Providence Bruins General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
great stuff, bud. crushing it. question for you on johansson, as i haven't seen enough to say.
how would you compare his game to gryz right now?
Defensively similar in style,EJ has more jam but that's it,hard to compare as Gryz has middle pairing NHL upside and Johansson is a middle pairing AHL defender so there's a big gap, Gryz in the A pushed the pace,EJ is safety first

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Czarnik is a catalyst on offense, Fitzgerald isn’t. Not that he’s a slouch, but he just doesn’t think the game at the same speed as Czarnik. Different players, though. I always picture Fitzgerald as a bottom-six grinder who can chip in offensively and make plays. Czarnik, always thought he’d be a good third-line center, especially with that shot of his, but it hasn’t turn out that way. Thought he was good at 3C in his brief moments with Boston, though, before he got hurt. Hasn’t played bad for Calgary, just not where I expected him to be.

Anyways, back on topic, Czarnik is a much better skater than Fitzgerald, who often lags behind the plays. He doesn’t have the advantage of size, as opposed to someone like Cehlarik, who isn’t that great of a skater either, but can mask it.

Fitzgerald deserves a look on merit and versatility alone at some point, IMO. However, I don’t think he’s going to be an above average player in the NHL.

Every time I ready of Fitz. I just think of Rudy

He's 5 foot nothing, 100 an nothing, and is a mediocre skater, but man he has a lot of heart out there. He may find a way to carve out a niche as a 4th line forward somewhere, but I just don't see it happening here. I certainly don't see it happening on the Bruins who seem to desire having a hit line as their 4th line. Maybe someone (NJ) will give up a 7th rounder for him, but that would be generous

Good Ahl player though

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Mid Season Grades Forwards Part 1
Zach Senyshyn, When will they take off his training wheels and give him a real center? One side of me says lets be patient,he's slowly developing a 200ft game and lets see if he can generate offense on his own blah blah blah blah,the other side says you're basically telling me after 200+ Junior games followed by 100+Pro games he doesn't know how to play hockey,which is it?
they gave Bjork a good center,they gave Donato a good center,Fitzgerald has been married to Szwarz for 2 years,Frederic has Hughes,I've watched every minute of every game so far this year and I don't know what he is. Never mind a call up lets give him good players consistently and go from there Grade B-
Anders Bjork, I love watching him play,there was no brooding from him when he came down,I've said a few things about him before and I'll say them again, at times he's an AHL version of Barzal,speed and shiftiness has the D on their heels but his D zone coverage still needs attention and I'm getting really spooked about his injury history,like to see him healthy and spend the rest of the year down here and rack up the points Grade B+
Ryan Fitzgerald, second year pro started slow, then got red hot and cooled off and then got hurt,2 weeks ago he would have received a A-,I don't think he's NHL material,he's another one that isn't particularly strong in his own end,skating slightly below average for a player his seize,he does produce though,great vision,he's kind of the forgotten prospect and that's after a 21 goal rookie year and he leads Providence in points now with 26 in 36 games,Grade B+
Peter Cehlarik, Should be playing in Boston Grade B+
Karson Kuhlman, very nice FA signing,speed to burn,smart,almost elite PKer,he'll probably take someones job next year or soon after,hands are good,keeps things simple,lots to like Grade B
Jordan Szwarz,his early season injury basically ground Providence's offense to a halt and they've been digging out of that hole since,he's the captain and a very important piece down here,yet another one that's not the greatest in his own end...Grade B
Cam Hughes, So far he's my rookie of the year,does it all,PK,PP ,good skater,heavy shot,crafty,outstanding vision,most of those P Bruins highlights you see are him feeding the eventual goal scorer ,He's been pretty consistent too, you notice him almost every game,going forward I want to see if he can maintain and hopefully get some playoff experience down here which is less than 50/50 right now.The BruinsNetwork would like to see some weight gain,I agree but not sure he's got the frame for it,that said if he can add 5-8 pounds of muscle he's a safe bet for 3rd line NHL,if he hits 10 pounds of gain he's top 6 material and I ain't shitten,kids a keeper
Grade A

BruinsNetwork

Zach Senyshyn, When will they take off his training wheels and give him a real center? One side of me says lets be patient,he's slowly developing a 200ft game and lets see if he can generate offense on his own blah blah blah blah,the other side says you're basically telling me after 200+ Junior games followed by 100+Pro games he doesn't know how to play hockey,which is it?
they gave Bjork a good center,they gave Donato a good center,Fitzgerald has been married to Szwarz for 2 years,Frederic has Hughes,I've watched every minute of every game so far this year and I don't know what he is. Never mind a call up lets give him good players consistently and go from there Grade B-
Anders Bjork, I love watching him play,there was no brooding from him when he came down,I've said a few things about him before and I'll say them again, at times he's an AHL version of Barzal,speed and shiftiness has the D on their heels but his D zone coverage still needs attention and I'm getting really spooked about his injury history,like to see him healthy and spend the rest of the year down here and rack up the points Grade B+
Ryan Fitzgerald, second year pro started slow, then got red hot and cooled off and then got hurt,2 weeks ago he would have received a A-,I don't think he's NHL material,he's another one that isn't particularly strong in his own end,skating slightly below average for a player his seize,he does produce though,great vision,he's kind of the forgotten prospect and that's after a 21 goal rookie year and he leads Providence in points now with 26 in 36 games,Grade B+
Karson Kuhlman, very nice FA signing,speed to burn,smart,almost elite PKer,he'll probably take someones job next year or soon after,hands are good,keeps things simple,lots to like Grade B
Jordan Szwarz,his early season injury basically ground Providence's offense to a halt and they've been digging out of that hole since,he's the captain and a very important piece down here,yet another one that's not the greatest in his own end...Grade B
Cam Hughes, So far he's my rookie of the year,does it all,PK,PP ,good skater,heavy shot,crafty,outstanding vision,most of those P Bruins highlights you see are him feeding the eventual goal scorer ,He's been pretty consistent too, you notice him almost every game,going forward I want to see if he can maintain and hopefully get some playoff experience down here which is less than 50/50 right now.The BruinsNetwork would like to see some weight gain,I agree but not sure he's got the frame for it,that said if he can add 5-8 pounds of muscle he's a safe bet for 3rd line NHL,if he hits 10 pounds of gain he's top 6 material and I ain't ****ten,kids a keeper
Grade A

Agree with most of this, especially Senyshyn and Hughes. Good news with Senyshyn is he’s one off the team lead for goals without playing consistently in the top-six with the same centers.

Hughes was originally thought of to be a middle-six center in the NHL before his freshman year at Wisconsin. Honestly, I don’t think that’s too far off after watching him this year. He plays a low-risk game, yet he still makes those homerun passes.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Agree with most of this, especially Senyshyn and Hughes. Good news with Senyshyn is he’s one off the team lead for goals without playing consistently in the top-six with the same centers.

Hughes was originally thought of to be a middle-six center in the NHL before his freshman year at Wisconsin. Honestly, I don’t think that’s too far off after watching him this year. He plays a low-risk game, yet he still makes those homerun passes.

And if i remember correctly he wasn't on the first pp unit in the beginning of the season? What's his pp situation now?

BruinsNetwork

And if i remember correctly he wasn't on the first pp unit in the beginning of the season? What's his pp situation now?

Correct. He started to see more time on there when injuries started piling on a little while ago. He gets a decent amount of time on the PP now. Gets a few different looks there in terms of positions, too.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Cam Hughes, So far he's my rookie of the year,does it all,PK,PP ,good skater,heavy shot,crafty,outstanding vision,most of those P Bruins highlights you see are him feeding the eventual goal scorer ,He's been pretty consistent too, you notice him almost every game,going forward I want to see if he can maintain and hopefully get some playoff experience down here which is less than 50/50 right now.The BruinsNetwork would like to see some weight gain,I agree but not sure he's got the frame for it,that said if he can add 5-8 pounds of muscle he's a safe bet for 3rd line NHL,if he hits 10 pounds of gain he's top 6 material and I ain't ****ten,kids a keeper
Grade A
Agree with a lot of this based on limited viewings.

Cam Hughes is a very interesting piece for me. Has potential to be an absolute late round steal. Especially if he can turn into a solid middle 6 guy.

Reactions: Blowfish

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Grade A

Thanks for posting, so hard for a fan like me who never gets to see the PB`s

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Really glad he's back in action.

Just adds to the strong depth the Bs have this year on the back end.

And a guy I would expect to make a push for a full time spot very soon.
Thanks for the update. I really want Vaak up here playing, will be disappointed if he is not taking a shift with the B's in 2-4 weeks. We need to move some of our surplus dee sooner than later.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Thanks for the update. I really want Vaak up here playing, will be disappointed if he is not taking a shift with the B's in 2-4 weeks. We need to move some of our surplus dee sooner than later.

I just don't see how it's possible that he's in Boston this year unless there are injuries. They'd need to ship out two defensemen.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I just don't see how it's possible that he's in Boston this year unless there are injuries. They'd need to ship out two defensemen.

We have a problem down here,well,nice problem for me as a enjoy watching them but you now have Vaakanainen,Zboril,Lauzon,Clifton,Sherman and Johansson,plus 3 AHL vets,I believe there is a rule on minimum/maximum amount of veteran players on game day,which I think is 2 ,regardless no kid should sit unless they're getting classroom time up in the press box. Maybe send the Sherman Tank to Atlanta,we'll see what happens this weekend

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Mid Season Grades Part 2 Forwards

Mark McNeill, The well traveled former first round pick has been a bit of a disappointment for me,injuries and inconsistent play effects his Mid Season Grade,when on he's a solid AHL player that grinds out points,lacks foot speed which is probably why he never made it,back in 2011 I wanted to draft him... luckily for everyone I'm not the GM Grade B-
Anton Blidh, Heart and sole of the team,my vote for MVP, only 23 years old,has done away with the dumb penalties that he was famous for,plays all situations and I feel he would help Boston's 4th line,deserves more love from management,what else can I say? Grade A
Trent Frederic,was on the track for a early recall until a headshot from the washed up Steve Bernier knocked him out for weeks,post concussion he looked mediocre but this past weekend he played excellent in 2 out of the 3 games,he's a Lite Beer version of Mathew Tkachuk,needs improvement at the dot and a little more attention to detail,I have no concerns,he's going to be a good one.Grade B+
Austin Fyten,a veteran of about 10 teams in 7 years he provides muscle,leadership,knows his role,contributes to the PK,decent skater,he can play on my team anytime. Grade B-
Gemal Smith, Elite offensive AHL talent,all business on the ice,strange that Dallas didn't want him back, but we'll take him,I can't grade him after 9 games. Grade Incomplete
Tanner Pond, The former Northeastern Husky is still trying to carve out a fulltime 4th line role,when he does play he bring a very strong body checking element that's sadly lacking in pro hockey,he absolutely lit up the ECHL during a recent short stay with 2 goals 5 assist in 3 games,I'd like to see him in the line up more. Grade C+

Friday I'll cover the Goalies and Staff

Last edited:

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Mid Season Grades Part 2 Forwards

Mark McNeill, The well traveled former second round pick has been a bit of a disappointment for me,injuries and inconsistent play effects his Mid Season Grade,when on he's a solid AHL player that grinds out points,lacks foot speed which is probably why he never made it,back in 2011 I wanted to draft him... luckily for everyone I'm not the GM Grade B-
Anton Blidh, Heart and sole of the team,my vote for MVP, only 23 years old,has done away with the dumb penalties that he was famous for,plays all situations and I feel he would help Boston's 4th line,deserves more love from management,what else can I say? Grade A
Trent Frederic,was on the track for a early recall until a headshot from the washed up Steve Bernier knocked him out for weeks,post concussion he looked mediocre but this past weekend he played excellent in 2 out of the 3 games,he's a Lite Beer version of Mathew Tkachuk,needs improvement at the dot and a little more attention to detail,I have no concerns,he's going to be a good one.Grade B+
Austin Fyten,a veteran of about 10 teams in 7 years he provides muscle,leadership,knows his role,contributes to the PK,decent skater,he can play on my team anytime. Grade B-
Gemal Smith, Elite offensive AHL talent,all business on the ice,strange that Dallas didn't want him back, but we'll take him,I can't grade him after 9 games. Grade Incomplete
Tanner Pond, The former Northeastern Husky is still trying to curve out a fulltime 4th line role,when he does play he bring a very strong body checking element that's sadly lacking in pro hockey,he absolutely lit up the ECHL during a recent short stay with 2 goals 5 assist in 3 games,I'd like to see him in the line up more. Grade C+

Friday I'll cover the Goalies and Staff
Mark McNeill was a first rounder in 2011 not second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad