TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
A bit late to the party but I just finished Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai. Incredibly good, definitely my favourite anime of the season (Fall 2018 IIRC). Movie sequel should come out later this year.

Reactions: oil Leaks

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
A bit late to the party but I just finished Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai. Incredibly good, definitely my favorite anime of the season (Fall 2018 IIRC). Movie sequel should come out later this year.

I loved Bunny Senpai as well, one of my favorite shows last year. Also really excited about the upcoming film.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Tate no Yuusha: So much for this one...Show went downhill as soon as he adopted a daughter.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
A bit late to the party but I just finished Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai. Incredibly good, definitely my favourite anime of the season (Fall 2018 IIRC). Movie sequel should come out later this year.

I loved Bunny Senpai as well, one of my favorite shows last year. Also really excited about the upcoming film.

Yup one of my favorites as well. Just loved the character interactions and dialogue.

Tate no Yuusha: So much for this one...Show went downhill as soon as he adopted a daughter.

Thought it was a good ep ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Not sure what your specific problem with it would be but that's not actually what's going on. I wouldn't really consider this a spoiler as it shows it in the opening, and if you pay attention it's apparent by the end of the episode, the author puts a plot mechanic in pace to quickly age her up.

You should be able to see what I mean though that the story tries to be edgy, but doesn't go too deep down that rabbit hole so still remains enjoyable to me. Maybe the best way to look at it is while it's still a fantasy the author dabbles with infusing a little bit of real world psychology (depression, paranoia, PTS, narcissism, etc) into the mix.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Yeah I’m going to see the Broly movie tonight so stoked.

Neverland ep 2 was great. I’m gonna feel so tensed every episode they really do that part great. The music is really good too.. I know I’m going to end up catching some feels with this show.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Not sure what your specific problem with it would be but that's not actually what's going on. I wouldn't really consider this a spoiler as it shows it in the opening, and if you pay attention it's apparent by the end of the episode, the author puts a plot mechanic in pace to quickly age her up.

You should be able to see what I mean though that the story tries to be edgy, but doesn't go too deep down that rabbit hole so still remains enjoyable to me. Maybe the best way to look at it is while it's still a fantasy the author dabbles with infusing a little bit of real world psychology (depression, paranoia, PTS, narcissism, etc) into the mix.
Protag is wronged and is angry and wants to get revenge. OK cool, off to a good start. He then goes and buys the weakest possible slave who also has PTSD. But get this: He treats her really nice and not like a slave! My eyes rolled into the back of my head watching that cliche occur. Tired of these tropey-ass shows that try to fool the audience into thinking the protagonist walks the line of morality when their actions show they're 99% good and pure-hearted.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
You should’ve seen this coming back in the first episode when he ended up paying back that shopkeep. What a goodie goodie. Couldn't believe it. They tricked me.

They didn’t make him into a Light/Lelouch in the first episode or anything like that and then change him. He seemed like he most good one out of other heroes so I don’t think they tried to fool anyone. Just doesn’t seem like his character isn’t what you would like it to be after 2 episodes

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Protag is wronged and is angry and wants to get revenge. OK cool, off to a good start. He then goes and buys the weakest possible slave who also has PTSD. But get this: He treats her really nice and not like a slave! My eyes rolled into the back of my head watching that cliche occur. Tired of these tropey-ass shows that try to fool the audience into thinking the protagonist walks the line of morality when their actions show they're 99% good and pure-hearted.

Yeah he goes through angry revenge moves but is ultimately "good and pure-hearted". Only thing I'd add in it's defense is that with all the tropey garbage out there taking a quick look up the web novel (those I've never been able to get into) for this was started in 2012, and the manga running for over 4 years, so rather than just another imitator it's actually one of the original sources for this current trend.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I like how somebody's problem with a show is "he treated his slave too nicely" and not "yo this protagonist owns f***ing slaves."

Show seems bad.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Yeah he goes through angry revenge moves but is ultimately "good and pure-hearted". Only thing I'd add in it's defense is that with all the tropey garbage out there taking a quick look up the web novel (those I've never been able to get into) for this was started in 2012, and the manga running for over 4 years, so rather than just another imitator it's actually one of the original sources for this current trend.
Fair enough. It's just annoying seeing the general lack of creativity in the anime industry.
I like how somebody's problem with a show is "he treated his slave too nicely" and not "yo this protagonist owns ****ing slaves."

Show seems bad.
Which is why I made the joke that he adopted a daughter rather than bought a slave.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Which is why I made the joke that he adopted a daughter rather than bought a slave.

Which is what I'm making fun of. :rolly:

Yeah he goes through angry revenge moves but is ultimately "good and pure-hearted". Only thing I'd add in it's defense is that with all the trope garbage out there taking a quick look up the web novel (those I've never been able to get into) for this was started in 2012, and the manga running for over 4 years, so rather than just another imitator it's actually one of the original sources for this current trend.

Ah, this stuff's been going for over a decade. Even Dog Days was like 8 years ago now. ZnT started in like 2004.

Just watch Twelve Kingdoms and call it a day.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Which is what I'm making fun of. :rolly:

Ah, this stuff's been going for over a decade. Even Dog Days was like 8 years ago now. ZnT started in like 2004.

Just watch Twelve Kingdoms and call it a day.

The general genre is quite old, you can probably go back even farther than Twelve Kingdoms, but between series like 12K, El Hazard, ZnT, etc, it was always a slow trickle. At some point in the last few years there's been a massive explosion of the "isekai" (other world?) genre that all draw from a very small pool of similar themes and mechanics.

I don't know the specific details here but all I'm saying as someone who's been a long time reader of fantasy manga is that it's my impression that Shield Hero for good or ill was one of the pioneers of this specific flavour of fantasy before it really took off. The big gap in my knowledge though is I've never gotten into the 'web/light novels' where they all tend to originate from.

And with the massive popularity the industry has vomiting out just streams of complete garbage. I mean there's even one that features a Vladimir Putin knock off called the Ride on King... and it's actually one of the better ones :laugh:

Alexander Purchinov is president for life of the country of Pursia, a country ruled by violence and the influence of its government. Alexander always desires to be dominant, and "ride" things, whether literally or figuratively. Now that he has already ridden his country, his next target is a fantasy world that has orcs, wyverns, and centaurs.

<-- again, one of the better ones :help:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For how amazing HxH is, the Chimera Ants arc has to be one of the worst I've seen in any anime. Overproduction of characters leading to zero creative designs, majority of them unrealistically overpowered, and useless characters brought in just to die (like Kite which still pisses me off to no end). Not only that, but it has an absurd plot, has very strange moral delimmas', and is just a time waste.

Now with all that said, I just got to the birth of the King and if I recall from my first viewing of the anime the last ten or so episodes to finish the arc are unbelievable. For how bad the arc is, the ending is simply fantastic and the reason why I am pushing myself through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I've been watching a lot of Legend of Galactic Heroes lately. Damn it's a good show :laugh: Watched around 55 episodes so far. Halfway through!

One Piece update: almost 850 episodes done.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lots of Fate/Apocrypha animators working on this latest Mob episode.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So lads I finished my rerun of Hunter and Hunter, and I still fully enjoyed it. There are some parts I still quite dislike, the Chimera Ant arc is way too long (way too much narration) and the Killua/Alluka is just not believable in certain parts. I've started the manga and so far absolutely enjoying it even though they haven't sailed out to the Dark Continent yet.

After HxH, I binge watched a random show called Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. Not sure I understand the name of the show since it's based upon a 30 second sequence. However, the show was really well done. I thought I was getting another Toradora type, but it reminded me much more of Stein's:Gate instead. Still was a fantastic show and can't wait for the movie this June.

Now I started watching that Volleyball show, so far not bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->