TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Been watching a lot of anime shows lately, but I won't really delve into that as of now.

I just wanted to add here is thatYu Yu Hakusho is getting a new OVA which features two new stories. The first one is about Hiei meeting Kurama for the first time, while the second one is the gang going back to Spirit World to solve a hostage situation. Not sure if the second one is some kind of epilogue or if it will take some time during the original anime as the Cowboy Bebop movie was with the show's storyline. Sounds like the OVA will premiere on October 6th in Japan and will go on sale with the Blu-Ray collector box-set on October 26th.

Wonder if they'll be able to scrounge up the english VAs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So here's an update of what's happened over my summer...

- Finished the recent season of Food Wars and it is by far one of my favourite animes'. Absolutely loving everything about it and I cannot wait until the new season is here.

- Currently watching Boku no Hero and quite enjoying as well. It's a top notch anime even if all the old anime cliches are prevalent within it. Nonetheless, loved that they expanded upon the hero base and brought more schools/characters into it with the current arc (and not just have villains attack all the time).

- I am also currently in the middle of Digimon: Tri and it has been such a pain to watch thus far. I think I am on episode 13 or something, but so much filter and useless dialogue. The battles absolutely ****ing suck for a modern anime and it has been sooooooooooooooooo boring. Awful stuff.

- Finished Gangsta and even though it wasn't bad in the slightest, it just isn't my type of anime - something just seemed off about it where they tried to incorporate like six different animes into one and ended up with this.

- I re-watched RWBY season 4 and I don't think it was as bad as I or people mentioned in the past. One of those seasons where I guess you need to watch it more than once for it to grow on you. Season 5 was slow, but I don't mind necessary building of certain character relationships. However, if I was going to make a complaint it seems that RT didn't know where they wanted to take season 5. You get pretty much everything from slow dialogue to action scenes to revealing of certain items. Getting all of that isn't bad by any means, but it also means that there wasn't a clear direction on this season either. Above-average.

- Finished Death Parade and thought it was okay. It was cool concept, but the over-emotions of the characters kills the atmosphere when every single episode is filled with people betraying one another. I thought the show ended prematurely since they had a background story on "why the arbitrators are there in the first place" which was never answered. But the show's concept got boring after the seventh episode so I am glad that it was short overall. Not sure I would re-watch it.

- Yesterday I finished Devil Works as Part-timer and really loved it - hope there is a season 2. The show's storyline is an extreme delight to watch and such an intriguing concept. Enjoyable characters, good amount of comedy relief, and done properly. Laughed hard how Satan now wants to rule Japan and to do that he starts off with flipping burgers at McDonald's. :laugh: If I had one complaint about this show, it's that nails on the chalkboard weird angel/demon language; omfg that stuff is horrible to listen to.

Wonder if they'll be able to scrounge up the english VAs.
I would hope so since Yu Yu Hakusho had a beast of an English cast - one of the few shows where I argue it beats the Japanese counterparts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So guys I need help/recommendations for my next anime to watch...

- Is Attack on Titan really that good? I've only watched like 15 minutes at most of the show and I keep hearing how "it's effin amazingz" from people all around.

- I started Stein's Gate last night, but not sure it's an anime for me. It was really weird with all this strange dialogue about him sending messages from the future I guess. What type of anime is it? Like is there action? Or is it more like Full Metal Panic!, that there is some, but is more about interactions more than anything? Should I stick around with this show after the first episode?

- What the hell happened with Devil is a Part-timer? I thought this anime came out like in 2015 or 2016 the earliest and I saw yesterday that it was released all the way back in 2013 and no second season? Are you kidding me? They finished a solid anime with that type of ending?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Stick with Steins;Gate. I f***ing love that show. It becomes more serious and sci-fi thriller type of stuff.

The Devil is a Part-Time is so damn good and really needs a sequel, like, badly. It was a fun and funny show.

Attack on Titan just isn't for me, so I'd be bad on that.

Honestly, if you haven't watched it yet, watch the newest season of FMP, as it basically is the first half for one big story arc. But it was quite good.

If you haven't yet, get No Game No Life and I recently received No Game No Life Zero in the mail and I really wanna watch it.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Stick with Steins;Gate. I ****ing love that show. It becomes more serious and sci-fi thriller type of stuff.

The Devil is a Part-Time is so damn good and really needs a sequel, like, badly. It was a fun and funny show.

Attack on Titan just isn't for me, so I'd be bad on that.

Honestly, if you haven't watched it yet, watch the newest season of FMP, as it basically is the first half for one big story arc. But it was quite good.

If you haven't yet, get No Game No Life and I recently received No Game No Life Zero in the mail and I really wanna watch it.
Awesome, good stuff here mate. I will stick around with Stein's Gate and see what all the fuss is about since it's rated in the 9.00 range on MyAnimeLists.

I was thinking of re-watching Noragami as well since I never watched the second season and starting Rin-En since I saw an episode and really enjoyed it during Fall/Winter (sounds like No Game No Life is part of these types of anime?). Actually, I am on the verge on starting another Hunter x Hunter binge because, well it's effin HXH!

Any reason why Devil is a Part-Timer hasn't gotten a second season? Did they run out of manga content? I think it's popular enough to get at least a second season at minimum.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I finished Stein's Gate regular programming and quite enjoyed it. Spoiler: Was sort of expecting that majority of the episodes to become pointless when he realises he needs to redo all the things he did and go back to the beta line. The main protagonist was also REALLY whining in some of the episodes which turned me off at times. Let me say, that some of it was absolutely needed to make an emotional output for the dialogue and story, but in some episodes it was a tad too much (nothing as bad as ReZero, my God that was awful). I am going to cheque out the OVA and Movie when I get some free time, not sure if any of them are good, but read brief synopses and they both sound interesting.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have yet to watch the movie or the OVA actually. Just didn't get around to it. I own the movie and the collector's edition of the show. Also, if it was cheaper, I would buy the full series of ReZero.

I'm still on the fence about buying the collector's edition of DanMachi.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Almost Lemillion time.

Also Netflix got Bloom Into You... save us fansubbers.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Man I am just looking for a long(ish) series to really get into and binge. Having trouble as I decided to watch seasons 2-5 of Agents of Shield instead the last few weeks and now I'm back looking for a new show to get into.

I got 10 episodes into JoJo some months ago and was so-so. I keep trying to get into Gintama but can never get through a few episodes. Everything about that show seems to trigger me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just past episode 18 of Noragami in season 2 and loving every bit of it (story has been legitimately crazy). I kept putting it off for the longest time, but whenever I start watching it again I keep telling myself how solid of an anime it is.

Finished everything with Stein's Gate with the original storyline. Not sure I plan on watching the current season on the other timeline, but enjoyed the series. OVA was pointless and I found after I watched the movie that it's not considered canon; not sure why because the movie was actually really good. If you like how the episodes were structured, the movie was pretty much an hour and ten minute episode.

How do people like Tokyo Ghoul here? Trying to figure out what show I want to cheque out after Noragami (been thinking about TG, Rin-En, No Game No Life, or Attack on Titan). I've seen a couple of segments here and there and it really caught my eye, but because it's owned by a weird company here in NA it's not allowed on Crunchyroll (I don't think).

The My Hero Academia movie is sooooo good
Not sure I agree as the last five episodes to finish the season were really dull. Some interesting bits, but didn't really go anywhere. Entire season was awesome though.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Just past episode 18 of Noragami in season 2 and loving every bit of it (story has been legitimately crazy). I kept putting it off for the longest time, but whenever I start watching it again I keep telling myself how solid of an anime it is.

Finished everything with Stein's Gate with the original storyline. Not sure I plan on watching the current season on the other timeline, but enjoyed the series. OVA was pointless and I found after I watched the movie that it's not considered canon; not sure why because the movie was actually really good. If you like how the episodes were structured, the movie was pretty much an hour and ten minute episode.

How do people like Tokyo Ghoul here? Trying to figure out what show I want to cheque out after Noragami (been thinking about TG, Rin-En, No Game No Life, or Attack on Titan). I've seen a couple of segments here and there and it really caught my eye, but because it's owned by a weird company here in NA it's not allowed on Crunchyroll (I don't think).

Not sure I agree as the last five episodes to finish the season were really dull. Some interesting bits, but didn't really go anywhere. Entire season was awesome though.

I said the movie that just came out not the season. And I disagree just 3 episodes ago was one of the best in the series and gave us crazy good character development. I enjoyed the follow ups to end the season. What a season it was too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And I disagree just 3 episodes ago was one of the best in the series and gave us crazy good character development. I enjoyed the follow ups to end the season. What a season it was too.
The Izuku vs Bakugo does absolutely nothing for me. I am glad, as you mentioned above that it didn't turn into Sasuke emo-ness, but there are so many other interesting storylines in the show. Bakugo is a very limited and stale character who's angry all the time, big pass on him. That's why I consider the last third of the season as dull.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Except the last third of the season was devoted to showing you that he's not a limited and stale character who's angry all the time.

They really picked a criminal place to end this season, though. The stuff next year is going to be the best yet.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Fall is looking really good.
Season 3 of SAO, Goblin Slayer, Bunny Senpai, Toyko Goul Re: 2nd season and Irozuku Sekai.

Episode 1 of Irozuku Sekai giving me Nagi-Asu vibes
Episode 1 of Bunny Senpai was really interesting

Will definitely continue watching these 2 shows.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Watched the first ep of Bunny Girl and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Will see how those do. Bunny Girl was really interesting. Can't wait for Golden Kamuy S2 to start.

Will try out Goblin Slayer and maybe Radiant and Gridman.

If Crunchy is doing any others that look good I will try them as well.

I don't watch Tokyo and only watched 5 or 6 of JoJo. I also dropped SAO during S2 when it lost all stakes. Might try and pick it back up though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad