Dubois

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So the amount retained of off-season buyouts is affected by the NHL scheduler? Is this a completely arbitrary oversight or designed this way for a reason? Help me wrap my head around this..
It's about where his birthday falls, the rules are different for buying out 25 year olds (and younger) than they are for 26 year olds (and older). Just bad luck in this case.

Reactions: The Butcher

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Looking at the the UFA’s, if the Kings move Dubois I would direct that money to a free agent who actually plays hard and with some balls like a Bertuzzi, Domi.

I would also look at players like Monahan, Toffoli.

If the Kings buyout PLD and throw another 1-2 million on top on that freed cap space they could likely afford two of any of those four players.

I would take Bertuzzi and Monahan over PLD or Toffoli and Domi.
And if we got rid of PLD, we could just roll QB, Kopitar, Danault, Thomas down the middle. Plus we might be able to upgrade the 3LD spot over Englund.

Fiala-Byfield-Kempe
xxxxxxx-Kopitar-xxxxxxx
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Turcotte-Thomas-xxxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence
Englund

xxxxxxx
Portillo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And if we got rid of PLD, we could just roll QB, Kopitar, Danault, Thomas down the middle. Plus we might be able to upgrade the 3LD spot over Englund.

Fiala-Byfield-Kempe
xxxxxxx-Kopitar-xxxxxxx
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Turcotte-Thomas-xxxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence
Englund

xxxxxxx
Portillo
this would be ideal if the Kings aren't going to sell off.

Reactions: johnjm22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Fiala-Byfield-Kempe
xxxxxxx-Kopitar-xxxxxxx
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Turcotte-Thomas-xxxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence
Englund

xxxxxxx
Portillo

I know others might disagree but I still think Turcotte is capable of playing higher up the lineup.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Turcotte - Kopitar - xxx
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
xxx - Thomas - Laferriere

There are some decent free agents too, some worth more than others. Some of the right handed forwards available are: Reinhart, Stamkos, Marchessault, Pavelski, and Toffoli, to name a few. Could slot a guy like Toffoli next to Kopitar and Turcotte in the short term.

We need to stop giving away first round picks and start focusing on our development pipeline. We need to start finding the Wyatt Johnstons and Brock Fabers of the world to supplement the talent we have.

The other goal of the offseason HAS to be get meaner. I know @Johnny Utah will appreciate that.

The even better option here is to trade a bunch of these guys, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I know others might disagree but I still think Turcotte is capable of playing higher up the lineup.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Turcotte - Kopitar - xxx
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
He might be, but you can't rely on him to stay healthy. So for now I put him on the 4th line.

There are some decent free agents too, some worth more than others. Some of the right handed forwards available are: Reinhart, Stamkos, Marchessault, Pavelski, and Toffoli, to name a few. Could slot a guy like Toffoli next to Kopitar and Turcotte in the short term.

The other goal of the offseason HAS to be get meaner. I know @Johnny Utah will appreciate that.
There's some UFA's out there that might be fairly cheap. Not just forwards, but also LD.

Give me Zadorov and Trenin. Both bring physicality while being good at hockey.

I would give Kaliyev a top 6 role. Sink or swim.

If the Kings were going for a BIG UFA, Skjei would do more for us than anyone. You'd have to give him a retirement contract though.

Skjei-Doughty
Anderson-Clarke
Gavrikov-Spence

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Fashion trends aren’t something Pierre has any control over.
He has no style is my point. Wearing a dress up watch with a tshirt is immoral and bound for swift execution. Like many things, he can’t even do style right

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
He has no style is my point. Wearing a dress up watch with a tshirt is immoral and bound for swift execution. Like many things, he can’t even do style right
Maybe next season Coach Hiller punishes Pierre for a bad game by making him choose his road trip drip from Mikey’s closet.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My main forum is outside HF.

I can NOT believe that there are Hab fans who think that if he's with the Habs, he will be different.

If he comes to the Habs it will be different alright. He will be recognized and hated on such a level that he simply can't live there. He will subjected to cat calls and insults because Quebeckers will take his failures personally.

In Quebec, hockey players can be treated like Gods. See Maurice Richard riots. There is a statue of Dryden in a mall. Or they can be treated like toxic waste.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Fiala-Byfield-Kempe
xxxxxxx-Kopitar-xxxxxxx
Moore-Danault-Laferriere
Turcotte-Thomas-xxxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence
Englund

xxxxxxx
Portillo
Kopitar Byfield Danault was always the plan at C until Kopi retires, no clue how PLD was brought into this team when a #1G was the priority last off season.

After this season there are more open holes on the roster then the last 3 years.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I can NOT believe that there are Hab fans who think that if he's with the Habs, he will be different.

If he comes to the Habs it will be different alright. He will be recognized and hated on such a level that he simply can't live there. He will subjected to cat calls and insults because Quebeckers will take his failures personally.

In Quebec, hockey players can be treated like Gods. See Maurice Richard riots. There is a statue of Dryden in a mall. Or they can be treated like toxic waste.
I think he would be different...but different doesn't mean better.

Reactions: HabsAddict

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can.

He has the attributes that all 32 teams crave at the center position.

Yes he sucks in real life, but he looks great on paper and has tremendous potential.

This is why I'm still somewhat hopeful the Kings will be able to move him. Some executive out there will think they're buying low on him.

Kopitar Byfield Danault was always the plan at C until Kopi retires, no clue how PLD was brought into this team when a #1G was the priority last off season.

After this season there are more open holes on the roster then the last 3 years.
I understand why they made the move. The Kings immediate need was center if they wanted to win RIGHT NOW.

The problem is, the center they got sucks.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
He may also prevent us from getting Byfield locked up on a steal of a contract.

We need to sign him right now to a LTC that will turn into a bargain in the future.

But we can't because we don't have cap space. Instead we have to give QB to a bridge deal, then in a few years we're gonna get f***ed when we have to sign to a ridiculous contract when the cap is over 100M.

This is exactly what they should sell it to AEG- Uncle Phil we are still spending the same amount of money, just now on a more deserving player instead. Buying out PLD will enable us to do that

So could we? Please Uncle Phil!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't shoot me but part of me wants the Kings to keep him so we don't go through another "I want to good home" as a FA and the weak minded Hab fans swallow the bait.

Best scenario, he goes to the Leafs for a huge return and brings his winning ways to them.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

You can have him for 5th round pick

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Turcotte - Kopitar - xxx
Moore - Danault - Fagemo

We need to stop giving away first round picks and start focusing on our development pipeline. We need to start finding the Wyatt Johnstons and Brock Fabers of the world to supplement the talent we have.

The even better option here is to trade a bunch of these guys, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.
If it is to get meaner, it means we have to create a proper forth line and jettison Lizotte and not stick Turcotte in his place.

The coaches have talked about depth and trying to get offensive depth from all four lines, which is stupid as we don’t even have enough offensive depth to fill three lines.

To have a guy like Fiala play with scrubs or even PLD for that matter is absolutely ridiculous. Your knee capping them before they hit the ice.

You are also having those scrubs try and play an offensive game, taking away from their defensive strength. It just creates a whole lot of nothing.

Make two pure scoring lines. Phil Danault should never be on a scoring line. Not around the NHL for his defensive game. He is the perfect third line center where he will play that defensive game yet pot some points.

After a few days of thinking about lineups, there is no way that PLD is not here next year. It is a massive buyout at 2/3 cap hit which is starting to look like that may be the case with him turning 26 before June 30 the playoffs, not expected to end in. time. I still want to see PLD as a winger and Byfield centering him with Fiala on the wing. All three can skate like the wind, have the skills to play with each other, and Bill 200 foot game is getting to be among the best on the team. Fiala is great at getting into the corners and fishing pucks and PLD likes floating off the wing to catch a pass and one timing it. Then it comes to Byfield who has uncanny vision and reach and has passed a lot of pucks into the open area in front of the net in which Kopitar and Kempe don’t seem ready for. Both PL and Fiala have quick hands that can pop those.

Kopitar is not going anywhere and will remain the de facto number one center even if he would be one of the better number two centers in the league. I would love to see him on the number two line with another defense stud in Kempe with an offensively gifted winger such as Fagemo or Kaliyev. if they need a guy that hunts pucks then Turcotte is your winger on that line. Either way you have a second line that has good scoring ability and complete defense.

Danny Is the perfect number three center like I said. Moore had a career beside him yet has the speed to play a defense game. Laf’s play improved throughout the year and I think he’ll make a big improvement last next year. This is our checking line that can add the odd goal as all three players do have an offensive touch.

Fourth line consist of talented forecheckers and face punchers. Thomas is due a chance and can play that gritty game. I am overdone with Grundstrom and his cold streaks. The guy plays five good games in a row and disappears for 20. I am done with Lizotte being used to clean the snow off the ice. Both are restricted and will cost around 1.5 and 2 million a year which is way too much money on the fourth line for what they bring. Both would have a bit of trade value and should bring back some sort of or be used to try and find their replacement.

I know I have inserted a lot of young Clares in the lineup, but we need youth contracts as we’re up against the cap and need goalies

Dubois and his massive contract could’ve been used to do this, but we cannot go back in the past to negate the trade. So we have to bandage what we have and try to get a bit of money where we can.

Doughty, Spence, and Clarke are my right pair defenseman.

I do not like our left pairing defenseman and I am not as thrilled with Anderson as most are on this board. To me he tops out as a second defenseman. Saying that would he look beautiful beside Clarke.

It’s Gavrikov’s time to go. doesn’t have an offensive bone in his body. He is basically another Anderson with less skill and grit. I try and trade him to Ottawa for Chychrun even if I have to throw Grundstrom or somebody in the trade to make it happen. It saves us mil and a 1/2 on the cap.

If Boston is out of the playoffs tonight, I could see them trading one of their goalies for positional help. Fat kid on a cookie.

And yes, I’m drinking in my hot tub and don’t have any of the contracts in front of me. I might’ve just built a $90 million roster or missed a player, but I don’t think LA is going to concede and not try and win.

I also don’t think they’re gonna trade her two legends or get a taker for a PLD. We will be dressing a runaway model from the used clothing bin.

Oh, and for coaches, it would be Rob the bid from Carolina. These players need to be yelled at once in a while

As for Luke, I give him to Quebec city so he can try and start his own team there with his super agent friend, and his best buddy Mr. biceps.

Piece of it Kings fans. I also reserved the right to your erase this post when I am sober tomorrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad