OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 2 - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Been some brutal takes for The Rise Of Skywalker. Glad I stopped caring about the movies after The Force Awakens. Still haven't seen ep 8 or the Solo movie and I don't really care to at this point.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Been some brutal takes for The Rise Of Skywalker. Glad I stopped caring about the movies after The Force Awakens. Still haven't seen ep 8 or the Solo movie and I don't really care to at this point.

that’s a shame....

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I was just seeing pretty positive stuff in my feed so curious what non-spoilerish complaints are.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, original SW is a tale for kids with cool gfx. Kind of understandable everyone gets to the point he doesnt care anymore.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Rotten Tomatoes has it as barely fresh at 60 at the moment so...

If it is another mediocre movie and does below expectations at the BO, then Kathleen Kennedy MUST go. She has made mistake after mistake since taking over:

1. Hired Colin Trevorrow for ROS after his lackluster Jurrassic World
2. Fired Lord and Miller during the MIDDLE of Solo
3. Hired Ron Howard in their stead for Solo; Solo ends up bombing at the Box Office.
4. Hired JJ Abrams, AGAIN, to direct ROS, this after his creative energies were exhausted by TFA

The problem with this franchise is that it needs to be run by a super-fan. This is why Marvel, run by super-fan Kevin Feige, does so well. This is why Star Wars animated TV, run by super-fan Dave Filoni, is a quality product. If you just have an empty suit running the franchise, why should it be a surprised if you get mediocrity?

Anyway, what do I care. Star Wars went from THE franchise of my youth in the 80s to just another "also-ran" franchise now, along with Fast and the Furious, Transformers, Avatar, and all the other nonsense out there. Time to let it go.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If it is another mediocre movie and does below expectations at the BO, then Kathleen Kennedy MUST go. She has made mistake after mistake since taking over:

3. Hired Ron Howard in their stead for Solo; Solo ends up bombing at the Box Office.
4. Hired JJ Abrams, AGAIN, to direct ROS, this after his creative energies were exhausted by TFA

The problem with this franchise is that it needs to be run by a super-fan. This is why Marvel, run by super-fan Kevin Feige, does so well. This is why Star Wars animated TV, run by super-fan Dave Filoni, is a quality product. If you just have an empty suit running the franchise, why should it be a surprised if you get mediocrity?

Anyway, what do I care. Star Wars went from THE franchise of my youth in the 80s to just another "also-ran" franchise now, along with Fast and the Furious, Transformers, Avatar, and all the other nonsense out there. Time to let it go.
I was gonna say, just let Filoni/Favreau take over. Favreau would put the studio execs at ease with his success in the MCU, and Filoni would maintain the quality of the universe.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Not for nothing but the Fast and Furious franchise is doing just fine.

Fast and the Furious Franchise Box Office History - The Numbers

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We have it already in Russian I think. Nice start for my evening.

PS: right, let Filoni set this thing on fire! Rebels were very entertaining and nice.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wait, people are NOW talking about "ruining the franchise"? After Jar Jar?

SW was incredible when it came out. A true phenomenon for ALL ages. And Empire was as good if not better in some ways.

Jedi was OK but the entire product jumped the shark at the sight of the first Ewok.

Expectations have been low since, so I'm rarely very disappointed.

Just got Disney+ so will have to check out Mandalorian. No spoilers, plz.

Reactions: Sam Spade

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
We really need a new thread: will Kathleen Kennedy get fired after Rise of Skywalker?

The movie is getting trashed left right and center. Gamespot just gave it a 4 out of 10! Opening weekend should be huge,
but after that, the film could be in a trouble. And given the pathetic performance of Solo and now (anticipated) ROS, Bob Iger
and the Disney brass are going to start pointing fingers. Kennedy's head should be the first to roll.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
We really need a new thread: will Kathleen Kennedy get fired after Rise of Skywalker?

The movie is getting trashed left right and center. Gamespot just gave it a 4 out of 10! Opening weekend should be huge,
but after that, the film could be in a trouble. And given the pathetic performance of Solo and now (anticipated) ROS, Bob Iger
and the Disney brass are going to start pointing fingers. Kennedy's head should be the first to roll.
I actually quite liked Solo. But other than that, yeah... oof. Seeing ROS tonight, expectations are pretty low.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I actually quite liked Solo. But other than that, yeah... oof. Seeing ROS tonight, expectations are pretty low.

I’m with you on Solo. I went into it totally unenthusiastic and expecting to be disappointed but I enjoyed it. Holds up on rewatch.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Have never seen a single Star Wars except the first half of Phantom Menace which I thought was so bad it's only the second movie I walked out of before it was over. Maybe now that I have Disney+ I'll give them a whirl.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Have never seen a single Star Wars except the first half of Phantom Menace which I thought was so bad it's only the second movie I walked out of before it was over. Maybe now that I have Disney+ I'll give them a whirl.

wow. It’s truly too late for you. You’ll never get the children’s nostalgia value.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
wow. It’s truly too late for you. You’ll never get the children’s nostalgia value.

True. But as I mentioned above it was a huge phenomenon beyond just appealing to kids, though. Star Wars was epic at the time. It was everywhere because it was a special film for the era. If watching for the first time today it might not have the same effect due to context, like watching the first Planet of the Apes now and wondering what's the big deal.

Lucas saw the effects becoming outdated and tried to make changes but people who remember the original want the original.

And it was everywhere...

Reactions: zappa4ever

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I attempted to watch the first 6 star wars movies in numerical order once. It didn't work out.

As for the current trilogy, meh so far and from what I read I'll wait for this last movie to be available on streaming devices. Rogue One was very good, IMO. And Solo was ok. I'd like to see more of the Star Wars stories, specifically one on Chewbacca, and the Mandalorian has been good so far.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ironically, the SOP for a viewing of the Skywalker saga is now to skip Episode I altogether.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Episode I is an exercise in patience because it still has the best lightsaber battle in the entire series IMO. You just have to get through the first 2 hours of the movie which is not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad