TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
No filler for food wars not like the other shonen series that aired last Saturday.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
All right two more watched.

90325l.jpg

Comic Girls

This is going to be the New Game! of the season except with manga. First episode was good. I'm in. Got my nice and light show of the season found.

sword_art_online_alternative_gun_gale_online_by_kazutto-dbp6l36.png

SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online

I was really hesitant to watch this. The best part of SAO was the stakes/perma death. Once that stopped I didn't really care what happened in the show.
First episode was.. okay. Best parts were the opening song and the end of the episode. Will see how long I can last.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I'm still trying to finish a bit from last season (mainly 3-gatsu no Lion) / stuff I'm almost through.

Then there is the continuations from last season (Darling in the Franxx and Yowamushi Pedal for me, I might get around to the new season of 7 Deadly Sins at some point).

I've started watching quite a few from this season so far.

The biggest three for me are Shokugeki, Boku no Hero Academia and Major 2nd

Major 2nd is the only one I'm a little concerned about, not 100% how it will hold up as a sequel. I'll have to see how they go about stuff, I really really enjoyed the first one though.

Next would probably be Steins;Gate 0 and Full Metal Panic (but neither have actually started yet, they start this week).

I've started Megalo Box, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, SAO Alternative, Comic Girls and Gurazeni. I enjoyed most of the starts for the 5, SAO and Gurazeni would definitely be the bottom 2 of everything I've watched so far (with Gurazeni being a lot more likely to be dropped than anything else, definitely was not a fan of the first episode but I'll give it a chance).

I'm hoping that Comic Girls can do something like (as Unholy said) New Game! or Monthly Girls Nozaki. I watched Yuru Camp last season (definitely one of my top shows from last season) and I'm hoping that it can kind of have the same relaxing element as that did.

Megalo Box and Legend of the Galactic Heroes both did a decent job to start of at least creating interest. I'll see how Legend of the Galactic Heroes goes and maybe end up watching the original later on.

SAO Alternative just felt odd to me. I enjoyed the original (mainly the first 13 episodes, but also some of the other parts like GGO) and I understand that this is just a spin off before the Alicization arc comes out (and potentially the Progressive Reboot which I think would be the better option long term) but it just felt so..... odd. I enjoyed parts of the episode, but I couldn't help but laugh at some of the other stuff that happened.

Mainly the main character. In what is supposed to be an ultra competitive game it just felt so odd to have the MC just have an inherent advantage as a result of their player model (I know that they are randomized at creation according to the original series, but people would be making new accounts until they got the ones that gave an advantage if the system existed or paying to get them, like how people offered to buy Kirito's GGO character model). The fact that the model size + agility build combined to make it that difficult for the opponents in episode one just gives me a bad feeling about where they're going to end up taking it in future episodes. At least it isn't "uses sword to deflect every bullet" but at least with that it was something that couldn't be replicated by other players and they kind of explained due to the 2 years or w/e being inside SAO using the mechanics.

Don't even get me started on the pink bunny-like outfit. Even ignoring the potential benefits in certain settings (sun height + desert), it just seemed a little over the top. At least they temporarily covered the issue in the early parts of the episode.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Didn't realize that was a remake of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'd always heard about it and watched the 1st episode of it at one point, but never really got into it, so this is a good opportunity to do so.

Just rambling a bit now, but while I know it was in the original the whole '3 divided armies vs 1' military tactic just seems over used at this point. I'm guessing it must have been some famous historical maneuver pulled off in feudal Japan or China or something?

Also this is more a sci-fi thing but while I can still enjoy it I've always been bothered by this type of vision for the future of space travel where while we've advanced enough in technology to explore and colonize the galaxy but in other ways we've regressed back to the industrial or renaissance era. Like warfare and the lack of value in human life, where thousands upon thousands of ships line up against each other and start blasting themselves apart, as if they were rows of musketmen except the death toll probably goes 7 digits in each major engagement.

I mean I don't know it can make for entertaining sci-fi but it's kind of a shitty view of the far future, where I like to be more optimistic and think the more advanced we become the more people value life and don't want to die.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Rant about Fate/Apocrypha Season 2 (Netflix)

Fate/Apocrypha is a show in which the main villain's goal is to establish heaven on Earth. Usually when that's the motivation of the villain, he's either a crazy person with a f***ed view of salvation; an Ends-Justifies-The-Means type willing to do horrific things for his goal; or means well but has an incomplete understanding of the exact process' to get to that point, which will either render the goal futile or horrific.

As far as I can tell, none of that applies here. The villain is going to use the MacGuffin as an energy source to self-actualize everyone, remove all negative emotions- and make everyone immortal.

Take this with a grain of salt, I skipped large chunks of the show because the main characters suck and are boring, the dialogue sucks and is boring, and everything about everything about this show is bad. The episode in which the main characters discuss the finer points of humanity? Gone. The episode in which the good guys read the Netflix stub for the following arc and "plan their final attack?" Skipped. And much more!

(I only watched it because I was bored and I wanted to see what would happen, and the type-moon wiki is incredibly obnoxious to read: it has techno-babble that puts the worst of TNG to shame, and insists on including every little detail and plot point and full freaking screenplays in the series recaps. With my not injudicious editing I watched what would be 8 hours of this in less than 3)

But in the final battle (which I did watch in it's entirety), when the good guys are monologueing about HERE'S WHY YOU CAN'T DO THIS, the argument is less, "This will turn everyone into slaves!" (which is mentioned and then easily countered by the villain) and "This will kill 5 billion people", and more on the principle of the matter. One is entirely fine with the goal of heaven on Earth, but she thinks spirits (bad guy is a spirit, not a human) shouldn't be the one to do it. The other one screams a lot about how humans should have the right to choose (then proceeds to choose for humanity to NOT have heaven on Earth, a hypocrisy the show is absolutely unaware of). He also mentions that he met a three or two people the preceding week who seemed nice to him, ergo the need for divine salvation is unneeded in the context of this show.

Unrelated Wikipedia article

Fate/Apocrypha is a show about a man who had his wish granted. That wish is, "I wish for humanity to NOT have heaven on Earth, full self-actualization, the ability to completely understand and empathize with others, the removal of all suffering and negative emotions, and immortality." This is the undisputed protagonist you're supposed to root for.This is patently absurd to me.

I did like Atalanta. For most of the 1st season and a lot of the 2nd season, most of the cast displays an emotional range you'd expect to find in a misdiagnosed aspie on the comedown of her daily Adderall dosage. Main Character guy has almost no emotional variance outside of whining a lot; Main Character girl, who is the adjudicator of a death game in which an all powerful wish granting device capable of fulfilling your deepest burning desires is the prize for killing everyone else, enforces the rules with an emotional intensity akin to a public school teacher reffing a water balloon fight between six year olds.

So to see someone finally react with the commensurate emotion to what is literally happening on screen isn't so much a breath of fresh air or a cool glass of water on a warm humid day as it is a gale of Caisius smacking you off the sofa.

You know what is a good show on Netflix? Wakfu. It's basically the French Avatar: The Last Airbender. Light-hearted children's adventure series with a cast of easy-to-like, well defined characters (and a stupidly catchy OP), good sense of dramatic timing and stakes (most of the time anyway), great villains, a fun and imaginative fantasy world that is both magical and realistic, and (here it beats A:TLA imo) a consistent theme that at no point does anyone stop and explain verbatim, but is instead entirely conveyed through the actions of the characters. I'm not counting the "This is why you suck" speech in the Season 2 finale, since that was to avoid the.....ah...unfortunate implications concerning the main villain.

The villain of Season 2 basically wants to gather a couple thousand children onto a space ship and spend an eternity exploring the cosmos with them...trust me, it absolutely is not what I just totally made it sound like, it's because his entire race is dead, save for those children, and he doesn't want to venture off into the great unknown Alone.

Watch this show. Then we'll get a Season 4 in 3-4 years (the creators are currently "planning" Season's 4 and 5, but negotiations between the studio and the networks hasn't even been announced yet)

I didn't like it would occasionally focus far too long on individual story beats, both in a shot/single scene sense and in an episodic sense (like the unnecessary 3 part arc where they enter a rugby tournament that could have been 2 episodes pretty easily).

Season 1: Good
Season 2: Great (the villain from Season 2 is now the best "I want to blow up your world" villain I've ever seen: he also has the exact same characterization as a certain Disney Princess...if you guess the Princess I will send you tree fidy).
OVAs: Good
Season 3: Uh well....uuuhhhh.......do what....?? That was certainly...something... I thin- look, I'm not saying it was bad, or I didn't like it (believe you me, if I didn't like it you'd know) buuuuut.....I don't know what to think. A lot to unpack. I will say it's similar to the transition from A:TLA to LoK- as in, instead of whimsical adventure aimed at a younger audience with appeal to older audiences, it's a more centered arc aimed at teens. The show was "bought" by Netflix, so this is the Netflix season.

Here's the confusion: Season 1, 2 and the OVA's are emotionally indulgent. Same as A:TLA. That's not an indictment, I think both are high quality in terms of writing, but stories connect to us emotionally, and that's where the appeal to grown ass men of a show aimed at 10 year olds originates- though tbf , both A:TLA and Wakfu had fights with their respective networks over the showrunners pushing the show toward a darker, more serious demographic.

So...if there's a precipitous change (not necessarily a drop off) in how the show is connecting to me on an emotional level when previously it was indulgent...then the obvious answer is that it is no longer indulgent- but I'm not quick to be sure that's the case here...but it very well could be. Just a thought.

Note on the watch order: the order is Season 1, then 2, then the three part OVA that is basically a movie as a series finale (also on Netflix). Netflix insta-que will immediately jump from the final episode of Season 2 to the first of Season 3. I did this, and it confused the hell out of me since Season 3 picks off right where the OVA's end. It does try to fix this by using color coded flashbacks, which I hated since I generally hate flashbacks in shows and movies (this seems to be a Netflix thing as 1-2 don't use any flashbacks at all, and I've seen this style in other made-for-Netflix shows).

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Also, for those that don't know, Violet Evergarden is on US Netflix now. It's a fantastic show that you should watch all the way through. It's very much a drama and can definitely give you some good cries.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also, for those that don't know, Violet Evergarden is on US Netflix now. It's a fantastic show that you should watch all the way through. It's very much a drama and can definitely give you some good cries.

It was good but to give it some criticism while watching it I always had this nagging voice in my head that for a pretty grounded fictional 1920's era setting the protagonist Violent didn't actually fit in. They keep the backstory vague because it's not the point of the story, but still... but exactly where in that setting does a single emotionless super killing machine child soldier fit in? And after the war how the heck does she get robot arms? No one else in the show is shown with mechanical limbs and there's nothing presented to indicate how they have such technology that exceeds the best medical technology of today.

The answer here is actually pretty simple and lazy: because anime. People used to anime and its tropes may just ignore or not notice and go along with it, but I still think it kind of hurts the series for what it wants to be.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Golden-Kamui-anime.jpg

Golden Kamuy

If you want to start a new 12 episode series give this one a try it's 2 episodes in. Pretty cool story idea about hidden gold. Other than some bad choices with certain animal animations, I have enjoyed it so far and will be watching this one weekly now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Has anybody here seen Garden of Words and recommend it? I am watching a music video which has some scenes from the movie and animation is ****ing amazing.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Golden-Kamui-anime.jpg

Golden Kamuy

If you want to start a new 12 episode series give this one a try it's 2 episodes in. Pretty cool story idea about hidden gold. Other than some bad choices with certain animal animations, I have enjoyed it so far and will be watching this one weekly now.

Dude wearing the hat looks quite similar to Jotaro Kujo.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Has anybody here seen Garden of Words and recommend it? I am watching a music video which has some scenes from the movie and animation is ****ing amazing.

All of Makoto Shinkai's films look nice. I'd consider Garden of Words to maybe be one of his worst but it's probably still worth watching. It's relatively short anyways, if memory serves; probably like 40 minutes.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California

I just keep coming back to this opening. MAN WITH A MISSION is so good. Love their stuff.

I started watching another one that has it's second season going. Amanchu. I almost started it when the first season was airing.

Now I am all about the doofy face when it pops up. Cute anime about scuba diving.

42c5a2c0382ab4dc78207a9aa1c2bca51523022567_large.png
b85b2b8f27b8095bd0aa672b2271b50e1510666611_large.jpg

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That Hero Academia episode would have been 10 episodes of any other shonen and that's why that series is good.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I still have not watched a single episode of My Hero Academia and I keep getting hounded to do so at almost a sheer annoying rate.
And as I figured, I saw about a 100+ people cosplaying as the same exact character over the weekend from that show as well.

Darling in the Franxx is one that I'm about to finally start watching. as well as Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So this might have been posted in the Dragonball Super thread but theres a new "promotional" DBZ anime being released before the DBS movie:

New ‘Dragon Ball Heroes’ Anime Series Confirmed!!

Called DragonBall Heroes, this (obviously) non-canon anime will involve a a whole "timeline" type of show (similar to how the xenoverse games use it). But we are going to have everyone fusing with eachother, a ton of super saiyans from SSJ to SSJ4. Will be seeing some weird fights from SSJ4 Brolly to King Vegeta to SSJ4 Goku vs SSB Goku.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So this might have been posted in the Dragonball Super thread but theres a new "promotional" DBZ anime being released before the DBS movie:

New ‘Dragon Ball Heroes’ Anime Series Confirmed!!

Called DragonBall Heroes, this (obviously) non-canon anime will involve a a whole "timeline" type of show (similar to how the xenoverse games use it). But we are going to have everyone fusing with eachother, a ton of super saiyans from SSJ to SSJ4. Will be seeing some weird fights from SSJ4 Brolly to King Vegeta to SSJ4 Goku vs SSB Goku.

It is based off an arcade card game that is crazy popular in Japan. I think some of the basics were ported to a DS game too. They have been releasing story updates with new cards and giving everyone new forms for years now.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
FINALLY got around to watching Your Name last night. I thought it was really good, but not quite as good as a lot of people made it out to be.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Didn't realize that was a remake of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'd always heard about it and watched the 1st episode of it at one point, but never really got into it, so this is a good opportunity to do so.

Just rambling a bit now, but while I know it was in the original the whole '3 divided armies vs 1' military tactic just seems over used at this point. I'm guessing it must have been some famous historical maneuver pulled off in feudal Japan or China or something?

Also this is more a sci-fi thing but while I can still enjoy it I've always been bothered by this type of vision for the future of space travel where while we've advanced enough in technology to explore and colonize the galaxy but in other ways we've regressed back to the industrial or renaissance era. Like warfare and the lack of value in human life, where thousands upon thousands of ships line up against each other and start blasting themselves apart, as if they were rows of musketmen except the death toll probably goes 7 digits in each major engagement.

I mean I don't know it can make for entertaining sci-fi but it's kind of a ****ty view of the far future, where I like to be more optimistic and think the more advanced we become the more people value life and don't want to die.

The tactic seemed similar to what Napoleon tried to do against the coalition before losing at Waterloo and Yang's counter is basically Marathon. As for the actual tactics of LOTGH don't think about the plausibility of it just think of it like Star Wars. Most of the tactics feel like WW2 naval battles or land battles before the 20th century.

As someone who has seen the entirety of the original the story really starts to shine around the end of this first season and the upcoming three films in 2019 (episodes 16-26 in the original) that is where I was caught in a binge watching fest where before I was watching 1-2 episodes a day. Most of the adaptation so far has been fairly good though some of the recent episodes were really oversimplified and rushed mainly Castrop and Isherhorn. Its my favorite anime if you like the remake I will recommend the original OVA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad