TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh wow they're doing Tower of God? I have no idea what goes on with these animation studios but with the Japanese manga->anime being a longstanding industry, and starting to see more Chinese manhwa(?) series getting animated (which I don't think has much appeal outside of the Chinese market), I've always wondered how long till you start seeing more Korean series get animated, which usually come in the form of 'webtoons'. Tower of God is kind of the Korean webtoon version of a Bleach/Naruto/One Piece... maybe the closest comparison would be something like a less complicated early version of Hunter x Hunter (pseudo-modern/futuristic, massive scale world, a focus on 'contests').

Really the point is though there's a lot of good Korean 'manga' stuff out there that just simply doesn't get consideration for animation because it's Korean, so I've always been interested in seeing that change. I guess there was that kind of Bleach-like vampire one a few years ago.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Series I will be watching seasonally:

Re Zero S2
Kaguya Sama S2
Brand New Animal

Will likely pick up at some point if the reviews are good/decent

Arte
Fugou Keiji
Appare-Ranman!
Yesterday wo Utatte
Listeners
Wave, Listen to Me!

Special Consideration

Kingdom (Anime adaption has been pretty bad for it but this one of the best arcs so curious to see how it will end up. Kingdom is one of my favourite manga)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sounds like Re Zero 2 production has been interrupted by Coronavirus and it's being pushed to summer.

Given how most anime production seems to work I would not be surprised if other shows see delays or interruptions.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Half way through season 2 of One Punch Man.

I love everything about this show. I require it to be injected straight into my veins from now until the end of time.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Watched Beastars today on Netflix. Still like the manga more, but I still really enjoyed the anime version. I worried about the CGI, but they did pretty good. Looking forward to season 2.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Finally decided to watch Shield Hero, and I thought it was pretty solid overall.
It was so damn satisfying when the Queen held a trial for her husband and daughter. Oh man I had to watch that particular scene a few times.

I've actually been in the mood to finally pick up a few other shows that I have neglected over the years, and with everything that is going on in the world right now this feels like a really good time to knock some shows out.

I'm thinking of finally watching Violet Evergarden next, and the only decent place that has it at the moment is Netflix it would appear. Guess I'll make a 30 day trial account to watch it :laugh:

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
You can buy gift cards and just put calculate the amount for a couple of months. Netflix charges by the amount of streams people are able to view at one time, so it it's just you I recommend the lowest price package.

Also big news,
The Bleach Anime Is Coming Back Next Year
If there appears to be quite a bit that I can't get anywhere else I maydo that.

To this day I still felt like Bleach should have ended with Aizen.
Not sure if I'll check this out or not but it's interesting to see that it's coming back.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To this day I still felt like Bleach should have ended with Aizen.
Not sure if I'll check this out or not but it's interesting to see that it's coming back.
No doubt, I read and watched the series after the Aizen arc about the substitute soul reaper and it was terrible. Don't know anything else after that as I stopped watching as well, but nothing will ever be able to match Aizen. It had such a satisfying build up, battle, and ending that it wasn't replicable. I will most definitely watch The Thousand Year War arc simply because Bleach was my entire high-school life.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Fiiiiinally got my girlfriend into Death Note after trying for a couple years. Got her 3 episodes in and she's absolutely hooked.

We've been cranking out a steady 3 episodes per day and we're around episode 17. She's invested mentally and emotionally already.

We just got to the point where Light and Misa have been released from confinement. She absolutely HATES Light and Misa and really loves L. She's already getting to see where this is going, as she recently asked me if Light is going to kill L and told me she's going to quit watching if L dies... Let's see if she's bluffing, lmao.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Just peering into this thread, I can't believe all the shows available that I've never heard of. Wonder what happened to the classics like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Definitely my go-to's back in the day, wonder if they still hold up today.

sephirothwillprevail

Apr 13, 2020
Hi everyone, i am a newbie here, but i have been reading your forum sparely, mostly Death Note fan and Naruto. I hope i post this at the right place, lately I am into anime gambling, I am looking to have some fun and not ruin my career. Everybody has a hobby, this is mine. I know it a sensitive topic, but if you have any nice anime gambling site that are legit, it will be greatly appreciated! So far I found this online anime slots and it seems nice. Do you know any other one? Thank you

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just peering into this thread, I can't believe all the shows available that I've never heard of. Wonder what happened to the classics like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Definitely my go-to's back in the day, wonder if they still hold up today.
You should cheque out Your Name or Your Lie in April if you have any interest heading back into it. I think it depends on the show; DBZ is pretty good for re-watches (still has a ton of starring, but it's quite manageable), Sailor Moon would be the best anime ever if they ever made a rated-R/TV-14 version in regards to violence (especially the dub is aimed towards overcoming difficulties for girls), and Pokemon is an absolute train-wreck of an anime to try and watch again (too many linear plots that do nothing to the overall storyline).

Reactions: qwerty

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rewatching Toradora! and I must say that watching it again really doesn't do this show justice. Unbelievably fun to watch with unique characters and interesting plot twists even if none of them are major or original to the anime genre. Binge watched like 90% of it in the last two days and honestly have no regrets not drawing it out due to how entertained I was. My heart would kill for a second season, but my brain knows that there shouldn't be anything else as it would feel tasteless.

Last edited:

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Watched the first few episodes of the new Ghost in the Shell: SAC. An alright story ruined by mind-numbingly bad CG animation. I'll grudgingly finish it off, but I hope this CG-style goes away fast.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been able to watch more shows lately and finished Violet Evergarden. Really weird premise for a show when I started watching it, but holy smokes does it work. I thought the series was amazing, but tailed off towards the end where the last handful of episodes became boring. Nevertheless, was a brilliantly produced considering the synopsis seemed like it would turn out to be boring. It had one of the best episodes I've watched in any show in a very long time with the sick mother and the child being too immature to grasp the situation, so she pestered the hell out of them.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Finished Death Note a while back, I watched it through twice before, but never finished it. I was not happy with the ending at all! Kinda wish I hadn't finished it, lol.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Been able to watch more shows lately and finished Violet Evergarden. Really weird premise for a show when I started watching it, but holy smokes does it work. I thought the series was amazing, but tailed off towards the end where the last handful of episodes became boring. Nevertheless, was a brilliantly produced considering the synopsis seemed like it would turn out to be boring. It had one of the best episodes I've watched in any show in a very long time with the sick mother and the child being too immature to grasp the situation, so she pestered the hell out of them.

I thought it was a good serious that was made a bit awkward from the 'because Japan' factor. Like the setting is a pretty grounded fictional universe based loosely on a post-WWI Europe, except rather than "The Great War" it was just a big war between two nations. And in that framework the story works really well... but where does a super elite child soldier/killing machine come from? And why does she have robot arms? We can't even make robot arms and this is set with technology from a hundred years ago.

Oh wait I know why, because Japan :laugh:

So there's a bit of disconnect their between the lead character Violet Evergarden who would fit perfectly fine if this was something like a modernizing world of the Witcher where she could have Witcher mutations and the arms are magitech or something, and the actual setting which while it's a fictional world is completely grounded in Earthly realities. It was a good series but considering it was something you were supposed to take seriously that always kind of bugged me.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad