General OT Thread #29: Welcome To Pominville-Where Goals Come Better Than Girl Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Wakota, and all of South St. Paul for that matter, is a dump. Terrible barn, especially years back on the main sheet. Some of worst lighting you've ever seen.

Hey now, the lighting is great now a days. Sure it was pretty yellow in there for a while, but the main sheet has a great atmosphere is the perfect place to watch a game with all the stands and high ceilings. Don't be mad Simley has absolutely zero hockey tradition, and no player has ever come out of there and done anything.

I do agree that most of South St. Paul isn't that nice, but that is because all the houses are old as just about the entire city has been settled for years with little room for new housing to be built unlike larger more suburban cities.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I was too young. Please elaborate, this sounds ridiculous.

Tons and tons of commercials with both Taco Bell and Star Wars together.

They sold promotional cups with character faces and stuff on them. Kids toys and memorabilia galore.

It was everywhere.

And Jarick, isn't it Jare-ick? Like rhymes with bear and then ick as in trick?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Hey now, the lighting is great now a days. Sure it was pretty yellow in there for a while, but the main sheet has a great atmosphere is the perfect place to watch a game with all the stands and high ceilings. Don't be mad Simley has absolutely zero hockey tradition, and no player has ever come out of there and done anything.

I do agree that most of South St. Paul isn't that nice, but that is because all the houses are old as just about the entire city has been settled for years with little room for new housing to be built unlike larger more suburban cities.

Wha? :huh:

Start saying Jared, then turn it into Derrick. Answered it for you Jarick. :laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think those of us that were around for the prequels, and weren't able to watch the original star wars FIRST and remember a lot of it found Jar Jar to be like the ewoks. I did have the star wars originals on vhs and watched them as a kid, but I wasn't old enough to really remember everything. But they were like the ewoks in the sense that they seemed to be innocent and while individually had no chance to fight, put their entire race in there and they were able to accomplish something. Thats just my take.

tldr; Young kids liked Jar Jar

Except the Ewoks, while childish and stupid, were not led by a bumbling idiot who has no business walking around in the company of jedi, let alone leading a god damned army.

At least with the Ewoks it was sort of implied that as a tribal society they would have some experience with warfare of some sort, and their intimate knowlege of the forest could potentially allow them to gain an advantage of the imperial troops who are too stupid to bother learning how to handle themselves in battles in wooded areas. Sure it's a pretty big stretch of logic, but at least it has some basis in reality.

Anyone with half a brain would have found a way to ditch Jar Jar in some place where he would be both safe and unable to jeopardize the affairs of others. No one with any sense whatsoever would be willing to take him on a walk into Mos Espa when the group is trying to be incognito and Jar Jar happens to stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me worked up here, cause I will tear everything regarding Jar Jar to shreds if I have to. He is a garbage character and a perfect example of how Lucas doesn't know how to make a movie by himself. He needs people around him who are going to challenge him. That's why the originals are good. The people he was working with were challenging him, while with the prequels he was surrounded by nothing but yes men.

I played the crap out of the first 2 on the PS2. Those were amazing. I just hope they can continue the game's greatness.

Bad news: Star Wars games are going to be made by Electronic Arts.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

I always turn your J into swedish. sounds cooler.

Yea. I can't disagree when it comes to Jar Jar. which is why I said kids and tried not to include myself. I felt incredibly indifferent after seeing those movies and just could not bring myself to put them in the same category as the originals.

As far as EA having a part in it. I wish I could say I don't care. But that sucks. I really do like Medal of Honor games above Call of Duty, but there is just so much more that can be done, that they fail to do, or even want to do. EA has terrible service and need to be turned upside down. Right now, I'm just hoping they up to date battle front 2's graphics and play the same game, because I know they won't come up with something original. I was going to put up a no no no no no gif, but imgur is over capacity.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I always turn your J into swedish. sounds cooler.

Yea. I can't disagree when it comes to Jar Jar. which is why I said kids and tried not to include myself. I felt incredibly indifferent after seeing those movies and just could not bring myself to put them in the same category as the originals.

As far as EA having a part in it. I wish I could say I don't care. But that sucks. I really do like Medal of Honor games above Call of Duty, but there is just so much more that can be done, that they fail to do, or even want to do. EA has terrible service and need to be turned upside down. Right now, I'm just hoping they up to date battle front 2's graphics and play the same game, because I know they won't come up with something original. I was going to put up a no no no no no gif, but imgur is over capacity.

They'll probably come up with some game that (keep in mind I have no idea what the Battlefront series genre or playstyle is, so take this as generically as needed) will give you X-Wings, Tie Fighters, Tie Intercepters, Mon-Cal Cruisers, and Imperial class Star Destroyers, but if you want Y-Wings, A-Wings, TIE-Advanced, Imperial II Class Star Destroyers, Victory Class Star Destroyers, Interdictor Star Destroyers, The Millenium Falcon, or a Super Star Destroyer, you'll have to pay $1.99 each for the DLC. And another $3.99 for the proper ending, and if you really want to pay, you can pay $14.99 for a Death Star I, or $19.99 for a fully constructed and mobile Death Star II.

The sad part is I'm probably not exaggerating very much at all here.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Grind. Polish. Paint. Polish. Grind some more. Paint. Repeat.

I've spent this week pretty much fixing my car and playing NHL 13. The plan is to take it for an MOT (vehicle inspection) in Friday, if I can get some cash before that :laugh:

It had two pretty sizable holes near the right rear door, and one in the left side near the front door. I filled those with metal filler, grinded them somewhat smooth, applied some rust-proof coating and painted the finished product white. It doesn't look that pretty, as I don't really have time to properly smooth the surface, but it'll do. If I have time after the military service I'll grind out the paint and do it properly.

Also had to buy a new battery, as the old one had gone dead and wouldn't charge and replaced the ignition wires as well as the spark plugs. I didn't really like the old air filter, as it was the stock model and therefore not really efficient, so I replaced that with an aftermarket sports air filter too. I replaced the springs, as the old ones were nearly done, and went with new shocks as well on the front. I also have new rear springs&shocks ready for the rear, but I won't change them yet unless there's a problem with them in the inspection as they seem to be fine.

The next things on the list of repairs are the exhaust manifold as well as the exhaust pipe itself. Thankfully, it's an -83 so there's no pollution criteria to meet, otherwise I'd have to do the repairs before going to the inspection.

The car still has some odd scratches and dents here and there, but it looks much better than it was a week ago and it's not meant for car shows anyway. I'm still thinking of painting the roof matte black. Would look really nice, but then again, I don't really have time for that either.

Next up is turning the suspension a little so I can fit it properly to the top mount. It wouldn't otherwise matter that much, but I need to fix the sway bar to the top mounts on both sides so I need them to be exactly and not almost right. I also have to install the muffler. Oh, and properly tighten the steering wheel, it's a bit loose. :laugh:

All in all, not that much to do. I wish the weather stays as it is, I already lost one day due to rain.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, we got any good ideas for names for OT Thread #30?

General OT Thread #30: Dwayne Roloson doesn't have time for your crap

I dunno, I'm tired

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Tons and tons of commercials with both Taco Bell and Star Wars together.

They sold promotional cups with character faces and stuff on them. Kids toys and memorabilia galore.

It was everywhere.

Glad it wasn't just my memory on that one! I have no idea if it was abnormal, but it just seemed like every commercial break on every program was Taco Bell and Star Wars.

And yeah, it's Eric with a "J" in front of it. I think my mom liked Eric and Jared and put the two together?

All I know is I've always hated and/or disliked the name, so I vowed to give my kids normal names.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think it was a collaboration of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC with the Star Wars toys. I remember getting a Darth Maul collector cup at a Pizza Hut one time which probably ended up in the garbage days later.

I actually had a 9th grade Science teacher that was OBSESSED with Star Wars. He was crazy to the point that he bought all of the new action figures that came out for The Phantom Menace and actually gave us extra credit for bringing in ticket stubs for going to Episode I. The hype for that movie was unbelievable.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Except the Ewoks, while childish and stupid, were not led by a bumbling idiot who has no business walking around in the company of jedi, let alone leading a god damned army.

At least with the Ewoks it was sort of implied that as a tribal society they would have some experience with warfare of some sort, and their intimate knowlege of the forest could potentially allow them to gain an advantage of the imperial troops who are too stupid to bother learning how to handle themselves in battles in wooded areas. Sure it's a pretty big stretch of logic, but at least it has some basis in reality.

Anyone with half a brain would have found a way to ditch Jar Jar in some place where he would be both safe and unable to jeopardize the affairs of others. No one with any sense whatsoever would be willing to take him on a walk into Mos Espa when the group is trying to be incognito and Jar Jar happens to stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me worked up here, cause I will tear everything regarding Jar Jar to shreds if I have to. He is a garbage character and a perfect example of how Lucas doesn't know how to make a movie by himself. He needs people around him who are going to challenge him. That's why the originals are good. The people he was working with were challenging him, while with the prequels he was surrounded by nothing but yes men.

EA has actually cleaned their company up and improved. They are publishing the game, not creating it. DICE is the developer of the game as well as the game engine, and it was actually them that wanted to bring back Battlefront. EA is pretty much just publishing it for them and has certain rights. I am excited for the new series. Also, the new Battlefront game will have the Frostbite 3 graphics engine, the same graphics engine that is used on Battlefield 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad