TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Damn facebook trolls spoiled quite a bit of season 3 or 4 of Attack on Titan.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Damn facebook trolls spoiled quite a bit of season 3 or 4 of Attack on Titan.

Yeah AOT is the worst for that I got spoiled on the S2 episode 6 reveal thanks to them. I am keeping away from anything AOT related until this season is done. Only thing I know is that the season shifts tonally to more politics and world building which AOT could use honestly. That and the manga readers have been really liking the new chapters.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah AOT is the worst for that I got spoiled on the S2 episode 6 reveal thanks to them. I am keeping away from anything AOT related until this season is done. Only thing I know is that the season shifts tonally to more politics and world building which AOT could use honestly. That and the manga readers have been really liking the new chapters.

Hate people who spoil things on purpose. I had Game of Thrones season 7 spoiled on a youtube comment on a video that had nothing to do with GoT. :madfire:

Really? That's good to hear because I thought I heard the opposite. AOT is my favorite anime and I heard from many that the manga went downhill. Kind of a spoiler I guess? Not entirely sure but I put tags around it just in case.
The writer planned on ending it earlier and killing everyone off essentially but the problem was it became so popular and he didn't want it to end, so he kind of wrote himself into a corner. Which led to people saying the manga went downhill.

Last edited:

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Hate spoilers. I had Game of Thrones season 7 spoiled on a youtube comment on a video that had nothing to do with GoT. :madfire:

Really? That's good to hear because I thought I heard the opposite. AOT is my favorite anime and I heard from many that the manga went downhill. The writer planned on ending it earlier and killing everyone off essentially but the problem was it became so popular and he didn't want it to end, so he kind of wrote himself into a corner.

Basically this next arch is a controversial arch as it changes the tone of the story by taking a bit of a break from the action AOT was known for. Either people really like this arch or think its the worst so far of the entire manga at it's current release. The big issue I heard it was due to the fact that AOT is a monthly manga and the wait for the chapters was agonizing and after reading through it without waiting months it flows better. That and some of the themes like the politics readers felt he did much better later on in the manga. Though the author Hajime Isayama who has had massive input on the anime production staff has said he is going to make it have a faster pace in the anime and include more action so it could fix the issue that this first arch of S3 had in regards to pacing. This arch though is really important world building wise and sets up a lot of later cool stuff apparently.

The next arch 2nd cour of this season the action picks up from what I have been told and most people seem to like it. As for what is going on in the manga now almost everyone I have seen likes it. I haven't actually have heard much criticism though I am pretty cautious with regards to spoilers most of my impressions are just coming from manga readers hyping up the new season and talking about how they really like the manga now etc. I heard even some people who didn't like Attack on Titan initially said the story is much better now than the first two seasons and that it went in a better direction. Also the latest volume did fairly well in sales and some were citing the latest chapters as maybe the reason so apparently the recent arch has been very good.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Attack on Titan basically is a walking pacing issue, anyways--though I've heard at least some promising things regarding the stuff that's coming up from people who follow the manga. I felt like the end of the second season was maybe the first time the anime has had potential since like 5 episodes into it.

There was literally the twist in like episode 6 and everything since then has been the viewers waiting for all the dumb ass characters in the show to realize the implications of that twist. Super frustrating show to watch and something that I've never been able to watch week-to-week; both seasons I've just given up and binged them after they were done.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Attack on Titan basically is a walking pacing issue, anyways--though I've heard at least some promising things regarding the stuff that's coming up from people who follow the manga. I felt like the end of the second season was maybe the first time the anime has had potential since like 5 episodes into it.

There was literally the twist in like episode 6 and everything since then has been the viewers waiting for all the dumb ass characters in the show to realize the implications of that twist. Super frustrating show to watch and something that I've never been able to watch week-to-week; both seasons I've just given up and binged them after they were done.

To each their own I though it was paced fairly well throughout the first season and most of the second season granted I never watched AOT seasonally. I had held off on it for awhile until a friend nagged me enough until I watched it last Spring just after the second season finished. Like I said though maybe it will turn around for the better for you as many people really seem to like the manga where it is at.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
To each their own I though it was paced fairly well throughout the first season and most of the second season granted I never watched AOT seasonally. I had held off on it for awhile until a friend nagged me enough until I watched it last Spring just after the second season finished. Like I said though maybe it will turn around for the better for you as many people really seem to like the manga where it is at.

Depends where they take things, I guess. They haven't made substantial narrative progress since that twist early on, but S3 is finally set to do so. Everything since episode 7-8 has just been setup that probably could've been done in like 1/3rd as many episodes, but hey, it's a shounen series and those like to stretch themselves out.

Now that I think about it a bit, it's starting to look like a less interesting version of Claymore. Hopefully they don't go down the same road.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The next arch 2nd cour of this season the action picks up from what I have been told and most people seem to like it. As for what is going on in the manga now almost everyone I have seen likes it. I haven't actually have heard much criticism though I am pretty cautious with regards to spoilers most of my impressions are just coming from manga readers hyping up the new season and talking about how they really like the manga now etc. I heard even some people who didn't like Attack on Titan initially said the story is much better now than the first two seasons and that it went in a better direction. Also the latest volume did fairly well in sales and some were citing the latest chapters as maybe the reason so apparently the recent arch has been very good.

Personally I was a little confused with exactly what was going on in terms of time and place for quite some time. Maybe it's because of the monthly format or I just missed something, or took a longish break before getting back into it, or some combination from all of the above. Either way, the transition was confusing... at least for me.

Next bit I wanted to say is pretty vague and I wouldn't really consider it a spoiler, but I'll but it in tags just in case:

Of course the other issue is for much of the story there's always a vague sense of mystery over wtf is going on. In the current manga arc they peal back the mystery and show you exactly what that is... does it live up to your expectations, or was it better with the mystery? That will have an effect on how people view it.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Man Food Wars and My Hero are just killing it right now. FW being one of my favorites ever.

Still enjoying Golden Kamuy, Comic Girls, and Galactic Heroes. I'm a couple behind on Megalo Box.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I heard even some people who didn't like Attack on Titan initially said the story is much better now than the first two seasons and that it went in a better direction

SPOILER!!!!!!

yeah if you think

LEGIT, CLEAR, OBVIOUS, MASSIVE NOT VAGUE SPOILER!!!!!!!
it was the Nazis all along

is an interesting direction. last chapter was good though, idc everyone saw that twist coming a mile away, the look on [REDACTED]'s face was worth it . and I'm harsh on aot, at least the author isn't winging it and is trying to get a consistent tone, themes, etc. and the current arc is at least trying to rectify some longstanding problems cough cough plot armor cough

Last edited:

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Well I just got and started reading the fourth volume of The Promised Neverland. That series plus Vinland Saga (if it is released in 2019) I think are going to be the favourites for AOTY. It is so good probably one of the best titles in Jump right now. Also have heard good things about Demon Slayer Yaiba as well and with Ufotable doing it 2019 looks to really promising especially from Jump's perspective.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Personally I was a little confused with exactly what was going on in terms of time and place for quite some time. Maybe it's because of the monthly format or I just missed something, or took a longish break before getting back into it, or some combination from all of the above. Either way, the transition was confusing... at least for me.

Next bit I wanted to say is pretty vague and I wouldn't really consider it a spoiler, but I'll but it in tags just in case:

Of course the other issue is for much of the story there's always a vague sense of mystery over wtf is going on. In the current manga arc they peal back the mystery and show you exactly what that is... does it live up to your expectations, or was it better with the mystery? That will have an effect on how people view it.

I have long been fading with my interest in AOT, but the reveals completely jumped the shark for me.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I started a re-watch of Dragon Ball because my fiance is out of town for a week

I honestly forgot how much better it is than the mess of overpowered crap that DBZ turns into. It's also so breezy to watch, I feel like I could finish the entire series in a few weeks.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Dragon Ball is very good indeed.
Might have to do the same one day, it's been ages since I have watched through that series.

Finally started up on Recovery of an MMO Junkie the other day. Only about two episodes in so far but it's been solid.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I love the tournaments in Dragon Ball. Might be some of my favorite DB/Z/S moments ever.

Food Wars, Yowamushi Pedal and Golden Kamuy all had their seasons end.. just going to cry in a corner over the wait for them to come back again.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I started a re-watch of Dragon Ball because my fiance is out of town for a week

I honestly forgot how much better it is than the mess of overpowered crap that DBZ turns into. It's also so breezy to watch, I feel like I could finish the entire series in a few weeks.

Yeah I also prefer original DB to Z.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love the tournaments in Dragon Ball. Might be some of my favorite DB/Z/S moments ever.

Food Wars, Yowamushi Pedal and Golden Kamuy all had their seasons end.. just going to cry in a corner over the wait for them to come back again.
Food Wars is done until next year? I watched the latest episode yesterday and I thought there could've been one or two more. That sucks, but I still haven't seen the current season to My Hero until so that should still keep me preoccupied.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Food Wars is done until next year? I watched the latest episode yesterday and I thought there could've been one or two more. That sucks, but I still haven't seen the current season to My Hero until so that should still keep me preoccupied.

I haven't finished the last season yet but has there been a confirmation for a 4th season next year?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
So FLCL Progressive ended, and honestly, it was pretty disappointing. It was weird, but it lacked the charm of the original and it did nothing for the overall story. 2/5 just because The Pillows rock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad