TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I forgot who it was (sorry) that recommended me No Game No Life and I finished that last night. I thought it was quite a bit too superficial of an anime for me. Characters were bland and the side characters just came off as annoying except the chick with the angel wings who I thought was a cool design. I also have a huge problem during one of the scenes where they show the bottom of an 11-year old girl lose her underwear. Even as a drawing with fake characters, that is ****ing weird with a capital "F" for me.

However, what makes up for it is the story's cool concept and that Madhouse went beyond a normal studio (once again) and absolutely destroyed the settings. It is freakin' glorious in like every episode, each environment is superb, the colour usage is impeccable, and the creativity is off the scale. This is up there with Hunter x Hunter as some of the most interesting conceptual settings for a universe I have seen lately. Sucks that the characters seem to bring down the overall story for me.

I am now off to watch Clannad for the first time, I started two episodes last night and absolutely loving everything so far (especially the music).

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I just realized that the last movie for Heaven's Lost Property never came to DVD/Bluray outside of Japan. Ugh, why sell the whole series outside of Japan, except for the actual ending?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eva licensing seems like it's always been a nightmare so it's good to see somebody maybe make some progress on it. Please god somebody just put out a good BD collection that won't cost me hundreds of dollars.

Most influential series of all time and it's always been a complete pain in the ass to watch legally.

Reactions: Bure1096

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Eva licensing seems like it's always been a nightmare so it's good to see somebody maybe make some progress on it. Please god somebody just put out a good BD collection that won't cost me hundreds of dollars.

Most influential series of all time and it's always been a complete pain in the ass to watch legally.

Just imagine what it is like to be a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes there is no way I will ever get the chance the own that series physically.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I'm new around these parts, have y'all heard of Ping Pong the Animation? Given how this is a hockey forum, I figured there would be a good amount of overlap. I can't speak highly enough about the show, I has had a significant impact on how I see competition.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I'm new around these parts, have y'all heard of Ping Pong the Animation? Given how this is a hockey forum, I figured there would be a good amount of overlap. I can't speak highly enough about the show, I has had a significant impact on how I see competition.

Yeah I have heard it is one of the best sports anime out there will have to give a shot one day it isn't that long so I will probably get around to it. Though I do appreciate good sports anime/manga Hajime no Ippo, Major and Haikyuu are a few I really like

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Madhouse/April 2019/2 Cours
Say no more, so looking forward to this.

Pingpong The Animation is really good. One of my favorite sports anime and I have seen quite a few.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't know what that show is, but I'll watch anything done by Madhouse.

So, on Black Friday I got the blu-ray Clannad collection from 160 or whatever it was for 40 dollars. That was a surprisingly sad show even with the twist at the end. I am still a couple episodes away from finishing, but I quite enjoyed it for the most part. Other part was boring and then I thought it got kind of repetitive towards the end in terms of the main characters. That and pretty much every single character from the first season was completely and utterly useless in the second season - similar to Dragonball Z from Dragonball. Even with all the problems, it was a very good anime and had a wonderful soundtrack. 7/10 for first season, 8/10 for After Story.

Now I am on Toradora and so far it has been such an easy and fun show to watch that I've found myself binge watching it over the weekend. Really interested in how it turns out overall, but just really liking it so far. Vanilla storyline, but characters and the emotion of how everyone functions with one another is what makes Toradora awesome.

Can't wait until Knights of Sidonia season 3 gets released - not sure if the anime is underrated, but damn it is a good one.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Interesting timing. I literally just finished gushing about it in the "Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It" thread last night.

It's a masterpiece, IMO. Along with Cowboy Bebop, it's my favorite Anime and one of my favorite TV shows, period. Probably my favorite work related to the subject of sports/competition as well.

You rarely see a show so lean, economical, and densely packed (without ever feeling rushed) in such a short run-time. In terms of character development, managing expectations/pay-off, pacing, and aesthetic sensibilities, it's perfectly considered, IMO.

What I also find interesting about it is that the sport of Ping Pong is so compact and insulated that when you zoom into the movements and add symbolic creative effects around them, it tricks you into thinking it's exaggerated and made superhuman in the show, but the techniques and the way that games play out and feel are all actually pretty authentic and grounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klank Loves You

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

So, on Black Friday I got the blu-ray Clannad collection from 160 or whatever it was for 40 dollars. That was a surprisingly sad show even with the twist at the end. I am still a couple episodes away from finishing, but I quite enjoyed it for the most part. Other part was boring and then I thought it got kind of repetitive towards the end in terms of the main characters. That and pretty much every single character from the first season was completely and utterly useless in the second season - similar to Dragonball Z from Dragonball. Even with all the problems, it was a very good anime and had a wonderful soundtrack. 7/10 for first season, 8/10 for After Story.

Now I am on Toradora and so far it has been such an easy and fun show to watch that I've found myself binge watching it over the weekend. Really interested in how it turns out overall, but just really liking it so far. Vanilla storyline, but characters and the emotion of how everyone functions with one another is what makes Toradora awesome.

Can't wait until Knights of Sidonia season 3 gets released - not sure if the anime is underrated, but damn it is a good one.

No Game No Life is Madhouse :). Death Parade is highly recommended from them too. I also really did enjoy The Irregular at Magic High School by Madhouse.

I f***ing love Toradora and might be my first real rom-com/drama show that I fell in love with. Definitely has a good payoff.

I still need to watch the 2nd season of Knights of Sidonia. Goddamn is that show f***y.

Maquia is up for pre-order on RightStuf and if you don't know, it's the same creator of Anohana. Can't f***ing wait to get it and see it.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No Game No Life is Madhouse :). Death Parade is highly recommended from them too. I also really did enjoy The Irregular at Magic High School by Madhouse.

I ****ing love Toradora and might be my first real rom-com/drama show that I fell in love with. Definitely has a good payoff.

I still need to watch the 2nd season of Knights of Sidonia. Goddamn is that show ****y.

Maquia is up for pre-order on RightStuf and if you don't know, it's the same creator of Anohana. Can't ****ing wait to get it and see it.
No doubt, which is why I watched them. FTR I had issues with No Game No Life, but it was far from the worst anime I have ever seen (which might be Gunslinger Girl, stopped watching that after the fourth or so episode). It was average, but holy **** Madhouse made it amazing - I did say in my review that it was definitely one of the best settings I've watched in a long time (up there with Hunter x Hunter).

Death Parade was also fantastic, but again I thought the show got really repetitive as the episodes kept following the same pattern. Not something that was too bad considering what Death Parade's setting and synopsis is about. However, as a viewer I could not wait until it was over when I got to the eighth episode. Still a quality anime every fan should watch at least once (that and it has one of the best openings for any anime).

Why do you dislike Knights? Not that everyone has to like it, but more curious to know.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Personal Top 5 Sports anime
1. Cross Game
2. Pingpong The Animation
3. Chihayafuru
4. Haikyuu!!
5. Yowamushi Pedal (Season 1 and 2)

Chihayafuru is hype, definitely give it a try.
Chihayafuru is up there as one of my favorite animes of all time.

That main theme

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
No doubt, which is why I watched them. FTR I had issues with No Game No Life, but it was far from the worst anime I have ever seen (which might be Gunslinger Girl, stopped watching that after the fourth or so episode). It was average, but holy **** Madhouse made it amazing - I did say in my review that it was definitely one of the best settings I've watched in a long time (up there with Hunter x Hunter).

Death Parade was also fantastic, but again I thought the show got really repetitive as the episodes kept following the same pattern. Not something that was too bad considering what Death Parade's setting and synopsis is about. However, as a viewer I could not wait until it was over when I got to the eighth episode. Still a quality anime every fan should watch at least once (that and it has one of the best openings for any anime).

Why do you dislike Knights? Not that everyone has to like it, but more curious to know.

I like Knights. I'm just saying f***y in terms of f***ed up. Messed up holy shit type of stuff.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Kuroko is like the DBZ of sports anime and I love it. Yowapeda can be like that too. Great characters and matches.

I need to watch more. Wish Major was on someplace easy to watch.

I only really liked the first two seasons of Yowapedal. I'm still up to date but it did get kinda boring after. If you like baseball animes, I can't recommend Cross Game enough. I'm not even the biggest fan of baseball and I loved it from start to finish.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sports anime

1. Kuroko no Basuke
2. Haikyuu
3. Diamond no Ace
4. Yowamushi Pedal
5. Baby Steps

Really close with 2-4 though
I want to get into sports anime, but I really wish there were cooler sports in Japan's mainstream entertainment because I don't give a **** about basketball, volleyball, and baseball. Diamond no Ace seems like the most interesting on that list along with the cycling one (however, not sure how amazing that cycling anime is).

Last edited:

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I want to get into sports anime, but I really wish there were cooler sports in Japan's mainstream entertainment because I don't give a **** about basketball, volleyball, and baseball. Diamond no Ace seems like the most interesting on that list along with the cycling one (however, not sure how amazing that cycling anime is).

Watch Chihayafuru. It's not your typical sports anime. Give it a try, highly recommend.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watch Chihayafuru. It's not your typical sports anime. Give it a try, highly recommend.
Not sure if I consider card games a "sports", but I definitely added it to my cue on Crunchyroll - I just have a couple others I want to finish like Clannad and Toradora before watching Chiha.

Reactions: oil Leaks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad