DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well he’s extremely likeable except for one thing

Last edited:
Reactions: FanSince72

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Interesting. LOL -- A Detroit fan as a kid, and younger brother a Bruins' fan. Now his brother is with Detroit and Gemel is with Boston.

His younger brother is more like a true enforcer from what I'm reading....

they might be future teammates, you never know how these things workout

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Gemel watch continues.... I'm hopefully but not going to expect the world from him. I just hope his speed and some nice scoring skills can help this team out somehow. Also wonder what # he will be wearing. Maybe Krejci will be a gentleman and give up 46? :)

BOSTON - Gemel Smith has never known anything other than Dallas during his six-year professional career. Drafted by the Stars in the fourth round of the 2012 NHL Draft, the 24-year-old suited up for 77 games over parts of three seasons with Dallas, forming plenty of relationships and memories along the way. But now the Toronto native is set for a new chapter. Claimed off of waivers by the Bruins on Thursday afternoon, Smith will make his Black & Gold debut on Saturday night against the Maple Leafs at TD Garden. "I'm excited. A new experience," said Smith, who had two goals and an assist in 14 games with Dallas this season. "I'm happy to be here and excited to get going. I've been with that organization since 2012, so I knew a lot of guys for a long time. It was a tight bond, but it's all part of the game. "I want more opportunity and I'm glad I got it here and I'm ready to show what I've got." Smith will start off as Bruce Cassidy's fourth-line left wing, alongside Sean Kuraly and Chris Wagner, and is likely to contribute on the penalty kill. Cassidy said he expects that the 5-foot-11, 195-pound left shot will provide a solid all-around presence. "He's got some time in the league, he's fast. He should help us be effective on the forecheck. He's done some penalty killing," said Cassidy. "Played in a good program there in Dallas. I suspect he'll be good away from the puck. Not sure what happened there, why he got pushed out. We're gonna put him in tonight.
"With him being out West, we don't see him a lot, so we're going more on probably our pro scouts. [GM Don Sweeney] might have a better answer for you, but he's gonna play tonight with Kuraly and Wagner and we'll see if he slides up or moves around." Smith also brings some versatility, having played all three forward positions at different points of his career. "I think I can play up and down through the lineup, bring energy," said Smith. "I think I've got skill. I can score, make plays. So I just want to be a gritty two-way kind of player that's responsible and can provide offense."

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Where is this narrative that he is a fighter coming from?

In 8 years he has 16 fights and lost or draw most of them

Hes no shrinking violet... but nothing in his history suggests to me that hes a fighter

With 21 points in under 82 games... very decent production for 4th line

And i hear hes ok defensively

And hes left shot. Having accairi and wagner as 2 right shots isnt ideal

I think we are getting a slight upgrade over these 2 guys... but im not sure hes better than nordstrom or kuraly

And thats basically his competetion once we are healthy

As a 13th foward i like him more than i like accari but they seem rather equal as far as fighters go

Reactions: bryson21

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Good luck! I appreciate the optimism around this guy. I only expect a lot of speed, maybe causing some trouble on the forecheck.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
When you have a 13 page thread on you as a trash heap pick up you know your screwed. Temper your expectations and all will end well here. Im expecting 6 games, 0 A, 1 G. That said I would not be a bit surprised if he has a welcome aboard tilt tonight which is always enjoyable.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
When you have a 13 page thread on you as a trash heap pick up you know your screwed. Temper your expectations and all will end well here. Im expecting 6 games, 0 A, 1 G. That said I would not be a bit surprised if he has a welcome aboard tilt tonight which is always enjoyable.

He added a different look to the 4th line. Saw a nice ability to handle the puck a little and a few good passes. As advertised has great wheels, can get up and down in a hurry. And resulted in drawing a penalty and also can get in ds face faster making them give up the puck quicker/not as clean decision

No doubt he clearly needs to add some mass to be better along the boards. But he is already looking much more useful than Acciari has looked in the past 5 games

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Since his brother is a Bruins fan as a kid, why not make a pitch for him. Wings screwed up by not grabbing our guy. His brother is 6'2" and a right winger. His last 2 yrs of junior he had just under 300 PIM.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Since his brother is a Bruins fan as a kid, why not make a pitch for him. Wings screwed up by not grabbing our guy. His brother is 6'2" and a right winger. His last 2 yrs of junior he had just under 300 PIM.
He has decent hands in tight and will take abuse in front of the net --Detroit has more toughness in their system than us so maybe we could make a need-for-need trade.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Also, he had a chance to light Kadri up tonight at the end of the game with a clean hit and he passed it up. 0 hits, not a great start in that department.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I liked the look of the fourth line tonight. They were all over the laffs.

He definitely has wheels and looks like some solid hockey IQ to go with it. Played some PK. Might be just what kuraly needed as well. We’ll see!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad