Providence Bruins General Discussion VI - Providence AHL affilation with B's extended until 2029

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Or a Website that's not running on Windows 98
This right here kills me.

Cause it's so easy to resolve and isn't that costly if you do it right.

Even the league site is outdated.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
WBS announcer is pretty good plus they'll be more than one camera so we have that going for us tonight

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I will admit the WBS main announcer is not a total homer, but if he has Scott Succio with him (former Hershey guy) ugh.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Did providence ever have announcers?

Up until about three years ago, the P-Bruins were doing home games, and then the announcers were let go right before the playoffs started.

Providence is the only team in the affiliated leagues (AHL/ECHL) that has *no* local broadcast home or away. I broadcast only home games (in the ECHL) and there are a couple that do all home games + a limited road schedule, but most have a full-time broadcaster who travels home/away. Several teams in both leagues don't have a local radio partner, but stream their audio over the internet in lieu of a radio station (which can be done *very* cheaply).

Given the passion of the Boston Bruins' fanbase and the interest in prospects - as well as the size of the Providence fanbase, it would be good to have a local broadcast of at least home games, which can be done pretty inexpensively.

Reactions: KiwiBruin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Up until about three years ago, the P-Bruins were doing home games, and then the announcers were let go right before the playoffs started.

Providence is the only team in the affiliated leagues (AHL/ECHL) that has *no* local broadcast home or away. I broadcast only home games (in the ECHL) and there are a couple that do all home games + a limited road schedule, but most have a full-time broadcaster who travels home/away. Several teams in both leagues don't have a local radio partner, but stream their audio over the internet in lieu of a radio station (which can be done *very* cheaply).

Given the passion of the Boston Bruins' fanbase and the interest in prospects - as well as the size of the Providence fanbase, it would be good to have a local broadcast of at least home games, which can be done pretty inexpensively.

Is this simply a financial thing for the PB`s to not have announcers ?

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Is this simply a financial thing for the PB`s to not have announcers ?

If my memory serves me correctly, that was the stated reason.

A local broadcast doesn't cost a lot of money - you can purchase the gear necessary for less than $600 and an audio Internet stream for about $100-150/year (plus the cost to hire a broadcaster - most of us in the minors work solo. To do home games only, the cost of hiring one extra game-night staffer is pretty minimal, but it is a cost).

However, a minor-league broadcast doesn't generate a lot of ad revenue and likely isn't a big moneymaker. I believe the AHL requires a feed with PXP for the AHL.tv service, but as long as the visiting team sends a broadcaster, that requirement is fulfilled. Every other team in the East has broadcasters who work home/away (A couple of the West Coast teams might have ones who do limited travel, but I'm not 100% certain, but those teams almost never play outside of their division).

I believe the P-Bruins let their announcers go near the end of the 2016 season, so this is their third year without a locally-produced broadcast. Their last PXP had a similar path as yours truly, working up from being an off-ice official to helping with media to the PXP booth.

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
IN FACT, Boston was likely the worst affiliate Portland ever had, I'm waiting for the 20 year PDC for the ECHL Affiliate this organization selects after Atlanta, why not just buy Providence outright, 14 others do that anyway
Manchester needs the echl bruins affiliation to survive Portland and Worcester are fine with well run teams with other affiliates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad