Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XII - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I want to see Senyshyn get called up, hope the B's do make some deals and one of then gets Wagner gone, I take Kuhlman even over him any day. This would allow Seny to play 4th line RW, where I think his speed and shot would be a welcomed addition.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I want to see Senyshyn get called up, hope the B's do make some deals and one of then gets Wagner gone, I take Kuhlman even over him any day. This would allow Seny to play 4th line RW, where I think his speed and shot would be a welcomed addition.

It’s hard to take you serious when you say stuff like this :laugh:

Reactions: sebskym

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Cam Hughes: B — Hughes is as complete a player you’ll find in the AHL. Works hard, grinds and also makes some dazzling passes. Kid has great vision and has been really good with Senyshyn on his line. He’d already be in the NHL if he were a couple inches taller and few pounds heavier. Unfortunately, it’s just not in his DNA to become someone of that stature. Still, he’s a three-zone driver for Providence and works extremely hard to overcome his physical deficiencies.

Paul Carey: B- — I know, I know. Captain Carey is a top-tier producer in the AHL and continues to be a go-to guy in Providence. That said, he’s lost a few steps over the years and it’s his undoubted NHL-caliber talent that keeps him from falling off. I think he’s made some good plays, but also has made some plays that have killed the momentum. He’s a consummate pro, a leader and still a very good player for Providence still. He seems to underestimate just how much time he actually has, but like I said, his natural abilities usually make up for that.
Robert Lantosi: C- — Lantosi was one of Providence’s best forwards last year, but for whatever reason(s), he just seems to be a bit “meh” this season. Obviously he’s extremely silken and talented, which definitely will result in points at this level, but I’d like to see more out of him. His shots haven’t been as calculated or patient, leading to some missed opportunities. He’s got plenty of skill and an NHL-contract to boot, but seems to be just kind of out there at times.

Jakub Lauko: A- — Lauko has played every single shift this season like it would be his last, which is 50/50 a good and bad thing. On one hand, he obviously is a high-impact player and shows it each shift, but on the other? He’s a bit reckless and has zero regard of this physical well-being on the ice. The type of player you have to let just go play his style and live and die with the results. He’s evolved into a top prospect in the system throughout the season this year and looks stronger, faster and more deliberate. Hell of a shot, high-end skating and extremely soft hands. He’s someone who plays with the puck on his stick and wants it there at all times. He’s been excellent for Providence and makes an impact every game.

Oskar Steen: B+ — Steen started hot through the first few games, maybe three or four, but he’s tapered off slightly in the second handful of games they’ve played. He’s a center, he’s a hard-working center at that and he looks to be more patient and driven this season. Part of that is adjusting to the AHL vs SHL vs Allsvenskan pace/tempo, but he looks really good right now. He’s framing his legs up with the puck and coasting into high-danger areas, forcing his opponents to make the move and trying to burn them. He’s shooting, winning draws and playing all situations fro Leach. Very good season start for him and he’s looking like a legitimate NHL prospect right now.

Matt Filipe: C+ — He’s definitely feeling the adjustment between the NCAA and AHL, that’s for sure. He’s sometimes too early and sometimes too late on the forecheck, but he’s got good wheels and works hard from start to finish. He’s always around the dirty areas and trying everything in his power to make something happen. I like him as a player and he’s reminiscent of a more slender, more athletic Sean Kuraly. Leave him in Providence and see where he’s at on a year-to-year basis.

Joona Koppanen: D+ — This one will rattle some cages I’m sure, given that many people (including Leach) are speaking highly of him, but I’m not fully seeing it. Sometimes, players excel or make plays because they are that much bigger and naturally stronger than others on the ice— that’s Koppanen for me. He’s been more mobile, agile this season and that praise definitely checks out for me. His shot is an extremely underrated element of his, but he doesn’t consistently put himself in positions to use it or get it off. While his natural tools are solid, especially for someone at 6”5”, his awareness and offense acumen is on the lower-end of the spectrum, IMO. He could be something of a bigger, rangier Joakim Nordstrom at some point, though.

Zach Senyshyn: A+ — He’s the best player on the team and has been since puck drop, IMO. He’s producing at a PPG clip and scoring goals. Like Eric said, what else can I say? He’s looking refined, deliberate and intentional out there, which were all inconsistencies in his game until right now. When he’s in on the forecheck, he’s IN on the forecheck— not just throwing his frame around with no intent. He’s winning battles, making plays and impacting the ice each shift. Senyshyn is as ready as he’ll ever be for the NHL and I still maintain he’d be a good third-line winger for someone like Coyle…or maybe…Studnicka?

Samuel Asselin: B — Asselin, like Lauko, just throws himself around the boards and ice like it’s Game 7 of the SCF each night. He’s a high-impact player, but probably the bottom-six NHL type. He’s picking up right where he left off from his final season in the Q, shooting and buzzing around the net, dot and circles. He’s fearless and has a really, really good shot. Not the biggest guy, but he’s dense and has been very good this season. One of those Blake Coleman-type guys you can throw out there against anyone and get some energy, pucks in the right direction when you need it.

Pavel Shen: C- — There’s a lot to like about him so far, honestly, he’s just inconsistent and undisciplined. Shen is probably the type of player the Bruins were hoping JFK would be in regards to the way he plays— aggressive, puck-hound type who shows a lot of hustle. He’s not afraid to grind, but can also make good plays. He’s definitely on a long-term path to the NHL if he makes it, but he’s definitely a skilled kid. He took three penalties last week in a game, which of course, isn’t a good look, but he does show pulse every shift which I enjoy. Consistency and patience will improve his game for Providence.

Alex Olivier-Voyer: D+ — Guy has the fourth-line lifestyle built into his DNA— sick flow, sick muzzy and one hell of an attitude on the ice. He’s got a big frame and uses it to his advantage on the forecheck, but his speed is lacking right now and he doesn’t really seem to be trying to make too many plays. Very strong, very sturdy power-forward type who will put some points up at this level because of his DNA and the way he plays. Voyer is a good fighter and good hitter, by the way. His impacts without the puck are more noticeable than with the puck, but he’s not a plug.

Anton Blidh: C+ — I have time for Blidh whether it’s Providence or Boston, to be honest. That said, his hands are definitely more cement than they are silk with the puck, yet he’ll make a really nice pass every few games that might get converted, which we saw last week. He’s a high-energy, in-your-face player for Providence and wears his role well. Perfect guy for this team and a sneaky good leader for the prospects in the locker room. Will he contribute much of any production in the NHL? Probably not, but he’ll always give it his all, forecheck, hit and fight. Traditional grinder who plays a traditional, simple game in his role.

Cooper Zech: A- — Zech means business this year and was Providence’s best defender through the first three games before Ahcan started to take over. He’s looked stronger, faster and more deliberate this season for Providence, more like what he did overseas this offseason vs what he did last year. Really smart player with excellent passing, vision and hands. He can shoot, pass and score. However, he’s definitely slender and similar to someone like Matt Grzelcyk, he has to use his feet, brain and hands to overcome his deficiencies. Really good defenseman though and gets the job done on both ends. Plays something of a Krejci-esque game with the puck, but from the backend, if you’d like to harp on me for saying that, which I’m sure one of you weirdos will. “oH DAvId KreJcI? oK He MusT bE sOfT aND NoT CarE tHen LoLLLL.”

Brady Lyle: C — Lyle has good size, is very strong and has decent hands. His mobility is pleasantly surprising and when he activates, protecting the puck to skate in with space, is reminiscent of pre-injury Kevan Miller. A bit rough around the edges and choppy in transition or dangling, but still a solid player to have on the backend. Probably should have been drafted, but it’s Boston’s win for this round. I have time for him.

Jack Ahcan: A — Ahcan, like Krug, Grezlcyk and others before him, will have to overcome his lack of height by other means and let me tell you— he does. Ahcan looks like a bonafide NHL defender and a top-four at that. Sure, he’s small, but he’s also more dense and fleet-footed than most undersized players. He was easily the best hitter in his conference at St. Cloud State and he’s continuing that trend in the AHL. He’s creative, he’s tough as nails and he plays each shift like he’s going to straight up retire the next day. Bruins have an extremely good prospect here and he’s got the production to boot. Some people were doubting him for whatever reason, but if you were watching him last season you’d know he’s the real deal. I don’t know if he’ll stick in a long-term top-four position at the next level, but he’s off to a tremendous start in his pro career.
Ahcan is one of those guys that just plays like a winner and will absolutely be a fan favorite in Boston when he gets there. He’ll definitely get a cup of tea and I’d be willing to bet he’s going to make an impression when he’s up there at whatever point. He’s a three-zone, 200ft defender that plays like he’s 6’2” and 215lbs.

Nick Wolff: C- — Wolff, while undeniably big, strong and mobile, has his work cut out for him. He’s comfortable on his skates, but he’s a bit slow on the uptake in terms of pace at this level. He’s tough as nails, but he’s also not some world-class fighter that fans make him out to be, tuning people up left and right. Big hits do in fact come from him though, that’s for sure. Needs to work on his timing and pace throughout the season, but I think he’s going to need ~50 games or so before he looks like a bottom-pair defender in the NHL. Wouldn’t be writing him off either, he’s a competitor and extremely driven from I’ve seen and heard of him. I have time for him.

Swayman: A — He’s their best goalie prospect and it’s not that close for me, to be honest. He’s got good size between the pipes, but also the athleticism and agility to play completely from his knees in chaotic, pace-pushing scenarios. He’ll make good positional stops, but he’ll also make Quick-level desperation saves when you need them, even if he’s off balance. Swayman tracks the puck incredibly well and sets his angles even better. He looks every part of a No. 1 franchise caliber goaltender, IMO.

Vladar: A- — Vladdy is a really good goaltending prospect as well, but I think there’s a sizable gap between him and Swayman. His vision, tracking isn’t as high-end and I think some of the really nice saves he makes is simply due to his sheer size, frame between the pipes. He definitely looks like an NHL goaltender, but I don’t think he looks the part of a full-time No. 1 backbone like Swayman does. Goalies are weird though and Vladar is building quite the reputation here for being a very good goalie. I like him as an NHL prospect, I just think Swayman is the clear-cut favorite of them. He’s nails.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Cam Hughes: B — Hughes is as complete a player you’ll find in the AHL. Works hard, grinds and also makes some dazzling passes. Kid has great vision and has been really good with Senyshyn on his line. He’d already be in the NHL if he were a couple inches taller and few pounds heavier. Unfortunately, it’s just not in his DNA to become someone of that stature. Still, he’s a three-zone driver for Providence and works extremely hard to overcome his physical deficiencies.

Paul Carey: B- — I know, I know. Captain Carey is a top-tier producer in the AHL and continues to be a go-to guy in Providence. That said, he’s lost a few steps over the years and it’s his undoubted NHL-caliber talent that keeps him from falling off. I think he’s made some good plays, but also has made some plays that have killed the momentum. He’s a consummate pro, a leader and still a very good player for Providence still. He seems to underestimate just how much time he actually has, but like I said, his natural abilities usually make up for that.
Robert Lantosi: C- — Lantosi was one of Providence’s best forwards last year, but for whatever reason(s), he just seems to be a bit “meh” this season. Obviously he’s extremely silken and talented, which definitely will result in points at this level, but I’d like to see more out of him. His shots haven’t been as calculated or patient, leading to some missed opportunities. He’s got plenty of skill and an NHL-contract to boot, but seems to be just kind of out there at times.

Jakub Lauko: A- — Lauko has played every single shift this season like it would be his last, which is 50/50 a good and bad thing. On one hand, he obviously is a high-impact player and shows it each shift, but on the other? He’s a bit reckless and has zero regard of this physical well-being on the ice. The type of player you have to let just go play his style and live and die with the results. He’s evolved into a top prospect in the system throughout the season this year and looks stronger, faster and more deliberate. Hell of a shot, high-end skating and extremely soft hands. He’s someone who plays with the puck on his stick and wants it there at all times. He’s been excellent for Providence and makes an impact every game.

Oskar Steen: B+ — Steen started hot through the first few games, maybe three or four, but he’s tapered off slightly in the second handful of games they’ve played. He’s a center, he’s a hard-working center at that and he looks to be more patient and driven this season. Part of that is adjusting to the AHL vs SHL vs Allsvenskan pace/tempo, but he looks really good right now. He’s framing his legs up with the puck and coasting into high-danger areas, forcing his opponents to make the move and trying to burn them. He’s shooting, winning draws and playing all situations fro Leach. Very good season start for him and he’s looking like a legitimate NHL prospect right now.

Matt Filipe: C+ — He’s definitely feeling the adjustment between the NCAA and AHL, that’s for sure. He’s sometimes too early and sometimes too late on the forecheck, but he’s got good wheels and works hard from start to finish. He’s always around the dirty areas and trying everything in his power to make something happen. I like him as a player and he’s reminiscent of a more slender, more athletic Sean Kuraly. Leave him in Providence and see where he’s at on a year-to-year basis.

Joona Koppanen: D+ — This one will rattle some cages I’m sure, given that many people (including Leach) are speaking highly of him, but I’m not fully seeing it. Sometimes, players excel or make plays because they are that much bigger and naturally stronger than others on the ice— that’s Koppanen for me. He’s been more mobile, agile this season and that praise definitely checks out for me. His shot is an extremely underrated element of his, but he doesn’t consistently put himself in positions to use it or get it off. While his natural tools are solid, especially for someone at 6”5”, his awareness and offense acumen is on the lower-end of the spectrum, IMO. He could be something of a bigger, rangier Joakim Nordstrom at some point, though.

Zach Senyshyn: A+ — He’s the best player on the team and has been since puck drop, IMO. He’s producing at a PPG clip and scoring goals. Like Eric said, what else can I say? He’s looking refined, deliberate and intentional out there, which were all inconsistencies in his game until right now. When he’s in on the forecheck, he’s IN on the forecheck— not just throwing his frame around with no intent. He’s winning battles, making plays and impacting the ice each shift. Senyshyn is as ready as he’ll ever be for the NHL and I still maintain he’d be a good third-line winger for someone like Coyle…or maybe…Studnicka?

Samuel Asselin: B — Asselin, like Lauko, just throws himself around the boards and ice like it’s Game 7 of the SCF each night. He’s a high-impact player, but probably the bottom-six NHL type. He’s picking up right where he left off from his final season in the Q, shooting and buzzing around the net, dot and circles. He’s fearless and has a really, really good shot. Not the biggest guy, but he’s dense and has been very good this season. One of those Blake Coleman-type guys you can throw out there against anyone and get some energy, pucks in the right direction when you need it.

Pavel Shen: C- — There’s a lot to like about him so far, honestly, he’s just inconsistent and undisciplined. Shen is probably the type of player the Bruins were hoping JFK would be in regards to the way he plays— aggressive, puck-hound type who shows a lot of hustle. He’s not afraid to grind, but can also make good plays. He’s definitely on a long-term path to the NHL if he makes it, but he’s definitely a skilled kid. He took three penalties last week in a game, which of course, isn’t a good look, but he does show pulse every shift which I enjoy. Consistency and patience will improve his game for Providence.

Alex Olivier-Voyer: D+ — Guy has the fourth-line lifestyle built into his DNA— sick flow, sick muzzy and one hell of an attitude on the ice. He’s got a big frame and uses it to his advantage on the forecheck, but his speed is lacking right now and he doesn’t really seem to be trying to make too many plays. Very strong, very sturdy power-forward type who will put some points up at this level because of his DNA and the way he plays. Voyer is a good fighter and good hitter, by the way. His impacts without the puck are more noticeable than with the puck, but he’s not a plug.

Anton Blidh: C+ — I have time for Blidh whether it’s Providence or Boston, to be honest. That said, his hands are definitely more cement than they are silk with the puck, yet he’ll make a really nice pass every few games that might get converted, which we saw last week. He’s a high-energy, in-your-face player for Providence and wears his role well. Perfect guy for this team and a sneaky good leader for the prospects in the locker room. Will he contribute much of any production in the NHL? Probably not, but he’ll always give it his all, forecheck, hit and fight. Traditional grinder who plays a traditional, simple game in his role.

Cooper Zech: A- — Zech means business this year and was Providence’s best defender through the first three games before Ahcan started to take over. He’s looked stronger, faster and more deliberate this season for Providence, more like what he did overseas this offseason vs what he did last year. Really smart player with excellent passing, vision and hands. He can shoot, pass and score. However, he’s definitely slender and similar to someone like Matt Grzelcyk, he has to use his feet, brain and hands to overcome his deficiencies. Really good defenseman though and gets the job done on both ends. Plays something of a Krejci-esque game with the puck, but from the backend, if you’d like to harp on me for saying that, which I’m sure one of you weirdos will. “oH DAvId KreJcI? oK He MusT bE sOfT aND NoT CarE tHen LoLLLL.”

Brady Lyle: C — Lyle has good size, is very strong and has decent hands. His mobility is pleasantly surprising and when he activates, protecting the puck to skate in with space, is reminiscent of pre-injury Kevan Miller. A bit rough around the edges and choppy in transition or dangling, but still a solid player to have on the backend. Probably should have been drafted, but it’s Boston’s win for this round. I have time for him.

Jack Ahcan: A — Ahcan, like Krug, Grezlcyk and others before him, will have to overcome his lack of height by other means and let me tell you— he does. Ahcan looks like a bonafide NHL defender and a top-four at that. Sure, he’s small, but he’s also more dense and fleet-footed than most undersized players. He was easily the best hitter in his conference at St. Cloud State and he’s continuing that trend in the AHL. He’s creative, he’s tough as nails and he plays each shift like he’s going to straight up retire the next day. Bruins have an extremely good prospect here and he’s got the production to boot. Some people were doubting him for whatever reason, but if you were watching him last season you’d know he’s the real deal. I don’t know if he’ll stick in a long-term top-four position at the next level, but he’s off to a tremendous start in his pro career.
Ahcan is one of those guys that just plays like a winner and will absolutely be a fan favorite in Boston when he gets there. He’ll definitely get a cup of tea and I’d be willing to bet he’s going to make an impression when he’s up there at whatever point. He’s a three-zone, 200ft defender that plays like he’s 6’2” and 215lbs.

Nick Wolff: C- — Wolff, while undeniably big, strong and mobile, has his work cut out for him. He’s comfortable on his skates, but he’s a bit slow on the uptake in terms of pace at this level. He’s tough as nails, but he’s also not some world-class fighter that fans make him out to be, tuning people up left and right. Big hits do in fact come from him though, that’s for sure. Needs to work on his timing and pace throughout the season, but I think he’s going to need ~50 games or so before he looks like a bottom-pair defender in the NHL. Wouldn’t be writing him off either, he’s a competitor and extremely driven from I’ve seen and heard of him. I have time for him.

Swayman: A — He’s their best goalie prospect and it’s not that close for me, to be honest. He’s got good size between the pipes, but also the athleticism and agility to play completely from his knees in chaotic, pace-pushing scenarios. He’ll make good positional stops, but he’ll also make Quick-level desperation saves when you need them, even if he’s off balance. Swayman tracks the puck incredibly well and sets his angles even better. He looks every part of a No. 1 franchise caliber goaltender, IMO.

Vladar: A- — Vladdy is a really good goaltending prospect as well, but I think there’s a sizable gap between him and Swayman. His vision, tracking isn’t as high-end and I think some of the really nice saves he makes is simply due to his sheer size, frame between the pipes. He definitely looks like an NHL goaltender, but I don’t think he looks the part of a full-time No. 1 backbone like Swayman does. Goalies are weird though and Vladar is building quite the reputation here for being a very good goalie. I like him as an NHL prospect, I just think Swayman is the clear-cut favorite of them. He’s nails.
Comparing the grades between the 3 of us we had the same grade for 2 players and they were Asselin and Swayman. My only real disagreement with your list is Voyer. I feel like a D+ is extremely low for you. Other than that great list and thanks for yours and @Saxon Eric's input.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Comparing the grades between the 3 of us we had the same grade for 2 players and they were Asselin and Swayman. My only real disagreement with your list is Voyer. I feel like a D+ is extremely low for you. Other than that great list and thanks for yours and @Saxon Eric's input.

That's fair criticism of me, you're right. I like Voyer, but I also think his impact that been much more felt away from the puck than with it. I still think most of what you and Eric do about him, but I'm almost at the point of giving him a C. It's a very high D+ FWIW, like a 68% or 69% if we're grading out of 100. I'm sure the rankings around Game 14 will be higher for me in regards to him.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
what area of his game (Wolff) do you think Quaider can help with Dom? Not challenging your thought, just know very little about the kids game

I will let the resident Providence guys answer that.

Wolff is the complete Ford F-250 truck with one exception— there’s no engine. Everything else is there, but nothing is bringing it all together.

McQuaid can help him play a more stay-at-home style of hockey tailored for the modern game, similar to that of his own during Boston’s cup runs. He just needs to learn to pick his spots and not treat the professional game like a shootout of a match between two teams. His timing, positioning needs refinement.

Wolff, as currently constituted, isn’t very efficient at this level and he’s gassed by the third, IMO. It’s mainly coachable, trainable stuff, but he’s definitely not young for a prospect and will have to work hard to overcome it. I wouldn’t count him out, though.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
OK well we each have our opinions, but I just don't like Wagner at all and I think Kuhlman at least gives you the same type 4th line style at less money.

That was a DB thing of me to say. You’re right that we each have our opinions. I haven’t liked Wagner’s game much this year but when he’s on, I think he’s an asset with his physicality. I haven’t seen it enough this season. Both Kuraly and Wagner have been disappointing. I wish they would both turn it on because they both bring it when they do.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Fantastic. Thank you for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad