TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
I'm fond of Death note. I like that the characters don't wear the same clothing every episode, it is entertaining for both kids and adults, it has a mature realistic vibe to it, it's not to long or to short, and I love the soundtracks. Also it's one of the few animes that I think sound better in English

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still need to watch the first season. I've maybe watched the first 3 episodes? I enjoyed them but forgot to go back.

Also, the Fall 2018 season was one of the better ones of late, especially because I actually fully watched at least 3 or 4 shows, which doesn't happen that often.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I caught up to Chihayafuru and can't wait for season 3.

Was a solid anime, but season 2 was just too much of karuta and not enough character development for my liking. Not to say there wasn't, since there was a ton of individual development of skill for the game by everyone, but I want to see interaction between the group much more like in season 1 (like go to dinner together, play arcades, and whatnot, don't focus on just karuta because it isn't realistic - people would get burned out). As a viewer, I get it that Chihaya loves karuta and wants to play every single day for the rest of her life, but you don't need to stage that premise every single episode and in multiple times. That's where this show gets a negative from me and can potentially learn from Food Wars!, who do a much better job showing the passion of the show's protagonist.

Not sure which show I will be going to now. I am kind of interested in watching another sports anime show since all the good ones you lot ranked are all on Crunchyroll. However, I have been in such a big mood to start another rerun of Hunter x Hunter. What's holding me kind of back though is that the show has a lot to take in certain arcs to explain the universe and what not.

Reactions: oil Leaks

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
So I caught up to Chihayafuru and can't wait for season 3.

Was a solid anime, but season 2 was just too much of karuta and not enough character development for my liking. Not to say there wasn't, since there was a ton of individual development of skill for the game by everyone, but I want to see interaction between the group much more like in season 1 (like go to dinner together, play arcades, and whatnot, don't focus on just karuta because it isn't realistic - people would get burned out). As a viewer, I get it that Chihaya loves karuta and wants to play every single day for the rest of her life, but you don't need to stage that premise every single episode and in multiple times. That's where this show gets a negative from me and can potentially learn from Food Wars!, who do a much better job showing the passion of the show's protagonist.

Not sure which show I will be going to now. I am kind of interested in watching another sports anime show since all the good ones you lot ranked are all on Crunchyroll. However, I have been in such a big mood to start another rerun of Hunter x Hunter. What's holding me kind of back though is that the show has a lot to take in certain arcs to explain the universe and what not.

Season 3 is airing this Spring. Get ready! :)

Reactions: S E P H

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
True or False. Gonna watch it anyways

I would say no, but I see three reasons someone would say this. First is different production company, not Madhouse. Second going by what's on the storyboard from the manga converting that to animation if they only do a 12 episode season then there's likely no real climax like the 1st season. Finally I don't agree with it but people seem to be complaining recently that as the story expands and starts to include more 'hero's' in depth it's becoming less of a parody show that it was originally sold as.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Winter 2019 is approaching, any shows on your guys' radars.
http://image.anichart.net/i/Winter.jpg

Personally, I'm interested in
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Shield Hero
Boogiepop
Neverland
Dororo
Kaguya-sama
Revisions

Probably won't pick up all of them, but for sure will watch the first few episodes of those.

Last edited:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Not the best looking season. I only know one for sure I will be watching all of and that's Kakegurui S2

Going to give a try:

Boogiepop
Shield Hero
Neverland

Maybe another one or two once I look into them more but from a quick glance and remembering the talk on some over the last couple months Neverland was the most talked about.

I couldn't finish the first episode of Mob Psycho when it came out. Irked me a bit

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Mob 2, Kakegurui 2, Boogiebop, Kaguya-sama, and Manaria Friends.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
What's Mob Psycho? I heard good things around, but never really felt interested in giving it a chance.

Going by memory I believe it's by the same guy who made One Punch Man. Which is why I was excited when it was coming out but it just didn't hit for me. Seemed like a cool supernatural action comedy show. Lots of people ended up liking it.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari and was disappointed with it. The style and pacing and how they do some quick shots was just not to my liking. Debating on trying to push through a couple episodes to see if I eventually get used to it since I really wanted to give this one a try after hearing how Bunny Senpai was compared to it in a few ways.

For me I can tell I will drop it within the first few episodes if I don't like the directing, pace or humor. Happened with Kill la Kill, Mob Psycho and Gintama.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari and was disappointed with it. The style and pacing and how they do some quick shots was just not to my liking. Debating on trying to push through a couple episodes to see if I eventually get used to it since I really wanted to give this one a try after hearing how Bunny Senpai was compared to it in a few ways.

For me I can tell I will drop it within the first few episodes if I don't like the directing, pace or humor. Happened with Kill la Kill, Mob Psycho and Gintama.

Dropping Bakemonogatari will be a big mistake on your part. I was also not into it in the first episode but the series got interesting the further you dwell in it.

Last edited:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Dropping Bakemonogatari will be a big mistake on your part. I was also not into it in the first episode but the series got interesting the further you dwell in it.

Good chance I will try and watch another episode or two. It's not that it wasn't interesting to me, but the way they tell everything just was not a fan of. So if it's in that style throughout I probably won't like it.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Personally, I really like the first episode of Sheild Hero, even though I know its another isekai.
First episode of Dororo was interesting and good. Being simulcast on Amazon.

Adding it to my list for this season
Really impressed with the first episode of Dororo as well. Confirmed to be 2 cours as well. #Blessed

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Personally, I really like the first episode of Sheild Hero, even though I know its another isekai.

Really impressed with the first episode of Dororo as well. Confirmed to be 2 cours as well. #Blessed

Yeah I enjoyed the first episode as well. Hopefully does enough to differentiate itself from the others but I already liked the premise for his situation a lot already

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I enjoyed the first episode as well. Hopefully does enough to differentiate itself from the others but I already liked the premise for his situation a lot already

I can only speak from the manga side, never been able to get into the 'light novels', but while you can't really pinpoint a specific starting point for this "isekai" genre I'm pretty sure Shield Hero was one of the earlier pioneer in it. The manga was out before the genre blew up, everyone started making them and things got stupid. So it does it's own thing without simply copying what everyone else is doing but with a minor/clever/edgy/silly/etc twist.

So it should be pretty good overall. Leans a little on the 'edge lord' side for my liking but doesn't delve too far into that to turn me off of it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Going by memory I believe it's by the same guy who made One Punch Man. Which is why I was excited when it was coming out but it just didn't hit for me. Seemed like a cool supernatural action comedy show. Lots of people ended up liking it.

Mob Psycho takes a few episodes to really get going, but I really enjoyed it. It's one of those shows you almost have to binge watch to let it build some momentum.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I just got to the beginning of The Phantom Troupe arc in HxH and I still think Kurapika should have been a female. I suggest that as a woman, the character would turn out to be way more interesting than what we see as a man. Just my two cents.

The anime is amazing though, I dislike manga, but considering how awesome it is I might just read it after I finish with the anime. We all know that Togashi is a hiatus freak, so if the anime ever comes back it will be in like 2026 the soonest. It sucks though because the creativity of the entire universe is sooooo damn good that it could've had a One Piece type of longevity.

Mob Psycho takes a few episodes to really get going, but I really enjoyed it. It's one of those shows you almost have to binge watch to let it build some momentum.
Duraararararararara is the same way for me. There's so many characters, alliances, and storylines that everything gets lost in my short term memory once a new season comes out and I have to start a season back to remember everything.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So I just got to the beginning of The Phantom Troupe arc in HxH and I still think Kurapika should have been a female. I suggest that as a woman, the character would turn out to be way more interesting than what we see as a man. Just my two cents.

The anime is amazing though, I dislike manga, but considering how awesome it is I might just read it after I finish with the anime. We all know that Togashi is a hiatus freak, so if the anime ever comes back it will be in like 2026 the soonest. It sucks though because the creativity of the entire universe is sooooo damn good that it could've had a One Piece type of longevity.

Duraararararararara is the same way for me. There's so many characters, alliances, and storylines that everything gets lost in my short term memory once a new season comes out and I have to start a season back to remember everything.

Then if you get into the HxH manga you're going to just love the current story arc and it's frequent 6-12 month breaks :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->