TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Some are a couple episodes in now and also started a few others from this season.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
(That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime)
4f23c2c081a66aa24e46111f492c0b951535172005_large.jpg

First episode was definitely weird at first but once you understand what was going on it was good and I actually enjoyed it. After watching the second and the OP it definitely seems like I will be into this. Sticking with it.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai
(Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai)
tumblr_pg2dqjGQBy1tuv9mvo4_1280.jpg

Two episodes in as well. Really enjoying the dynamic between the two main characters and I'm into the mystery of the story so far. Sticking with it.

Goblin Slayer
93415.jpg

Second episode is out tomorrow I think. Like I said before, first episode is really dark. Will be interesting to see how the rest of it will compare to that. Watching for now.

Golden Kamuy 2. Check out season 1 if you haven't.

Hinomaru-Zumou
(Hinomaru Sumo)
220px-Hinomaru_Zum%C5%8D%2C_Volume_1.jpg

Sumo anime. Yup. Didn't think I would be able to get into Yowamushi Pedal but I totally did. After reading someone I follow on social media say she's read the manga a bit and like the first episode I decided to check it out. Yup I dig it. As someone who has seen a few sports anime now, I enjoyed the first episode. Will continue to watch.

Radiant
95345.jpg

1 episode in so far. Based of a French comic. Seems like your typical Shonen type. I did like the first episode though unlike the more recent Black Clover. Will check out the next episode or two and see if it holds.

SSSS.GRIDMAN
dm9sgecu4aabtwk.jpg

The next show produced by Studio Trigger. I like the animation and some parts of the story I seemed to enjoy, but I got a early early Voltron kids type vibe and not sure I enjoyed it. Will give it another episode.

Karakuri Circus
circus.jpg

A late sleeper! I must not have read this one at all when going through the AniChart some weeks back. Heard a friend of mine watched the first episode yesterday and on a whim I just went to it and watched the first episode.

Really enjoyed it. Manga was published in Weekly Shonen and seems like there is gonna be some cool fights with crazy deadly puppets. Will be watching.

Only simulcasting on Amazon Prime I think. Can't really do anything else at the moment for ones not on Crunchy.

Pretty good season of shows! Might check out another one or two at some point but this is what I got so far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been watching Tokyo Ghoul after finishing Noragami and all I can say is that it's absolutely insane while being fantastic at the same time.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
For some reason, Tokyo Ghoul never interested me.

I've been reading through The Rising of the Shield Hero and goddamn it's good. Apparently it's gonna be an anime next year, so that should be good.

I'm behind on most of the shows from this season as I've been quite busy with packing and moving stuff. Liking this season way more than last season.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah, I didn’t know what I was going into with Goblin Slayer. It caught me off guard.

Thought it was going to be something like Grimgar of Fantasy of Ash and shows like that. Nope.

I’m excited for the Spring season:

Mob Pyscho 100 s2
Attack on Titan (season 3/4???)
One Punch Man s2
My Hero Acadmia s4

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Regarding to the conversation couple of pages/months ago, Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z IMO.

Finished MHA a couple of days ago. It just keeps entertainin me. Gotta start to watch newest AoT season soon.

And by the way, I'm at episode ~820 of One Piece currently. I've slowed my pace a lot but still watching few episodes every now and then. Even tho Dressrosa was very good, it was so damn long that I was all out of juice for a while.

Reactions: S E P H

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I have been watching Saga of Tanya the Evil recently its pretty good magic World War I has been tons of fun. I have also been in the long process of watching the UC Gundam timeline. Finished 0079, Thunderbolt, MS Team, Stardust Memory, Origin (also have started collecting the manga) and have begun now on Zeta.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
So guys I need help/recommendations for my next anime to watch...

- Is Attack on Titan really that good? I've only watched like 15 minutes at most of the show and I keep hearing how "it's effin amazingz" from people all around.

- I started Stein's Gate last night, but not sure it's an anime for me. It was really weird with all this strange dialogue about him sending messages from the future I guess. What type of anime is it? Like is there action? Or is it more like Full Metal Panic!, that there is some, but is more about interactions more than anything? Should I stick around with this show after the first episode?

- What the hell happened with Devil is a Part-timer? I thought this anime came out like in 2015 or 2016 the earliest and I saw yesterday that it was released all the way back in 2013 and no second season? Are you kidding me? They finished a solid anime with that type of ending?

Late comment but regarding AOT as a guy who has now read the manga that story gets progressively better over time. Really enjoy the development especially for a certain character. Honestly the anime has yet to adapt the two best arcs.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I have been watching Saga of Tanya the Evil recently its pretty good magic World War I has been tons of fun. I have also been in the long process of watching the UC Gundam timeline. Finished 0079, Thunderbolt, MS Team, Stardust Memory, Origin (also have started collecting the manga) and have begun now on Zeta.

How was Thunderbolt? I still have a bit to watch of the UC timeline

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
How was Thunderbolt? I still have a bit to watch of the UC timeline
Animation wise its really good. The benefit of just making a 4 episode OVA really like the character designs as well. Character wise I feel the federation characters aren't really that interesting didn't hate them but just were okay. The Zeon pilot though is really interesting seeing all the trauma he has been through. The series really excels in the fights and calm before the storm moments.

The manga is still going and the anime has left off on a big cliffhanger so I hope we will see the rest of it get adapted.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I didn’t know what I was going into with Goblin Slayer. It caught me off guard.

Thought it was going to be something like Grimgar of Fantasy of Ash and shows like that. Nope.

I don't know how it's generally perceived but I don't know what to think of Goblin Slayer. It wants to be a gritty fantasy like Grimgar and is in some ways, but that opening is just tainted with smut - same thing happens in the manga but it's drawn much more provocatively, which is just kind of disgusting. It borrows from a sub genre of Japanese fantasy which is probably best described as incel power fantasy - a bright eyed optimistic adventurer party consisting of 1 'Chad' hero, multiple 'Stacey' party members... and then bad things happen. Not sure how big this sub genre is but I've wandered into it a couple times and just do the Grandpa Simpson hat meme thing.

As far as I know it only plays that card in the opening and it normalizes a bit after, the interesting party members you have now I'm pretty sure are sticking around for the long haul, but the main characters shtick is so over done it becomes kind of a caricature. So we'll see where it goes but personally I think if they gave the lead a bit more character and dropped the smut it could be a great series, but as is that's kind of holding it back in my opinion.

For the fantasy selections this season the Slime one has the common problem of this type in that it's not really going anywhere but is otherwise enjoyable fun, and I'm rather liking the new Sword Art Online - seems like with the setup problems from prior seasons are simply going to be absent. I'm liking both better than Goblin Slayer to start.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I am on the tail-end of catching up with Tokyo Ghoul and I think the show gets way worse during the seasons of "Re:". Pretty much nothing happened during the two previous seasons and then half of the characters die in like two random episodes, nonsense.

Disappointing in the direction they took the show, even if I deem it an acceptable anime worth watching.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
1. Just saw Devilman Crybaby and liked it alot. Masaaki Yuasa is arguably the best working showrunner right now, IMO, Anime or otherwise.
2. Dragonball > Dragonball Z. They're both oddly and unapologetically charming for what they are, despite doing a lot of things that really bad shows usually do.
3. Attack on Titan is typical Anime-style tripe combined with typical Western-drama-style tripe. Alot of people love it, but it's mostly just a really manipulative time-waster that is only interested in stringing you along from cliffhanger to reveal to cliffhanger. I think it kind of sucks.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
3. Attack on Titan is typical Anime-style tripe combined with typical Western-drama-style tripe. Alot of people love it, but it's mostly just a really manipulative time-waster that is only interested in stringing you along from cliffhanger to reveal to cliffhanger. I think it kind of sucks.

It's Michael Bay anime. Fun set pieces and usually well produced (until late in every season where the studio animating it always seems to fall apart) but generally stupid. The audience figures things out way before any of the characters do and then we have to sit there and wait for them to catch up.

Also, you know, that whole thing about it being heavily influenced by Nazi/imperialist philosophy--though it remains to be seen which side it's going to come out on.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Some are a couple episodes in now and also started a few others from this season.

Tensei ****ara Slime Datta Ken
(That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime)
4f23c2c081a66aa24e46111f492c0b951535172005_large.jpg

First episode was definitely weird at first but once you understand what was going on it was good and I actually enjoyed it. After watching the second and the OP it definitely seems like I will be into this. Sticking with it.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai
(Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai)
tumblr_pg2dqjGQBy1tuv9mvo4_1280.jpg

Two episodes in as well. Really enjoying the dynamic between the two main characters and I'm into the mystery of the story so far. Sticking with it.

Goblin Slayer
93415.jpg

Second episode is out tomorrow I think. Like I said before, first episode is really dark. Will be interesting to see how the rest of it will compare to that. Watching for now.

Golden Kamuy 2. Check out season 1 if you haven't.

Hinomaru-Zumou
(Hinomaru Sumo)
220px-Hinomaru_Zum%C5%8D%2C_Volume_1.jpg

Sumo anime. Yup. Didn't think I would be able to get into Yowamushi Pedal but I totally did. After reading someone I follow on social media say she's read the manga a bit and like the first episode I decided to check it out. Yup I dig it. As someone who has seen a few sports anime now, I enjoyed the first episode. Will continue to watch.

Radiant
95345.jpg

1 episode in so far. Based of a French comic. Seems like your typical Shonen type. I did like the first episode though unlike the more recent Black Clover. Will check out the next episode or two and see if it holds.

SSSS.GRIDMAN
dm9sgecu4aabtwk.jpg

The next show produced by Studio Trigger. I like the animation and some parts of the story I seemed to enjoy, but I got a early early Voltron kids type vibe and not sure I enjoyed it. Will give it another episode.

Karakuri Circus
circus.jpg

A late sleeper! I must not have read this one at all when going through the AniChart some weeks back. Heard a friend of mine watched the first episode yesterday and on a whim I just went to it and watched the first episode.

Really enjoyed it. Manga was published in Weekly Shonen and seems like there is gonna be some cool fights with crazy deadly puppets. Will be watching.

Only simulcasting on Amazon Prime I think. Can't really do anything else at the moment for ones not on Crunchy.

Pretty good season of shows! Might check out another one or two at some point but this is what I got so far.

Alright well I am still pretty much watching all of these except for Radiant. I am a couple behind on Karakuri Circus just because it's on Amazon and not Crunchy.

But man, all of the others are solid with the exception of Goblin Slayer being a little slow but I don't mind that as much. Slime and Bunny Girl Senpai I am really enjoying though.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
1. Just saw Devilman Crybaby and liked it alot. Masaaki Yuasa is arguably the best working showrunner right now, IMO, Anime or otherwise.
2. Dragonball > Dragonball Z. They're both oddly and unapologetically charming for what they are, despite doing a lot of things that really bad shows usually do.
That one scene near the end of Devilman Crybaby will haunt me forever.

I never really jumped on the AoT hypetrain and I thought the first couple of seasons were good, but as the mystery of the titans unravels, the story becomes a lot less interesting since it turns out they're basically just magic biotic mechs.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I appreciate Bunny Girl starting with a line straight out of Bakemonogatari. At least they're aware.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I appreciate Bunny Girl starting with a line straight out of Bakemonogatari. At least they're aware.

It’s so good.

I figured I would like Bakemonkgatari but haven’t gotten the chance to watch it yet. Also need to look up the order of which Monogatari to watch I think

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It’s so good.

I figured I would like Bakemonkgatari but haven’t gotten the chance to watch it yet. Also need to look up the order of which Monogatari to watch I think

Anime and book orders are pretty different so there's a few ways to do it, tbh.

latest

The least annoying way to do it is probably just airing order but with the Kizu movies 2nd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad