TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Not sure if I consider card games a "sports", but I definitely added it to my cue on Crunchyroll - I just have a couple others I want to finish like Clannad and Toradora before watching Chiha.

Hype, nice to see it in your cue :)
Karuta is actually considered a sport in Japan.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I want to get into sports anime, but I really wish there were cooler sports in Japan's mainstream entertainment because I don't give a **** about basketball, volleyball, and baseball. Diamond no Ace seems like the most interesting on that list along with the cycling one (however, not sure how amazing that cycling anime is).

The one good thing about sports anime in my opinion that I find it usually doesn't matter if I care about the sport IRL you just go to buy into the aspect of competition, team building and growth.

Hajime no Ippo is a really good boxing anime one of the first sports anime I ever watched.

Reactions: S E P H

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
No doubt, which is why I watched them. FTR I had issues with No Game No Life, but it was far from the worst anime I have ever seen (which might be Gunslinger Girl, stopped watching that after the fourth or so episode). It was average, but holy **** Madhouse made it amazing - I did say in my review that it was definitely one of the best settings I've watched in a long time (up there with Hunter x Hunter).

Death Parade was also fantastic, but again I thought the show got really repetitive as the episodes kept following the same pattern. Not something that was too bad considering what Death Parade's setting and synopsis is about. However, as a viewer I could not wait until it was over when I got to the eighth episode. Still a quality anime every fan should watch at least once (that and it has one of the best openings for any anime).

Why do you dislike Knights? Not that everyone has to like it, but more curious to know.

Really? Why?

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Interesting timing. I literally just finished gushing about it in the "Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It" thread last night.

It's a masterpiece, IMO. Along with Cowboy Bebop, it's my favorite Anime and one of my favorite TV shows, period. Probably my favorite work related to the subject of sports/competition as well.

You rarely see a show so lean, economical, and densely packed (without ever feeling rushed) in such a short run-time. In terms of character development, managing expectations/pay-off, pacing, and aesthetic sensibilities, it's perfectly considered, IMO.

What I also find interesting about it is that the sport of Ping Pong is so compact and insulated that when you zoom into the movements and add symbolic creative effects around them, it tricks you into thinking it's exaggerated and made superhuman in the show, but the techniques and the way that games play out and feel are all actually pretty authentic and grounded.

I agree with everything said here, but i think Ping Pong the Animation even goes further than that. It's not a show about ping pong, it's a show about the people competing at the highest level. I've watched a handful of other sports anime, but Ping Pong the Animation is in a class of it's own. In 11 episodes, it manages to say more about the nature of competition than i have ever heard mentioned in the west. I could, and have, talk about those 11 episodes for hours.

It took me more than a year of preaching the wonders of Ping Pong to my social circle. That circle was formed through out common love of competition. This show, legitimately, surpasses any hype i can drum up for it. The only warning i can give, is that the show doesn't hold your hand. You're expected to keep up with names, and faces. It's honestly refreshing, especially in the medium of anime.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree with everything said here, but i think Ping Pong the Animation even goes further than that. It's not a show about ping pong, it's a show about the people competing at the highest level. I've watched a handful of other sports anime, but Ping Pong the Animation is in a class of it's own. In 11 episodes, it manages to say more about the nature of competition than i have ever heard mentioned in the west. I could, and have, talk about those 11 episodes for hours.

It took me more than a year of preaching the wonders of Ping Pong to my social circle. That circle was formed through out common love of competition. This show, legitimately, surpasses any hype i can drum up for it. The only warning i can give, is that the show doesn't hold your hand. You're expected to keep up with names, and faces. It's honestly refreshing, especially in the medium of anime.
Oh absolutely, I touched on a lot of the same stuff in the last TV show thread.

The way that you start off thinking it's going to focus on one guy, only to end up treating every major character he comes across (each representing diametrically opposed attitudes about competition) as every bit as much of a main character, and giving every tertiary character more of the spotlight than you expect is brilliant. Same with how it deceptively starts off with the premises of any other cliched Shounen only to repeatedly go "Here's how it can ACTUALLY be done well."

I also loved how it's understated/restrained and artistically tasteful while somehow retaining that upfront unapologetic on-the-noseness (repeatedly hammering home symbolism in kind of a fun dorky way) that you only really get with Anime.

I'm legitimately on the brink of tears every time I watch it and I find myself returning to that final stretch of episodes quite a bit (from about episode 5 onwards, it's like a relentless dopamine hit). It's just perfectly executed.

Also, people who complain about the art style being "ugly" absolutely infuriate me.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Perfect Blue is coming to Blu-Ray in March.

Perfect Blue - Blu-ray/DVD | Shout! Factory

Also, new poster for a new movie from Makoto Shinkai.

nlf34se7m0421.jpg

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
The one good thing about sports anime in my opinion that I find it usually doesn't matter if I care about the sport IRL you just go to buy into the aspect of competition, team building and growth.

Hajime no Ippo is a really good boxing anime one of the first sports anime I ever watched.

This. I do not care about basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc but man I do love me these sports anime.

Still definitely worth giving a shot if you are interested in trying one out.

Reactions: S E P H

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Oh absolutely, I touched on a lot of the same stuff in the last TV show thread.

The way that you start off thinking it's going to focus on one guy, only to end up treating every major character he comes across (each representing diametrically opposed attitudes about competition) as every bit as much of a main character, and giving every tertiary character more of the spotlight than you expect is brilliant. Same with how it deceptively starts off with the premises of any other cliched Shounen only to repeatedly go "Here's how it can ACTUALLY be done well."

I also loved how it's understated/restrained and artistically tasteful while somehow retaining that upfront unapologetic on-the-noseness (repeatedly hammering home symbolism in kind of a fun dorky way) that you only really get with Anime.

I'm legitimately on the brink of tears every time I watch it and I find myself returning to that final stretch of episodes quite a bit (from about episode 5 onwards, it's like a relentless dopamine hit). It's just perfectly executed.

Also, people who complain about the art style being "ugly" absolutely infuriate me.

It has had a profound effect on my life, and how i approach competition. It's my job to get better, because it will make my friend's better. Together we can fly to places unseen.

The art style is pure genius. It proves that being dumb on purpose is not the same as ignorance. This will sound pretentious, but the art style kind of serves as a barrier-of-entry. If you're not ready to accept the art style for what it is, you're not ready to receive the messages they are trying to convey.

Again, i could talk for hours about this show. It's one of 3 pieces of media that i consider absolute world-class, pure genius that is the .0001% of the 1%. But, im preaching to the choir. If anyone else reads this, this show has the ability to change the way you see not only competition, but your everyday life. This is not a show you throw on. This is a show where you plan a month in advance to get your bros and intoxicants of choice, and man the f*** up for four and a half hours. Worth all the effort and then some.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really? Why?
The protagonist was beyond boring, the storyline was boring, and just how they produced the episodes made it almost unwatchable for me. When you read the synopsis, you're like "wow this actually sounds pretty damn awesome as a Ghost in the Shell influenced show", but it is none of those things.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It really sucks when you fall in love with a show and finally come to the end of it. That's what happened with me and Toradora earlier in the week. I had a feeling probably half way in the show that was how the couples ended up, but even with that I fully enjoyed it. I was semi-pissed off at the end because if you think about, some of those characters were entirely pointless (such as the model chick). However, with more time to digest the more I am starting to understand that they weren't pointless, but had unique circumstances.

The model chick, I think her name is Ami, for instance played a big part in my change of opinion. Everyone saw her as the very nice mature popular girl, but the protagonist saw her as the immature child where she wanted people to find the "real her". Because of that she fell in love with Ryuji even if he never loved her or knew her love for him. The original manga artist absolutely and accurately pinpointed certain parts of love, some times in fairy-tale endings where the guy gets the girl he is meant to be with. Nonetheless, not everyone has that happy-ending and it was nice to see another side of that - her and the baseball player never ever find love. Also, that Orange ending has some of the most depressed lyrics I've heard in an anime, which makes the song awesome considering it's sung by the vocal pitch of 13 year old girls. Such a different contrasting elements, but it really works and it is my favourite current song. Definitely 8.5 out of 10 for me for the entire show. Will definitely rewatch it in the future.

@oil Leaks I started Chihayafuru and man I am absolutely loving it. Not sure if I buy it as a "sports anime", I consider it along the lines of Food Wars for me, but holy smokes it is a beautiful anime. I thought it was going to be just simply superficial with just a couple of characters finding their way in that Pokemon card game universe, but man was I wrong...big time.

There are a ****ton of human emotions and complex situations that these characters have to deal with. Arata having to move away to be closer with his grandpa, Chihaya having to play constant second fiddle to her more popular model sister, and Taichi having to deal with The Breakfast Club crazy sports parent where he has to win every single event ever (plus I think he's starting to develop feelings for Chihaya since she's "hot" now).. Like this **** gets hardcore, a bit too much crying for me at times, but it is manageable (where Re:Zero was not).

For this reason, I actually think it is a human emotions anime where all three central characters share a common aspect of playing Pokemon cards than I consider it a Pokemon card anime that has certain human problems in it. Perhaps I am wrong, but thus far that is how I see the anime. Question, is that a real card game that the show is based off of? Man, you'll need IQ, speed, skill and critical thinking to succeed, seems very tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: oil Leaks

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
The anime first and magna second.

Unless you thought I meant the characters, then the answer is Escanor. Because HE decided so.

I think he was talking about the other show based on naughty statues that got renamed Seven Mortal Sins when it was brought over to the states. :)

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Haikyuu!! The boys are back. I'm so hype. Season 4, baby!
@oil Leaks[/USER] I started Chihayafuru and man I am absolutely loving it. Not sure if I buy it as a "sports anime", I consider it along the lines of Food Wars for me, but holy smokes it is a beautiful anime. I thought it was going to be just simply superficial with just a couple of characters finding their way in that Pokemon card game universe, but man was I wrong...big time.

There are a ****ton of human emotions and complex situations that these characters have to deal with. Arata having to move away to be closer with his grandpa, Chihaya having to play constant second fiddle to her more popular model sister, and Taichi having to deal with The Breakfast Club crazy sports parent where he has to win every single event ever (plus I think he's starting to develop feelings for Chihaya since she's "hot" now).. Like this **** gets hardcore, a bit too much crying for me at times, but it is manageable (where Re:Zero was not).

For this reason, I actually think it is a human emotions anime where all three central characters share a common aspect of playing Pokemon cards than I consider it a Pokemon card anime that has certain human problems in it. Perhaps I am wrong, but thus far that is how I see the anime. Question, is that a real card game that the show is based off of? Man, you'll need IQ, speed, skill and critical thinking to succeed, seems very tough.

Really glad you enjoying it, Chihayafuru is hype x1000. Karuta is a real card game and the show is based on more so the competitive aspects of karuta. Taichi is one of favorite my characters in the show, but Arata though.
Competitive karuta - Wikipedia

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Finally finally watching the classic Ranma 1/2. Been wanting to for a long time and just forgot it was on Hulu. Exactly the kind of the show I wanted to watch here and there.

That was always my favourite 90's anime growing up, alongside Slayers. It's been a while but unfortunately from what I recall the animation quality starts to drop by the 5th or 6th season and the series kind of peters out from there with the series ending without reaching the manga's final end point.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
That was always my favourite 90's anime growing up, alongside Slayers. It's been a while but unfortunately from what I recall the animation quality starts to drop by the 5th or 6th season and the series kind of peters out from there with the series ending without reaching the manga's final end point.

Slayers is another one I missed out during that time.

Sad to hear about that but I should be able to stick with it unless it's a drastic drop off. Speaking of 90's anime, weren't we supposed to be getting new Tenchi Muyo and Yu Yu Hakusho stuff?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Haikyuu!! The boys are back. I'm so hype. Season 4, baby!

Really glad you enjoying it, Chihayafuru is hype x1000. Karuta is a real card game and the show is based on more so the competitive aspects of karuta. Taichi is one of my characters in the show, but Arata though.
Competitive karuta - Wikipedia
Yeah dude, I actually had to YouTube it and it is no joke. Madhouse did an insane job with the amount of accuracy in the show from all the aspects that come with the game in real life (the rules, the cards, the poetry, the setting). I was quite impressed by how fast they are in real life. I randomly clicked a game and it turned out to be a championship game involving a Queen and holy smokes they strike with intent to kill.

On the topic of animation companies....there are other production companies which are good, but going from Madhouse to something like Toei Animation is just terrible. Toei is such a second rate company which sucks because they have a lot of shows I quite like that are absolutely destroyed by how cheap it is produced.

Reactions: oil Leaks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad