school with did a lot of Heroin and are train wrecks. So that makes me feel a little responsible.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Ich spreche nur am bischen Deutsch. :)

Close enough :D

I visited Germany for 3 weeks in 2004, 2 weeks in 2005, 2 weeks in 2008, 2 weeks in 2012, 1 week in 2015 and will be going for 1-2 weeks in June. I've been there a few times. Haha.

I understand that there will be some culture shock and adjustment but I think I'm ready for it. Dortmund was the only center that really had any IT services in house.

Fair enough. I've a soft spot for the south myself, so I don't really like the weather and landscape in northern/western Germany. Also their speech is incomprehensible ;) Also that part of the country just kind of feels like city after city with gloom in between (not being exactly fair, but still).

But yeah, there will definitely be an "adjustment period", though after that it's not too bad. But there is a lot of paperwork with not-so-helpful people right at the beginning. You'll get lots of great benefits from the state--even as a resident alien--but you will have to make many, many trips to lots of different offices to get it all sorted out. Worth it, but like I said, not exactly "easy".

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Close enough :D

Fair enough. I've a soft spot for the south myself, so I don't really like the weather and landscape in northern/western Germany. Also their speech is incomprehensible ;) Also that part of the country just kind of feels like city after city with gloom in between (not being exactly fair, but still).

But yeah, there will definitely be an "adjustment period", though after that it's not too bad. But there is a lot of paperwork with not-so-helpful people right at the beginning. You'll get lots of great benefits from the state--even as a resident alien--but you will have to make many, many trips to lots of different offices to get it all sorted out. Worth it, but like I said, not exactly "easy".

Depends on the dialect, but that's pretty accurate. :-p

Good information. Thanks for the help. My friends are located around Kassel so the Dortmund office would be the closest to them.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Parks & Rec season 2, episode 21. Total laugh count during all episodes so far: 9 - and trending upwards.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Congrats on the baby Engebretson!

For me, after being out of work for 2 years, I just accepted a very nice job offer this morning, and start work next Monday. Very excited, and my new boss seems like a good dude.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Congrats on the baby Engebretson!

For me, after being out of work for 2 years, I just accepted a very nice job offer this morning, and start work next Monday. Very excited, and my new boss seems like a good dude.

Thanks, and congrats right back to you!

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ya know, some days, just piss you the eff off. Being told I am going to have to take a certain pay cut from my 2nd job is not how I want to start off this week. Me thinks it is time to start exploring full on independence in working a private practice. I am going to get good and liquored up tonight.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
ya know, some days, just piss you the eff off. Being told I am going to have to take a certain pay cut from my 2nd job is not how I want to start off this week. Me thinks it is time to start exploring full on independence in working a private practice. I am going to get good and liquored up tonight.

Yeesh. Sorry man. :(

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

Congrats, man! :yo: I just recently accepted a job after being on the hunt for like... I don't even know, 7 months? Only negative is it will only last like 2.5 months itself, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad