Providence Bruins General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Old friends Ryan Lindgren and Matt Beleskey with a couple of scraps.
They made the right call with Lindgren,he's not in the same zip code as Vaakanainen, Zboril or Lauzon and I'd take Johansson over him,ROG looked good though,surprised he hasn't gotten a sniff this season

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BruinsNetwork

They made the right call with Lindgren,he's not in the same zip code as Vaakanainen, Zboril or Lauzon and I'd take Johansson over him,ROG looked good though,surprised he hasn't gotten a sniff this season

Was thinking the same exact thing tonight. He becomes really overwhelmed when the pace and tempo starts to pick up in his own zone. This isn't the first time either, though, since he really hasn't been good this season at all IMO. I'm surprised, I was really high on him up until this season.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik with 2 goals yesterday

Like every game notching a point or two. Playing well defensively as well

Hearing good chemistry with Hughes

Give him another chance

One of two things will happen...players identified as trade chips on Boston roster finally moved out so Cehlarik plays or Cehlarik is part of package out. I always believed Cehlarik would be part of the bruins but the young bottom 9 players have not helped with the trade process. GD is right, let's just hope he stays healthy, so far, so good.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Gemel Smith is a good addition to this team. He’s one of those top end AHL forwards who hustles on every shift and knows how to disrupt the the other team’s gameplan on both ends.

Johansson getting scrappier as time goes on. I still think he’s a season away from a callup but the physical progress is there.

Senyshyn is an enigma. He certainly got a few shots on net but boy he gets played off the puck way too easy for my liking.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Kinda feels like the organization thinks Fitz is a career AHL’er...or destined for another club ala Czarnik. But I hope they try to get something for him before he becomes a Czarnik. He’s leading providence in points and is a center yet never gets the call. So something is up there

Senyshyn I think needs to work on that strength, like Garbage said if he’s getting worked off the puck that is undoubtedly what management wants him to work on. They’ve likely had conversations about, your strength isn’t just for speed and getting to the net, you need to get under guys and win puck battles. Something he probably did more easily at his height and weight in the OHL and it’s an adjustment against all the size and grit in the American League

I don’t see his issues as any less than donato’s, but Donato has a year on him and was fortunate to come in the way he did (from school as opposed to from the juniors to the A) because he was able to show high end offensive ability during a time when the team is largely starved for offense waiting for young guys to get it (this team was totally spoiled with Pasta not only coming in so quickly but probably playing way above where scouts thought he would)

Reactions: LouisSleigher

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If Fitzgerald never gets called up here (I think he has to eventually) someone else is going to give him a chance. He will play in the NHL sometime in the next 2 years. He's got a better all around game than Czarnik too.

Reactions: veganbruin

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Kinda feels like the organization thinks Fitz is a career AHL’er...or destined for another club ala Czarnik. But I hope they try to get something for him before he becomes a Czarnik. He’s leading providence in points and is a center yet never gets the call. So something is up there

Senyshyn I think needs to work on that strength, like Garbage said if he’s getting worked off the puck that is undoubtedly what management wants him to work on. They’ve likely had conversations about, your strength isn’t just for speed and getting to the net, you need to get under guys and win puck battles. Something he probably did more easily at his height and weight in the OHL and it’s an adjustment against all the size and grit in the American League

I don’t see his issues as any less than donato’s, but Donato has a year on him and was fortunate to come in the way he did (from school as opposed to from the juniors to the A) because he was able to show high end offensive ability during a time when the team is largely starved for offense waiting for young guys to get it (this team was totally spoiled with Pasta not only coming in so quickly but probably playing way above where scouts thought he would)

Just an FYI, Fitzgerald has, in my estimation, played LW or RW for 90% of the time he's been in Providence. Szwarz is his usual center. I think Fitz's lack of foot speed has hurt his chances for a call-up.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Any word on if Vaakanainen is joining the team now that WJC has concluded?

BruinsNetwork

If Fitzgerald never gets called up here (I think he has to eventually) someone else is going to give him a chance. He will play in the NHL sometime in the next 2 years. He's got a better all around game than Czarnik too.

Czarnik is a catalyst on offense, Fitzgerald isn’t. Not that he’s a slouch, but he just doesn’t think the game at the same speed as Czarnik. Different players, though. I always picture Fitzgerald as a bottom-six grinder who can chip in offensively and make plays. Czarnik, always thought he’d be a good third-line center, especially with that shot of his, but it hasn’t turn out that way. Thought he was good at 3C in his brief moments with Boston, though, before he got hurt. Hasn’t played bad for Calgary, just not where I expected him to be.

Anyways, back on topic, Czarnik is a much better skater than Fitzgerald, who often lags behind the plays. He doesn’t have the advantage of size, as opposed to someone like Cehlarik, who isn’t that great of a skater either, but can mask it.

Fitzgerald deserves a look on merit and versatility alone at some point, IMO. However, I don’t think he’s going to be an above average player in the NHL.

Reactions: FanSince72

BruinsNetwork

Big fan of Cameron Hughes. He's 22-years-old and in his first, full year with Providence, but he's improving each game. Rarely makes the same mistake twice and has a ton of skill. He isn't ready yet, but really think he could be a third-line player in the NHL one day– he's strong enough down the middle to play center there, too, IMO. Most small, highly-skilled guys like him in the AHL struggle along the boards and in battles, but not Hughes. He can win battles and space even though he's a bit smaller than most. His height in fine at 5'11", but his weight is suspect as he's still rather slender. If he can continue improving every game and steadily overall, I think the Bruins have something here. Check back on him next year.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Mid Season Report Card Defense addition
Cody Goloubef , injuries bring his grade down along with mediocre defending,does move the puck well and his shot from the point is a precise weapon,played in 129 NHL games prior to coming to Providence. Mid season Grade C+
Connor Clifton ,admittedly not "Cliffy Hockey's" biggest fan,his freelancing drives me nuts but the kid has got a ton of talent,didn't look out of place in Boston either,he'd be a shrewd trade pick up from an organization that lacks top end D prospects,plays in all situations,has an edge,lots to like,he's NHL material. Mid Season Grade A-
Kyle Cumiskey, I don't know much about his back story other than he's had major injuries/surgeries that derailed his career a bit but he's been a solid addition and I would contend that the team plays better with him in the lineup,another one that's more offensive, Grade B-
Jakub Zboril , halfway through what I believe is a critical year in his development and he lost time due to a dirty hit... ugh , he's got the talent to be a NHL player,that can't be argued,he's his own worst enemy at times,was a bit overwhelmed during his call up,hopefully he takes better advantage next time but anyways I do like his defending,compete level is more consistent and he has a underrated offensive game,I do wonder if he's got more growth ahead or is this it.Grade B
Jeremy Lauzon, Solid defender,nice development curve,do wish there was a little more offensive from him down here but why be greedy,lets be honest he's just waiting for a spot to open in Boston so in the meantime he'll play big minutes. Grade A
Emil Johansson, The biggest upward mover from last year,the feisty Swede has started to put it all together,while not the biggest player he's more of the classic stay at home type the calmly goes about his business ,he's 22 and already has 5 pro years in,not the most offensively gifted of the group which brings his grade down a tad. Grade B
Chris Breen, The veteran brings an Adam McQuaid like presence on the back line ,eats minutes,blocks shots,a mainstay on the kill,tunes up the occasional foe,skating is poor, there's no offense to speak of but who cares ,you need a Lion to go with all of the Hummingbirds.Grade B
Joel Messner,Yes,I know he's back in Atlanta but he impressed me during his stay here,he kind of reminds me of K Miller,,did 4 years in College so he's a bit older than the other guys,played smart,didn't back down,played some big minutes when things were dire due to injuries and call ups,one to keep an eye on. Grade Incomplete
Wiley Sherman, he was the first prospect cut at camp,that's never a good sign but he's another one that made the most of his playing time,started off very shaky but slowly has adjusted his game to the realities of the AHL ,has a wing span like a Condor and can move the puck surprising well for someone his size,is mobile but gets burned with straight line speed. Stands up for teammates unlike some who pretend they didn't see it... Grade C+

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Seeing SE’s comments on Clifton makes me think some smart GM should have his scouts watch tapes of those games Clifton played with B’s closely. Given the circumstances he had every reason to be totally overwhelmed but handled it very well IMO.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Mid Season Report Card Defense addition
Cody Goloubef , injuries bring his grade down along with mediocre defending,does move the puck well and his shot from the point is a precise weapon,played in 129 NHL games prior to coming to Providence. Mid season Grade C+
Connor Clifton ,admittedly not "Cliffy Hockey's" biggest fan,his freelancing drives me nuts but the kid has got a ton of talent,didn't look out of place in Boston either,he'd be a shrewd trade pick up from an organization that lacks top end D prospects,plays in all situations,has an edge,lots to like,he's NHL material. Mid Season Grade A-
Kyle Cumiskey, I don't know much about his back story other than he's had major injuries/surgeries that derailed his career a bit but he's been a solid addition and I would contend that the team plays better with him in the lineup,another one that's more offensive, Grade B-
Jakub Zboril , halfway through what I believe is a critical year in his development and he lost time due to a dirty hit... ugh , he's got the talent to be a NHL player,that can't be argued,he's his own worst enemy at times,was a bit overwhelmed during his call up,hopefully he takes better advantage next time but anyways I do like his defending,compete level is more consistent and he has a underrated offensive game,I do wonder if he's got more growth ahead or is this it.Grade B
Jeremy Lauzon, Solid defender,nice development curve,do wish there was a little more offensive from him down here but why be greedy,lets be honest he's just waiting for a spot to open in Boston so in the meantime he'll play big minutes. Grade A
Emil Johansson, The biggest upward mover from last year,the feisty Swede has started to put it all together,while not the biggest player he's more of the classic stay at home type the calmly goes about his business ,he's 22 and already has 5 pro years in,not the most offensively gifted of the group which brings his grade down a tad. Grade B
Chris Breen, The veteran brings an Adam McQuaid like presence on the back line ,eats minutes,blocks shots,a mainstay on the kill,tunes up the occasional foe,skating is poor, there's no offense to speak of but who cares ,you need a Lion to go with all of the Hummingbirds.Grade B
Joel Messner,Yes,I know he's back in Atlanta but he impressed me during his stay here,he kind of reminds me of K Miller,,did 4 years in College so he's a bit older than the other guys,played smart,didn't back down,played some big minutes when things were dire due to injuries and call ups,one to keep an eye on. Grade Incomplete
Wiley Sherman, he was the first prospect cut at camp,that's never a good sign but he's another one that made the most of his playing time,started off very shaky but slowly has adjusted his game to the realities of the AHL ,has a wing span like a Condor and can move the puck surprising well for someone his size,is mobile but gets burned with straight line speed. Stands up for teammates unlike some who pretend they didn't see it... Grade C+

great stuff, bud. crushing it. question for you on johansson, as i haven't seen enough to say.
how would you compare his game to gryz right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad