OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 2 - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Anyone here in Fairfax County have kids? Just got some intel from a teacher friend that Monday's unscheduled teacher work day is intended for the teachers to put together work packets for an upcoming 2-3 week closure. I'd fully expect no school through spring break.

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Anyone here in Fairfax County have kids? Just got some intel from a teacher friend that Monday's unscheduled teacher work day is intended for the teachers to put together work packets for an upcoming 2-3 week closure. I'd fully expect no school through spring break.

Heard the same. I'm in Old Town and both my wife and I work and if daycare shuts down (they follow Alexandria public school guidelines) we are going to be in a pickle.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Counties are preparing to teach remotely.....of course they are not prepared and are scrambling.

Great DR test....

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Counties are preparing to teach remotely.....of course they are not prepared and are scrambling.

Great DR test....
Whats DR?

Our school is operating as usual + starting to monitor temp in the morning.

Our business was hit harder though. But I expect it to get back in shape soon enough. Delayed demand should help some.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

We were told it was for distance learning training. The application of that could be many things but I certainly hope it includes some type of virtual classroom experience and not just a few weeks of ‘work packets.’

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hog, I'm going to need you to increase your productivity in this thread. With real NHL stuff on pause, my entertainment on here will consist pretty much exclusively just refreshing this page.. that is until the Coronans come for me.

I will do my best.

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My sons travel team tryout went on yesterday as planned and while I may be wrong to feel this way I am really glad because it will probably be the last time he is on the ice for a while. :(

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My sons travel team tryout went on yesterday as planned and while I may be wrong to feel this way I am really glad because it will probably be the last time he is on the ice for a while. :(
You are wrong to feel that way. I'm appalled the league organizers felt enough disregard for science and social responsibility that they didn't postpone it. It's sport. It wholly unimportant right now.

The governor didn't issue an executive order banning gatherings of 50+ people yesterday just because he felt like it. He did it because people have been recklessly ignoring best practices and putting entire communities at risk.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You are wrong to feel that way. I'm appalled the league organizers felt enough disregard for science and social responsibility that they didn't postpone it. It's sport. It wholly unimportant right now.

The governor didn't issue an executive order banning gatherings of 50+ people yesterday just because he felt like it. He did it because people have been recklessly ignoring best practices and putting entire communities at risk.

He's not wrong for appreciating a last sense of normalcy. You can be appalled by the league organizers and also understand why people are clinging to the last few things that make life feel a bit normal without passing judgment, I think.

Reactions: Ajax1995

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He's not wrong for appreciating a last sense of normalcy. You can be appalled by the league organizers and also understand why people are clinging to the last few things that make life feel a bit normal without passing judgment, I think.
If this was last week? Sure, maybe. Disagree now. Schools are closed for the very reason that larger groups in confined spaces are a BAD idea. They're a danger to public safety, and could, literally, result in someone dying.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If this was last week? Sure, maybe. Disagree now. Schools are closed for the very reason that larger groups in confined spaces are a BAD idea. They're a danger to public safety, and could, literally, result in someone dying.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't think it's necessary to tell someone who is struggling to cope with the situation that they're wrong for finding a bit of happiness in something. I fully support quarantining and think the people still going to bars and restaurants and beaches are assholes but I guess I have a softer spot for kids activities.

Also, our daycare is still open, which is very surprising to me.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

You are 100% correct.

And so are you.

Nothing will be normal again for a while and it sucks and it is really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad