TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I just got done watching Demon Slayer which I enjoyed for the most part. For a very fantastical plot, I enjoyed that there was some gravity to the actions and injuries that the characters sustained, although I say that and then realize that even so the MC had like 3 or 4 like 100 foot falls that he absorbed because of sword wooshing skill, and was also running around unlabored on a supposedly broken leg as well. Regardless I thought it was pretty well done. It seems like the studio is in some financial trouble or something when I was reading up on potential for future seasons of it. It looks like there was a sequel movie in place but that is now up in the air for a release date due to COVID. So, disappointing to say the least.

To the above I really enjoyed Violet Evergarden. I also recently tried to watch Avatar, I gotta be honest as loved as that show is I was expecting it to be great, and the first 10 or so episodes I watched are godawful. Can't get into that at all.

I just finished watching Naruto all the way through for the 2nd time. I really enjoyed watching the 2nd time through, cutting out the filler of course. The story I feel like, progresses really nicely when you do. I think the biggest lull in action/plot development, is right at the start of Shippuden progressing through getting to know Sai, and going to rescue Gaara. I thought that was the weakest part of the main story line all the way through from beginning to end. Once you get through that I feel like the story really takes off and is fairly enjoyable the rest of the way, removing filler of course.

I'm looking to start something else new shortly, although I feel like I am kind of out of date with what are the best shows out currently. My heyday for when I used to consume a ton of anime series was early to mid 2000's, when Naruto, Bleach, Black Lagoon, Code Geass, Eureka 7, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann etc. were all ongoing. Generally I'd prefer a darker themed show, with A+ animation. I'd prefer a completed series over a brand new series awaiting new seasons but I'm not totally against that either. And I don't really have a preference for a number of episodes to watch. If you have any suggestions I'd gladly welcome any. Thanks in advance

Also if anyone wants any suggestions from that era I can probably give a few!

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought it was a good serious that was made a bit awkward from the 'because Japan' factor. Like the setting is a pretty grounded fictional universe based loosely on a post-WWI Europe, except rather than "The Great War" it was just a big war between two nations. And in that framework the story works really well... but where does a super elite child soldier/killing machine come from? And why does she have robot arms? We can't even make robot arms and this is set with technology from a hundred years ago.

Oh wait I know why, because Japan :laugh:

So there's a bit of disconnect their between the lead character Violet Evergarden who would fit perfectly fine if this was something like a modernizing world of the Witcher where she could have Witcher mutations and the arms are magitech or something, and the actual setting which while it's a fictional world is completely grounded in Earthly realities. It was a good series but considering it was something you were supposed to take seriously that always kind of bugged me.
Yeah I was a bit confused when watching the anime because I really didn't understand what direction they were going to go. Like I get she was some sort of emotionless super solider, but I thought it was going to focus on her life starting anew and discovering all these feelings. Then we get like a two episode flashback of everything and I thought it brought the quality down. I mean I completely understand why they did the flashback sequence, but I don't think it needed it.Personally speaking, sure the show was made by Japanese people, but I always gathered that it was based in Europe similar to Re:Zero and Attack on Titan. I kind of see the technology sort of based on what happened in Naruto where they don't have any cars or trains, but they have electricity, cup of noodles, and in some episodes even TV lol (those might've been fillers though).

I'm looking to start something else new shortly, although I feel like I am kind of out of date with what are the best shows out currently. My heyday for when I used to consume a ton of anime series was early to mid 2000's, when Naruto, Bleach, Black Lagoon, Code Geass, Eureka 7, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann etc. were all ongoing. Generally I'd prefer a darker themed show, with A+ animation. I'd prefer a completed series over a brand new series awaiting new seasons but I'm not totally against that either. And I don't really have a preference for a number of episodes to watch. If you have any suggestions I'd gladly welcome any. Thanks in advance
Might not be your cup of tea, but I think the best shows coming out right now are rom-coms and don't think it is even close. Based on your description, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black, and Tokyo Ghoul are all right up your ally. Warning though, the subtitles on Psycho Pass are probably the hardest to watch on any show I've seen. Of those three, Psycho Pass is probably the best, but I think Darker than Black is my favourite. Tokyo Ghoul is good, but the storyline takes a back seat especially in the later seasons where it gets discombobulated.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah I was a bit confused when watching the anime because I really didn't understand what direction they were going to go. Like I get she was some sort of emotionless super solider, but I thought it was going to focus on her life starting anew and discovering all these feelings. Then we get like a two episode flashback of everything and I thought it brought the quality down. I mean I completely understand why they did the flashback sequence, but I don't think it needed it.Personally speaking, sure the show was made by Japanese people, but I always gathered that it was based in Europe similar to Re:Zero and Attack on Titan. I kind of see the technology sort of based on what happened in Naruto where they don't have any cars or trains, but they have electricity, cup of noodles, and in some episodes even TV lol (those might've been fillers though).

Might not be your cup of tea, but I think the best shows coming out right now are rom-coms and don't think it is even close. Based on your description, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black, and Tokyo Ghoul are all right up your ally. Warning though, the subtitles on Psycho Pass are probably the hardest to watch on any show I've seen. Of those three, Psycho Pass is probably the best, but I think Darker than Black is my favourite. Tokyo Ghoul is good, but the storyline takes a back seat especially in the later seasons where it gets discombobulated.

Darker Than Black is my wheelhouse, I really enjoyed that. I haven't seen Psycho Pass or Tokyo Ghoul, I'll check those out, thanks!

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

So I watched Tokyo Ghoul. Ok first off naming of new seasons different things is awful. So, I watched the first season, thought the 2nd season was Tokyo Ghoul: Re watched the 1st season of that. I knew I was missing pieces but thought it was an amnesia thing because of the way the first season ended. Realized in the last 2 episodes of season one of re the 2nd season of it is Ja but even after watching Ja then going and watching re2 the amnesia thing and memory skips and story being all over the place is all there no matter which order you watch it in. I enjoyed the animation and the general convoluted story that I could make sense of but they could have done that a lot better. Not disappointed I watched it or anything I appreciate the recommendation and enjoyed it for what it is just wish they had executed the plot and story better. The first season was by far the best. On to psycho pass

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Could try Dorohedoro; just came out on Netflix here. Likely on-going, though. Haven't watched it all but it's 12 episodes so I imagine they didn't dent the manga very much.
Kill la Kill (like 90% of the same staff as Gurren Lagann)
Fate/Zero (dark, A+ animation). Fate/Apocrypha has better animation but is also considerably dumber.
Devilman Crybaby (about as dark as it gets, A+ animation but also maybe a divisive style)
Baccano
Vinland Saga (anime Game of Thrones, ongoing)

For Bleach/Naruto shounen stuff (other than Demon Slayer) Hero Academia and Jojo's seem like the modern pillars. Other than One Piece, which will never end. Maybe something like Fire Force a tier below.

Underrated: Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront. Not really dark though.

Reactions: PALE PWNR

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina

Also if anyone wants any suggestions from that era I can probably give a few!
For more darker toned anime’s, I easily can recommend The Promised Neverland (Hulu, or Crunchyroll) is a great thriller/horror, I binged it in a day so it gets ya hooked. Ajin (Netflix) and Inuyashiki (Amazon Prime) are good dark action anime’s , but if you can’t deal with the 3D animation I don’t think you would like them, but honestly it didn’t bother me too much. Vinland Saga (Amazon Prime) is one of the better recent ones to come out recently, it’s a really good Vikings anime with really good animation and fight scenes and some really good antagonists in Askeladd and Thorkell. Some other ones that I’m not huge on, but they have good reception from others are Rise of the Shield Hero (Crunchyroll), and Goblin Slayer (Crunchyroll) their your fantasy type shows with some darker tones especially Goblin Slayer. :thumbu:

Reactions: PALE PWNR

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Back in high school when I was into anime, Berserk was always on my list but I never got around to watching it.

About 15 years later, this weekend, I saw that the "updated" Berserk Golden Age movies are on US Netflix. Gave all three a watch, finishing up the final movie last night.

Boy... that ending...

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Finally finished Death Note for the first time. Absolutley amazing series, I can see why it's considered to be in the top 3 of all time.

One thing that struck me was how much of a proto Breaking bad this show was.

Next up for me is Code Geass, then Gate after that. What are peoples opinions on these two?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
As somebody who thought Death Note was bad, Code Geass is a better version of it because even though it's also a complete train wreck it's at least slightly more self aware about it and just generally has more anime bullshit and giant robots.

Gate sucks. JSDF tire pumping by a far right author that they ultimately ended up using in real life for recruitment campaigns.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Didnt know they had an anime thread on hfboards. Nice to see. Anyone here fans of Full metal alchemist Brotherhood. It along with Avaar the last airbender are the two greatest animated (anime and cartoon) shows I've ever seen.

The plot, characters, lines, fights, twists, and ending were all perfect. I've watched it twice in the past year or so and enjoyed every second of it.

Mustang is a GOAT secondary/support character

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been watching a bit of random series here and there.

- Watched Violet Evergarden movie, not sure if they meant it but it was like watching a prolonged episode to me. I thought the first half was pretty boring, but the second half was great. Was a good movie in the end.

- Saw Angel Beats! again and still a quality anime. I don't like manga, but reading Heaven's Door right now and actually not liking it. Stupid plots, I want to know how these characters died damnit.

- Weirdly, I came across Kakegurui on Netflix and I have no idea what I got myself into. However, I did recently finish both seasons and actually enjoyed it. Then I found out that they made a live action version of it! :eek: So now I am watching that and still have no idea what I've gotten myself into. lol.

Didnt know they had an anime thread on hfboards. Nice to see. Anyone here fans of Full metal alchemist Brotherhood. It along with Avaar the last airbender are the two greatest animated (anime and cartoon) shows I've ever seen.

The plot, characters, lines, fights, twists, and ending were all perfect. I've watched it twice in the past year or so and enjoyed every second of it.

Mustang is a GOAT secondary/support character
Mate, not trying to be a douche, but everyone in this thread has watched Full Metal (and probably both versions).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Been watching a bit of random series here and there.

- Watched Violet Evergarden movie, not sure if they meant it but it was like watching a prolonged episode to me. I thought the first half was pretty boring, but the second half was great. Was a good movie in the end.

- Saw Angel Beats! again and still a quality anime. I don't like manga, but reading Heaven's Door right now and actually not liking it. Stupid plots, I want to know how these characters died damnit.

- Weirdly, I came across Kakegurui on Netflix and I have no idea what I got myself into. However, I did recently finish both seasons and actually enjoyed it. Then I found out that they made a live action version of it! :eek: So now I am watching that and still have no idea what I've gotten myself into. lol.

Mate, not trying to be a douche, but everyone in this thread has watched Full Metal (and probably both versions).

Ha your right I only read the 34th page of this thread but went backed and checked a few earlier pages and saw people discussing animes I've never heard of. With how highly FMAB is regarded everyones probably watched and discussed that already. You know any similar type of animes to FMAB? I love plot driven animes more than typical fight based ones. So far I've only watched about 8-9 full series and most of them are mainstream ones (inuyasha, bleach, naruto, fairytale, DB franchise, yuyu hakushu, yugioh, MHA)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ha your right I only read the 34th page of this thread but went backed and checked a few earlier pages and saw people discussing animes I've never heard of. With how highly FMAB is regarded everyones probably watched and discussed that already. You know any similar type of animes to FMAB? I love plot driven animes more than typical fight based ones. So far I've only watched about 8-9 full series and most of them are mainstream ones (inuyasha, bleach, naruto, fairytale, DB franchise, yuyu hakushu, yugioh, MHA)
Hunter x Hunter is modern day's version of Dragonball and is created by the bloke who also made Yu Yu Hakusho. HxH is fantastic and I know you'll like it. Another one you'd probably love is Attack on Titan, but I personally think its bad. Still I don't doubt its ability to be great at times. Fate/Zero and Fate/Unlimited Blade Works also fit your description, additionally, I would add Psycho Pass to your list as well.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hunter x Hunter is modern day's version of Dragonball and is created by the bloke who also made Yu Yu Hakusho. HxH is fantastic and I know you'll like it. Another one you'd probably love is Attack on Titan, but I personally think its bad. Still I don't doubt its ability to be great at times. Fate/Zero and Fate/Unlimited Blade Works also fit your description, additionally, I would add Psycho Pass to your list as well.
Have heard of HxH just never got a chance to watch it. Will check it out though I heard their are two versions and they dont have a proper conclusion/ending that aligns with the manga. Heard good stuff about Fate series from a friend will need to check it out. Never heard of Pysco pass but nust from the title seems pretty enticing. Thanks

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Have heard of HxH just never got a chance to watch it. Will check it out though I heard their are two versions and they dont have a proper conclusion/ending that aligns with the manga. Heard good stuff about Fate series from a friend will need to check it out. Never heard of Pysco pass but nust from the title seems pretty enticing. Thanks
Watch whatever the latest one is. It doesn't have a proper conclusion because the creator has health problems, I keep reading different things about it, but it is either back, anxiety problem, or a combination of both. He goes on hiatus quite a bit and why the anime won't ever return in the foreseeable future. I mean the manga is like 200 chapters or so in from where the anime ends, but he goes like four months pushing out chapters every week to two months of making nothing. That uncertainty definitely stops any potential anime for voice actors and production commitment time. However, the ending is still a very satisfying conclusion to the entire series and opens you up to the manga if you ever decided to carry on.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
14BBF668-5F04-46B7-9D2C-B3550B04504A.jpeg

“Don’t toy with me Miss Nagatoro San” is getting an anime, I’ve read up to the most current chapter of the manga. Story wise, it’s complete garbage, but Nagatoro is probably the next big waifu, I expect a ton of body pillows, figures, and other memorabilia to come soon when it releases. I’m kinda excited to see it get adapted I’m a fan of the art style, I knew it would get an anime eventually. I’m probably the only person on this forum who knows about this but I could be wrong so I’m sharing it, it’s a pretty popular manga.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Some updates,

- Finished Kakegurui and I admit that I kind of I liked it (gave me Kill la Kill vibes, but with poker), but I dropped the real life version of it. A big problem is that drawn characters with blonde hair, white hair, green eyes, and blue eyes just don't really translate all that well to acting when majority are played by Japanese actors and actresses.

- Rewatched Kaguya: Love Is War and even though it is a bit superficial, I actually like how it's done with like three mini episodes in each time slot. But, how all the episodes flow naturally into one another. It actually makes the thirteen episodes feel much longer and more satisfying to watch than the standard 24 minute standalones. I am very much looking forward to season two whenever that gets release. I actually think it's one of the most hilarious shows I've watched.

- Started rewatching SNAFU and I like it more than Kaguya, but it's also a bit more boring and talkative for my liking. I also think some of the characters are subjected to vanilla romcom characters and doesn't really do too much in exploring character's depth like other shows do even though some development does occur in season I and II. Still, I am looking forward to season III.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Okay so I binge-watched the hell out of Kaguya Sama season 2 after I found out that it was released this spring. Holy smokes, let me say that was one of the most enjoyable seasons I've watched in a very long time, I think it surpassed even Chihayafuru Season 3 for me.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Decided to finally catch up on Attack on Titan since season 4 is coming out soon, and man what the hell was that ending to season 3. Eren looked like such a shell of himself after they did the 1 year time skip, I actually felt so bad, the pressure is getting to him.

Can’t wait for Season 4

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This thread sort of died, but I wanted to bump it because this week will be the final episode to finish the entire Food Wars series. It was great run, but man oh man the last couple of seasons they rushed through da ting. Not that I disagree with it because you can't do the same type of food battles drawn out over and over again, however, I still think they rushed through some key moments. It might because they're following the manga closely, but this Blue Arc - for me - could've been two seasons in itself...yet all we get is 13 episodes with a lot of battles on fastforward. Again I am not truly mad because the anime was absolutely amazing, but still sad when a fantastic show ends.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad