TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I liked stuff like Avatar TLA, Legend of Korra, clone wars and rebels, is there something for me in anime ? I feel like there should be but I'm not sure where to start. I don't like to start in the middle of something, I need to watch it from the start. Is there anything on netflix that's good based on what I just said ?
If you're (trying to) getting into anime, the show to open you up to the world is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (don't watch the other versions)...then watch Cowboy Bebop, and after that Psycho Pass.

If you have Netflix, these are three things I highly recommend watching, if you haven't yet:

A Silent Voice
Violet Evergarden (plus the movie)
Toradora
These don't exactly follow your list shows @Sugar Domi , but these three are some of the best shows you can watch in the genre.

Reactions: Thundercracker

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Watched a decent amount of 2020 shows, so I’ll make a list and rate them from best to least best.

Smile Down the Runway 10/10 - Read a good bit of the manga before the anime came out and I just knew I would love it, amazing characters, and just a really feel good story throughout.

Re:Zero S2 Part 1 8/10 - I thought this was a better season than the 1st one, really getting to know Subaru and his character was very great to watch. Man, can’t wait for part 2.

Kaguya-Sama Love is War S2 8/10 - One of the best comedy’s in anime and it’s 2nd season was just more of the great characters we knew and loved.

Dorohedoro 8/10 - This is just craziness throughout, with tons of action, violence, and a lot of comedy. Also, this is one of those shows where you’ll like the villains more than the main characters.

Akudama Drive 8/10 - Jeez, I did not expect to like this show as much as I did, a super fun cyberpunk world with fun characters, and a crap ton of action.

Tonikawa: Over the Moon for you 8/10 - Really feel good anime to watch, it’s like one of my favorite anime’s “My Love Story” if only a certain character didn’t exist I would easily give this a 10/10, but what can ya do.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle 7/10 - I intentionally intended to skip this one, but after listening to a podcast talk about it I decided to give it a try, and man it’s absolutely hilarious. Really funny characters throughout and I’m hoping this gets a season 2.

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart 7/10 - I was excited for this one since the studio “feel.” was making it and they made one of my favorites in “Hinamatsuri” and man this show if you can deal with heavy fan service is really funny.

ID Invaded 7/10 - A really good mystery anime with a interesting mechanic that makes the series really interesting throughout. If you like Death Note or just mysteries in general you’ll like this show.

If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die 7/10 - Honestly the title alone made me interested to watch it, but it turned out a lot better than I expected. Also, really like the OP.

Princess Connect! Redive 7/10 - Another show that I didn’t start watching until way later, but I heard it was like “Konosuba” in ways so that alone made me interested. It doesn’t have as great of a cast like “Konosuba”, but it’s still really funny and has some great animation in their fight scenes.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! 7/10 - At first I wasn’t digging the show, but once all the characters grew up that’s when this show gets going. Some hilarious moments, and really good characters.

Arte 7/10 - This gave me some Violet Evergarden vibes which is my favorite anime, and Arte is such a easy character to root for throughout the series.

Somali and the Forest Spirit 7/10 - One of the most beautiful looking anime’s of all time, the world is amazing to go through and see all the environments and characters, and a feel good story to add on top of that.

Kakushigoto 7/10 - Another feel good story with a pretty funny premise of a dad who writes ero-manga and him constantly looking for ways to hide it from his daughter.

Sing “Yesterday” for Me 7/10 - I was loving this series throughout and then the last episode happened, it felt so rushed and made no sense why it happened, this series should’ve had at least a couple of more episodes to explain why that ending would happen. Hard to explain without spoiling but hey, other than that it was good but it dropped from a 9 to a 7 cause idk if I want to rewatch it now.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy 6/10 - An alright show with an overpowered main character, not a whole lot of tension due to that factor though, but it also has fun side characters and some good comedy.

In/Spectre 6/10
- I really liked the main characters, but man there is just so much dialogue that it really doesn’t have much other than that, hopefully in the 2nd season it won’t feel as dialogue heavy, but I like the characters and powers enough to enjoy the show.

Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang Out! 6/10 - Man I went into this with very low expectations, but it was actually a decent watch. The main guy in the show was actually pretty likable unlike a lot of shows where the main male protagonist is very boring.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! 6/10 - The animation is absolutely awesome in this anime, the only thing that brought it down slightly for me was I wasn’t too big on 2 of the main characters, they weren’t bad, but just not great.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear 5/10 - Like the bear costume, other than that it’s pretty meh (this will pretty much be all my reviews for 5/10 things)

Isekai Quartet S2 5/10 - A decent comedy I mean all the episodes are only about 12 minutes long.

Tamayomi 5/10 - Girls playing baseball, giant thighs, and awful CGI. It’s fine lol.

Gleipnir 5/10 - A cool premise, but the characters weren’t very good IMO and a terrible manga bait ending.

Neopara 5/10 - Not sure what I was expecting from a cat girl cafe anime lol.

Darwin’s Game 5/10 - 1st episode was good, but man it was just meh throughout after that.

The God of High School 4/10 - If you wanna anime about some awesome fights this is a great anime for you, but man the characters and story just were not good IMO. The three main characters “friendship” was so forced and out of no where.

BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense 4/10 - I just really got bored whenever I watched this, I mean it’s a VR game so there’s no tension for the main character, and I didn’t find it very funny, so it was just very below average.

Asteroid In Love 4/10 - I’m not into space or rocks so idk why I watched this. Just wasn’t for me but I’m sure some people who like science might enjoy it.

There are some anime’s I’m still watching like Jujutsu Kaisen, The Great Pretender, Higurashi (Gou), Adachi and Shimamura, and Ikebukuro West Gate Park. So I’ll add them once I’m finished with them even though two of them might take awhile since they’re 2 cours.

Reactions: S E P H

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My old lady and I have been watching The Devil is a Part-Timer on Funimation lately. I saw it a few years ago, and decided I'd show it to her, as she likes irreverant comedies. It's an admittedly stupid show, with an asinine plot, but it's funny and light-hearted enough.

I'm going to try to talk her into watching Mushi-Shi after this if I can keep her on an Anime roll.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

So far I've watched :
evangelion (it was ok, nothing special)
dorohedoro (again ok, nothing special)
attack on titan S1 + 1 episode of S2 (really liking it so far, this is exactly what I was looking for, watched all episodes with subs but would prefer dubs, haven't found them yet)

If you have Netflix, these are three things I highly recommend watching, if you haven't yet:

A Silent Voice
Violet Evergarden (plus the movie)
Toradora

I've checked the synopsis for these 3 and I didn't go for it. I've seen some rave reviews about a silent voice but those are not themes that I enjoy. I'm looking to relax and have a good time, disconnect from day to day. I especially am not interested if it's really sad or depressing. Perhaps I got the wrong idea from I could glean of these 3 shows though.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

So far I've watched :
evangelion (it was ok, nothing special)
dorohedoro (again ok, nothing special)
attack on titan S1 + 1 episode of S2 (really liking it so far, this is exactly what I was looking for, watched all episodes with subs but would prefer dubs, haven't found them yet)

I've checked the synopsis for these 3 and I didn't go for it. I've seen some rave reviews about a silent voice but those are not themes that I enjoy. I'm looking to relax and have a good time, disconnect from day to day. I especially am not interested if it's really sad or depressing. Perhaps I got the wrong idea from I could glean of these 3 shows though.

I'd recommend Gurren Lagann and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Both are on netflix). those are mostly silly fun watches.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Such an abundant isekai tour this season, I think it deserves a name. We should call it the Isekai Farewell Tour :sarcasm:

ps Space Dandy is awesome

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How did you lot who watched Re:Zero like the second season? I had a hard time getting past the first season due to the constant crying of the protagonist and I have no desire whatsoever to watch the second instalment, please tell me he's less annoying this time around?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If you're (trying to) getting into anime, the show to open you up to the world is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (don't watch the other versions)...then watch Cowboy Bebop, and after that Psycho Pass.

I started Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the first episode didn't hook me that much because I wasn't a big fan of the world building itself... but then I gave it another shot and I've finished it now and I enjoyed it because of the story and characters.

Right now I'm watching an anime made 15 years ago : Monster. It's a murder mystery. I like it so far after 4 episodes. It's on youtube even (not anywhere else that I know of). It's an ultra-realistic slow burn murder mystery involving a doctor. There are 74 episodes and it's concluded. Really good so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Just finished Demon Slayer S1. Pretty damn cool. Been a while since I couldn't put down an anime. Looking forward to the next season.
Changing pace and switching to K-On! next.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
How did you lot who watched Re:Zero like the second season? I had a hard time getting past the first season due to the constant crying of the protagonist and I have no desire whatsoever to watch the second instalment, please tell me he's less annoying this time around?

I love Re:Zero but there is more crying from him and about 3 more characters. There is some cool stuff this season with more backstory on some characters though.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Subaru becomes into one of the best main protagonists in the 2nd season IMO, but yeah your not alone on finding him annoying during the 1st season. The side characters are the best part in the 1st season, I mean Rem has probably become into one of the most liked anime characters of all time. I say stick with the series if your digging the whole premise of a guy who constantly dies and has to figure out how to save pretty much everyone.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Right now I'm watching an anime made 15 years ago : Monster. It's a murder mystery. I like it so far after 4 episodes. It's on youtube even (not anywhere else that I know of). It's an ultra-realistic slow burn murder mystery involving a doctor. There are 74 episodes and it's concluded. Really good so far.
I’m getting into that as well, I’m 14 eps in, and man that detective guy is becoming one of my favorite characters.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just watched S1 and S2 of Re: Zero and thought it was awesome, really interesting take on an isekai genre anime
I've watched like 16 episodes, just cause it's one of the few crunchy roll shows with a dub so I can watch it in the background (though I do watch it focused about half the time). It's pretty terrible.

But then I find overlord terrible too and people love that.

Isekai in general are godawful. The only one I've genuinely enjoyed is Evil Tanya, which may be my favorite anime of all time.
Just finished Demon Slayer S1. Pretty damn cool. Been a while since I couldn't put down an anime. Looking forward to the next season.

Changing pace and switching to K-On! next.
I liked this show so much I watched the sub then when it came on Netflix watched it from the start with the dub. Both are really good. I prefer zenitsu in the sub but like inosuke in the dub.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Subaru becomes into one of the best main protagonists in the 2nd season IMO, but yeah your not alone on finding him annoying during the 1st season. The side characters are the best part in the 1st season, I mean Rem has probably become into one of the most liked anime characters of all time. I say stick with the series if your digging the whole premise of a guy who constantly dies and has to figure out how to save pretty much everyone.
I really liked the ending to the first season during the whale hunt arc and I thought the show started off fantastic, but the mid-part of the first season was so effin' annoying. I don't mind crying, Your Lie in April is probably one of my top 3 animes of all time with a constant sobering protagonist, but Subaru took it to Simple Jack level bad. Rem was okay, I still prefer Emilia as the strong female lead.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I never watch anime, but my girlfriend wanted to watch a movie today called A Whisker Away. The movie and worldbuilding were pretty cool, but the main character is one of the weirdest I've seen in a movie. Wondering if that's just typical for this type of movie and I'm just not familiar with it or they actually were strange, lol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I never watch anime, but my girlfriend wanted to watch a movie today called A Whisker Away. The movie and worldbuilding were pretty cool, but the main character is one of the weirdest I've seen in a movie. Wondering if that's just typical for this type of movie and I'm just not familiar with it or they actually were strange, lol
I definitely recommend watching some Studio Ghibli; they're weird, but also extremely unique. It's on HBO Max if you have that, on Netflix they have some prime anime movies from other studios too such as The Silent Voice (considered one of the best), The Garden of Words (amazing animation), and Mary and the Witch's Flower (which is more of a weird one, but still good nonetheless).

But yeah, there's a lot of weirdness in a certain percentage of anime because it's a creative process normally based from manga (Japanese comics) and the artists/authors make their own storyboard, characters, and setting. Off the top of my head, FLCL and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are two of the most convoluted-what-the-eff-is-happening storylines, but hey it works since they have a pretty heavy North America following.

Last edited:

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I think a normal anime movie to watch is Perfect Blue, nothing strange about it at all.

Reactions: MMC

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
been binging HunterxHunter HARD lately, what should I watch when it's done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad