Providence Bruins General Discussion VI - Providence AHL affilation with B's extended until 2029

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Manchester needs the echl bruins affiliation to survive Portland and Worcester are fine with well run teams with other affiliates

I'd love to see that. A Bruins affiliation doesn't just include players (although most ECHL teams have 4-8 AHL/NHL-contracted players), but also provides a lot of opportunities for marketing and co-branding, which can really help the minor pro team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If my memory serves me correctly, that was the stated reason.

A local broadcast doesn't cost a lot of money - you can purchase the gear necessary for less than $600 and an audio Internet stream for about $100-150/year (plus the cost to hire a broadcaster - most of us in the minors work solo. To do home games only, the cost of hiring one extra game-night staffer is pretty minimal, but it is a cost).

However, a minor-league broadcast doesn't generate a lot of ad revenue and likely isn't a big moneymaker. I believe the AHL requires a feed with PXP for the AHL.tv service, but as long as the visiting team sends a broadcaster, that requirement is fulfilled. Every other team in the East has broadcasters who work home/away (A couple of the West Coast teams might have ones who do limited travel, but I'm not 100% certain, but those teams almost never play outside of their division).

I believe the P-Bruins let their announcers go near the end of the 2016 season, so this is their third year without a locally-produced broadcast. Their last PXP had a similar path as yours truly, working up from being an off-ice official to helping with media to the PXP booth.
thanks for the info, appreciate it

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I'd love to see that. A Bruins affiliation doesn't just include players (although most ECHL teams have 4-8 AHL/NHL-contracted players), but also provides a lot of opportunities for marketing and co-branding, which can really help the minor pro team.
Unless the bruins announces a affiliation with Manchester for next season the team is finished.I personally think the bruins affiliating with the railers would be great but Manchester needs Boston badly.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Is this simply a financial thing for the PB`s to not have announcers ?

The owner is nuts. That's probably as good a reason as any.

Seriously, I'd love someone with any affiliation with the team, if they are reading this, to post and tell us how embarrassing it is that hockey hotbeds like Ontario, California see fit to employ not only a PXB and color man, but reporters at ice level, and you can't afford a cheap internet stream and one guy with a microphone.

I'm blocked from the PBruins twitter feed for asking these tough questions, by the way.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Seriously, I'd love someone with any affiliation with the team, if they are reading this, to post and tell us how embarrassing it is that hockey hotbeds like Ontario, California see fit to employ not only a PXB and color man, but reporters at ice level, and you can't afford a cheap internet stream and one guy with a microphone.

I'm blocked from the PBruins twitter feed for asking these tough questions, by the way.
Papa Jacobs does not seem to care about how the franchise is run as long as he concessions at the dunk

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

It's possible that Ontario has a TV station producing its games (thus, having a full crew)? There are a few AHL and ECHL teams - especially in mid-sized markets - where that happens. They're also owned by the Kings, who might be using them to help develop talent.

Also, I'm not quite sure a lot of people in front offices realize how inexpensive an internet stream and broadcasting actually is - and some tend to think "no radio = no broadcast," while some NHL teams have gone online-only with their "radio" broadcasts (the Kings being one). Broadcasting simply isn't a priority in a lot of minor league team offices, where the primary focus is on ticket and ad sales.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Unless the bruins announces a affiliation with Manchester for next season the team is finished.I personally think the bruins affiliating with the railers would be great but Manchester needs Boston badly.
Worcester has an multi year agreement in Bridgeport, Centrum, so that's unlikely to change, the other issue is LA has the right to remain if that's what the ownership decrees, or Boston renews in Atlanta

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

That's garbage.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's possible that Ontario has a TV station producing its games (thus, having a full crew)? There are a few AHL and ECHL teams - especially in mid-sized markets - where that happens. They're also owned by the Kings, who might be using them to help develop talent.

Also, I'm not quite sure a lot of people in front offices realize how inexpensive an internet stream and broadcasting actually is - and some tend to think "no radio = no broadcast," while some NHL teams have gone online-only with their "radio" broadcasts (the Kings being one). Broadcasting simply isn't a priority in a lot of minor league team offices, where the primary focus is on ticket and ad sales.

Providence casts were internet only for several years. They know what it costs.

I mean seriously, if they haven't "looked into it" lately, I don't even know what to say at that point.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ok, just got the update as to why PRO and WBS are delayed to 8:05;

the blogger who covers the Penguins said a transformer blew out and power has been out since late afternoon in and around the MSA-Casey Plaza complex, (the transformer blew behind the Marshalls in said complex).....

for those that follow WBS on Word Press they are live blogging the game as it occurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad