Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XII - Providence Bruins to play abbreviated season in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
That was a DB thing of me to say. You’re right that we each have our opinions. I haven’t liked Wagner’s game much this year but when he’s on, I think he’s an asset with his physicality. I haven’t seen it enough this season. Both Kuraly and Wagner have been disappointing. I wish they would both turn it on because they both bring it when they do.
Kuraly I think is better at LW than C, maybe once DK is back they keep Stud as 4th C for now and move Kuraly to the wing.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Blowfish

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Providence 7 game grading
Cam Hughes B+ Thus far he's continued where he left off last season, wish he was a couple of inches taller and 10 pounds heavier and he'd be the guy we'd be demanding they call up, an almost perfect AHL Player
Paul Carey B+ The Captain is off to another hot start but I've noticed he hasn't been as dominate as he had been a few years ago ,still a solid player
Robert Lantosi C+ Easily my biggest disappointment 7 games in, has picked it up as of last few games but man was I expecting more, of all the players that were sent overseas to stay sharp it appears he's regressed over there
Jakub Lauko A , Almost gave him an A+, he's moved into the top tier of our prospects, easing concerns I had about his hands, the way he plays they'll always be the threat of injuries but the kid can play, he'll make some noise at camp next year
Oskar Steen B- inconsistent start, he's had some strong games and some weak ones, he should be putting his stamp on this team but still looks like he's stuck in first gear, beautiful release though
Matt Filipe B- While Steen is trending down Filipe is heading up, has a Byron Bitz feel to him, hard worker is getting comfortable with the pace of the game, big body that doesn't shy away from contact, cautiously optimistic
Joona Koppanen B he really is an excellent PKer, has a lovely NHL quality wrist shot, wish he'd use it more, skating has improved ,he's freaking huge, can't write him off
Zach Senyshyn A+ currently the best player on the team, what else can I say other than it's time?
Sammy Asselin B I've said for years not to pay attention to what line they're on and Asselin is another one as he's on the 4th line yet plays on the PP and PK, he's a bit of a pest and fun to watch, let's see where he is at season's end
Pavel Shen C+ another one I was hoping for more from, disaster of a game #6 ,had shown flashes now and again, has a decent resume but does seem to go off the rails on occasion, I don't know...
Alex Olivier Voyer B- Cool name, cool stach , works hard, does have that Freddy T lite feel to him, skating is what looks to be holding him back, interesting find from the Q though
Anton Blidh B perfect AHL player, never takes a shift off, hits hard, plays hard however has hands of stone, I've always been a fan of his
Cooper Zech A Solid improvement from last year, clean breakouts, high IQ ,wins a surprisingly high number of board battles, runs the PP just a lot to like but I have a feeling we're grooming him for another team
Brady Lyle B+ Pleasantly surprised, good frame ,physical, another one who moves the puck well, heavy shot, seems to improve ever week, why wasn't he drafted?
Jack Ahcan A I love me some Cooper Zech and Brady Lyle but this guy is the crown jewel of the 3, he has NHL written all over him, high end everything except size..., dude is legit good, if you're gonna trade your 1's and 2's every year you best hit on your College Free Agents, this kid is a hit
Nick Wolff B- The big bad Wolff has struggled with the pace of the game at times, has showed surprising offensive flair but I think he'll be on a long development curve, 200 +AHL games long, overall about what I expected thus far
Swayman/Vladar A these 2 have delivered high quality goaltending game in and game out, they are the future ,no worries from me
Overall enjoyable team to watch with interesting sub plots that only more games and time will answer
Thanks to @arider1990 , @BruinsNetwork , and @Saxon Eric for doing this. For those of us who aren't able to see much of P Bruins this is really great reading.

Eric when you talk about Lauko and "the way he plays" being a concern for injury, can you elaborate a bit. I confess I've seen almost none of his play. Reckless crash bang, head down through lanes (e lindros syndrome)??? Thanks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wolff is the complete Ford F-250 truck with one exception— there’s no engine. Everything else is there, but nothing is bringing it all together.

McQuaid can help him play a more stay-at-home style of hockey tailored for the modern game, similar to that of his own during Boston’s cup runs. He just needs to learn to pick his spots and not treat the professional game like a shootout of a match between two teams. His timing, positioning needs refinement.

Wolff, as currently constituted, isn’t very efficient at this level and he’s gassed by the third, IMO. It’s mainly coachable, trainable stuff, but he’s definitely not young for a prospect and will have to work hard to overcome it. I wouldn’t count him out, though.
appreciate the response friend, love the work you and others putting in keeping us up to speed on all things PB`s

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Providence 7 game grading
Cam Hughes B+ Thus far he's continued where he left off last season, wish he was a couple of inches taller and 10 pounds heavier and he'd be the guy we'd be demanding they call up, an almost perfect AHL Player
Paul Carey B+ The Captain is off to another hot start but I've noticed he hasn't been as dominate as he had been a few years ago ,still a solid player
Robert Lantosi C+ Easily my biggest disappointment 7 games in, has picked it up as of last few games but man was I expecting more, of all the players that were sent overseas to stay sharp it appears he's regressed over there
Jakub Lauko A , Almost gave him an A+, he's moved into the top tier of our prospects, easing concerns I had about his hands, the way he plays they'll always be the threat of injuries but the kid can play, he'll make some noise at camp next year
Oskar Steen B- inconsistent start, he's had some strong games and some weak ones, he should be putting his stamp on this team but still looks like he's stuck in first gear, beautiful release though
Matt Filipe B- While Steen is trending down Filipe is heading up, has a Byron Bitz feel to him, hard worker is getting comfortable with the pace of the game, big body that doesn't shy away from contact, cautiously optimistic
Joona Koppanen B he really is an excellent PKer, has a lovely NHL quality wrist shot, wish he'd use it more, skating has improved ,he's freaking huge, can't write him off
Zach Senyshyn A+ currently the best player on the team, what else can I say other than it's time?
Sammy Asselin B I've said for years not to pay attention to what line they're on and Asselin is another one as he's on the 4th line yet plays on the PP and PK, he's a bit of a pest and fun to watch, let's see where he is at season's end
Pavel Shen C+ another one I was hoping for more from, disaster of a game #6 ,had shown flashes now and again, has a decent resume but does seem to go off the rails on occasion, I don't know...
Alex Olivier Voyer B- Cool name, cool stach , works hard, does have that Freddy T lite feel to him, skating is what looks to be holding him back, interesting find from the Q though
Anton Blidh B perfect AHL player, never takes a shift off, hits hard, plays hard however has hands of stone, I've always been a fan of his
Cooper Zech A Solid improvement from last year, clean breakouts, high IQ ,wins a surprisingly high number of board battles, runs the PP just a lot to like but I have a feeling we're grooming him for another team
Brady Lyle B+ Pleasantly surprised, good frame ,physical, another one who moves the puck well, heavy shot, seems to improve ever week, why wasn't he drafted?
Jack Ahcan A I love me some Cooper Zech and Brady Lyle but this guy is the crown jewel of the 3, he has NHL written all over him, high end everything except size..., dude is legit good, if you're gonna trade your 1's and 2's every year you best hit on your College Free Agents, this kid is a hit
Nick Wolff B- The big bad Wolff has struggled with the pace of the game at times, has showed surprising offensive flair but I think he'll be on a long development curve, 200 +AHL games long, overall about what I expected thus far
Swayman/Vladar A these 2 have delivered high quality goaltending game in and game out, they are the future ,no worries from me
Overall enjoyable team to watch with interesting sub plots that only more games and time will answer

Do you think Vladar has improved from last season? I'm relieved to know the Bruins have a potential long term starter in Swayman.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Do you think Vladar has improved from last season? I'm relieved to know the Bruins have a potential long term starter in Swayman.
Swayman may be a year or 2 away unless something changes that.... I'd be more worried about Keyser based off his history/future.

the other question is will Booth actually see ice time either in Boston/Providence, rather than flipping him virtually, u could say, through the taxi squad

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Thanks to @arider1990 , @BruinsNetwork , and @Saxon Eric for doing this. For those of us who aren't able to see much of P Bruins this is really great reading.

Eric when you talk about Lauko and "the way he plays" being a concern for injury, can you elaborate a bit. I confess I've seen almost none of his play. Reckless crash bang, head down through lanes (e lindros syndrome)??? Thanks.
Fearless more so than reckless,he reminds me a bit of a Sobotka or a Markwart type but with possibly better hands, he's successful the way he plays I wouldn't want to change that it's just that you'll have to accept he'll get dinged at some point and miss time, I haven’t seen an off switch with him yet

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Comparing the grades between the 3 of us we had the same grade for 2 players and they were Asselin and Swayman. My only real disagreement with your list is Voyer. I feel like a D+ is extremely low for you. Other than that great list and thanks for yours and @Saxon Eric's input.
For those looking for trends, since I can't add any intel to this discussion, I can at least put you all side by side! :laugh:

Apologies if I'm made any typos -- I think it's right. Shoot me, not the raters if I've got anything wrong.

Some obvious positives stand out among all three: Lauko, Senyshyn, Zech, Swayman, Vladar and Ahcan (with some difference of view).

Saxon Ericarider1990BruinsNetwork
C HughesB+A-B
P CareyB+A-B-
R LantosiC+B-C-
J LaukoAAA-
O SteenB-B-B+
M FilipeB-C+C+
J KoppanenBB-D+
Z SenyshynA+AA+
S AsselinBB-B
P ShenC+C-C-
A O VoyerB-B-D+
A BlidhBC+C+
C ZechAA-A-
B LyleB+B-C
J AhcanAB-A
N WolffB-C+C-
J SwaymanAAA
D VladarAA-A-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Fearless more so than reckless,he reminds me a bit of a Sobotka or a Markwart type but with possibly better hands, he's successful the way he plays I wouldn't want to change that it's just that you'll have to accept he'll get dinged at some point and miss time, I haven’t seen an off switch with him yet
Thanks Eric. As I say, I have seen almost nothing of him, however by using Sobotka and Markwart as examples I now have vivid image in my head. :laugh: Very vivid! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad