General OT Thread #29: Welcome To Pominville-Where Goals Come Better Than Girl Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
My weekend...

Friday night, I concussed a friend.
Saturday, built mortar tube arrays.
Sunday, had massive cramps in 8 major muscles in my right leg, couldn't stop on the crappy Richfield ice to save my life. We still won the game, though...

The last three AHA games have been on some really ****** ice. Wakota and now Richfield are nothing more than slushy sheets of crap.

Ah, well... Guess I am spoiled by the ice at Minnesota Made.

You must explain. :laugh:

How did no one else catch this?

Also the ice at Wakota is usually great on rink 2. I wonder what the problem is down there. I have quite a few buds that still work at the place. So once in a while after all the scheduled practices are over we get a crew down there with goalies and everything and they keep the place open after hours and we have a great time scrimmaging and having shootouts. Good stuff.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Dangit, I have a whole bunch of canadian quarters laying around. I could get drunk for free if I lived down there.

Interesting JJ Abrams Star Wars rumors...

[spoil]
Supposedly, the casting sheet lists the need for two 17 year olds, one male, one female, which look vaguely alike or can be made to look vaguely alike.

Twins.

Jacen and Jaina...
:laugh:
[/spoil]

Abrams would be skipping over A LOT of content by jumping straight into the Darth Caedus arc... /shrug

In related news, Carrie Fisher is starting a diet... lol

So, assuming he's staying with existing EU continuity, he's about to make a movie version of the 9 Legacy of the Force novels...that... could work I guess, if you really, really condense it down I suppose.

But from what I have heard, he's throwing existing EU continuity out the window. Also, 17 year olds would probably put them right around 23 years After the Battle of Yavin (ABY, which is the Star Wars equivalent to A.D.), which, if going on existing continuity, would [spoil] put it right before the Vong invasion. Some interesting stuff happened around there. The Corellian crisis happened a few years before that, and then not long after that the wreckage of the Outbound Flight was discovered in Chiss space, the Hand of Thrawn incident happened where the Imperial Remnant made peace with the New Republic, and so on. Also Anakin Solo would be alive. He had the 2nd most awesome death in the New Jedi Order series. The most awesome death, not just in the New Jedi Order, but in the entire Star Wars continuity, belongs to Ganner Rhysode, who singlehandedly killed hundreds, perhaps thousands of Vong soldiers while completely immersing himself in the force to give Jacen Solo time to screw up the Vongs attempt to terraform Coruscant. Coincidentially, Ganner was using Anakin Solo's lightSabre (which you cant type on this forum because buffalo whined about people spelling Sabre in an anglophone manner rather than the franophone manner. Why the hell cant we whine and get them to put in a filter converting "minny" to "Minnesota"? God dammit). Anakin's lightSabre would be used again in the final battle of the war by Luke Skywalker, when he dueled against Shimmra. Anakin Solo's lightSabre is the Star Wars version of Excaliber. It is THE legendary blade.[/spoil]

God dammit, I rambled and got off topic.

Didn't that happen before ESB came out?

Unless he was in another one.

Yeah. In fact Luke getting mauled early in ESB was put in there to so that Luke Skywalker would have a scar and they wouldnt have to keep covering up Hammil's.

I think a similar thing happened with Hayden Christensen and they covered Anakin Skywalker getting a scar in the Star Wars - Clone Wars (the one by Genndy Tartakovsky) mini series that came out and served as a prequel to episode 3. Not sure tho, and I do not care enough about the prequels at this point to look it up. All I know is that cartoon kicked 10 times the ass that Episode 3 actually did.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Yeah. In fact Luke getting mauled early in ESB was put in there to so that Luke Skywalker would have a scar and they wouldnt have to keep covering up Hammil's.

I think a similar thing happened with Hayden Christensen and they covered Anakin Skywalker getting a scar in the Star Wars - Clone Wars (the one by Genndy Tartakovsky) mini series that came out and served as a prequel to episode 3. Not sure tho, and I do not care enough about the prequels at this point to look it up. All I know is that cartoon kicked 10 times the ass that Episode 3 actually did.

Yeah I knew about the makeup/attack scene to cover it up better.

And no, Hayden didn't have any type of actual scar AFAIK. George Lucas went to set one time before filming and said that Hayden didn't look old or sinister enough to possibly go to the dark side. So he said "Make a cool scar!" and there it went.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
So just got home about an hour ago from Minnesota. Had a great time visiting family and meeting Wild players at the summer bash. I got tons of signatures and had a conversation with Zucker, family picture with Harding/Stoner as well. At MSP I spotted Mike Babcock on the phone, wonder what that's about.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yeah I knew about the makeup/attack scene to cover it up better.

And no, Hayden didn't have any type of actual scar AFAIK. George Lucas went to set one time before filming and said that Hayden didn't look old or sinister enough to possibly go to the dark side. So he said "Make a cool scar!" and there it went.

Oh, well that makes sense, in as much as Lucas does things that make absolutely no sense.

Billy Mays Here*

Also the ice at Wakota is usually great on rink 2. I wonder what the problem is down there. I have quite a few buds that still work at the place. So once in a while after all the scheduled practices are over we get a crew down there with goalies and everything and they keep the place open after hours and we have a great time scrimmaging and having shootouts. Good stuff.

I practiced at Wakota quite a few times over the years when I played hockey, usually because Bielenberg was already filled up. Is rink 2 the smaller one on the left or the larger one with all the stands? Can't remember, it's been quite a while. I enjoyed playing in the bigger one but disliked the smaller one because the paint was always so light or used up I had a hard time keeping my positioning in the crease since I could hardly see where it was.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I practiced at Wakota quite a few times over the years when I played hockey, usually because Bielenberg was already filled up. Is rink 2 the smaller one on the left or the larger one with all the stands? Can't remember, it's been quite a while. I enjoyed playing in the bigger one but disliked the smaller one because the paint was always so light or used up I had a hard time keeping my positioning in the crease since I could hardly see where it was.

Yup rink 2 is the small one on the left when you come in the main doors. They usually take the ice out of the large rink pretty early in the summer. I just love the smell of rink two. Some of you guys probably know what I mean. A good hockey rink smell haha.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Oh, well that makes sense, in as much as Lucas does things that make absolutely no sense.

George Lucas sucks. So glad he's only listed as a "creative consultant" for the next movie. Hopefully he just sits in a corner playing with his Jar Jar and Watto action figures and lets Abrams do his thing.

Also, I think we're close to passing the Panthers board for post count.

Also also, new OT thread name soon?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wakota and Aldrich are two of the biggest PITA rinks to get to that the AHA books. Decent rinks.

I played pickup last week at Parade, holy lord I forgot how terrible that place is. Not just the old crappy boards, but the ice along the boards hadn't been scraped in a long time, big ruts and bumpy ice all the way around. Terrible facility.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Wakota, and all of South St. Paul for that matter, is a dump. Terrible barn, especially years back on the main sheet. Some of worst lighting you've ever seen.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I think those of us that were around for the prequels, and weren't able to watch the original star wars FIRST and remember a lot of it found Jar Jar to be like the ewoks. I did have the star wars originals on vhs and watched them as a kid, but I wasn't old enough to really remember everything. But they were like the ewoks in the sense that they seemed to be innocent and while individually had no chance to fight, put their entire race in there and they were able to accomplish something. Thats just my take.

tldr; Young kids liked Jar Jar

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I saw the Star Wars films around '90 or so as a kid. LOVED them. Prequels aren't Star Wars IMO. Just...not the same type of movie. Star Wars trilogy were adventure movies focused on a small cast of characters. The prequels were like a bad war drama made for kids with lasers.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I can't disagree with you there. But as a kid watching the movie, Jar Jar was the only entertaining part. I absolutely hated the Clone Wars just for having to sit through the awkward Padme and Anakin scenes. And they seemed to drone on and on.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I can't disagree with you there. But as a kid watching the movie, Jar Jar was the only entertaining part. I absolutely hated the Clone Wars just for having to sit through the awkward Padme and Anakin scenes. And they seemed to drone on and on.

painful to watch. not sure who that was supposed to appeal to.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
No doubt. I love the originals. And I think Disney is going to **** it up even further. But I've only read about 15-20 Star Wars books, and was able to understand the Twins talk, but Avder is about 12 levels higher than me in the Star Wars Universe. I just hope they come out with a couple good movies, and for gosh sake, a good video game.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
No doubt. I love the originals. And I think Disney is going to **** it up even further. But I've only read about 15-20 Star Wars books, and was able to understand the Twins talk, but Avder is about 12 levels higher than me in the Star Wars Universe. I just hope they come out with a couple good movies, and for gosh sake, a good video game.

NEW DICE BATTLEFRONT

Gon be so gud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad