Confirmed with Link: Gemel Smith - Waived by Boston 12/18

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He is what he is. If he was a 30 point guy, he would not have been on waivers to begin with. He is an upgrade over Acciari for sure, works hard, and skates well. He is a good 4th liner that is not a liability out there.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He is what he is. If he was a 30 point guy, he would not have been on waivers to begin with. He is an upgrade over Acciari for sure, works hard, and skates well. He is a good 4th liner that is not a liability out there.

He hasn't had a proper shot to be deemed only a 4th liner

I don't rely on the usage from one organization/not enough games to warrant a permanent label

From what i have seen so far, dont get why the Stars benched him/limited his min....but we will see what happens

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Wouls love to see Gemel Smith compete at the fastest skating competition. Would he qualify?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He hasn't had a proper shot to be deemed only a 4th liner

I don't rely on the usage from one organization/not enough games to warrant a permanent label

From what i have seen so far, dont get why the Stars benched him/limited his min....but we will see what happens

Perhaps not. He could turn into something more. I have watched a lot of Stars hockey the past few years and always liked him, but never thought of him as more than what he has been. He could play 3rd line right now in a time of need, but a new coach, new system, new teammates, new confidence? He might have more in him.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Perhaps not. He could turn into something more. I have watched a lot of Stars hockey the past few years and always liked him, but never thought of him as more than what he has been. He could play 3rd line right now in a time of need, but a new coach, new system, new teammates, new confidence? He might have more in him.

Yup. On this team he could play on the 3rd line

Two times he was tapping the ice for the puck but Wagner didnt know what to do

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I've liked what I've seen from Smith. Loads of energy on Sunday against the Sens. Seems to want the puck and loves to bring an adrenaline rush out there.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I've liked what I've seen from Smith. Loads of energy on Sunday against the Sens. Seems to want the puck and loves to bring an adrenaline rush out there.

I agree, and hopefully it will last.

Sometimes players get a burst of energy from being in a new team then fizzle out.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Again, wish him luck but was not impressed at his decision making in his own end for that goal. Wrong side of the ice, puck watching, then with all the talk about his speed, he slowly glides back to his coverage and reaches to try to block that shot.
OK everyone gets sucked out of position at times, but a bottom 6 energy forward, new to the team, would have won over a lot of people if he had shown more effort recovering to block that one.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Again, wish him luck but was not impressed at his decision making in his own end for that goal. Wrong side of the ice, puck watching, then with all the talk about his speed, he slowly glides back to his coverage and reaches to try to block that shot.
OK everyone gets sucked out of position at times, but a bottom 6 energy forward, new to the team, would have won over a lot of people if he had shown more effort recovering to block that one.

He passed the puck to Kuraly who mishandled the puck

The guy is not really a 4th line player. Should be given an audition on the third

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Yet on another play he came back hard on a back check and stole the puck and went the other way.

He still hasn't had a practice with the Bruins. Played Saturday, Sunday, off day Monday and played Tuesday.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Yet on another play he came back hard on a back check and stole the puck and went the other way.

He still hasn't had a practice with the Bruins. Played Saturday, Sunday, off day Monday and played Tuesday.

True, he came back and had a good fast shift after. I give credit to Cassidy for putting him out there again, I think other coaches might not have.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
True, he came back and had a good fast shift after. I give credit to Cassidy for putting him out there again, I think other coaches might not have.

It's as much a learning curve for Cassidy as it is for Smith. Cassidy admitted he knew absolutely nothing about the player when the Bruins claimed him. (He could have saved himself some trouble and asked me, but of course the Bruins don't do that :laugh:)

But Cassidy must see something he likes to have him in there instead of Acciari.

It's going to be a learning curve for coaches and player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad