Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What kind did you get?

You'll get tons of ribs, pulled pork, brisket and others but I'll dig up my herb crusted smoked prime rib, it's ridiculous.

Appreciate it! I got a Masterbuilt Pro. It's dual fuel smoker so I can use propane most of the time and experiment with charcoal when I figure this thing out a little better.

Have already made chicken wings, chicken breasts, bratwursts, and chorizo. The chicken wings and brats have been my favorites, but I'm slow cooking some ribs today so we'll likely have a new champion after dinner tonight.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Stay safe, protest if you can. Gear up: masks both for COVID and to hide your identity, gas masks if you somehow have them, tons of water because protesting is exhausting, high calorie snacks like peanut butter, sunscreen, sunglasses, good shoes, a first aid kit. AND STAY IN LARGE GROUPS. Also, write down the phone numbers of lawyers that you might know on your body. If you don’t know any, ask someone at the protest for one they recommend. Wear non-descript clothes so you are harder to identify.

Edit: also DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES. Tear gas or pepper spray/mace + contacts spell disaster. Much better to just bring glasses and a pair of goggles if you have them. Bring a pair of heat resistant gloves so you can throw back tear gas canisters. Those things are extremely hot and will burn your hands.

Listen to the leaders of the protests. THey have more experience than you do and also they are the ones setting the tone. If they don’t want property destruction, don’t do it.

If you can’t go to a protest please consider donating money to bail groups (Minnesota Freedom Fund is a good one but there are others).

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not a lot of responsible social distancing taking place during these protests. 2nd wave of the 'rona will be upon us sooner than predicted.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Herb Crusted Smoked Prime Rib Recipe:

Step 1, get a good Prime Rib roast from wherever you get your meats - Costco, the butcher, the guy in the van on the side of the highway. No need to get bone in, boneless cooks up great, but if the roast has bones, the guys at the meat counter will cut the bones off and tie them back on for you if you ask.

For the crust: Get fresh herbs instead of canned/powered as much as possible: A full sprig of Fresh Rosemary, Time and Sage. Cut them up into tiny bits and put them in a big bowl, a little food chopper helps if you have one. Add about half to 3/4 of a cup of EV Olive Oil, enough to completely drown the herbs. Throw in a couple tablespoons of chunky salt like Maldon Flakes and crushed black pepper corns, then about a tablespoon each of garlic powder and onion powder. Mix it all up, it will be an oily goopy thick green mess. Add more Olive Oil if you think its too dry/thick. Rub it all over the prime rib, all sides but lots of it on top. You'll cook the roast bone side down. Let the roast sit with the crust in the fridge for a few hours before you cook it. A lot of the oil will drip off, that's ok. The roast should be mostly covered in green, especially on top of the fat cap.

For the smoker, you'll want to set it to cook at higher heat than low/slow style, like 350. As with all things BBQ, the cook time will depend on the size of the roast and the temp, but no piece of meat is more dependent on a good meat thermometer than prime rib is. Put the roast on the hot smoker and add smoke to your desired amount - I like a lot because it will only infuse the outside and the inner meat will not register much smoke flavor. You can cook Prime Rib low and slow and you may get a more evenly medium rare final product, but you won't get the herb crusty outer edge like this recipe does.

Its done when its done: Take it off the smoker when the meat thermometer reads 120-125 in the middle of the meat, it will DEFINITELY keep cooking and raise up another 5-15 degrees after you remove it. If you take it off when the thermometer reads medium rare (130-135) it will keep cooking and go way past that to medium well or worse. Don't ruin it by overcooking. I would say take it off at 120 and cover with foil, or take it off at 125 and don't foil it, you should end up right at a perfect 130-135 medium rare. Make sure your meat thermometer is accurate or you won't get good results. When you take it off the herb crust will be mostly blackened, no longer much green. Let it rest to soak keep the juices in the meat and carve right before serving.

Let it rest in a pan that will collect the juices that do drip out, you could go find an Au Jus recipe you like, but you won't need it, I don't bother. The roast should be juicy and crispy and the juices that drain into the pan can just be poured back over it when you slice it and serve it.

Good luck, show pics when you make it.

/Dave

Attachments

• 2011-11-26 19.28.23.jpg
    2011-11-26 19.28.23.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011-11-26 19.39.25.jpg
    2011-11-26 19.39.25.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Stay safe, protest if you can. Gear up: masks both for COVID and to hide your identity, gas masks if you somehow have them, tons of water because protesting is exhausting, high calorie snacks like peanut butter, sunscreen, sunglasses, good shoes, a first aid kit. AND STAY IN LARGE GROUPS. Also, write down the phone numbers of lawyers that you might know on your body. If you don’t know any, ask someone at the protest for one they recommend. Wear non-descript clothes so you are harder to identify.

Edit: also DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES. Tear gas or pepper spray/mace + contacts spell disaster. Much better to just bring glasses and a pair of goggles if you have them. Bring a pair of heat resistant gloves so you can throw back tear gas canisters. Those things are extremely hot and will burn your hands.

Listen to the leaders of the protests. THey have more experience than you do and also they are the ones setting the tone. If they don’t want property destruction, don’t do it.

If you can’t go to a protest please consider donating money to bail groups (Minnesota Freedom Fund is a good one but there are others).

I knew getting prescription apocalypse googles would pay off somehow! J/k.

Closest I've been to anything like that was a couple of years of the WTO Seattle stuff was when it came to DC but the police and other federal authorities had everything pretty button down but still was around some property destruction just briefly passing through. There does get this weird mob energy thing taht is something pretty unique.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I've been to protests but was only ever gassed during this SB "riot" in Denver. Maybe I'm in this clip, who knows.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Should have known Twabby was a card carrying anarchist in disguise. ;)

some insane times....the whole church photo op thing yesterday was disgusting.

On the flip side, the destruction of property and violence undermines the effectiveness of the message delivered by protesting IMO.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We were talking about these protests this morning at home. Father in law says "the rioters are distracting from the message of the protesters, you can't tell who is who" to which I replied: "Sure you can, the peaceful protesters go home at curfew, the rioters don't".

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
“Gassed” is being used a lot lately instead of just tear gas. Interesting.

why is that interesting? it's gas.

is this a thing now? complaining about "gas" instead of the longer "tear gassed"?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Should have known Twabby was a card carrying anarchist in disguise. ;)

some insane times....the whole church photo op thing yesterday was disgusting.

On the flip side, the destruction of property and violence undermines the effectiveness of the message delivered by protesting IMO.

I think you have a couple of different groups at these protests. The large majority are the protestors who abide by curfews and are there to demonstrate peacefully and vocally, as is their Constitutional right. Then you have three groups that f*** everything up: (1) Antifa or other far-left groups, whose mantras largely include destruction of property, arson, and anarchy, (2) Alt-right groups who disguise themselves as protestors but do a lot of the destruction and looting to delegitimize the protestors and portray the protestors as violent anarchists, and (3) random people from the neighborhood who love themselves an opportunity to loot a store or throw a rock at police.

I think it's unfair to say that the destruction of property and the violence undermines the message because I think those doing the destruction aren't interested in or completely disagree with the message that's being delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad